Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#1361 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

View PostElwood Blues, on 28 December 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

What is keeping the Thug out of the running? Already an 80 tonner? Variant issues?

Variant Issues.
There exists a downgrade and an upgrade that wouldnt change the main variants hardpoints.
There are other variants but those use non available tech.

#1362 Olyndicus

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDekalb, Illinois, United States

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Is it just me or does the Highlander mech look like Walle from that Disney movie, after I made this comparison it became painful to look at that mech. If it plays well then it doesn't matter. I hope I don't steer anyone away from what may be a good mech, it is aesthetically disappointing. https://www.google.c...4FsvvrAHFz4CwBA

#1363 Norris J Packard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostOlyndicus, on 28 December 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

Is it just me or does the Highlander mech look like Walle from that Disney movie, after I made this comparison it became painful to look at that mech. If it plays well then it doesn't matter. I hope I don't steer anyone away from what may be a good mech, it is aesthetically disappointing. https://www.google.c...4FsvvrAHFz4CwBA

Just you.

#1364 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

<S> Greetings all.

So what's the consensus?

I'm looking at 60% probability we'll see the Banshee next, and 40% probability we'll see the Zeus.

It would normally be skewed a little heavier in the Banshee's favor, however if you take into account the raw number of people who are very big fans of the Zeus it warrants a little more of an even spread of percentage.

Now, moving forwards, after this next 'mech is announced do people expect another round of four I.S. 'mechs, or should we start to expect clan 'mechs being announced after January?

Here's my predictions for the next round of 'mechs for both sides:

I.S. 'Mechs:

Light: Panther (Or Wolfhound)
Medium: Dervish (Or, Assassin? Fast Medium with jump jets, could be fun)
Heavy: Grasshopper (Or Guillotine?)
Assault: Zeus (Or Banshee if the Zeus is announced next)

Clan 'Mechs:

Light: Uller (Kit Fox)
Medium: Ryoken (Stormcrow)
Heavy: Madcat (Timberwolf. Though I'd personally like to see the Summoner/Thor first myself. :) )
Assault: Daishi (Dire Wolf. Though, once more, I'd personally like to see the Gargoyle/Man 'O War if I had my choice.)

Just my thoughts. <S> See y'all Dirtside.

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

Edited by HAV0C, 29 December 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#1365 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostHAV0C, on 29 December 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

<S> Greetings all.

So what's the consensus?

I'm looking at 60% probability we'll see the Banshee next, and 40% probability we'll see the Zeus.

It would normally be skewed a little heavier in the Banshee's favor, however if you take into account the raw number of people who are very big fans of the Zeus it warrants a little more of an even spread of percentage.

Now, moving forwards, after this next 'mech is announced do people expect another round of four I.S. 'mechs, or should we start to expect clan 'mechs being announced after January?

Here's my predictions for the next round of 'mechs for both sides:

I.S. 'Mechs:

Light: Panther (Or Wolfhound)
Medium: Dervish (Or, Assassin? Fast Medium with jump jets, could be fun)
Heavy: Grasshopper (Or Guillotine?)
Assault: Zeus (Or Banshee if the Zeus is announced next)

Clan 'Mechs:

Light: Uller (Kit Fox)
Medium: Ryoken (Stormcrow)
Heavy: Madcat (Timberwolf. Though I'd personally like to see the Summoner/Thor first myself. :) )
Assault: Daishi (Dire Wolf. Though, once more, I'd personally like to see the Gargoyle/Man 'O War if I had my choice.)

Just my thoughts. <S> See y'all Dirtside.

There will never be a consensus, but I strongly believe the next wave is of clan mechs.

About your listed mechs:

Light mechs:
  • Panther: too slow for a small mech, all variants are the same thing.
  • Wolfhound: no minimum 3 variants.
Medium mechs:
  • Dervish: too similar to the Trebuchet, barely has 3 variants.
  • Assassin: fun mech, but barely has 3 variants - and one of them is known to have only 3 mechs produced.
Heavy mechs:
  • Grasshopper/Guillotine: strong candidates to appear in the game (but not both, as they are too similar).
Assault mechs:
  • Zeus (40%), Banshee (35%), Hatamoto Chi (25%)
The fact it is hard to find even 1 more fitting mech for each weight class (except Assault and Heavy) and the fact the Clan Invasion to the IS proper is imminent indicates there won't be more IS mechs announcements in 2013, at least not before all the 16 omni clan mechs are shown.

Edited by Odanan, 29 December 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#1366 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostOdanan, on 29 December 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

There will never be a consensus, but I strongly believe the next wave is of clan mechs.

