Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#1381 Morang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

A guess about 24 IS mechs can be supported by the fact that there are 6 IS factions playable.

When Devs were still talking 'bout Community Warfare on the forums, they once stated that different factions will have privileges concerning different mech models. Not exclusive access, no. Maybe something like quicker research or money discounts. And with 24 battlemechs it's possible to assign 4 per faction, one of each weight class.

Clan 'mechs could be divided similarly. Canon-wise there are four sectors of Clans invasion, so Devs may give us not all individual Clans, but those sectors (Jade Falcons+Steel Vipers, Wolfs, Ghost Bears, Smoke Jaguars+Nova Cats) as playable factions. And again each Clan faction can have 4 faction-specific battlemechs from TRO 3050, one per weight class.

#1382 Phemeto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Longbow Anyone?

#1383 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

Just sighted this pic of a Battlemaster on No Guts No Galaxy:
Posted Image

Probably the best interpretation I've seen of the BM to date... even better than the original, while still retaining many of its most important qualities. I'd be chuffed to bits to see this in MWO... as unlikely as that may be!

#1384 nostra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

Did anyone else notice the mention of Kyudo and Mackie 'mechs in the Orion's introductory fiction? I wholeheartedly hope those two designs make it into the game! The Mackie because it's the first 'mech ever, and Kyudo because it's a primitive, age-of-war or hegemony-era design, which was only recently introduced into the story in real life, plus it looks great. The Mackie packs a heavy punch for its age, perfectly suitable for the current state of the game. And the Kyudo packs an effective punch for its 45 ton weight, with an LRM-20 and a Large Laser. Both of these mechs have suitable numbers of variants that should work for the game here.

#1385 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:25 AM

View Postnostra, on 31 December 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

Did anyone else notice the mention of Kyudo and Mackie 'mechs in the Orion's introductory fiction? I wholeheartedly hope those two designs make it into the game! The Mackie because it's the first 'mech ever, and Kyudo because it's a primitive, age-of-war or hegemony-era design, which was only recently introduced into the story in real life, plus it looks great. The Mackie packs a heavy punch for its age, perfectly suitable for the current state of the game. And the Kyudo packs an effective punch for its 45 ton weight, with an LRM-20 and a Large Laser. Both of these mechs have suitable numbers of variants that should work for the game here.

Well, that story is in 2456 (or 2455), so there were few modern designs in the Periphery.

I don't think this mechs will ever actually appear in MWO.

View PostZaptruder, on 31 December 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

Just sighted this pic of a Battlemaster on No Guts No Galaxy:

That's a gorgeous Battlemaster!

#1386 Deskup

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 30 December 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

The King Crab has the AC-splitting issue, which is likely to prevent it being implemented unless and until the MechLab allows AC/20s to be split across locations.

The Annihilator effectively does not exist outside of the Wolf's Dragoons; the Clans stopped building them before the beginning of their "Golden Century" (which began with Nick Kerensky's death in 2834), and the IS (outside of the Dragoons) never had the facilities to produce them (the SLDF took the blueprints before production began).

All of the other "typical" assault-class ballistic boats (e.g. Mauler, Pillager, Nightstar, Thunder Hawk, etc) don't fet a third variant until the mid-3060s at the earliest, and/or are extinct until the mid-3050s (e.g. after the Clans are defeated by ComStar at Tukayyid).

The "best bet", as it were, for a makeshift assault-class ballistics boat is the 80-ton Victor - specifically the VTR-9A and VTR-9A1.
The VTR-9A1 carries its AC/20 in the right arm, and adds a Machine Gun in each leg (which, for MWO, would likely be moved up to the respective side-torsos) - for a total of three ballistic hardpoints (in addition to 2 MLas, 1 SRM-4, and a quartet of Jump Jets).
The VTR-9A carries its AC/20 in the right arm, and adds a Machine Gun in the left-torso, for a total of two ballistic hardpoints (in addition to 2 MLas, 2 Flamers, 1 SRM-4, and a quartet of Jump Jets).

If the -9A1 were implemented as above, I could see it being modified into a "mini Thunder Hawk"... :lol:

Thats seems sad :angry: Well, on the bright side i will have 30m more for clan invasion.

#1387 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

View PostZaptruder, on 31 December 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

Probably the best interpretation I've seen of the BM to date... even better than the original, while still retaining many of its most important qualities. I'd be chuffed to bits to see this in MWO... as unlikely as that may be!

Wow, Shortpainter is once again in town. :angry:

Here are other works of his (besides the NGNG comic): http://mwomercs.com/...904#entry214904

#1388 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostMorang, on 30 December 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

A guess about 24 IS mechs can be supported by the fact that there are 6 IS factions playable.

When Devs were still talking 'bout Community Warfare on the forums, they once stated that different factions will have privileges concerning different mech models. Not exclusive access, no. Maybe something like quicker research or money discounts. And with 24 battlemechs it's possible to assign 4 per faction, one of each weight class.

Clan 'mechs could be divided similarly. Canon-wise there are four sectors of Clans invasion, so Devs may give us not all individual Clans, but those sectors (Jade Falcons+Steel Vipers, Wolfs, Ghost Bears, Smoke Jaguars+Nova Cats) as playable factions. And again each Clan faction can have 4 faction-specific battlemechs from TRO 3050, one per weight class.

During the initial Clan invasion, there were only 4 invading clans: Jade Falcons, Wolves, Bears, Smoke Jaguars. All Clan mechs are available to each clan touman.

#1389 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

After seeing shortpainter's works, I decided to do a bit of fan art of my own.

Redesigned the Warhammer and Marauder in line with a more MWO proportion and aesthetic. What do you guys think? Different enough that it would skirt legal issues, and appropriate to MWO? Apologies for the Warhammer feet/toes. I was unco.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1390 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Not bad

#1391 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Need this for a light

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mercury

Paves the way for the Omnimech, lore wise.

Also, next Assault needs to be the Cyclops!

#1392 JKL998

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

Too bad there won't be a Stone Rhino (Behemoth) or a Marauder in that case (Even though Marauder has a bazillion and one different variant available) cause Macross franchise just didn't like that :D .
At any rate i am looking forward to clanner mechs.

#1393 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostZaptruder, on 31 December 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

After seeing shortpainter's works, I decided to do a bit of fan art of my own.

Loved you Marauder! Best Marauder reseen yet.

#1394 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

The Warhammer is nice too, but I think you could delete the head (and make the cockpit attached to the torso).

#1395 Kadassa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 129 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Personally I'd like to see the Sentinel! I think it would be a good alternative to the lighter weight Medium mechs and it fits the timeline I think http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sentinel

I didn't care much for the Cicada sadly and there are already two 50 tonners

#1396 LynxFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationWA state

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

View PostKadassa, on 31 December 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

Personally I'd like to see the Sentinel! I think it would be a good alternative to the lighter weight Medium mechs and it fits the timeline I think http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sentinel

Yes Yes Yes!

Edited by LynxFury, 31 December 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#1397 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

View PostOdanan, on 31 December 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

The Warhammer is nice too, but I think you could delete the head (and make the cockpit attached to the torso).

I cleaned up some of the line up and better defined the shapes; and moved the Warhammer head back into its torso area. You're right... it looks better this way.

Posted Image

#1398 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

View PostLynxFury, on 31 December 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

Yes Yes Yes!

Or the Clint.
It has fewer variants than the Sentinel (only 3), but it jumps and would fill well the role of fast jumping medium.

Anyway, after the last Assault we will have the 16 3050 omni clan mechs, so no need to worry about IS light, medium and heavy mechs for now.
About guessing the clan mechs, what's the point?

#1399 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

View PostZaptruder, on 01 January 2013 - 02:12 AM, said:

I cleaned up some of the line up and better defined the shapes; and moved the Warhammer head back into its torso area. You're right... it looks better this way.

That Marauder is a masterpiece!
The Warhammer improved, indeed. You could merge the head even more to the torso (or just clean up the upper front), to make it look less like the Stinger. Ah, and it is 70 tons, instead of 80. :)
And the Timberwolf... you done well keeping the classic (perfect) design.

#1400 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

Lol. Ah... I'll have to correct that Warhammer error. And resize him too. I'm pretty happy with the relative scales of the Marauder and Timberwolf though.

And indeed, the original design is still the best; especially in the knee joint. So good.

69 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 69 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook