#4581 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 27 July 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

The developers should consider adding the Lancelot to MWO. This 60 ton heavy BattleMech has a lot of speed and firepower to bring to the table in a slender package. It would fill the role of a high speed raider at 97.2 km/h. Yes, this mech is an energy boat, but also has variants with ballistic hardpoints. I'm actually thinking this would probably be the best choice for the next heavy mech (if we get one ;)). Thoughts?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Lancelot

Posted Image

Lancelot, definitely.

The 3 minimum variants are: LNC25-01 (crazy fast laser boat), LNC25-01X (crazy fast laser boat upgraded and jumper), LNC25-03 (slower, but still Dragon-fast dual AC boat).

As much as I find the Champion sexy, the Lancelot brings more to the table.

#4582 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 July 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

Go and build a 4 gauss unit in Remlab. You'll get a kick out of it dude. You go slow as heck. Basically its real hard to balance the tonnage, crits and such on this beast to actually optimize it.

Mind you, with Clan Tech, it's very doable. But compared to the Warhawk, Direwolf and such, a 32 kph 12.5 ton or armor mech is less than noteworthy.

And part of it si much like what they did with the Stalker. Nerf the heck out of it's mobility. Sure, if you charge it head on, you are screwed, but you SHOPULD be screwed charging an Annihilator.

But it should be easy as HECK to flank it, especially as it's engine cap will be PATHETIC. 1.4 multiplier? so what a 240 max Engine? Good news is that an XL wouldn't even need to be considered.

(Of course, for me, the 4 Gauss is kinda boring. 2 AC/20 (side torsos) 2 Mediums (CT), 2 ER PPC , that would be more my speed.

Do you think the devs avoided the AC/40, dual-Gauss Victor (even if they could get real money from that) to allow a quad Gauss?

Yes, the Annihilator would be fragile and slow as hell, but 60 pinpoint damage without any heat is quite a punch.

#4583 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:49 AM

View PostOdanan, on 28 July 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

Do you think the devs avoided the AC/40, dual-Gauss Victor (even if they could get real money from that) to allow a quad Gauss?

Yes, the Annihilator would be fragile and slow as hell, but 60 pinpoint damage without any heat is quite a punch.

I think they avoided it because dual AC20 PLUS JJ (or Gauss +) was correctly foreseen as the next obvious METARAPE. 2 Gauss, 2 PPC and Jumping?

Eventually, it will happen. HOw can the Anni be anymore an issue to balance than a Daishi will be which should have UNLIMITED hardpoints?
(We can hope they mitigate that somehow, but not sure HOW while still being an "Omni").

#4584 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:00 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 July 2013 - 04:49 AM, said:

Eventually, it will happen. HOw can the Anni be anymore an issue to balance than a Daishi will be which should have UNLIMITED hardpoints?
(We can hope they mitigate that somehow, but not sure HOW while still being an "Omni").

I doubt the Omni mechs will have unlimited hardpoints - that would be throwing the game to the trash can.
In fact, the devs could just give a cold shower to all these Clan {Noble MechWarriors} (and fix the balance issue) by making the omni mechs not-customizable: you can change the whole omni variant, but the weapons in each variant are locked.

#4585 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostOdanan, on 28 July 2013 - 05:00 AM, said:

I doubt the Omni mechs will have unlimited hardpoints - that would be throwing the game to the trash can.
In fact, the devs could just give a cold shower to all these Clan {Noble MechWarriors} (and fix the balance issue) by making the omni mechs not-customizable: you can change the whole omni variant, but the weapons in each variant are locked.

So, in essence, give IS omnies and Clans get IS mechs? As an IS fan, I'm not that much against it, but there's a sizable portion of guys who would really get a tad angry about IS getting the better mechs.

Just look at Highlander's adding of LRM pods to it's arm... what's the difference between that and omni changes (this -> this). We're pretty much full omni already.

Edited by Adridos, 28 July 2013 - 05:05 AM.

#4586 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:19 AM

View PostOdanan, on 28 July 2013 - 05:00 AM, said:

while I would love it, that would defeat the design.

admittedly, thaat is what 90% OF cLAN warriors do, and all they are allowed, but we are all "HEROS" or some such, so need to get the "special" treatment.

View PostAdridos, on 28 July 2013 - 05:02 AM, said:

So, in essence, give IS omnies and Clans get IS mechs? As an IS fan, I'm not that much against it, but there's a sizable portion of guys who would really get a tad angry about IS getting the better mechs.

