ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

View Postjss78, on 10 August 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

I agree with the Bishop that a 'mech that offers something "new" at this point might be a tall order. I think lore/nostalgia/cool looks might be acceptable as reasons to make a 'mech -- in fact I'd posit 90+% of 'mechs are bought for these reasons anyway.

I can drop any Crusader loadout into my JM6-A -- indeed I've been theory-crafting my Crusaders on the JM6-A for months (harebrained examples: #1 #2). But then I take a look at the Jager (yech) and the unseen Crusader -- and yeah, I still want the Crusader. Posted Image

That said, I agree that Stinger/Wasp would really offer something genuinely new (as jumping 20-tonners), meta-unfriendly as the might be, and I want those too.

you may get the loadout, but do you get the hitboxes...or JJs?

View PostMetus regem, on 10 August 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

She's the 40t mech the Clans need.

Clans don't need no stinking 40 tonner!

#14322 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 10 August 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

I think the Charger would be much more interesting than the Thug..

I think the Charger is probably one of the most versatile of the remaining TRO:3025 Mechs thanks to its diverse variants. There is some variant for almost everybody's taste.
Of course it is always a matter of opinion what defines 'novelty', but I think the Charger qualifies.

View Postjss78, on 10 August 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

That said, I agree that Stinger/Wasp would really offer something genuinely new (as jumping 20-tonners), meta-unfriendly as the might be, and I want those too.

Even though not as fast the Locust, they would be still very small and jumpy. And with a 1.4x engine cap they are certainly not slow... (just shy of 140kph iirc). I can see them work quite well. Some variants like the WSP-1W would not even need hardpoint inflation...

A Wasp and Stinger double-pack would definitely be welcome. However even I would hesitate to pay $20 for one 20 ton Mech...

#14323 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

Well continuing the trend...

NIGHTSTAR NAO (I'm posting on my phone.)

But I would buy the Charger, Assassin or Javelin, etc.

#14324 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 August 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

The Thug is simply my favorite Assault. So I decided I should stomp about imperiously, demanding it! Posted Image

Posted Image

#14325 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:47 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 09 August 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

Kind of....

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Lupus

"The primary configuration of the Lupus replaces the Archer and Bombardier 'Mechs. A pair of LRM-20 launchers with improved Artemis IV guidance systems allows the warrior to destroy a foe before they can reach close range."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14326 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:56 PM

Fafnir

#14327 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:58 AM

View PostImperius, on 10 August 2016 - 06:56 PM, said:

Fafnir

Who the hell are you and what did you do to Imperius?!

#14328 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:01 AM

View PostOdanan, on 10 August 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

If you want that way...

WASP NAO!

And then the Charger, the Assassin, the Longbow, the Valkyrie...

(for the Clans, Fire Moth or burst)

HUNTSMAN NAO!

Wait... Oh. Nevermind. >_>

Honestly, though, concern over mechs doing the same thing in a different body, especially when it comes to the IS, does not seem like an issue to me. I have a reason for this, though. Really. And it isn't just disinterest towards IS mechs.

Community Warfare Immersion.

With all the various factions in this universe, some have far easier access to specific types of mechs, whereas others are almost impossible to get ahold of due to production areas, faction contracts, etc. For example, so what if we get the Cataphract and the Cesar? Some factions couldn't get their hands on the Cataphract, but the Cesar allows them a similar mech under a different factional loyalty. How about the Charger, Thug, and Hatamoto? Get enough mech variety that provides factional analogues of the same mechs, and you can restrict mech selection options in CW to those your faction would actually have access to.

Can you imagine how much more immersive it would be? Hell, some factions might be slightly better at scouting, some better at slugfests, others better at long range encounters... it would break up the everyone is truly equal thing going on that makes all the fights feel the same. Even with the Clans, there were differences in mech choices taken. An Ice Hellion group would focus on speed and maneuverability, whereas a Jaguar line would generally be less mobile but much more firepower oriented.

And not just chassis. Variants! Certain variants were more popular in certain factions, even with a shared chassis. Can you imagine if that meant something? One group might get the metamech of one chassis, while another would get the metamech of another chassis.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 11 August 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#14329 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 10 August 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

KINGFISHER NAO!

I woould go for the Thug, I remember the FRR uses it. But darn, the looks from MW4... The reverse legs/ joints makes its overall profile so out of place. It just looks weird. Hefty firepower though Posted Image

Well ok, the original picture makes it actually look better than the ingame MW4 mercs version

Posted Image

#14330 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:02 AM

View PostTordin, on 11 August 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

I woould go for the Thug, I remember the FRR uses it. But darn, the looks from MW4... The reverse legs/ joints makes its overall profile so out of place. It just looks weird. Hefty firepower though Posted Image

Well ok, the original picture makes it actually look better than the ingame MW4 mercs version

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14331 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:07 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 11 August 2016 - 08:02 AM, said:

Posted Image

Head stomp... that's one way to kill a Clanner.... looks like a Hell's Horses too. Good one less warm pony to deal with.

#14332 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:07 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 11 August 2016 - 07:01 AM, said:

HUNTSMAN NAO!

Jerk...

#14333 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:40 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 11 August 2016 - 08:07 AM, said:

Head stomp... that's one way to kill a Clanner.... looks like a Hell's Horses too. Good one less warm pony to deal with.

Actually, that emblem on the left side torso looks like Wolfs Dragoons Posted Image

#14334 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:45 AM

View PostTordin, on 11 August 2016 - 10:40 AM, said:

Actually, that emblem on the left side torso looks like Wolfs Dragoons Posted Image

huh, you're right... strange that they'd be operating a Hellbringer so openly like that... As I'm guessing that this image is meant to be pre-3050... never mind the Timber Wolf in the background....

#14335 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 11 August 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

huh, you're right... strange that they'd be operating a Hellbringer so openly like that... As I'm guessing that this image is meant to be pre-3050... never mind the Timber Wolf in the background....

It is from the Battle of Outreach, 3067; the opening volley of the Jihad if you will, or just before that. The Thug belongs to Colonel Kari Marita, ex-ComStar, who build a merc outfit of disgruntled ComGuards after VSD had become Precentor Martial. Her Broadsword Legion pretended to be on the Dragoons side at first, but then turned on the Dragoons effectively winning the battle for the Word.

http://www.sarna.net...oadsword_Legion

#14336 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:38 PM

Nice Costumer Appreciation rewards this year! (scratching 3 missing IS variants from my signature)

#14337 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

Posted Image

View PostFLG 01, on 11 August 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

It is from the Battle of Outreach, 3067; the opening volley of the Jihad if you will, or just before that. The Thug belongs to Colonel Kari Marita, ex-ComStar, who build a merc outfit of disgruntled ComGuards after VSD had become Precentor Martial. Her Broadsword Legion pretended to be on the Dragoons side at first, but then turned on the Dragoons effectively winning the battle for the Word.

So traitorous merc scum.

Edited by Ace Selin, 12 August 2016 - 08:26 PM.

#14338 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:18 PM

View PostOdanan, on 12 August 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

Nice Costumer Appreciation rewards this year! (scratching 3 missing IS variants from my signature)

I miss out on the Cataphract & the Stalker because I bought the Mauler pack & the Marauder pack too early.

#14339 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:03 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 15 August 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

I miss out on the Cataphract & the Stalker because I bought the Mauler pack & the Marauder pack too early.

I'd give you mine if I could...

#14340 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:12 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 11 August 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

the battle is also described in a short story in one of the anthologies. the timberwolf in the back is Stacy Churchs Mech before she got a Zeus-X - those are the Wolf-Spiders

And Precentor Marita was never a true merc - so calling her a "traitorous merc" does not touch or insult her in any way.

The battle between Dragoons and WoB was obvious in nature, because both using their influence in the chaos march

Edited by Karl Streiger, 16 August 2016 - 01:13 AM.

86 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 86 guests, 0 anonymous users