20517 replies to this topic

#4381 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Possible choices for light 'Mech, mostly based on date of production according to Sarna.net:
Hornet
Hermes
Firestarter
Urbanmech
Javelin (gets my vote)
Mercury
Mongoose (another one I want to see)
Panther (a good contender)
Spectre
Thorn
Valkerie
Wolfhound

Edited by Colddawg, 16 July 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#4382 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostColddawg, on 16 July 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

Possible choices for light 'Mech, mostly based on date of production according to Sarna.net:
Hornet
Hermes
Firestarter
Urbanmech
Javelin (gets my vote)
Mercury
Spectre
Thorn
Valkerie
Wolfhound

Hmmm... this list needs variant analysis...

#4383 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostOdanan, on 16 July 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

My favorite on that list, the Wolfhound, suffers from lack of variants.... BUT, PGI has stated they hold creative licensing to fill int he gaps should they choose. I just don't know how many different variants you can make from energy, which the Wolfhound has exclusively.... Unless you want to blend it with the Thorn, but that makes me both hopeful and ill......

#4384 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

Valkyrie can be removed from the list as it's one of the Macross Unseens.

#4385 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

View Postcdlord, on 16 July 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

My favorite on that list, the Wolfhound, suffers from lack of variants.... BUT, PGI has stated they hold creative licensing to fill int he gaps should they choose. I just don't know how many different variants you can make from energy, which the Wolfhound has exclusively.... Unless you want to blend it with the Thorn, but that makes me both hopeful and ill......

To be honest... hero mechs are already too much for me.

Why can't people just forget the Wolfhound, Mongoose, Black Knight and Flashman? I know they are great in TT (any medium laser boat is), but their uniform variants would suck in MWO.

#4386 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostColddawg, on 16 July 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

Hornet
Hermes
Firestarter
Urbanmech
Javelin (gets my vote)
Mercury
Spectre
Thorn
Valkerie
Wolfhound

View PostOdanan, on 16 July 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

Already got that got you... :)

View PostStrum Wealh, on 17 May 2013 - 03:52 AM, said:

LIGHT 'MECHS

Well, the Thorn could be a contender for the 20-ton bracket - it's got the THE-S variant (supplied to the DCMS by ComStar for Operation Rosebud in the mid-3030s), the THE-T variant (designed by the DCMS during the War of 3039), and the "basic/standard" THE-N variant (for which all of the required LosTech - Endo Steel and CASE - has already been recovered).
Posted Image

For the 25-ton bracket, there is the Mongoose, which could have the "basic/standard" MON-66 variant (uses Endo Steel, FF Armor, and Beagle), the MON-69 variant (-1 Beagle, +1 laser, +1 SRM-2), the MON-70 variant (-1 Beagle, -1 laser, +2 flamers), the MON-67 variant (no LosTech, + armor), and/or the MON-68 variant (no LosTech, mounts a single LL in the RA).
It's also got the digitigrade/"double-knee" leg design.
Posted Image

The 30-ton bracket has a number of options:
  • the Hermes (with its HER-1S, HER-1A, HER-1B, and HER-3S/3S1/3S2 variants (with the 3S/3S1/3S2 requiring MASC to be implemented)),
  • the Hussar (with its HSR-200D variant (implemented with one energy hardpoint in the CT, plis an ECM hardpoint), HSR-300D variant (implemented with two energy hardpoints in the CT, and no ECM hardpoint), and HSR-350D variant (one energy hardpoint in the CT, and one energy hardpoint in each arm)), and
  • the Javelin (with its JVN-10N variant, JVN-10F ("Fire Javelin") variant, and JVN-10P variant).
The UrbanMech (with its UM-R60, UM-R60L, UM-R50, and UM-R63 variants) could potentially be included if/when PGI implements engines with ratings below 100 (down to 60, to be specific).

For the 35-ton bracket, it would have to be the Firestarter - everything else is already in-game (Jenner, Raven), Unseen, out-of-timeline, or doesn't have enough variants.

Thoughts?

In addition, the 35-ton Panther (with its PNT-8Z and PNT-9R variants) would be due to have its third variant (the PNT-10K) in 3051/2014.

The 20-ton Hornet (with its HNT-151 and HNT-152 variants) would also be due to have its third variant (the HNT-171) in 3051/2014.

All but one of the variants of the 20-ton Mercury are equipped with the MASC system; timelinewise, the potential variants would be the MCY-99 (the original, LosTech-heavy variant), the MCY-98 (the downgrade, non-LosTech variant), and the MCY-97 (the rediscovered-LosTech variant created by the Com Guards; fewer weapons in exchange for a BAP).

The Spector is out-of-production until 3053 (with the only variant that existed before that point being SPR-4F, which would require both NullSig anf the CLPS); the SPR-5F comes into being in 3053, the SPR-5s comes into being in 3067 (and requires the IS version of the Targeting Computer), and the SPR-ST comes into being in 3068 (and requires the IS version of the ER Medium Laser).

Also, Ask The Devs 42 states "Urbanmech – no eta"; assuming this is not an attempt at misdirection (for example, for marketing purposes), the 30-ton UrbanMech is not even in the "early design" phase ("An idea has been presented and the team is brainstorming ways to make it").

#4387 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

For comparison purposes, here is the list of Inner Sphere 'Mechs that are available in MW2 Mercenaries...

Light Mechs
Jenner (MWO)
Raven (MWO)
Commando (MWO)
Hornet
Mongoose
Battle Hawk
Javelin
UrbanMech
Panther

Medium Mechs
Cicada (MWO)
Hunchback (MWO)
Trebuchet (MWO)
Centurion (MWO)
Assassin
Clint
Sentinel
Whitworth
Vindicator
Wolf Trap
Crab
Grim Reaper

Heavy Mechs
Orion (MWO)
Dragon (MWO)
Catapult (MWO)
Quickdraw (MWO)
Jagermech (MWO)
Bombardier
Flashman
Rakshasa

Assault Mechs
Atlas (MWO)
Victor (MWO)
Stalker (MWO)
Awesome (MWO)
Highlander (MWO)
Hatamoto-Chi
Salamander
Thug
Zeus
Cyclops
Mauler
Annihilator

Source: http://www.localditc...ercs/mechs.html

Posted Image

Edited by Maverick01, 16 July 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#4388 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 16 July 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Already got that got you... :)

Indeed!
I must correct myself: the Mongoose might be a good idea.

#4389 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 16 July 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

For comparison purposes, here is the list of Inner Sphere 'Mechs that are available in MW2 Mercenaries...

Light Mechs
Jenner (MWO)
Raven (MWO)
Commando (MWO)
Hornet
Mongoose
Battle Hawk
Javelin
UrbanMech
Panther

Medium Mechs
Cicada (MWO)
Hunchback (MWO)
Trebuchet (MWO)
Centurion (MWO)
Assassin
Clint
Sentinel
Whitworth
Vindicator
Wolf Trap
Crab
Grim Reaper

Heavy Mechs
Orion (MWO)
Dragon (MWO)
Catapult (MWO)
Quickdraw (MWO)
Jagermech (MWO)
Bombardier
Flashman
Rakshasa

Assault Mechs
Atlas (MWO)
Victor (MWO)
Stalker (MWO)
Awesome (MWO)
Highlander (MWO)
Hatamoto-Chi
Salamander
Thug
Zeus
Cyclops
Mauler
Annihilator

Posted Image

However, MWO also has the requirement that its 'Mechs have at least three variants "currently" available (as one has to unlock the Basic-level efficiencies for three variants of the same chassis in order to access the Elite-level efficiencies) - thus, why 'Mechs like the Battle Hawk, Wolf Trap, Bombardier, Flashman, and Mauler are seemingly unlikely to be includedin the forseeable future.

I also posted a list for consideration, back in January.

View PostStrum Wealh, on 20 January 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

Perhaps we might generally keep the ECM discussion generally relegated to Odanan's ECM thread in the suggestions forum, while this thread is in the business of predicting upcoming 'Mechs? Posted Image

-----

If the "first 32" statement from NGNG is indeed accurate and doesn't include the Clans' Invasion-era OmniMechs, then there might be three more sets of "Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault" after BattleMech 20.

So, some possibilities for 'Mechs that could be in the next sets, by class...
Light 'Mechs:
  • Firestarter (FS9-H, FS9-K, FS9-M2, FS9-S1)
  • Hermes (HER-1S, HER-1A, HER-3S/S1/S2)
  • Hussar (HSR-200-D, HSR-300-D, HSR-350-D)
  • Javelin (JVN-10N, JVN-10F, JVN-10P)
  • Mongoose (MON-66, MON-70, MON-67, MON-68)
  • Thorn (THE-N, THE-S, THE-T)
  • UrbanMech (UM-R60, UM-R60L, UM-R63 (Pulse Laser variant)/UM-R63 (MGun variant))
Medium 'Mechs: Heavy 'Mechs: Assault 'Mechs:
  • Banshee (BNC-3E, BNC-3M, BNC-3Q, BNC-3S, BNC-MC)
  • Charger (CGR-1A1, CGR-1L, CGR-1A5, CGR-1A9, CGR-3K)
  • Cyclops (CP-10-Z, CP-10-Z-DC, CP-10-Q, CP-11-A, CP-11-A-DC, CP-11-C)
  • Hatamoto-Chi (HTM-26T, HTM-27T, HTM-27U/C/CM, HTM-27V, HTM-27W, HTM-27Y)
  • Victor (VTR-9B, VTR-9A, VTR-9A1, VTR-9S, VTR-9D/K)
  • Zeus (ZEU-6S, ZEU-5S, ZEU-5T, ZEU-6T, ZEU-6S-DC, ZEU-9S, ZEU-9S-DC)
The issue with the Victor's arms (which would be shared by the HGN-733C variant of the Highlander) could be resolved by slaving both arms and the arm-reticule to the most restrictive firing arc.

The above lists do not include the Unseen, 'Mechs exclusive to non-state organizations (ComStar, WoB, Wolf's Dragoons), Clan-built 'Mechs, or 'Mechs that do not have at least three variants in production (or producible) as of 3050.

Your thoughts?

Since then, both the Quickdraw and the Victor have been announced and implemented, along with the announcement of those Unseen derived from Crusher Joe (the Locust) and Fang of the Sun Dougram (the Shadow Hawk, Thunderbolt, and BattleMaster).

I'm also now suspecting that PGI is avoiding implementing SLDF Royals variants, so I suspect that the CHP-1Nb would not be included if the Champion were to be announced/implemented.

#4390 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Champion is too similar to the Dragon in loadout/speed/role/tonnage (unfortunately).

#4391 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostOdanan, on 16 July 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

Champion is too similar to the Dragon in loadout/speed/role/tonnage (unfortunately).

However, the layout is very different (two extra lasers, missiles in the LT rather than the CT, no arm weapons at all (ACs in the RT, lasers and missiles in the LT, and lasers in the CT)), with the hardpoint potentials also being very different (particularly with regard to missiles). Give one an extra ballistic hardpoint, give one an extra energy hardpoint, and give one an extra missile hardpoint; the combination of that, the distribution of hardpoints across the body (with both arms being empty and effectively vestigial), and the geometry of the 'Mech would keep the Champion sufficiently distinct from the Dragon.

#4392 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 16 July 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

However, the layout is very different (two extra lasers, missiles in the LT rather than the CT, no arm weapons at all (ACs in the RT, lasers and missiles in the LT, and lasers in the CT)), with the hardpoint potentials also being very different (particularly with regard to missiles). Give one an extra ballistic hardpoint, give one an extra energy hardpoint, and give one an extra missile hardpoint; the combination of that, the distribution of hardpoints across the body (with both arms being empty and effectively vestigial), and the geometry of the 'Mech would keep the Champion sufficiently distinct from the Dragon.

One more reason for people not buying the Dragon?

#4393 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 16 July 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

I'd like to see the champion... And to say it's too similar? Well, we got the Victor after the Highlander right? Problem with splitting hairs is you can't tell the difference in the end.

AND, I will continue to lobby for my Wolfhound as it's iconic and I'd love to see what Alex can do for it.
WLF-1 (2x energy RA, 2x energy CT, 1x energy LT, 1x AMS RT)
WLF-2H (1x energy RA, 2x energy CT, 1x AMS RT)
WLF-3M (gauss, may not be feasible, maybe AC2/5 instead) (1x ballistic RA, 2x energy LT, 1x AMS RT)
WLF-4WA (ECM) (otherwise identical to WLF-1)
WLF-5 (MASC) (otherwise identical to WLF-2H)

Not all of these are current to the timeline, but with the dev comment that the timeline doesn't mean so much anymore, it's hard to tell. Add to it their creative licensing for filling in gaps, well, I see no reason why it cannot be a contender...

#4394 Booran

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

Wolfhound would be nice, yes.

#4395 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostOdanan, on 17 July 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

One more reason for people not buying the Dragon?

View Postcdlord, on 17 July 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

I'd like to see the champion... And to say it's too similar? Well, we got the Victor after the Highlander right? Problem with splitting hairs is you can't tell the difference in the end.
The Champion, as described, would be no more of a "reason for people not buying the Dragon" than any other 'Mech of the same or greater mass - there would be things that it could do that the Dragon can't, and things that the Dragon can do that it can't.

View Postcdlord, on 17 July 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

AND, I will continue to lobby for my Wolfhound as it's iconic and I'd love to see what Alex can do for it.
WLF-1 (2x energy RA, 2x energy CT, 1x energy LT, 1x AMS RT)
WLF-2H (1x energy RA, 2x energy CT, 1x AMS RT)
WLF-3M (gauss, may not be feasible, maybe AC2/5 instead) (1x ballistic RA, 2x energy LT, 1x AMS RT)
WLF-4WA (ECM) (otherwise identical to WLF-1)
WLF-5 (MASC) (otherwise identical to WLF-2H)

Not all of these are current to the timeline, but with the dev comment that the timeline doesn't mean so much anymore, it's hard to tell. Add to it their creative licensing for filling in gaps, well, I see no reason why it cannot be a contender...

That was actually said (by Russ Bullock in NGNG # 79, starting at the 24:50 mark) with regard to the timeline was:
"The timeline was interesting at first. It was kinda cool with the tweets and everything, but it's not a very... it's not really a driving factor anymore, it's a minor tidbit. It really... the only importance left there is that people say 'Yes, stick to it!' because they want their Clans, right. Otherwise, it's not a very important aspect; it's more important to have a quality game across the board."
Taken in context, the above statement was made in reference to when certain in-universe events (e.g. the arrival of the Clans) might happen - that we would/should happen to be in the middle of the fourth wave (of five waves) of the Clan Invasion is not terribly important by comparison to getting MWO as a product to a point in its development where it could be considered launch-ready by mid-September, and changes to when "important timeline event X" happens must, by necessity, be made in deference to this fact.

Given the continued absence of post-Clan 'Mech chassis & variants, weapons, and other equipment, we can still reasonably assume that the Devs may be planning to return to the timeline as a concept once the "big push to launch" is done (so that the various "important timeline event X" situations can be used for in-game events), and that available 'Mechs and equipment are likely still to be governed by timeline availability as a result.

That being said, the 35-ton Wolfhound does have three variants available since 3028: the WLF-1, the WLF-1A, and the WLF-1B.
(For reference, the WLF-2 isn't available until 3052, and the WLF-3S isn't available until 3064, and many of the other variants require technologies that aren't available yet (e.g. Light Gauss Rifles, IS versions of the ER Medium Lasers and ER Small Lasers, and so on).)

The issue with the Wolfhound, such as it is, is that the WLF-1, WLF-1A, and WLF-1B have very similar minimum hardpoint requirements (especially with the lack of rear-firing weapons; moving one of the two CT Medium Lasers of the WLF-1 to a forward-facing position is what makes the WLF-1B what it is).
Though, the variants could still be made more unique through hardpoint inflation.
WLF-1:
  • RA: 3 energy
  • RT: 1 energy
  • CT: 2 energy
  • LT: 1 energy
WLF-1A:
  • RA: 1 energy
  • RT: 2 energy
  • CT: 1 energy
  • LT: 2 energy, 1 AMS
WLF-1B:
  • RA: 2 energy
  • RT: 1 energy
  • CT: 2 energy
  • LT: 1 energy, 1 AMS
Each of the WLF-1A and WLF-1B could carry its AMS hardpoint in the LT, while the WLF-1 would forego AMS capability in exchange for the additional weapon hardpoint.

Thoughts?

#4396 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

i'm really surprised that this mech hasn't been seen yet! Posted Image

#4397 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 17 July 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

Thoughts?

I knew those were very similar, easily combined with additional/mix and match hardpoints, which is why I expanded my search. I still think the comment about the timeline applies, I mean, what is a mech release if not an event? In the strictest sense..... There's still the "creative license" argument which cannot be discounted. If it'll make PGI more money, then they'll devote resources to it.

#4398 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

Posted ImageMaverick01, on 16 July 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

Light Mechs
Jenner (MWO)
Raven (MWO)
Commando (MWO)
Hornet
Mongoose
Battle Hawk
Javelin
UrbanMech
Panther

Medium Mechs
Cicada (MWO)
Hunchback (MWO)
Trebuchet (MWO)
Centurion (MWO)
Assassin
Clint
Sentinel
Whitworth
Vindicator
Wolf Trap
Crab
Grim Reaper

Heavy Mechs
Orion (MWO)
Dragon (MWO)
Catapult (MWO)
Quickdraw (MWO)
Jagermech (MWO)
Bombardier
Flashman
Rakshasa

Assault Mechs
Atlas (MWO)
Victor (MWO)
Stalker (MWO)
Awesome (MWO)
Highlander (MWO)
Hatamoto-Chi
Salamander
Thug
Zeus
Cyclops
Mauler
Annihilator

Posted Image

Posted ImageMaverick01, on 16 July 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

Light Mechs
Jenner (MWO)
Raven (MWO)
Commando (MWO)
Hornet
Mongoose
Battle Hawk
Javelin
UrbanMech
Panther

Medium Mechs
Cicada (MWO)
Hunchback (MWO)
Trebuchet (MWO)
Centurion (MWO)
Assassin
Clint
Sentinel
Whitworth
Vindicator
Wolf Trap
Crab
Grim Reaper

Heavy Mechs
Orion (MWO)
Dragon (MWO)
Catapult (MWO)
Quickdraw (MWO)
Jagermech (MWO)
Bombardier
Flashman
Rakshasa

Assault Mechs
Atlas (MWO)
Victor (MWO)
Stalker (MWO)
Awesome (MWO)
Highlander (MWO)
Hatamoto-Chi
Salamander
Thug
Zeus
Cyclops
Mauler
Annihilator

Posted Image

Never understood why the Rakshasa was included in MW2 Mercenaries. It's from 3055, specifically as an IS design of the Timber Wolf. Would be interesting to see it put in game in 4-5 years.

My predictions:
Light-Javelin/Wolfhound
Medium-Vindicator/Sentinel
Heavy-Bombardier/Black Knight
Assault-Banshee/Cyclops

It's getting to be about that time to start speculating on the first clan 'Mechs. For some reason I don't think the Timber Wolf will make the 1st round of clan 'Mechs, and I love the Timber Wolf.

Edited by Colddawg, 17 July 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#4399 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostColddawg, on 17 July 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

It's getting to be about that time to start speculating on the first clan 'Mechs. For some reason I don't think the Timber Wolf will make the 1st round of clan 'Mechs, and I love the Timber Wolf.

If the Timber Wolf/Madcat is not in the first run, you will see hatred the likes of nothing you've seen before flood these forums. Not from me.... But I am anticipating the reaction if such an iconic mech is not intro'd as soon as possible.....

#4400 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

I think Clan talk is a bit premature as of yet. If it is significantly after launch, then we still have plenty of IS mechs from now to then.

58 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 58 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook