#1201 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

View PostThontor, on 17 December 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

There are some vague similarities... But it's nothing like the unseen mechs where the art was practically traced.

I would have never guessed the Leopard was based on the Minerva.

As much similarity with the Minerva as the Minerva with the Star Wars ships (and most science fiction material out there).

#1202 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

What you all forget is that there is "nothing" keeping PGI from coming up with their "own" versions of the unseen mechs. Their modelers could very easy remodel those designs into something that looks similar or even completely different and add them to this game without any worries from Harmony Gold. I would highly encourage PGI to go this route so they will not have any issues with copy righted material.

#1203 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

View PostCutterWolf, on 18 December 2012 - 06:56 AM, said:

What you all forget is that there is "nothing" keeping PGI from coming up with their "own" versions of the unseen mechs. Their modelers could very easy remodel those designs into something that looks similar or even completely different and add them to this game without any worries from Harmony Gold. I would highly encourage PGI to go this route so they will not have any issues with copy righted material.

Agreed. Last I checked (and it's been a while) as long as a design has ~15% variation, it does not infringe on the intellectual property of others. Course, a lawsuit could be needed to define the 15% variation on each design. I would really like to see the unseen/reseen in the game and NOT the Project Phoenix designs (most of them are aesthetically displeasing).

#1204 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

How can something bee unseen, when I can clearly see it in my sig. I want it!

#1205 UtaraptorRed

Rookie

• Point Commander
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

So, as far as I got it, I will never see Vulture in MWO? It's my favorite one, so I'm quite dissapointed.

#1206 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

View PostRedrik Hunt, on 18 December 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

So, as far as I got it, I will never see Vulture in MWO? It's my favorite one, so I'm quite dissapointed.

Read this.

PS: you are a MW4 player, I can see. You will be quite disappointed with MWO anyway, because the MW4's Vulture has little to do with the real mech (which is quite a bad mech, BTW).

Edited by Odanan, 18 December 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#1207 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostCutterWolf, on 18 December 2012 - 06:56 AM, said:

Agreed. There is nothing except a minority of players, those who would shout:

"This Warhammer is ugly! I want the real Warhammer!"

I made a pool some time ago asking people about the unseen/reseen. About a quarter said they would accept nothing but the Unseen.

And please consider this: what do you really like in the Unseen? It is the looks (and the good memories of the old times attached) or the weapons/hardpoints disposition? If it is the first option, there is nothing PGI can do about. And if it is the second option, you can actually emulate most of the Unseen mechs with variants in game.

Want a Marauder? Get a Cataphract.
Want a Rifleman? Get a Jagermech or Blackjack.
Want an Archer? Get a Catapult.
Want a Locust? Get a Flea.
And so on...

Edited by Odanan, 18 December 2012 - 02:41 PM.

#1208 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

ever since the introduction of the Classy Mech cockpit item, should the Urbanmech be a possible mech in the near future?

#1209 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostOdanan, on 18 December 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

I made a pool some time ago asking people about the unseen/reseen. About a quarter said they would accept nothing but the Unseen.

And please consider this: what do you really like in the Unseen? It is the looks (and the good memories of the old times attached) or the weapons/hardpoints disposition? If it is the first option, there is nothing PGI can do about. And if it is the second option, you can actually emulate most of the Unseen mechs with variants in game.

And so on...

I don't agree, were those designs cool looking? Of course but it does not mean in any way shape or form that they can not be improved on. I have see many artist who have come up with better looking unseen Mechs versions then the ones Harmony Gold has. And trust me, you add them into game with even better looking designs and the players will forget all about the other ones.......

#1210 Kai Allard-Liao

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

View PostOdanan, on 18 December 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

And so on...

I don't know. I would kill to have the Marauder in the game, only because of the memories and I loved the way it looked. If they had a reseen version and slapped 'Marauder' on it, it wouldn't be the same. I would say just rename it and not call it a Marauder. I agree that the hardpoints and stats are what make Mechs useful in this game, but it 'd be nice to see a throwback here and there.

#1211 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:57 AM

View PostShadowHammer, on 18 December 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

I don't know. I would kill to have the Marauder in the game, only because of the memories and I loved the way it looked. If they had a reseen version and slapped 'Marauder' on it, it wouldn't be the same. I would say just rename it and not call it a Marauder. I agree that the hardpoints and stats are what make Mechs useful in this game, but it 'd be nice to see a throwback here and there.

See my point, CutterWolf?

#1212 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

The name ShadowHammer says a lot about the owner. :)

#1213 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

I understand if the devs don't use any Unseen/Reseen in this game.

Imagine you are making a game about Star Wars and the Tie Fighter have legal issues - you can't use the original design. Should you make a different design for it and just put the name "Tie Fighter" or should you use the newer Tie Interceptor instead, which is not very different in terms of role and "performance"?

#1214 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostOdanan, on 18 December 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

(which is quite a bad mech, BTW).

A better Catapult all around. Nothing pecial, but nothing to stamp "Urbie level" on.

It could surely kick Orion's "sitting acutator", to say at least. :)

View PostOdanan, on 18 December 2012 - 02:52 AM, said:

As much similarity with the Minerva as the Minerva with the Star Wars ships (and most science fiction material out there).

True, but tell that to the lawyers.

#1215 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

View PostOdanan, on 19 December 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

See my point, CutterWolf?

Your not seeing mine. I'll use cars as my example, The Mustang has changed a lot over the years but people still like it and they still know its a Mustang even tho it shares very few if at all stile cues from the 1964 model. The same will also hold true for the unseens. The big reason why people liked them to start with is that the art work on most all other models at the time they came out totally sucked so the cool factor took over even tho other Mechs out classed them in performance. If the Dev's build it they will come........

#1216 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

View PostCutterWolf, on 19 December 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

Your not seeing mine. I'll use cars as my example, The Mustang has changed a lot over the years but people still like it and they still know its a Mustang even tho it shares very few if at all stile cues from the 1964 model. The same will also hold true for the unseens. The big reason why people liked them to start with is that the art work on most all other models at the time they came out totally sucked so the cool factor took over even tho other Mechs out classed them in performance. If the Dev's build it they will come........

I would also like to point out the popularity of the retro designs. Mustang, Challenger....... Beautiful cars with a definitive tip of the hat to the old style.
Apply it to the Unseen/Reseen.
Just avoid the Project Phoenix art (which based on PGI's artwork thus far shouldn't be hard to do). And LAMs, avoid those at all costs......

#1217 GenJack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Please sweet Dev's Consider http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sunder

I will love you for most of your lives :)

#1218 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

View PostGenJack, on 19 December 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

Please sweet Dev's Consider http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sunder

I will love you for most of your lives :)

Too soon. I'm sure it will eventually be introduced, just not for another 6 years.

Introduced 3056

#1219 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Is it today? Heck, I'm almost giving up...

Posted Image

Edited by Odanan, 19 December 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#1220 Knox

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Give me a Flashman and I will give PGI all my money. Who doesn't want a cavalry heavy with almost 10 laser points?

97 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 97 guests, 0 anonymous users