20517 replies to this topic

#4321 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 July 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

They need a TRO 3039 "Phoenix Edition" with Reseens in it. That was my biggest knock on the 3039. No WHM. no MAD< no THUD, etc.

Reactions to the Project Phoenix TRO were rather mixed and I think they wanted to avoid that. They need to have complete redesigns so that we can move past all this reseen/unseen crap and just get back to them being used. Almost need to do another run of the TRO's, one for each era again with all the updated art and fluff.

#4322 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 07 July 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Reactions to the Project Phoenix TRO were rather mixed and I think they wanted to avoid that. They need to have complete redesigns so that we can move past all this reseen/unseen crap and just get back to them being used. Almost need to do another run of the TRO's, one for each era again with all the updated art and fluff.

and hire some better artists. White is good, but sticks TOO close to the originals, impossible joint sand all. And PLOG is good, but his designs just don't feel "Batltetechy"

#4323 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 July 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

and hire some better artists. White is good, but sticks TOO close to the originals, impossible joint sand all. And PLOG is good, but his designs just don't feel "Batltetechy"

That's why you just keep giving Alex the work -_-

#4324 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 July 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

They need a TRO 3039 "Phoenix Edition" with Reseens in it. That was my biggest knock on the 3039. No WHM. no MAD< no THUD, etc.

Well, there is the XTRO series...? -_-

Posted Image
(Pictured: MAD-4X Marauder)

LGB-0C Longbow (Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 3):
Posted Image

TDR-1C Thunderbolt (Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 3):
Posted Image

Ostscout IIC (Experimental Technical Readout: Boondoggles):
Posted Image

#4325 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 07 July 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

Ostscout IIC (Experimental Technical Readout: Boondoggles):

Wow! It never occurred to me I would see a cool Ost-thing.

#4326 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, I thought they were all prohibitively ugly! -_-

I wanna see the firefly after the Project Phoenix mechs come out. But, yeah, ShimmeringSword puts out some really awesome battletech work.

#4327 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'd be happy to have this guy included though....
Posted Image
(yes I know 7Ms don't come with Flamers...... it's a mod cause they look cooler than small lasers)

#4328 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

I would love if PGI made its own Technical Readout (hard copy) with all the announced Inner Sphere BattleMechs at launch. This readout would include all the artwork (sketches, concept, orthos, etc.) from Alex. It would also include the lore and all the technical information (hardpoints, engine rating, armor values, etc) about the BattleMechs in MWO. They could also give a back story for each Hero 'Mech. PGI would make a fortune!

#4329 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 07 July 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

I would love if PGI made its own Technical Readout (hard copy) with all the announced Inner Sphere BattleMechs at launch.

Unfortunately, PGI doesn't currently have the rights to do anything beyond the virtual realm at the moment, if I remember correctly. They can't produce merchandise/etc at this time, though they said maybe down the road they might be able to if they can work things out, there is enough demand, and it's financially viable.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 07 July 2013 - 09:51 PM.

#4330 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 July 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

I'd be happy to have this guy included though....

Very, very good, Bishop!

#4331 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

gimme thisPosted Image or thisPosted Image or maybe thisPosted Image tried to post Bishop Steiner's Banshee, but it wouldn't let me!

#4332 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostSgtMagor, on 08 July 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

gimme thisPosted Image or thisPosted Image or maybe thisPosted Image tried to post Bishop Steiner's Banshee, but it wouldn't let me!

Photobucket is being a whiny little girl saying I used all my bandwidth for the month.... doesn't refresh til the 14th for me. NEVER had that happen before!

#4333 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostSgtMagor, on 08 July 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

but I did finally add it to my DA account.....
Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 08 July 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#4334 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

Needs more...

Posted Image

#4335 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

Well, since we're on a Cyclops kick... ;)

Variant 1: CP-10-Z (available since 2710) - the "common/default" variant
equipped with x2 MLas (RA, LA), x1 AC/20 (RT), x1 LRM-10 (LT), x1 SRM-4 (CT), and a Command Console (HD)
Potential Hardpoint Layout:
LA: x1 Energy
LT: x2 Missile
CT: x1 Missile
HD: N/A
RT: x2 Ballistic
RA: x1 Energy

"Dual Cockpit refits: The Cyclops is one of the Capellan Confederation's preferred 'Mechs to install Dual Cockpits. Standard refits usually install the Dual Cockpit on a CP-10-Z or CP-11-A, removing one ton of autocannon or gauss rifle ammunition, respectively."

Variant 2: CP-10-Z-DC (available since 2750)
equipped with x2 MLas (RA, LA), x1 AC/20 (RT), x1 LRM-10 (LT), x1 SRM-4 (CT), and a Command Console (HD)
LT: x2 Missile
CT: x2 Missile
RT: x1 Ballistic

Variant 3: CP-11-A-DC (available since 3045)
Equipped with x2 MLas (RA, LA), x1 Gauss Rifle (RT), x1 LRM-10 (LT), x1 SRM-4 (CT), and a Command Console (HD)
LA: x2 Energy
LT: x1 Missile
CT: x1 Missile
RT: x1 Ballistic
RA: x2 Energy

Variant 4: CP-11-C (available since 3049)
Equipped with x2 MLas (RA, LA), x1 Gauss Rifle (RT), x1 SRM-4 (CT), and a C3 Master Unit (LT)
LT: N/A
CT: x2 Missile
RT: x3 Ballistic

If "it makes more sense to put 'Mechs in for what roles they can play", then the Cyclops - with two variants carrying Command Consoles and one carrying a (yet-to-be-implemented) C3 Master Unit - would be (in the absence of the Marauder and BattleMaster) the quintessential command 'Mech.

