BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#5221 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

I guess if PGI decides to have a stock mech only drop, that might help mix things up bit. factory fresh mechs, no upgrades, now back to the show! Posted Image

#5222 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

I still remember the Black Knight from Mechwarrior 4. Looking at the MW4 design, it looks like a perfect subject for an Alex Inglesias treatment. Its going to look wonders with Inglesias style, although I sense it will likely have a CT problem (it was fairly easy to shoot at back even in those days).

#5223 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

View PostFireSlade, on 23 September 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

You are right in the fact that it would fix a lot of problems; hell even implementing hardpoint sizes would do wonders for balancing the game. Problem with that is that half the fun in the game is designing builds of your favorite mech and making them work in game. Another problem you would start to see is that only some mechs would ever get used, more than now, because players always look for the path of the least resistance (easy mode). At least with the mech lab as is now we see people using their favorite mechs since they can build a better design than stock and use it.

sized hardpoints would still allow that. It just means that you couldn't turn an Awesome into a Zeus, and a Zeus into an Awesome. So if you want a heavy energy boat, you drive the Awesome. All around all purpose mech, the Zeus. In fighter, a Victor. But you could still modify the load outs but it would be within the roles the mech was designed for.

#5224 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 September 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

sized hardpoints would still allow that. It just means that you couldn't turn an Awesome into a Zeus, and a Zeus into an Awesome. So if you want a heavy energy boat, you drive the Awesome. All around all purpose mech, the Zeus. In fighter, a Victor. But you could still modify the load outs but it would be within the roles the mech was designed for.

I think that it was something that MW4 did right and found MWO to have issues with. It would have solved a lot of issues with PPC boating, AC20 Ravens, and the AC40/Twin Gauss Jagermechs. It may have even forced people to vary their designs more but I bet that only a few flavor of the month mechs would be used, depending on what is OP. Still it would be better than what we have now with people stuffing PPCs and AC20s in slots that were only meant to fit a ML or MG.

#5225 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Just reading the latest Dev interviews. It is what I suspected. Get Project Phoenix and Saber done, and PGI are all concentrating on Clan mechs next, probably around 4 to 8 of them. We might expect this sometime in the first or second half of 2014.

I suspect there might be a pack coming for the holiday season and early availability for those who paid up before their Mech of the Month releases.

In my own conclusion, unless PGI is going to do two mechs a month, the next 8 mechs we are going to expect for the game are going to be Clan.

Still, Russ appears to talk about entry level mechs for each class, mechs that are a good introduction point for the class for a beginner. For an assault, that means like an 80 ton vs. a 90 or 100 ton. Reading between the lines that means a Zeus might be more likely than a Banshee, or a Warhawk over a Daishi. I am not sure if he means entry level as being closest to a mean (50 tons), or simply the lightest of its class. In any case, this suggests an emphasis towards mech candidates that might be more suitable for people entering the game.

#5226 ReguIus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 September 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

Hell, you might even get people to buy more premium time just for the grind...

#5227 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:47 AM

View PostWieland, on 23 September 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

To make it short, the next unannounced mech will come in April.

So this game is dead for me. :)

#5228 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:02 AM

View PostOdanan, on 24 September 2013 - 02:47 AM, said:

So this game is dead for me. :)

So for fairness:
-Kintaro: huge CT in the beginning, fixed later because GB didn't sold well due to this, tried again, couldn't find anything good in that thing being a XL brawler with the scale of an heavy mech -> scrapped after gettings the basics for 1 variant

-Orion: small atlas with low-mounted weapons, but without Atlas' armor; huge CT, lasts like a Dragon on the battlefield in competitive -> scrapped

-Next month: Locust. LOL.

-November: Shadow Hawk.

To be fair I don't have anyting to do up to late November when they'll release the SH, hoping it won't share the fate of Kintaroes and Orions. If it will, then there's the Thunderbolt for Christmas. We're in September.

At least ok, the Quickdraw is big and all, but in the end is fairly much better than either of these two; it just needs some dimensional rescaling.

I really hoped to see a double mech release in these months, but non-phoenix buyers like me basically will have to stick with the usual chassis (that due to ELO hell, reduce themselves to a few variants). It's not looking good, the only positive content is that we might get our hands on some Clan tech for the half of the next year, if they keep it up we might get a clan starter pack for the end of the first quarter.

Edited by John MatriX82, 24 September 2013 - 04:03 AM.

#5229 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

Every mech is viable. No one will argue that the Kintaro was borked on delivery, but they've fixed it. If I am running my light and I come across a streaktaro, I turn the other way and fast.

Orion... Well, I have lots of fun in mine. If said it's a small Atlas, and thusly treated like one, you are going to have a bad time. It's not. Those who have figured it out have no issues with the Orion.

And who said that the Victor was DOA because it's just a small Highlander? I see those things holding their own as well. I certainly loved my Victor.

I think role warfare exists, it's us who have forgotten. Trying to shoe-horn the biggest and most powerful weapons into every slot or boating the FOTM weapon... Not everyone is guilty, but you have to consider......

#5230 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:51 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 24 September 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

It's not looking good, the only positive content is that we might get our hands on some Clan tech for the half of the next year, if they keep it up we might get a clan starter pack for the end of the first quarter.

My first MW game was MW2 but I wish the Clans were delayed for 2 more years. MWO is far from being balanced even without them. Introducing the Clans now will destroy the game.

#5231 Avimimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

Yup - so no unannounced Mechs...The thing I'm wondering about is the flea - will it come out in March or April?

#5232 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 24 September 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

So for fairness:
-Kintaro: huge CT in the beginning, fixed later because GB didn't sold well due to this, tried again, couldn't find anything good in that thing being a XL brawler with the scale of an heavy mech -> scrapped after gettings the basics for 1 variant

-Orion: small atlas with low-mounted weapons, but without Atlas' armor; huge CT, lasts like a Dragon on the battlefield in competitive -> scrapped

-Next month: Locust. LOL.

-November: Shadow Hawk.

To be fair I don't have anyting to do up to late November when they'll release the SH, hoping it won't share the fate of Kintaroes and Orions. If it will, then there's the Thunderbolt for Christmas. We're in September.

At least ok, the Quickdraw is big and all, but in the end is fairly much better than either of these two; it just needs some dimensional rescaling.

I really hoped to see a double mech release in these months, but non-phoenix buyers like me basically will have to stick with the usual chassis (that due to ELO hell, reduce themselves to a few variants). It's not looking good, the only positive content is that we might get our hands on some Clan tech for the half of the next year, if they keep it up we might get a clan starter pack for the end of the first quarter.

Look at the Art John. Thunderbolt and Battlemaster are gonna be like the Awesome. The only question is gonna be will they have a huge CT to go WITH the huge side torsos?

Add into it that EVERY single one of the Phoenix Mechs, save the Locust will have a "Hunch" issue, and I see ALL of the Phoenix Mechs as non starters in Comp. Some mechs just aren't XL viable, like the Atlas. These though will be more easily neutered in all likelihood. Though I do see one silver lining: Battlemaster probably will be less likely to bork the left arm Machine Guns for a larger ballistic and thus, totally scrap it's intended weapon roles. People will do it, but then when they get their hunch taken AND it takes their Gauss or UAC, I think it'll start convincing people to use the right arm for proper big guns.

will probably see them running in variations of this theme: BLR-1OMG!protectmytorsopeektart

Mounting 2 PPC high in the right should so they are still there when the LT missile racks draws fire and gets the LT blown off. LT LRMS and TAG high mount, to facilitate peek tarting, speed de-emphasized to reflect sit back and snipe use most people will engage in, rest of the hard points devoted to point defense.

AKA, boring

Battlemaster set-up I'd like to see viable:
BLR-1G

But between the Missile hunch, and probable likelihood of XLs = Death, never will.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 24 September 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#5233 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 September 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Look at the Art John. Thunderbolt and Battlemaster are gonna be like the Awesome. The only question is gonna be will they have a huge CT to go WITH the huge side torsos?

In fact their art is #1 factor that made me completely drop the idea of going phoenix, sum what I said in the first message you've quoted add scaling factors, how they dealt with 3PV and the community afterwards and oh well, no phoenix and since we won't be getting dual mech releases per month oh well.. boring is the only word that comes out from me now.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 September 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Add into it that EVERY single one of the Phoenix Mechs, save the Locust will have a "Hunch" issue, and I see ALL of the Phoenix Mechs as non starters in Comp.

I hope that.. that those missile pods will "pop out" only if you fill that hardpoint like the SRM pack in the Atlas. I hope of course xD

If so the BG and the TB could be a little bit safer, not much the TB but the BG could have been viable with a setup like this BLR-1G - Ah if they didn't destroyed the GR of course. Imho I'll still look forward the BG to be used as a stalker, with engines around 300-310 and STD.

SH and Griffin to an extent look not to be as bulky as the others (TB/BG/WV). Time will tell, but I'm glad they didn't made me spend a penny.

Edited by John MatriX82, 24 September 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#5234 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 24 September 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

In fact their art is #1 factor that made me completely drop the idea of going phoenix was their art, sum what I said in the first message you've quoted add scaling factors, how they dealt with 3PV and the community afterwards and oh well, no phoenix and since we won't be getting dual mech releases per month oh well.. boring is the only word that comes out from me now.

I hope that.. that those missile pods will "pop out" only if you fill that hardpoint like the SRM pack in the Atlas. I hope of course xD

If so the BG and the TB could be a little bit safer, not much the TB but the BG could have been viable with a setup like this BLR-1G - Ah if they didn't destroyed the GR of course. Imho I'll still look forward the BG to be used as a stalker, with engines around 300-310 and STD.

SH and Griffin to an extent look not to be as bulky as the others (TB/BG/WV). Time will tell, but I'm glad they didn't made me spend a penny.

Pretty much spot on, and a consideration.

Also, at various times, our Paprerdolls have glitched, and have shown the old madcat style, with seperate hitboxes for the shoulder launchers. IDK if it's too much to hope for, but it's about the only way I can think of to actually make these launchers viable.

So, the 2 versions I have so far, based off what we are predicting:
TDR-5S
or
TDR-5S

and for big brother
BLR-1G
or
BLR-1G
or
BLR-1G
etc

#5235 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 September 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

Also, at various times, our Paprerdolls have glitched, and have shown the old madcat style, with seperate hitboxes for the shoulder launchers. IDK if it's too much to hope for, but it's about the only way I can think of to actually make these launchers viable.

They spoke about this (without saying anything) right in the last ATD.. we'll see..

Edited by John MatriX82, 24 September 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#5236 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

Huh.So if I bought Overlord Phoenix and Saber packs I will have a LOT of c-bills after 6 months w/o any released c-bills mech.
And if they drop some kind of founder Clan pack...well I will have even more c-bills...

#5237 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

So, that "Boar's Head"... ;)
Posted Image

Is it just me, or does the loadout look like it's the AS7-D (Danielle)?

AS7-D Atlas Danielle - Piloted by Wolf's Dragoons Captain Danielle Rondema, this modified Atlas carried three medium lasers in each arm, trading away the SRM rack to do so. The additional heat was dissipated by two additional heat sinks that replaced the rear-firing medium lasers.

Edited by Strum Wealh, 24 September 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#5238 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

we can hope

#5239 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostJudgeDeathCZ, on 24 September 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Huh.So if I bought Overlord Phoenix and Saber packs I will have a LOT of c-bills after 6 months w/o any released c-bills mech.
And if they drop some kind of founder Clan pack...well I will have even more c-bills...

See it that way, you'll get them all at once, we'll live with usual monthly releases already knowing what will come and already knowing if it will be worth or not so cbill saving will be even steeper xD.

View PostStrum Wealh, on 24 September 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Is it just me, or does the loadout look like it's the AS7-D (Danielle)?

It is, 3xEnergy in each arm, 1 ballistic, 1 missile. The image is flipped btw ;)

#5240 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

cant wait for phoenix, but i guess i can elite/master some other mechs in the meanwhile

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users