About your listed mechs:

Light mechs:
  • Panther: too slow for a small mech, all variants are the same thing.
  • Wolfhound: no minimum 3 variants.
Medium mechs:
  • Dervish: too similar to the Trebuchet, barely has 3 variants.
  • Assassin: fun mech, but barely has 3 variants - and one of them is known to have only 3 mechs produced.
Heavy mechs:
  • Grasshopper/Guillotine: strong candidates to appear in the game (but not both, as they are too similar).
Assault mechs:
  • Zeus (40%), Banshee (35%), Hatamoto Chi (25%)
The fact it is hard to find even 1 more fitting mech for each weight class (except Assault and Heavy) and the fact the Clan Invasion to the IS proper is imminent indicates there won't be more IS mechs announcements in 2013, at least not before all the 16 omni clan mechs are shown.

<S> Odanan

What light do you think if not one of those two I listed? Mongoose perhaps?

Yea the mediums are kinda tough to find a fit for. I went with Dervish just so we could have a 55 tonner. What're your thoughts?

Heavy would be one or the other. I like the Grasshopper personally but don't mind the Guillotine

And yea, glad to see we agree in our preference for the Zeus :)

<S> See ya dirtside

#1367 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Nuff said here. BattleMech Nr. 20 should be the Banshee, cause it's a 95 ton mech with lots of variants and i hope we see more I.S. Mechs.

Light: Firestarter (enough different variants and all with JJ's, but unfortunately a 35 ton mech again)
Medium: Kintaro (we need a 55 ton mech)
Heavy: Grasshopper or Champion (unfortunately the Champ is too similar to the Dragon)
Assault: Annihilator (i know.... rare, one faction only bla bla, but that isn't a reason to omit it. Enough different variants)

Edited by The Birdeater, 29 December 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#1368 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

I do remember it being pointed out that the Devs are retaining creative licensing to fill the gaps and for creative design. Having said that, while still a factor, not having the required minimum of 3 variants should not weigh as heavily as it might. If a popular mech (ex, Wolfhound) does not have three viable variants, nothing is stopping the devs from filling in the gap.

#1369 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

View Postcdlord, on 29 December 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

I do remember it being pointed out that the Devs are retaining creative licensing to fill the gaps and for creative design. Having said that, while still a factor, not having the required minimum of 3 variants should not weigh as heavily as it might. If a popular mech (ex, Wolfhound) does not have three viable variants, nothing is stopping the devs from filling in the gap.

By the same logic, PGI could also turn out original 'Mechs.

The Deimos started as a MekTek 'Mech for their MW4 MekPaks, and it was eventually canonized by Catalyst.

[color=#000000]Virtual World Entertainment will be unveiling new [/color]BattleTech[color=#000000] board game compatible minis of MekTek’s officially canonized custom BattleMech, the [/color]Deimos[color=#000000]. MekTek will also be on hand with some exclusive MekTek embroidered gear to commemorate the event.[/color]

It's not inconceivable that PGI/IGP could submit designs to CGL, and have said designs canonized specifically to help MWO... :)

#1370 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostHAV0C, on 29 December 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

What light do you think if not one of those two I listed? Mongoose perhaps?

As Birdeater said, Firestarter all the way.

View PostStrum Wealh, on 29 December 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

By the same logic, PGI could also turn out original 'Mechs.

The Deimos started as a MekTek 'Mech for their MW4 MekPaks, and it was eventually canonized by Catalyst.

It's not inconceivable that PGI/IGP could submit designs to CGL, and have said designs canonized specifically to help MWO... :)

They are creating hero mechs, that's enough for me. There are too many canon designs out there to start making new ones.

#1371 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Per my last major post on the subject. Obviously not all of those are going to get into the game. I am starting to believe like Odanan that after the next assault announcement they will begin the Clan mech announcements. Honestly since all 16 starting clan mechs will be in here is the order I imagine they'll be announced:

First wave:
Light - Kit Fox/Uller
Medium - Ice Ferret/Fenris
Heavy - Timber Wolf/Mad Cat
Assault - Dire Wolf/Daishi

Second wave:
Light - Adder/Puma
Medium - Nova/Black Hawk
Heavy - Mad Dog/Vulture
Assault - Warhawk/Masakari

Third wave:
Light - Fire Moth/Dasher
Medium - Viper/Dragonfly
Heavy - Summoner/Thor
Assault - Executioner/Gladiator

Fourth "final" wave:
Light - Mist Lynx/Koshi
Medium - Stormcrow/Ryoken
Heavy - Hellbringer/Loki
Assault - Gargoyle/Man O' War

Now in regards to possible future mechs you can refer to my previous post. However as for other likely candidates and contenders I choose:

Lights
Mongoose
Hermes
Javelin

Mediums
Hermes II
Whitworth
Crab
Enforcer
Dervish

Heavies
Grasshopper
Lancelot

Assaults
Charger
Cyclops

Some of these mechs have counter-parts or mechs that do similar things announced already. But the I believe the developers will add more mechs, even ones that do the same thing over time to give us an even greater variety of choices.

#1372 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

I want to see Urbanmech's added.

As Hero mechs.

*cackles*

Best. Money. Making. Scheme. Evar.

#1373 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostOdanan, on 29 December 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

I disagree with Odanan. I think the developers will do ONE MORE ROUND of Inner Sphere BattleMech announcements after BattleMech 20 is released. The developers have said numerous times on NGNG podcasts that they want to add as many mechs as possible to MWO. Here are my predictions:

BattleMech 20: Zeus
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Zeus

BatlleMech 21: Firestarter
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Firestarter

BattleMech 22: Crab
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Crab

BattleMech 23: Grasshopper
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Grasshopper

BattleMech 24: Banshee
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Banshee

BattleMech 25: Clan Battlemechs (~ Start around March 2013)

Edited by Maverick01, 29 December 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#1374 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 29 December 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

A 50 ton mech again? :D We already have three of them (Cent, Treb, Hunch).
What is with the 55 ton mechs? Still no announcement here. Hoplite, Dervish, Kintaro?

Your thoughts?

OH YES PLS! :D

#1375 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

Someone has hots for lasers...
No, not the Crab. Another 50 tonner with all its variants with the same energy hardpoints (borrrrrring). Why don't you guys just pilot the HBK-4P?

#1376 Ryolacap

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

I would like to see the whitworth 40 ton humaniod and the warhammer- dream

#1377 Olyndicus

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDekalb, Illinois, United States

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 28 December 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

Just you.

Ouch..sorry

#1378 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

I disagree with Odanan. I think the developers will do ONE MORE ROUND of Inner Sphere BattleMech announcements after BattleMech 20 is released. The developers have said numerous times on NGNG podcasts that they want to add as many mechs as possible to MWO. Here are my predictions:

BattleMech 20: Zeus
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Zeus

BattleMech 23: Grasshopper
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Grasshopper

BattleMech 24: Banshee
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Banshee

BattleMech 25: Clan Battlemechs (~ Start around March 2013)

That's a possibility. It might come down to it because the clan invasion doesn't happen till what, March and April? So if they ramp up the announcements they can get 1 additional wave out. Then the 4 weeks before the invasion begins they can do a special wave release as I stated above.

View PostThe Birdeater, on 30 December 2012 - 12:46 AM, said:

A 50 ton mech again? :D We already have three of them (Cent, Treb, Hunch).
What is with the 55 ton mechs? Still no announcement here. Hoplite, Dervish, Kintaro?

Your thoughts?

[size=5][size=4]

OH YES PLS! :)

I believe they'll go with something other then the Crab. But I disagree that the Hoplite is an option. Were more likely to see the Kintaro or Hermes II. Though I still think the Vindicator would be a good choice.

As for the Firestarter it's possible. Between it and the Panther it might actually come first. Especially since the lights are supposed to be fast and we all know that's one thing the Panther is not. However we do have two 35 ton lights already. Who knows, they might very well opt to go with a lighter tonnage mech instead.

#1379 Deskup

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

Want a kingcrab. So very want it.
It actually makes a reasonable ballistic-centered assault. Stalker and awesome are both energy+missiles, and atlas is a multiple weapon planform.

#1380 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostDeskup, on 30 December 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

Want a kingcrab. So very want it.
It actually makes a reasonable ballistic-centered assault. Stalker and awesome are both energy+missiles, and atlas is a multiple weapon planform.

The King Crab has the AC-splitting issue, which is likely to prevent it being implemented unless and until the MechLab allows AC/20s to be split across locations.

The Annihilator effectively does not exist outside of the Wolf's Dragoons; the Clans stopped building them before the beginning of their "Golden Century" (which began with Nick Kerensky's death in 2834), and the IS (outside of the Dragoons) never had the facilities to produce them (the SLDF took the blueprints before production began).

All of the other "typical" assault-class ballistic boats (e.g. Mauler, Pillager, Nightstar, Thunder Hawk, etc) don't fet a third variant until the mid-3060s at the earliest, and/or are extinct until the mid-3050s (e.g. after the Clans are defeated by ComStar at Tukayyid).

The "best bet", as it were, for a makeshift assault-class ballistics boat is the 80-ton Victor - specifically the VTR-9A and VTR-9A1.
The VTR-9A1 carries its AC/20 in the right arm, and adds a Machine Gun in each leg (which, for MWO, would likely be moved up to the respective side-torsos) - for a total of three ballistic hardpoints (in addition to 2 MLas, 1 SRM-4, and a quartet of Jump Jets).
The VTR-9A carries its AC/20 in the right arm, and adds a Machine Gun in the left-torso, for a total of two ballistic hardpoints (in addition to 2 MLas, 2 Flamers, 1 SRM-4, and a quartet of Jump Jets).

If the -9A1 were implemented as above, I could see it being modified into a "mini Thunder Hawk"... :)

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users