Just look at Highlander's adding of LRM pods to it's arm... what's the difference between that and omni changes (this -> this). We're pretty much full omni already.

easy way to keep IS from having the better mechs.... not allow them to equip clan tech.

#4587 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 27 July 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Bishop, don't get me wrong I would love to see the Annihilator, but don't you think 4 Gauss Rifles would break the game? I'm trying to figure out how they would implement this 'Mech into the game without having balance issues. Thoughts?

They have scrapped those Victor variants with more ballistic slots in the side torsoes for the same issue.. balance. I'd like the Annihilator, it could be there with us, only if they will consider hardpoint restrictions, so that you can't fit more than two gauss in that thing (with 2 more lighter ballistics eventually allowed)..

#4588 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

View PostOdanan, on 28 July 2013 - 04:27 AM, said:

Lancelot, definitely.

The 3 minimum variants are: LNC25-01 (crazy fast laser boat), LNC25-01X (crazy fast laser boat upgraded and jumper), LNC25-03 (slower, but still Dragon-fast dual AC boat).

As much as I find the Champion sexy, the Lancelot brings more to the table.

The Lancelot does possesses more timeline-appropriate variants, with greater variety across its variants - two of them (LNC25-01 and LNC25-02) are energy boats with a minimum of 4E hardpoints, one of them (LNC25-03) has a minimum hardpoint requirement of 2E + 2B, and the last one (LNC25-05) has a minimum hardpoint requirement of 3E + 4B.

The Lancelot is also notable for being particularly fast, coming stock with a 360-rated Engine (LNC25-01 and LNC25-05) or a 300-rated Engine (LNC25-03), though one variant (LNC25-02) moves only at average Heavy 'Mech speeds.

As for the LNC25-01X, only two of them survived the Succession Wars, but the NAIS did get a chance to examine and refurbish one roundabout 3039, so the FedSuns would hypothetically have the data to put it back into production.

Prior to Amaris seizing Terra, Krupp had been field-testing a new prototype, the -01X, using more advanced technology. An advanced endo-steel skeleton allowed the addition of jump jets while ferro-fibrous armor was added to increase protection, and the large lasers were upgraded to ER versions. Reports from pilots indicate that the jump jets added little, and more armor or heat sinks would be preferable. Krupp, though, never had a chance to make those changes.

-----

Smith had been piloting a Marauder, but with the Highlanders now working for the Federated Suns, the NAIS has lent some technical support to bring his family’s Lancelot, one of the two surviving -01Xs, back into operational condition in exchange for being able to study it.

(source: TRO 3039, pg. 264)

If the Lancelot is chosen, I would expect the variants to be the -01 (as the basic/default variant), -01X (as the only jump-capable variant), and the -02 (as the Succession Wars "downgrade" variant), with the -05 (as "the ballistics variant") as a possible fourth (where the -03 can be built from the minimum required hardpoints of the -05).

Thoughts?

#4589 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 July 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

while I would love it, that would defeat the design.

admittedly, thaat is what 90% OF cLAN warriors do, and all they are allowed, but we are all "HEROS" or some such, so need to get the "special" treatment.

More like 99%.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 July 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

easy way to keep IS from having the better mechs.... not allow them to equip clan tech.

But of course IS won't have clan equip!
This is not MW4, for God's sake.

#4590 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostOdanan, on 28 July 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

But of course IS won't have clan equip!

I wish we also wouldnt have the Mechlab. Atleast not the way it is now. Would be alot more fun.

Edited by Wieland, 29 July 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#4591 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostWieland, on 29 July 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

I wish we also wouldnt have the Mechlab. Atleast not the way it is now. Would be alot more fun.

Ooh, can't agree with that. I have been convinced of the necessity of harpoints, but at heart I am a tinker. Building and rebuilding the mechs is half (a third?) the fun of the game!

#4592 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostBarHaid, on 29 July 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Ooh, can't agree with that. I have been convinced of the necessity of harpoints, but at heart I am a tinker. Building and rebuilding the mechs is half (a third?) the fun of the game!

Mech lab is fine, it's the uncontrolled hardpoints. Sizing hard points would still allow for a lot of customization, but would also maintain role diversity among chassis and minimize Metarape.

For instance, PPCs would not be near the "issue" is people weren't able to cram them into Commandos, spiders and jenners that were never meant to pack them in the first place. Or if Stalkers could only mount 2, instead of 6.

#4593 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 July 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Mech lab is fine, it's the uncontrolled hardpoints. Sizing hard points would still allow for a lot of customization, but would also maintain role diversity among chassis and minimize Metarape.