'Twould be even more interesting if the Command Console were to receive its abilities under the advanced combat rules in Tactical Operations (such as a form of satellite uplink (which could allow for some form of advanced BattleGrid as well as the generation of an ECCM field, among other abilities; see the "Satellite Type Table" on pg. 195 of TacOps), access to remote sensors, and the ability to generate ghost targets).
(See this thread for a fuller discussion of what that entails.)

Additionally:
  • The Cyclops is common and popular in-universe; "the Cyclops is a formidable weapon to be found in the battle lances of almost every `Mech regiment in the Successor States" and "the Cyclops has been a part of every major engagement in the Succession Wars, having proved itself in both close combat and as an efficient command control vehicle" (direct quotations from pg. 118 of the original TRO 3025).
  • There are currently three 50-ton 'Mechs in-game, so having the Cyclops at the same tonnage as the Highlander isn't too much of an issue (and would be less so if the Banshee is eventually announced, which would have all weight brackets in the Assault class represented).
  • As noted previously, the Cyclops with the variants listed (CP-10-Z, CP-10-Z-DC, CP-11-A-DC, and CP-11-C) stands to be the quintessential command 'Mech, especially if the Command Console and C3 Master Unit are implemented with capabilities from the advanced rules in Tactical Operations (as G-ECM was).
  • The Cyclops has additional variants "in reserve", including the CP-10-Q (replaces the ballistic weapon with another LRM-10 and a Medium Laser, both in the RT) and the non-command variation of the CP-11-A.
Finally, there are a fair number of options for potential Hero 'Mechs:
  • "General Ariana Winston, Commanding Officer of the Eridani Light Horse between 3045 to 3060, piloted a modified Cyclops which featured a dual-cockpit for command and coordination purposes."
  • "Commander of House Steiner's 32nd Lyran Guard Regiment [in 3025], Brigadier Carson Enright has commanded brigade- and division-sized 'Mech units a number of times from his Cyclops known as the 'Archon's Eye'. Enright is famous for his brash and unpredictable tactics on the battlefield. Out of his 'Mech, he is a soldier of the old school, scowling at the habits of those MechWarriors who are less disciplined than him and the troops he commands."
  • "Noted tactician of the mercenary battalion Waco's Rangers, MechWarrior Sergeant Lenny Markbright is one of the best known non-commissioned personnel to pilot a Cyclops. He is assigned as a tactical advisor to Colonel Wayne Waco's headquarters lance [as of 3025]. In his Cyclops, the 'Polyphemus', Markbright accompanies the battalion commander during an operation, keeping his keen mind turned to the output of his modified B-2000 battle computer. Known for his analytical yet flexible thinking, Lenny Markbright is one of the major reasons for Waco's Rangers' many successes."
If it's good enough for the CO of the Light Horse & former CO of the 32nd Lyran Guards & the TO of the Waco Rangers, it's good enough for us, yes?

Edited by Strum Wealh, 08 July 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#4336 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

I would kill for the Cyclops and with PGI pushing informational warfare and commanding roles this mech would be perfect to fill them. My only issue would be that they (players) would strip out any of the info. warfare and add bigger/more guns basically negating its abilities.

#4337 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

Also remind that in one of the latest interviews/podcasts they said that the 1:1 timeline has gone fubar, so nothing prevents them to release non-3050 or newer, more modern mech chassis (think about.. hmm I'm leaning towards a Bushwacker).

The Cyclops could be an option, but I'd like to see the Banshee first, filling the 95 tons bracket in the assaults.

#4338 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:35 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 09 July 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

Also remind that in one of the latest interviews/podcasts they said that the 1:1 timeline has gone fubar, so nothing prevents them to release non-3050 or newer, more modern mech chassis (think about.. hmm I'm leaning towards a Bushwacker).

The Cyclops could be an option, but I'd like to see the Banshee first, filling the 95 tons bracket in the assaults.

Actually, what Russ Bullock said in NGNG # 79 (starting at the 24:50 mark) is, "The timeline was interesting at first. It was kinda cool with the tweets and everything, but it's not a very... it's not really a driving factor anymore, it's a minor tidbit. It really... the only importance left there is that people say 'Yes, stick to it!' because they want their Clans, right. Otherwise, it's not a very important aspect; it's more important to have a quality game across the board."

The statement regarding the timeline sounds as though it relates more to the marketing program (the aforementioned tweets) and CW-related issues like the ability to participate in certain events (e.g. being able to participate in 'the Battle of Such-and-Such' on date XYZ, or fight against the first three waves of the Clan Invasion (which would have begun in March, May, and June of this year; wave four begins shortly or is ongoing)) than to the order and timing with which certain 'Mech chassis/variants and equipment are implemented.

Edited by Strum Wealh, 09 July 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#4339 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

^^ if that's the case, then will probably be seeing some mechs we were not expecting!, just wonder how they are going to work out the Clan Invasion if the time line is no longer a priority in the game!

#4340 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

View PostSgtMagor, on 09 July 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

^^ if that's the case, then will probably be seeing some mechs we were not expecting!, just wonder how they are going to work out the Clan Invasion if the time line is no longer a priority in the game!

I somehow don't think that is the case. I still believe they'll stick to the current timeline era so if something isn't available right now or within a year or two (battle of tukkayid) we probably won't see it. However since we do know down the line the clan invasion is coming we could see certain mechs that we've already cut down because their variants were 2 years out.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook