#1401 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

View PostZaptruder, on 01 January 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

Lol. Ah... I'll have to correct that Warhammer error. And resize him too.

I suggest you to shorten it a little (instead of just resizing), to give it a less a slender look.

BTW, what do you think about the hexagonal cockpit window for the Marauder? (it was the sole reason I played with this mech in MW2 - I felt inside a Tie-Fighter)

Talking about the Marauder, if you make a larger version and keep detailing it, I think someone you paint it for you...

#1402 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostOdanan, on 01 January 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

I suggest you to shorten it a little (instead of just resizing), to give it a less a slender look.

BTW, what do you think about the hexagonal cockpit window for the Marauder? (it was the sole reason I played with this mech in MW2 - I felt inside a Tie-Fighter)

Talking about the Marauder, if you make a larger version and keep detailing it, I think someone you paint it for you...

Told you the unseens can be redone but still be just as cool as the Harmony Gold own designs without copy right issues. :huh:

#1403 Statius

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Are the arm he AC/20 on the King Crab really an issue? XL Engines, Endo-Steel internals, and Ferro-Fibrous armour all split their the critical space over multiple sections. I'm sure something similar could be implemented for the AC/20.

#1404 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostThe Birdeater, on 30 December 2012 - 12:46 AM, said:

A 50 ton mech again? :huh: We already have three of them (Cent, Treb, Hunch). What is with the 55 ton mechs? Still no announcement here. Hoplite, Dervish, Kintaro?

Or the classic and, by my part, much anticipated/awaited, Griffin or Wolverine?

#1405 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Both are unseen!

#1406 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Posted Image

View PostOdanan, on 01 January 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

Well, I've detailed it now (and the Warhammer); cleaned up the linework and made the faceting and details more definite and obvious.

But I avoided the hexagonal cockpit because it would kind of ruin the lines of the cowl above the cockpit and also because I'm trying to divorce it as much as possible from the Macross Zentradi Officer's Battlepod... while trying to keep it as similar as possible to the Marauder. If that makes any sense.

Also, the Marauder hasn't appeared in a Mechwarrior game since the original Mechwarrior. (So you couldn't have been playing it in MW2...)

I've resized the Warhammer slightly... but also shortened the longer leg (which was making it incorrect in proportions and perspective). The legs still aren't as chunky as the original, but I'm ok with that. Otherwise the proportions are quite similar between the two; with some bulk shifted from the torso to the arms.

Thanks for the feedback so far; it's been helpful.

View PostCutterWolf, on 01 January 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

Told you the unseens can be redone but still be just as cool as the Harmony Gold own designs without copy right issues. :huh:

Haha... given how much I love the original designs, I'll take this as a high compliment. Thank you.

#1407 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostZaptruder, on 01 January 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

Posted Image

Well, I've detailed it now (and the Warhammer); cleaned up the linework and made the faceting and details more definite and obvious.

But I avoided the hexagonal cockpit because it would kind of ruin the lines of the cowl above the cockpit and also because I'm trying to divorce it as much as possible from the Macross Zentradi Officer's Battlepod... while trying to keep it as similar as possible to the Marauder. If that makes any sense.

Also, the Marauder hasn't appeared in a Mechwarrior game since the original Mechwarrior. (So you couldn't have been playing it in MW2...)

I've resized the Warhammer slightly... but also shortened the longer leg (which was making it incorrect in proportions and perspective). The legs still aren't as chunky as the original, but I'm ok with that. Otherwise the proportions are quite similar between the two; with some bulk shifted from the torso to the arms.

Thanks for the feedback so far; it's been helpful.

Haha... given how much I love the original designs, I'll take this as a high compliment. Thank you.

One suggestion on the Warhammer. Reduce the size of the missile launcher and maybe turn it on it's side. The reason I say this is two fold, 1. Its only a six tube launcher. and 2. In order to keep from infringing on copy rights you are going to need to break up the out line as much as possible from the original design. It will still look like a Warhammer but when put side by side with the original there will be no issues. Also, if your wanting to see these make it in to the game your going to need to contact the Dev's directly and let them know that you are willing to sign a release form to turn over your designs to them.

#1408 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostZaptruder, on 01 January 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

Mechwarrior 2 mechs here:
http://battletech.wi...i/MechWarrior_2

Man, you have no idea of how much I played the MW2 demo before getting the full game. It was only 1 mission, and had few mechs (Timberwolf and Marauder IIC included).

Posted Image

Cockpit vision:

Posted Image

Ok, obviously, these are screenshots of the Titanium version, but still, it is the same game only with graphics enhancements.

But I have no complains about your Marauder: it's even better than the original.

#1409 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

@Odanon: Wow... hahaha. I guess I completely forgot about the Marauder (IIC). I was actually looking up MW2 Mercenaries mech list. Of course I'd miss looking for a famous IS mech in a clan based game! ;)

I was under the impression I loved and played MW2 heaps as well. Obviously I'll have to revise that opinion... or at least make up for it by playing the game again over the new years break.

#1410 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostZaptruder, on 01 January 2013 - 02:12 AM, said:

I cleaned up some of the line up and better defined the shapes; and moved the Warhammer head back into its torso area. You're right... it looks better this way.

Posted Image

Not bad art, but they certainly wouldn't pass a court determining whether they did or did not look like the Unseens. Far too close in appearance.

#1411 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

View Postverybad, on 01 January 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

Not bad art, but they certainly wouldn't pass a court determining whether they did or did not look like the Unseens. Far too close in appearance.

They'd certainly pass muster in court. The problem is that they'd be taken to court in the first place. Which is unfortunate - means that anything that has a good resemblance to the originals while still been original in its own right... will be flagged by Harmony Gold lawyers.

Whose main purpose in doing so is simply to get their names back in the public and some interest back in the flagging products. Lawyer trolling at its worst basically.

Given that this isn't any sort of official project, I'm satisfied with setting the bar at: Is sufficiently different to not infringe on the design of the originals (as opposed to, different enough that the case will be thrown out without been heard... which has the unfortunate side effect of making the mechs ugly... or unrecognizable).

Edited by Zaptruder, 01 January 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#1412 Icebergdx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

We need the Wolfhound. It would be in this time frame (Originally Daniel Allard had one, then Phelan Kell had one, and was blown out of it when he was captured by he clans) then Phelan as a Wolf had a rebuilt clan version when he became a warrior for Wolf Clan.)

#1413 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostIcebergdx, on 01 January 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

We need the Wolfhound. It would be in this time frame (Originally Daniel Allard had one, then Phelan Kell had one, and was blown out of it when he was captured by he clans) then Phelan as a Wolf had a rebuilt clan version when he became a warrior for Wolf Clan.)

We won't have it. Because of: lack of variants.
There are lots of posts detailing about the Wolfhound somewhere in this thread.

#1414 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostZaptruder, on 01 January 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

They'd certainly pass muster in court. The problem is that they'd be taken to court in the first place. Which is unfortunate - means that anything that has a good resemblance to the originals while still been original in its own right... will be flagged by Harmony Gold lawyers.

Whose main purpose in doing so is simply to get their names back in the public and some interest back in the flagging products. Lawyer trolling at its worst basically.

Given that this isn't any sort of official project, I'm satisfied with setting the bar at: Is sufficiently different to not infringe on the design of the originals (as opposed to, different enough that the case will be thrown out without been heard... which has the unfortunate side effect of making the mechs ugly... or unrecognizable).

This. ˆ
FASA was almost bankrupt by "winning" in court.

There is a reason PGI is not using any of the Unseen, even if with a total redesign. Mechs will be "ugly or unrecognizable". And if you want to play with a totally different Rifleman, Jeez, play with the JagerMech (which resembles very much with the Rifleman, in the first place).

Can we stop talking about the Unseen? And doing mech requests? Everything indicates the next mech (#20) will be an Assault and the other 16 will be clanners. After the #20 mech, this thread kind of loose its purpose (for a year) and should probably be locked.

#1415 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Odanan, do you think we will see BattleMech 20 on Jan. 16?

If so, I'm leaning towards these possibilities for the next assault...

30% Zeus
20% Banshee
10% Hatamoto
10% Cyclops
10% Victor
5% Thug
5% Mauler
5% Charger
5% King Crab

Edited by Maverick01, 01 January 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#1416 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 01 January 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

Odanan, do you think we will see BattleMech 20 on Jan. 16?

Not in Jan. 16... look at the OP. :)

37% Zeus
33% Banshee
20% Hatamoto
5% Cyclops
0% Victor -> problem with 3rd reticle*
0% Thug -> not enough variants, thankfully
0% Mauler -> not enough variants, sadly
5% Charger
0% King Crab -> problem fitting the AC/20s in the arms*

*they won't make a Mechlab overhaul just for one mech.

#1417 Lagfest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIn a Mech

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

I love speculation threads, at least untill it brings out the naysayers...

I could see the Zeus, although I'd rather see something that hasn't been in a MW game yet.
Mauler Sounds better, I was against it at first because of how AC/2 were IWIN buttons, but now It would be cool.
Banshee I like,
Thug I Like,
Hatamoto I adore.

The rest, I'm on the fence about. But in the end any mech is good for me!
Its gonna have to be a winrar tho, because It might be the last one before the clans arrive
/tin foil hat

#1418 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

View PostIcebergdx, on 01 January 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Yes the Wolfhound is a common and iconic mech, but the Firestarter could do the job much better. Much more variants, better hardpoint systems (FS9-H: x6 energy, x2 ballistic), some variants with BAP or ECM and all variants have jumpjets. It could be one of the best light mechs ever. Even better as the Jenner. IMO there is no reason to add crappy light mechs like Urbie or Panther, but each his own.

#1419 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

Yes it is a sad affair when mech production is so low. Fortunately for all of us someone had the intelligence to hire Havoc the best mech builder there is. In time if they do not get in his way you will see an increase in mech rollouts. As we used to say have on fear Havoc is here. He has a lot of catching up to do. Also, some existing mechs will have more detail than before.

#1420 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

View PostOdanan, on 01 January 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

We won't have it. Because of: lack of variants.
There are lots of posts detailing about the Wolfhound somewhere in this thread.

Don't forget that PGI holds creative licensing so they could create custom variants to fill the gaps. We've seen them do that in the Hero mechs. Only another small step to do that for a main line up. The main variant is energy specific, but it would only take a bit to mix and match a missile or ballistic in there somewhere (based off Valkyrie/Panther loadouts).

32 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users