#1341 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostOdanan, on 26 December 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

No and no.

While Devastator is time-wise, all its 3 variants are the same thing and it's just too good for MWO (it would make obsolete the Atlas and the Awesome).

The Rampage is not produced for centuries.

I want a Devastator....

#1342 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostButane9000, on 26 December 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

I want a Devastator....

I would love to see the Devestator http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Devastator in game as well. Some people will say it is OP but what some dont realize is this 'Mech was a stepping stone for other 'Mechs built that countered Clan technology. The Gauss Rifle was one of the few weapons the Inner Sphere had that competed with Clan technology on almost a one for one scale. It has the same range profile and damage as the Clan version. Just like Double Heat Sinks you start to see this weapon adapted to 'Mechs on a largely growing scale. As the timeline progressed the Inner Sphere began to see more designs that followed this route until eventually you ended up with one of the pinnacles of this design philosphy, the Thunderhawk http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thunder_Hawk. People are planning for the game as it is now. What will be done when the Clans are introduced and there are no 'Mechs in game that are directed at handling this threat? This is a 'Mech that if announced would arrive in time to meet the Clans head on and help towards balancing issues that are sure to appear.

Anyway, as much I would like to see the Devestator am I almost certain the next assault 'Mech will be the Banshee http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Banshee for all the reasons previously listed.

[Edit: Typo]

Edited by Sennin, 26 December 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#1343 Lagfest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIn a Mech

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Rampage was 2735
Upgraded in 2750
Final upgrade 2767

Sarna

#1344 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

<S> Greetings once more.

Well, we're down to one last assault before we start the cycle anew once more. I have to say I dig the Blackjack, and the Orion especially. Both 'mechs artwork certainly got a much deserved face lift.

Now we move on to speculation mode.. and there's certainly a lot to go around.

Front runners already named: Banshee, Zeus, Victor(?), and Cyclops.

I expect, of this list, we'll likely get the Banshee. It's a fairly common 'mech, and has a lot of potential for weapon hardpoints. It'll also be unique in that in several of it's configurations it trades firepower for speed. I'd be curious to see how it's implemented and what it's weapon configurations/hard points will look like. Many of it's main weapons are torso mounted, which will make it play similar to an Atlas or Stalker in that regard. Certainly has potential, to be sure.

I personally would like to see the Zeus. People call it the Orion's big brother, but it will play very very differently from the venerable Orion.

Firstly, like the Highlander, it has a ballistic hard point (or two) mounted in one arm and it's primary missile hardpoint(s) in the other arm. Meaning it'll be able to bring those weapons on target that much faster vs. a torso mounted weapon system.

This is why I think we may just be surprised and see it over the Banshee. It's different in the same way the Highlander is, with more arm-mounted weaponry in the assault category.

I'd like to throw one more 'dark horse' into the running too. Mostly because people would likely sh*t gold bricks if they saw one on the field...

Can we say: Nightstar?

95 tons Assault 'mech with an XL Engine, Two arm mounted Gauss Rifles with SEVEN TONS of ammo to feed them both, an ERPPC, a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers, and a Small Laser to round out the weaponry.

The secondary variant of this 'mech has a bigger XL Engine, a pair of LB 10x Autocannons, the ERPPC is retained, and the lasers are now comprised of a trio of regular Mediums instead of the standard variant's medium pulses and small laser.

Why I don't think we'll see the Nighstar yet: Outside of a Solaris variant that uses tech we don't have yet, and a 'Hero' variant using Clan 'tech as well (Clan Gauss rifles) the above two listed variants are the only ones for the Nightstar. Doesn't mean we won't see it, but I know PGI likes to have at least three variants for each 'mech, and sadly the Nighstar only has two at present using the tech currently in-game. It would certainly be one of, if not THE MOST expensive 'mech you could purchase outside of an AS7-K.

Just my thoughts, let the speculation continue!

<S>

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

Edited by HAV0C, 26 December 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#1345 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:36 AM

View PostHAV0C, on 26 December 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

I'd like to throw one more 'dark horse' into the running too. Mostly because people would likely sh*t gold bricks if they saw one on the field...

Can we say: Nightstar?

95 tons Assault 'mech with an XL Engine, Two arm mounted Gauss Rifles with SEVEN TONS of ammo to feed them both, an ERPPC, a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers, and a Small Laser to round out the weaponry.

If my little research is correct, then it's completely extinct before the clan invasion and is basically one of the IS response mechs.

And I don't see anyone pooing gold bricks either, since it has the same fault as the Devastator... XL engine. Have you ever faced an XL Atlas in the field? I did in pugs and the average lifespan is 10 seconds of battle. :D

#1346 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

View PostAdridos, on 27 December 2012 - 02:36 AM, said:

If my little research is correct, then it's completely extinct before the clan invasion and is basically one of the IS response mechs.

And I don't see anyone pooing gold bricks either, since it has the same fault as the Devastator... XL engine. Have you ever faced an XL Atlas in the field? I did in pugs and the average lifespan is 10 seconds of battle. :P

It is 'extinct' but started back production in the late 3040's if my memory serves me (Don't quote me though, it might be the 3050's). It's a Star League era assault mech that gets rediscovered in the Helm Memory Core and production resumes some time later.

I'm saying people will find the stock config very powerful, and considering it has the tonnage to run a standard engine of reasonable size while retaining a pair of Gauss Rifles, plentiful ammo, backup weapons + the heatsinks to use them, and armor (it's 95 tons for crying out loud), it would be a formidable platform for sniping since the Gauss would be arm mounted. That's the reason why I expect people to have issue with it, it's a cataphract with 25 extra tons stacked on top of it, sporting at minimum of four extra energy hardpoints. That's why I expect (were it to be announced) the golden bricks might flow.

Just my opinion on that of course :D Your milage may vary.

The Highlander is already announced, so anything beyond that is gravy to me. Like I said, my personal preference for the next 'mech, if it is indeed an assault, would be the Zeus. I like the Banshee, I really do, I think it's a neat looking 'mech and would LOVE to see Alex Iglesias's take on it in MWO, but the Zeus is certainly a venerable favorite that I would love to see included first if I were given the choice.

<S> See you gents dirtside. :D

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

#1347 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

The Banshee looks too similar to the Atlas. I hope PGI picks a mech more unique for MWO, like King Crab!

Banshee
http://terratox1.dev...3638183#/dld9m1
Posted Image

King Crab
http://browse.devian...g+Crab#/d18xfsm
Posted Image

Edited by Maverick01, 27 December 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#1348 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 27 December 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

The Banshee looks too similar to the Atlas. I hope PGI picks a mech more unique for MWO!

Posted Image

Nice 3D modeling. Is that the only model or is there a site with more? I'm an engineer with no artistic ability so this kind of thing fascinates me ;).

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by cdlord, 27 December 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#1349 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

View Postcdlord, on 27 December 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Is that the only model or is there a site with more? I'm an engineer with no artistic ability so this kind of thing fascinates me ;).

Well, his DeviantArt has quite a bunch of mech models. But if you want more Banshee models...

#1350 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 27 December 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

The Banshee looks too similar to the Atlas. I hope PGI picks a mech more unique for MWO, like King Crab!

Banshee
http://terratox1.dev...3638183#/dld9m1

King Crab
http://browse.devian...g+Crab#/d18xfsm

The King Crab is probably the most badass looking mech out there. I don't think it will be in the game so soon, tough (for several reasons you can read in the OP).

#1351 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Well, look at this:

Posted Image

#1352 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

The King Crab is unlikely to be in anytime soon because one needs to be able to split the AC/2os across the arms and the side-torsos just to build two of the three timeline-appropriate variants.
Until that capability is added, players would not be able to (re)build the canon variants.

The Devastator is unlikely to be in anytime soon because it has only two timeline-appropriate variants (the DVS-1D and the DVS-2), with the third variant (the DVS-3) not coming into existence until 3058 (and the fourth and final canon variant, the DVS-X10 doesn't come into being until 3075).
Without a minimum of three variants, the 'Mech would not work in MWO's XP/skill system.

The Mauler is unlikely to be in anytime soon because it has only two variants until the 3060 release of the MAL-2R.
Again: without a minimum of three variants, the 'Mech would not work in MWO's XP/skill system.

The Nightstar is unlikely to be in anytime soon because it became extinct during the Succession Wars, wasn't put back into production until ~3056, and doesn't get its third variant until 3065.
Yet again: without a minimum of three variants, the 'Mech would not work in MWO's XP/skill system.

The Annihilator is unlikely to be in anytime soon because the Wolf's Dragoons canonically made a point of keeping it exclusive to themselves until the WoB J***d (and even then, they only shared the design with one other group: Clan Wolf-in-Exile).
No one else in the IS has the designs or equipment to produce them, and the Dragoons would have taken great care to recover or utterly annihilate wrecked Annihilators, in order to prevent capture and reverse-engineering of the remains.

#1353 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

As the most iconic Mech in the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe a re-seen version of the Archer should really be considered. The list of pilots that have piloted an Archer in the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe Include Jamie and Joshua Wolf, Morgan Kell, The Wolfs Dragons Merc Company's, and a host of others. Not only should a re-seen version be offered in game, it should be offered in a heroic version. It might be an old design, but it has many variants.

As the most iconic Mech in the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe a re-seen version of the Archer should really be considered. The list of pilots that have piloted an Archer in the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe Include Jamie and Joshua Wolf, Morgan Kell, The Wolfs Dragons Merc Company's, and a host of others. Not only should a re-seen version be offered in game, it should be offered in a heroic version. It might be an old design, but it has many variants.

#1354 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostBeo Vulf, on 27 December 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

The Archer is very similar to the Catapult, you know... some variants would have identical hardpoints with Catapult variants.

Not that I think it shouldn't be added to the game - most Reseen should. The problem is: unless this game has like 60+ mechs and the roles start to overlap, I see no chance for the Archer.

View PostStrum Wealh, on 27 December 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

The King Crab is unlikely to be in anytime soon because one needs to be able to split the AC/2os across the arms and the side-torsos just to build two of the three timeline-appropriate variants.
Until that capability is added, players would not be able to (re)build the canon variants.

The Devastator is unlikely to be in anytime soon because it has only two timeline-appropriate variants (the DVS-1D and the DVS-2), with the third variant (the DVS-3) not coming into existence until 3058 (and the fourth and final canon variant, the DVS-X10 doesn't come into being until 3075).
Without a minimum of three variants, the 'Mech would not work in MWO's XP/skill system.

The Mauler is unlikely to be in anytime soon because it has only two variants until the 3060 release of the MAL-2R.
Again: without a minimum of three variants, the 'Mech would not work in MWO's XP/skill system.

The Nightstar is unlikely to be in anytime soon because it became extinct during the Succession Wars, wasn't put back into production until ~3056, and doesn't get its third variant until 3065.
Yet again: without a minimum of three variants, the 'Mech would not work in MWO's XP/skill system.

The Annihilator is unlikely to be in anytime soon because the Wolf's Dragoons canonically made a point of keeping it exclusive to themselves until the WoB J***d (and even then, they only shared the design with one other group: Clan Wolf-in-Exile).
No one else in the IS has the designs or equipment to produce them, and the Dragoons would have taken great care to recover or utterly annihilate wrecked Annihilators, in order to prevent capture and reverse-engineering of the remains.

This^

#1355 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

I agree with everything you said and though the DVS-3 is added in the 3058 Record Sheets it is basically a field modification to give the 'Mech more ammo. It uses no different technology than is already available in game unlike the other 'Mechs you have highlighted. I am a fan of the DVS-2, I haven't hidden that fact in the slightest, I'm just saying it is not a stretch to have this variant available in order to fit the 'Mech into MWO. Look at the Yen-Lo-Wang for instance, it should have a giant hatchet and a tiny engine, instead it mounts no hatchet and a larger engine than what is on the record sheet. I get someone will argue that the YLW is a special circumstance but I argue that the 'Mech was something they wanted in game bad enough to bend the rules in order to make it happen. There were other 'Mechs that could have been implemented that did not require any deviation from the record sheet. I am more or less making this argument for the sake of the discussion. I am fairly certain, as you seem to be, that the next assault will be the Banshee.

#1356 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

No matter. I can live with the "minimum of three variants theory", cause we need three variants, but i don't give a *censored* about rareness or faction availability. The Annihilator is a nice candidate for the next 100 ton assault mech and it has enough variants, but please give us the Banshee first. :)

Edited by The Birdeater, 28 December 2012 - 03:11 AM.

#1357 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Just my personal opinion, and it may be unpopular. But I think the Atlas should remain the only 100 ton Mech for quite some time. They should intro at a ratio of 3 mediums to every 2 lights to every 1 heavy. And for every 3rd heavy, slip an assault in there. There should be far more mediums (the workhorse class), then lights (important scouting and maneuverability), then heavies (upgrade to heavies), then finally assaults (kept for that final push). IMO, there are far too many assaults in each match as it is.
Well, there it is, unpopular no doubt, but just my opinion.

#1358 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

View Postcdlord, on 28 December 2012 - 06:07 AM, said:

IMO, there are far too many assaults in each match as it is.

It's only the relative newness of Stalker and D-DC that couses this. :lol:

#1359 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

View PostAdridos, on 28 December 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

It's only the relative newness of Stalker and D-DC that couses this. :lol:

Hoping it's just the FotM, but getting tired of 8 mans where I play my Hunch because we are a "Play what you want to play" group vs 3x RVN-3L + 5x D-DC/Stalkers.....

#1360 Elwood Blues

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

What is keeping the Thug out of the running? Already an 80 tonner? Variant issues?

47 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 47 guests, 0 anonymous users