Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#4541 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Face it. It's a made up.

Unless you happen on a timeline appropriate Orion with a ballistic arm... which is considring that arm was reserved for SRMs in the art from that era... more than doubtful. ;)

Edited by Adridos, 26 July 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#4542 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostAdridos, on 26 July 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Face it. It's a made up.

Unless you happen on a timeline appropriate Orion with a ballistic arm... which is considring that arm was reserved for SRMs in the art from that era... more than doubtful. ;)

Can you elaborate? I'm afraid I didn't understand a fracking thing you said.

#4543 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostAdridos, on 26 July 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Face it. It's a made up.

That it could be a canon 'Mech, originally without an official record sheet or an explicitly laid-out loadout, equipped with a PGI-generated loadout (as was the case for Pretty Baby, Death's Knell, and Heavy Metal) or wholly made up by PGI (e.g. Ilya Muromets) are possibilities that can't be discounted.

Also, I'm fairly certain that none of the Orion variants (certainly not anything timeline-appropriate for MWO) nor the Orion IIC ever had ballistic weapons in the arms - though, the Perseus (the OmniTech variation of the Orion) does have one configuration (Alt. Config. W, available in 3068) that carries a Gauss Rifle in one arm and an LB 20-X in the other arm (with criticals split into the torso)).

Though, perhaps Adridos meant "missile" rather than "ballistic"? :P
In which case, the V series (ON1-V and ON1-V-DC) carries an SRM-4 launcher in each arm and the M series (the ON1-M and the later ON1-M-DC) carries its LRM-20 launcher in its Left Arm (with the LB 10-X AC still in the Right Torso).

Also, it should be noted that the Orion artwork from the video still shows what appears to be the same light green laser lenses in both arms as the original debut artwork, along with the arms still appearing to be similar in size.
Though, there do seem to be (at least) two spots of lighter color to the inside-side of the Left Arm...?

#4544 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 26 July 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Also, from the Orion thread (and the same video as the Wolverine art)...
Posted Image
(courtesy of Druidika)

Though, the original build of Kerensky's Orion didn't have the LRM launcher; it was replaced with a Snub-Nose PPC (which can be exchanged for a Standard or ER PPC in the MWO version by moving one FF critical to free up the space and dropping one ton of Gauss Rifle ammunition to free up the tonnage).

However, the gray-and-red color scheme shown in the screenshot matches that of the 11th Legion of Vega, which was Theodore Kurita's unit while he was on Marfik and piloting the rebuilt (as a standard ON1-K loadout) form of Kerensky's Orion (which he named "Revenant") at the beginning of the Fourth Succession War.
(The story of Theodore and the Revenant, which was destroyed in the Fourth Succession War, is told in the BT novel Heir to the Dragon.)

By contrast, the 'Mechs of the Tortuga Fusiliers are bainted black with blue trim while the 'Mechs of the Death's Consorts (which aren't formed until Paula Trevaline's release from imprisonment in 3064) are painted bone grey with black trim.
Additionally, it seems (from this source) that Paula Trevaline's personal Orion, before her capture and imprisonment in 3042, was an ON1-K that was painted green.

Additionally, the Lurch (piloted by Yvonne Morticia of Team Banzai) would presumably be painted black with yellow trim (the unit's colors), which also doesn't quite match what is shown in the video (unless the video coloring or the lighting in that room is slightly off ;)).

So, from the screenshot, I would guess that the Orion pictured (assuming it is the Hero Orion) would seem to be Theodore Kurita's Revenant (or perhaps some homage thereto), or possibly the Lurch or some other as-yet-unknown Orion.

Your thoughts?

Thing is Theodore Kurita painted the Revenant the same olive drab color Kerensky had it originally. My question is how di Kerensy have a Snub Nose PPC when it wasn't even available til 3067?

#4545 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 July 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

Thing is Theodore Kurita painted the Revenant the same olive drab color Kerensky had it originally. My question is how di Kerensy have a Snub Nose PPC when it wasn't even available til 3067?

SN-PPCs are actually LosTech; they're explicitly mentioned in the old Star League sourcebook (on page 61) as having been developed under the reign of Jonathan Cameron.

The fruits of First Lord Jonathan's military renaissance began to appear in Royal units of the SLDF almost immediately. Improved 'Mechs, Headhunter Missiles, Snub-nosed PPCs, and countless new vehicles appeared, utilizing breakthrough research in such areas as energy and myomer technology.
However, the Clans evidently (and for reasons unknown) did not retain the technology and the IS doesn't re-invent them until 3067.

Kerensky, being the overall commander of the SLDF, would have had access to the latest and greatest of the Terran Hegemony's 'Mech technology - the kind of stuff that goes first to the SLDF Royals (the "elite core" of the SLDF, composed solely of units originating from the Hegemony), then trickles down to the broader SLDF (composed of units originating from the Houses' realms, but integrated into the SLDF and loyal to the Star League), and then trickled down from there to the Houses' armies.

You're right on the paint job, though.
"The paint had a lower albedo than the manuals recommended, but Theodore was happy to live with the increased solar heat absorption. He had spent weeks of patient research discovering the color scheme carried when the machine had served General Kerensky. Once the colors were authenticated, he had painted the 'Mech himself. Only the insignia were different. Instead of Star League markings, the Orion now carried the serpentine dragon of House Kurita. Within the gaping jaws of the dragon, clear upon the red field of the disk, was a silver star, the cadency mark of the Heir-Designate. He was very proud of the 'Mech and had named it the "Revenant."" (September 3019; source)
"Heany ran a full scan of the area. Radar picked out a flock of targets moving southeast between the hills, headed toward the cursed forest. She focused the visual scanners on them: ten Kurita BattleMechs led by a drab green Orion." (September 3028; source)

So, who else might pilot a gray/black and red/orange/yellow Orion?

#4546 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 26 July 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

SN-PPCs are actually LosTech; they're explicitly mentioned in the old Star League sourcebook (on page 61) as having been developed under the reign of Jonathan Cameron.However, the Clans evidently (and for reasons unknown) did not retain the technology and the IS doesn't re-invent them until 3067.

Kerensky, being the overall commander of the SLDF, would have had access to the latest and greatest of the Terran Hegemony's 'Mech technology - the kind of stuff that goes first to the SLDF Royals (the "elite core" of the SLDF, composed solely of units originating from the Hegemony), then trickles down to the broader SLDF (composed of units originating from the Houses' realms, but integrated into the SLDF and loyal to the Star League), and then trickled down from there to the Houses' armies.

You're right on the paint job, though.
"The paint had a lower albedo than the manuals recommended, but Theodore was happy to live with the increased solar heat absorption. He had spent weeks of patient research discovering the color scheme carried when the machine had served General Kerensky. Once the colors were authenticated, he had painted the 'Mech himself. Only the insignia were different. Instead of Star League markings, the Orion now carried the serpentine dragon of House Kurita. Within the gaping jaws of the dragon, clear upon the red field of the disk, was a silver star, the cadency mark of the Heir-Designate. He was very proud of the 'Mech and had named it the "Revenant."" (September 3019; source)
"Heany ran a full scan of the area. Radar picked out a flock of targets moving southeast between the hills, headed toward the cursed forest. She focused the visual scanners on them: ten Kurita BattleMechs led by a drab green Orion." (September 3028; source)

So, who else might pilot a gray/black and red/orange/yellow Orion?

Yvonne Morticia, Team Banzai would be my first choice. IDK about the paint scheme ( I think Banzais do their own thing) but she is the most interesting choice.

"
  • Yvonne Morticia - Commander of the Team Banzai JumpShip Nth Dimension; a DropShip pilot; and a renowned sharpshooter in her personalOrion BattleMech."
Was mentioned in the original TRO 3025

#4547 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Interesting thing about that PPC qoute, is it is literally the ONLY time they are mentioned until FanPro era. Only thing close is the description of the Tiegart PPCs carried by the THUG, noted as compact, short barreled ones. I wonder if the ones listed in the old SLDF books are directly tied to the later 3067 ones, or like the ones on the THUG, more of a fluff connotation?

Sadly, we will probably never know.

BTW.. happy note, I got my Jenner (SARAH) in the first batch today! Happy!

#4548 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 26 July 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Also, it should be noted that the Orion artwork from the video still shows what appears to be the same light green laser lenses in both arms as the original debut artwork, along with the arms still appearing to be similar in size.

View PostOdanan, on 26 July 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

Can you elaborate? I'm afraid I didn't understand a fracking thing you said.

After staring at the picture for far too long trying to find anything different aside from the black/grey extensions on both the upper and lower parts of the arms, I've concluded that LA does indeed hold a ballistic weapon. Heck, I did a color test and no green to be found in that area from both shots (the one you posted and one from a bigger distance).

Just look at the middle of the LA. Intead of a green circle (which is how a pixelated LA on Orion would look), you'll just see a silver ring around the middle which matches the colors on the AC/10 in Orion's RT. Don't you see it?

#4549 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:12 AM

View PostAdridos, on 27 July 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

After staring at the picture for far too long trying to find anything different aside from the black/grey extensions on both the upper and lower parts of the arms, I've concluded that LA does indeed hold a ballistic weapon. Heck, I did a color test and no green to be found in that area from both shots (the one you posted and one from a bigger distance).

Just look at the middle of the LA. Intead of a green circle (which is how a pixelated LA on Orion would look), you'll just see a silver ring around the middle which matches the colors on the AC/10 in Orion's RT. Don't you see it?

Well, I do hope the hero Orion will have dual-Gauss capability but I doubt this is indicated by the image. That's just a regular Orion repainted - surely it doesn't reflect the loadout of the variant.

Very sad about the green painting (which could exclude the Revenant)... maybe the Orange/Grey colors in the mech are before Theodore found the right painting?

#4550 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:20 AM

View PostOdanan, on 27 July 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

That's just a regular Orion repainted - surely it doesn't reflect the loadout of the variant.

We'll see about that... hopefully next month. I'm telling you, this thing surely doen't mount a medium laser in it's arm.

Edited by Adridos, 27 July 2013 - 01:21 AM.

#4551 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:36 AM

View PostAdridos, on 27 July 2013 - 01:20 AM, said:

We'll see about that... hopefully next month. I'm telling you, this thing surely doen't mount a medium laser in it's arm.

I hope you are right. :)

#4552 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

View PostBelorion, on 26 July 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

On a different note. That specially painted concept art is the PP version of the mech. If you look at all the images here:https://plus.google....762003975772161 you will notice that the green ones have different geometry. The green Battlemaster is missing the large shoulder ridges. The Locust head is different. The Thunderbolt shoulders are different. The Shadow Hawk has less railing on the joints... etc. The profile of the green Battlemaster fits the one that was up before the silhouette got changed just prior to the Battlemaster art reveal.

Is it official?

#4553 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostThe Birdeater, on 27 July 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

Is it official?

I think yes. Special geometry was a part of the deal with Phenix mechs, after all.

#4554 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:29 AM

Hopefully they show us the regular variants of these four mechs in high resolutons and with story, soon.

#4555 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 July 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

Yvonne Morticia, Team Banzai would be my first choice. IDK about the paint scheme ( I think Banzais do their own thing) but she is the most interesting choice.

"
  • Yvonne Morticia - Commander of the Team Banzai JumpShip Nth Dimension; a DropShip pilot; and a renowned sharpshooter in her personalOrion BattleMech."
Was mentioned in the original TRO 3025

As it happens, I wrote up a post about her earlier in this thread. :)

View PostStrum Wealh, on 30 May 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

Personally, I'd prefer Yvonne Morticia, from Team Banzai.

From Sarna: "Commander of the Team Banzai JumpShip Nth Dimension; a DropShip pilot; and a renowned sharpshooter in her personal Orion BattleMech."

From TRO 3025: "Looking as if she slinked out of a vampire video, Yvonne Morticia is the sexy, slightly disturbing member of the equally weird Team Banzai. Besides being an excellent gunner, she is also a DropShip pilot and the commander of Team Banzai`s JumpShip, the Nth Dimension.

It often seems as if Yvonne participates in a land battle to divert her from more intellectual tasks. She views the victims of her black Orion, named the Lurch, with pity and a hint of contempt for their lack of skills. She has been offered a newer `Mech, but turned the offer down, saying that the Lurch was too close a friend."

Team Banzai emblem:
Posted Image

Team Banzai paint scheme:
Posted Image

Pilot concept image:
Posted Image
(Kate Beckinsale, as "Selene" from the Underworld series)

Thoughts? :(

Though, the color scheme shown in the screenshot doesn't really match the known Team Banzai color scheme (seems like it needs more black, and the secondary color would be closer to bright yellow than red/orange).

Also, is it just me or does the Orion shown in the screenshot seem to have a narrower main body (even after accounting for the angle of the camera), a longer and more-rectangular window assembly, a longer and higher back-mounted protrusion/"hunch", and a taller-but-narrower LRM launcher than the original debut art? :o
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4556 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

It is the same Orion. The painting and the angle are misleading you.

(heck, it even has the same window, even if Alex Iglesias said he would change it)

#4557 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

See:
Posted Image

#4558 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

Death by Orion can't wait!

#4559 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

I'm thinking we are going to have a total of 32 Inner Sphere BattleMechs before they announce the Clans. With that in mind, it means we might have this lineup when all is said and done (--- my picks :) )...

Light
Commando
Spider
Raven
Jenner
Flea
Locust
--- Firestarter
--- UrbanMech

Medium
Cicada
Blackjack
Centurion
Hunchback
Trebuchet
Shadow Hawk
Wolverine
--- Assassin

Heavy
Dragon
Quickdraw
Catapult
JagerMech
Cataphract
Orion
Thunderbolt
--- Guillotine

Assault
Awesome
Victor
Stalker
Highlander
Atlas
Battlemaster
--- Cyclops
--- Banshee

Edited by Maverick01, 27 July 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#4560 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 27 July 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

I'm thinking they are going to have a total of 32 Inner Sphere BattleMechs before they announce the Clans. With that said, it means we will have 8 'Mechs per weight class. :)

if that's right there is only room for 2 more assaults, Banshee, Devastator?

36 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users