For instance, PPCs would not be near the "issue" is people weren't able to cram them into Commandos, spiders and jenners that were never meant to pack them in the first place. Or if Stalkers could only mount 2, instead of 6.

Yeah, but the devs have THEIR vision of the game.
And they already said no to sized hardpoints.(Ok, we all know tommorow they might say its the holy grail.)

With sized hardpoints you could also give underused chassis a purpose.
Like for example that Jenner with less hardpoints than the other 2.

Edited by Wieland, 29 July 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#4594 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 July 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Mech lab is fine, it's the uncontrolled hardpoints.

Even so, you still needed to pay for the removing of one weapon/equipment and the fixing of the new one, like in Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. That's something tricky and expensive.

In MW2:M, sometimes you had to use the stock chassis just to save money. That was a good thing. I remember I used to make the hard decision: buy a new mech or customize the old one?

#4595 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostOdanan, on 29 July 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

Even so, you still needed to pay for the removing of one weapon/equipment and the fixing of the new one, like in Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. That's something tricky and expensive.

In MW2:M, sometimes you had to use the stock chassis just to save money. That was a good thing. I remember I used to make the hard decision: buy a new mech or customize the old one?

absolutely. but everyone it seems want this to be an instant gratification FPS, or at least the at is the crowd PGI seems to have decided to cater to.

Sad part is, it screws the one part of the customer base who would actually STAY over the long haul instead of jumping to the next new thing that arrives. Why "Gamers" think every single game has to be made to cater to the FPS crowd, IDK. It seems inconcievable to many that maybe the point of a game like Mechwarrior should be to cater to the fans of Mechwarrior and Battletech, and maybe gain some new converts along the way? Instead they make a bastardized halfazz game that doesn't really satisfy ANYONE, and wonder why their actual player base is staying static, or even dropping, no matter how much Russ and Paul want to trumpet about their 1.1 million registered players (4 of which are me). Be meaningful if even 1/10 of those registered players were on at any given time.

They need to stop and read the description of the "Thresher" found in the 3058 TRO:

"one big compromise, just like a bill in the Assembly that no one wants to pass but no one is willing to kill. The thing gets modified and diddled in committee until it's equally unacceptable to everyone."

seems to describe the direction MWO has gone.

#4596 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

I don't think MWO has gone so far in the wrong road. I enjoy the game.
Sure, some things could be improved, but the core of the game is solid.

Features I really look forward:
- Solaris;
- Private matches;
- PVE.

#4597 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Probably already been mentioned somewhere, but pretty interesting that in a recent news story from PGI's offices about Sarah's Jenner, there is a pic of Flying Debris drawing a Wolverine. http://www.nogutsnog...opic,649.0.html

#4598 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

Here are the top 4 Assault Mechs I would like to see:
1.Banshee - The game seriously needs a 95-ton mech for the Assault class.
2.Zeus - (Steiner Flagmech) The Davions get their flagmech (no offense to Davions) but not Steiner? That's not fair! Besides, the Zeus has some viable variants.
3.Hatamoto-Chi - (Kurita Flagmech) I just think it looks cool.
4.King Crab - It has some pretty devestating variants for its tonnage.

Edited by Will9761, 30 July 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#4599 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

View PostWill9761, on 30 July 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Here are the top 4 Assault Mechs I would like to see:
1.Banshee - The game seriously needs a 95-ton mech for the Assault class.
2.Zeus - (Steiner Flagmech) The Davions get their flagmech (no offense to Davions) but not Steiner? That's not fair! Besides, the Zeus has some viable variants.
3.Hatamoto-Chi - (Kurita Flagmech) I just think it looks cool.
4.King Crab - It has some pretty devestating variants for its tonnage.

Maybe someday we will get all these mechs, but...
- Zeus: too similar to the Orion;
- Hatamoto-Chi: too similar to the Awesome;
- King-Crab: not as powerful as people think (tough I'm looking forward for a dual AC/20 assault mech).

#4600 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostOdanan, on 30 July 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

Maybe someday we will get all these mechs, but...
- Zeus: too similar to the Orion;
- Hatamoto-Chi: too similar to the Awesome;
- King-Crab: not as powerful as people think (tough I'm looking forward for a dual AC/20 assault mech).
Ehh, I don't see the Zeus being too similar to the Orion. Zeus gets arm mounted ballistics and mssiles vs the Orion's torso mounts. That's a pretty big play-style difference in my book.

27 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook