ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostOdanan, on 10 August 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

You got a point there, IMO but there aren't many good IS mechs left - in terms of number of variants, availability, role and distinguish looks. Too many homogeneous variants and humanoid mechs...

FTFY

#4762 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

In my opinion, PGI should release Flea (non MASC variants if MASC isn't fixed yet) along with the Orion in a dual release to celebrate MWO's official launch in September 17 for maximum impact.

#4763 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

View PostOdanan, on 10 August 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

You got a point there, but there aren't many good IS mechs left - in terms of number of variants, availability, role and distinguish looks. Too many homogeneous variants and humanoid mechs...

Odanan, there are plenty of Inner Sphere 'Mechs available. In my opinion, not every 'Mech has to offer alot of diversity to be added to MWO. Some 'Mechs could be added just because it's cool.

#4764 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

^ Black Knight for a example! :) :D

#4765 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:16 AM

Yea most mechs in battletech... particularly ones that survived the Succession Wars tended to be role specific, until upgrades and lost technology returned. Victor is one prime example with majority of the machines being the VTR-9B, a close range city brawler. There are plenty of machines that can fit in well, the issue is PGI has decreed you need 3 variants just to maximize the potency of it.

Thus it's PGI pigeon-holing themselves, whereas if we had individual experience trees unique to each mech, then unique traits per chassis... we might have 1 variant chassis available. But we can only hope and dream... and shake our heads in wonder :) ...

#4766 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:57 AM

View PostApostal, on 11 August 2013 - 01:16 AM, said:

Yea most mechs in battletech... particularly ones that survived the Succession Wars tended to be role specific, until upgrades and lost technology returned. Victor is one prime example with majority of the machines being the VTR-9B, a close range city brawler. There are plenty of machines that can fit in well, the issue is PGI has decreed you need 3 variants just to maximize the potency of it.

Thus it's PGI pigeon-holing themselves, whereas if we had individual experience trees unique to each mech, then unique traits per chassis... we might have 1 variant chassis available. But we can only hope and dream... and shake our heads in wonder :) ...

With everything they have said about UI 2.0 and everything that's been left unsaid, I wonder if PGI is taking a look at this..... They aren't dumb.....

#4767 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:25 AM

What PGI is doing is getting 'mechs in with already available variants so that they don't have to come up with fluff variants for the base chassis. This allows them to pull from the current timeline until it's dry while lining up future 'mechs for when they bump the timeline or allow them to eventually make up their own variants if they come to a point they can't produce any more 'mechs by timeline/variant restriction.

Game launches with a bunch of 'mechs they've already announced with a few more left in the pot, then the Clans hit and they start rolling out machines that then have their new variants viable by timeline release. They go from there.

Next 'mechs I'd like to see are the Cyclops for Assault, Guillotine for Heavy, Wolverine for Medium (DO WANT), and the Wolfhound or Mercury for Light.

#4768 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 11 August 2013 - 06:25 AM, said:

What PGI is doing is getting 'mechs in with already available variants so that they don't have to come up with fluff variants for the base chassis. This allows them to pull from the current timeline until it's dry while lining up future 'mechs for when they bump the timeline or allow them to eventually make up their own variants if they come to a point they can't produce any more 'mechs by timeline/variant restriction.

Game launches with a bunch of 'mechs they've already announced with a few more left in the pot, then the Clans hit and they start rolling out machines that then have their new variants viable by timeline release. They go from there.

Next 'mechs I'd like to see are the Cyclops for Assault, Guillotine for Heavy, Wolverine for Medium (DO WANT), and the Wolfhound or Mercury for Light.

I think the Wolfhound (even if it had enough variants, which it doesn't) would get eaten alive. No ECM, no JJs. And no missiles. Literally no advantage over the Raven or Jenner. So basically it would have to get by on looks. (And so far no one has produced an official version that did that well, either).

TT beast is totally outclassed in free customizable FPS game. Yet another argument FOR sized hardpoints I reckon.

#4769 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Of interest might be that Matt Newman (Producer at PGI) indicated in MDB Podcast #14 (starting around the 27:25 mark) that he had (as of the day the podcast was recorded) received the e-mail containing the final version of the Wolverine concept art.

That would seem to imply that there is a good chance that the Wolverine could indeed be the next Medium 'Mech announced.

Though, there is also still the possibility that the Devs could "pull a Quickdraw" and substitute another Medium (Dervish? Vindicator? Sentinel?) in what would have been its place...? ;)

#4770 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 August 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

I think the Wolfhound (even if it had enough variants, which it doesn't) would get eaten alive. No ECM, no JJs. And no missiles. Literally no advantage over the Raven or Jenner. So basically it would have to get by on looks. (And so far no one has produced an official version that did that well, either).

TT beast is totally outclassed in free customizable FPS game. Yet another argument FOR sized hardpoints I reckon.

That list was mostly what I'd want to see, Wolfhound can't make the list cause as you said, doesn't meet the pre-req variants (second and main variant doesn't even get produced for another 2 years in game time.) However, the ECM argument is a bit weak as the Atlas didn't have ECM on it's D-DC variant until MWO put it there. JJ's are a valid point, but not all lights run Jump Jets anyway.

Wolverine making it into the game is like a godsend for me, however. I can't WAIT for that!

#4771 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 11 August 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

That list was mostly what I'd want to see, Wolfhound can't make the list cause as you said, doesn't meet the pre-req variants (second and main variant doesn't even get produced for another 2 years in game time.) However, the ECM argument is a bit weak as the Atlas didn't have ECM on it's D-DC variant until MWO put it there. JJ's are a valid point, but not all lights run Jump Jets anyway.

Wolverine making it into the game is like a godsend for me, however. I can't WAIT for that!

True. but which non jumping Light without ECM last long on the battlefield? The only CMD with a life expectancy above, well, nothing, is the 2D with ECM. One can't assume it would get ECM, and it's speed is mediocre for a non jumping Light, because it's design role didn't require more. (Though hunting Panthers without JJs seems a little odd).

Hey, you think life is hard for your pet Light, try being the advocate of all things Urbanmech like I am!

#4772 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 August 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

True. but which non jumping Light without ECM last long on the battlefield? The only CMD with a life expectancy above, well, nothing, is the 2D with ECM. One can't assume it would get ECM, and it's speed is mediocre for a non jumping Light, because it's design role didn't require more. (Though hunting Panthers without JJs seems a little odd).

Hey, you think life is hard for your pet Light, try being the advocate of all things Urbanmech like I am!

Hehe, he said Urbanmech! ;)

#4773 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 August 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Yea, it wouldn't get ECM but then so many lights have it, and most teams run so ECM heavy it's redundant almost.

Is it odd that when you said Urbanmech I immediately thought "Wouldn't that be the best backpack ever?"

#4774 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

I think people don't realize that some 'Mechs bring more to MWO due to their iconic status (UrbanMech, Vindicator, Panther, Zeus) than hardpoints, role, number of variants, etc.

#4775 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 11 August 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

I think people don't realize that some 'Mechs bring more to MWO due to their iconic status (UrbanMech, Vindicator, Panther, Zeus) than hardpoints, role, number of variants, etc.

At this point I'm happy pretty much with whatever they give us. Pretty much every weight class has any kind of playstyle covered within reason, so adding 'mechs people like just because they like them (with the pre-req three variants/timeline legal,) is fine with me and has been for a while.

And because it's going to be hitting the market, let's take a look at the Wolverine!

Wolverine WVR-6R:

RA: 1x Ballistic (AC/5)
HD: 1x Energy (Medium Laser)
LT: 1x Missile (SRM 6)
Jump Jets: 5 (1x CT, 2x LT, 3x RT)
Standard 275 Engine: 86.4 KPH
Max 355 Engine: 104 KPH

Decent speed if you want to really ratchet up the engine weight, though it's still not bad if you don't want to dump all that tonnage into it's reactor. Jump Jets will definitely help but it's weapons load out is very limited for it's size, and the head mounted laser gimps the hardpoint to the medium laser or smaller. Would most likely receive additional hardpoints as most designs this light on weapon hardpoints go. I'd guess an extra missile in the LT, energy in the RT or RA, maybe another ballistic in the RT, or a combination there of.

Wolverine WVR-6M:

RA: 1x Energy (Large Laser)
LA: 1x Energy (Medium Laser)
Standard 275 Engine: 86.4 KPH

This one gains an additional weapon hardpoint for it's baseline while going laser heavy by swapping out it's Autocannon/5. Probably a more popular variant then the 6R for being able to pack more weaponry aboard even if it has to be lasers. They could keep the ballistic in the RA as an additional added hardpoint for this design, but then it would completely render the original design moot unless there was more variation in added hardpoints. I'd say maybe an additional laser in the RA, one to two more missiles in the LT, or maybe two ballistics in the RT.

Wolverine WVR-7D:

RA: 1x Ballistic (Ultra AC/5)
HD: 1x Energy (Medium Pulse Laser)
XL 275 Engine: 86.4 KPH (108 KPH M.A.S.C)

Not a big difference again from the stock model, though this one comes with an XL engine, Ferro-Fibrous armor, and M.A.S.C. which we'll get once they release the Flea most likely. Not really sure they'll go with this variant, but it's possible.

Wolverine WVR-7H:

RA: 1x Ballistic (Ultra AC/5)
HD: 1x Energy (Medium Pulse Laser)
LT: 1x Missile (SRM 6 + Artemis VI FCS)
XL 275 Engine: 86.4 KPH

Star League Royal variant. Extinct before Succession Wars began.

Wolverine WVR-7K:

RA: 2x Energy (Large Pulse Laser, Small Pulse Laser)
RT: 1x Missile (SRM 6)
LA: 1x Energy (Medium Laser)
XL 275 Engine: 86.4 KPH

Produced in 3050, it's the most up to date version of the Wolverine and last on the list able to be considered within the current legal timeline. It's also got the best base weapon spread by number, but it's lacking in ballistic hardpoints for those who want them. Easy to add one or two or just add more missiles in the torsos..but then it runs the risk of being a Kintaro copy. PGI may not care about that since overlap is going to happen a bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all this in mind, I can see the WVR-6R, WVR-6M, and WVR-7K being added as it's first three variants. 7H is a royal variant and as with other royal variants probably won't be seen for a while if ever, as most of them are technically extinct as they've been lost, destroyed, or went with Kerensky. 7D would be semi interesting due to the inclusion of M.A.S.C., but without knowing fully how it works in MW:O or if it's got a dedicated hardpoint/availability like ECM does, I think it's not as compelling as the other variants to start off the 'mech with.

It's got a lot of weapon overlap until it gets hard points added and a lot of it really doesn't change much at all between variants, but it's got great potential to be a strong Medium that packs decent speed and jump jets with decent weaponry. Now, if only Medium 'Mechs weren't in an awkward state in game...but balance is an ongoing beast.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 11 August 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#4776 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

I'm happy that they finally put a 55 ton mech to fill in the medium class gap (even though its not the Dervish), now if only the devs could add a certain 95-ton time-wise, Assault mech in the game, I would be very happy.

Edited by Will9761, 12 August 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#4777 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

I'm just happy that I'll be able to troll Clannerds with hordes of Wolverines. Oh yes. Did I mention Salome Ward piloted one? For the uninitiated that's Phelan Kell's mother.

#4778 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

When we use those mechs, our battlecry shall be:
WOLVERINES!!!!

Edited by Will9761, 12 August 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#4779 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

next heavy mech, did somebody say

LANCELOT?!?!?!
Posted Image

#4780 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

If only the Excalibur had three pre-3050 non-Royal variants and the Valiant existed before 3068 (and had three pre-3050 non-Royal variants)... together with the Black Knight and the Lancelot, they could have made up an awesome "knight's tale pack" or "knighthood pack" or something like that. :D

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook