#16661 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 20 June 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

Well, the PHawk IIC is basically a Clan Charger.

Yeah but it looks thinner or at least not boxy. Potential for better hitboxes that way.

#16662 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 20 June 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

Yeah but it looks thinner or at least not boxy. Potential for better hitboxes that way.

Not really. Skinnier means bigger, thanks to Volumetric scaling, so the Charger would actually come out on top.

#16663 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:13 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 20 June 2017 - 08:48 PM, said:

Not really. Skinnier means bigger, thanks to Volumetric scaling, so the Charger would actually come out on top.

Maybe. Skinny & tall isn't a bad thing, the GHopper is a good mech for example. Short & blocky could mean easily focused STs.

#16664 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:04 AM

PGI still needs to add some more mechs of specific weights, as there isn't a lot of mechs available in them. Eg, no Clan 20 tonners.

Weights that need more mechs.
IS 20 tons = only 1 mech
IS 25 tons = only 1 mech
Clan 20 tons = zero mechs
Clan 25 tons = only 1 mech
Clan 55 tons = only 1 mech
Clan 60 tons = only 1 mech
Clan 80 tons = only 1 mech
Clan 95 tons = only 1 mech

Clan 40 tons only has 1 mech atm, but the Arctic Wolf has been confirmed for Civil War Escalation, so that'll give Clans a second 40 tonner.

My opinion for best option for each case:
IS 20 tons - Stinger/Wasp, because they have humanoid profile versus the chicken-walker Locust and are 'classic' mechs.
IS 25 tons - Raptor; it's about time PGI adds IS Omnimechs
Clan 20 tons - Fire Moth without MASC. It is the best option available, all the others have significant negatives.
Clan 25 tons - Locust IIC or Fire Falcon
Clan 55 tons - Black Lanner
Clan 60 tons - Glass Spider / Galahad; sadly, not a lot of good options here
Clan 80 tons - Warhammer IIC or Phoenix Hawk IIC
Clan 95 tons - Turkina; all the other options are outside timeline

Edited by Zergling, 21 June 2017 - 12:05 AM.

#16665 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:51 AM

View PostZergling, on 21 June 2017 - 12:04 AM, said:

PGI still needs to add some more mechs of specific weights, as there isn't a lot of mechs available in them. Eg, no Clan 20 tonners.

IS 20 tons = only 1 mech
IS 25 tons = only 1 mech

Clan 40 tons only has 1 mech atm, but the Arctic Wolf has been confirmed for Civil War Escalation, so that'll give Clans a second 40 tonner.

IS 20 tons - Stinger/Wasp, because they have humanoid profile versus the chicken-walker Locust and are 'classic' mechs.
Clan 20 tons - Fire Moth without MASC. It is the best option available, all the others have significant negatives.

For IS 25 tonner how about the Nexus or Mongoose? Or what would you pick if not an omni?

#16666 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:57 AM

IS 20 tons = only 1 mech
IS 25 tons = only 1 mech

what timeline?

#16667 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:00 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 21 June 2017 - 12:51 AM, said:

For IS 25 tonner how about the Nexus or Mongoose? Or what would you pick if not an omni?

I suspect the Nexus and Mongoose would only be added if PGI wants to make Comstar and/or World of Blake a faction.
While they aren't bad mechs, they really don't add anything either.

There's also the Jackrabbit, but without some ridiculously strong quirks, a 25 ton ballistic mech just isn't going to work.

The Raptor I think would be good, because it has excellent hardpoints; lots of energy plus options for missiles and jumpjets.

View PostImperius, on 21 June 2017 - 12:57 AM, said:

what timeline?

Civil War brings the timeline up to 3067. It will likely be another year or two before PGI moves it further forward.
I'd rather have the Cygnus or Hellstar over the Turkina, but their introduction dates are 3075 and 3079.

Also, I realised I forgot a candidate for 80 ton Clan; the Canis. I think the others would be more likely, but it is still a possibility too.

Edited by Zergling, 21 June 2017 - 02:01 AM.

#16668 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:05 AM

View PostZergling, on 21 June 2017 - 02:00 AM, said:

Also, I realised I forgot a candidate for 80 ton Clan; the Canis. I think the others would be more likely, but it is still a possibility too.

Yep Canis (do people know that it exists?) I did fell in love with the design as soon as i saw it in the TRO3060.
and Legacy would be a good combination in a pack - oh and don't forget the Daikyu

so my post can be summarized with - more double UACs

#16669 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:26 AM

Yep, and those are the mechs I considered in my short list. ;)
(the Fire Falcon is definitely my 3rd pick for Clan light)

#16670 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:32 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 21 June 2017 - 12:51 AM, said:

Mongoose has the bonus of looking very weird and being in MW2:M. The drawback is: it's variants are homogeneous (mostly energy boats) and it doesn't have jump jets (to differentiate it from the Commando).

Nexus is a C3 platform.

View PostKarl Streiger, on 21 June 2017 - 04:05 AM, said:

Yep Canis (do people know that it exists?)

#16671 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:37 AM

View PostOdanan, on 21 June 2017 - 04:32 AM, said:

Mongoose has the bonus of looking very weird and being in MW2:M. The drawback is: it's variants are homogeneous (mostly energy boats) and it doesn't have jump jets (to differentiate it from the Commando).

Nexus is a C3 platform.

Right but replacing C3 isn't a major issue. As I mentioned earlier, it's been done before. Replace it with DHS, JJ or armor and it's fine.

#16672 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:43 AM

I suspect the Nexus and Mongoose would only be added if PGI wants to make Comstar and/or World of Blake a faction.
While they aren't bad mechs, they really don't add anything either.

There's also the Jackrabbit, but without some ridiculously strong quirks, a 25 ton ballistic mech just isn't going to work.

The Raptor I think would be good, because it has excellent hardpoints; lots of energy plus options for missiles and jumpjets.

Civil War brings the timeline up to 3067. It will likely be another year or two before PGI moves it further forward.
I'd rather have the Cygnus or Hellstar over the Turkina, but their introduction dates are 3075 and 3079.

The Jackrabbit is one of the worst possible choices honestly, worse than the Hollander. At 25t it'll never be able to effectively use the missile & ballistic hp's and it's also slow due to it's stock loadout.

The Nexus brings a quality JJ equipped 25 tonner. The Raptor is a good choice as well though.

The Canis looks interesting, only major weakness is it's lack of speed but I don't think that's as big a deal now nor is it insurmountable.

Edited by TheArisen, 21 June 2017 - 02:10 PM.

#16673 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:15 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 21 June 2017 - 04:43 AM, said:

The Jackrabbit is one of the worst possible choices honestly, worse than the Hollander. At 25t it'll never be able to effectively use the missile & energy hp's and it's also slow due to it's stock loadout.

175 instead of 150 engine and a Rotary 2 could give the Jackrabbit some tooth - or with enough Rocketlaunchers you could run it with a LAC5 and a sting

#16674 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:22 AM

Idk, looking at the Turkina. If some things changed in the game (JJ's being more useful ect.) The Turkey could be a mean mech, flat stout design would be low silhouette,weapons are very close to a single horizontal axis. She wouldn't need much to poke a hill, aND she has plenty of tonnage and hardpoints to work with. (Think only slightly short of crit space is all, well and slow..) But would be a good opposite to the Executioner. Gunboat isn't bad if used right.

#16675 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:58 AM

View PostCK16, on 21 June 2017 - 05:22 AM, said:

Idk, looking at the Turkina. If some things changed in the game (JJ's being more useful ect.) The Turkey could be a mean mech, flat stout design would be low silhouette,weapons are very close to a single horizontal axis. She wouldn't need much to poke a hill, aND she has plenty of tonnage and hardpoints to work with. (Think only slightly short of crit space is all, well and slow..) But would be a good opposite to the Executioner. Gunboat isn't bad if used right.

Of all the mechs remaining, the one I look forward the most to see Alex Iglesias' rendition is the Turkina (Black Lanner in second). But yeah, it's slow as heck (48.6 km/h, just like the Dire Wolf).

At least it was popular in MW:LL. Considering the lack of Clan assault options, I guess the Turkina might show up someday.

#16676 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:27 AM

Regarding 25t Mechs...

Beside the Mongoose, I would like to see the Brigand. It does have some disadvantages like the relatively low hardpoints (although this is not as much of a problem for a 25t Mech as it is for a heavy), but geometry, weaponry and engine cap (210) plus JJ seem solid.

Also I like the lore. And that is important to me... Posted Image

The Mongoose was common in the ranks of the KungsArmé as well as mercs, common enough to be included in their RATs (see FM:U or ER:3062 e.g.).
Even if that weren't the case... the next two IS Mechs, Uziel and Annihilator, were not used by any faction we have in game on a larger scale (i.e. not common enough for RATs), so canon faction availability cannot be much of an issue.

And the Mongoose would be a good Mech. I mean MASC and ECM on a light Mech, that's a dream. But they'd probably reduce the engine cap since a Mongoose with a 280 engine and MASC would be much faster than anything we currently have in game.
I also don't mind that it is mostly an energy boat, tha's what works best on lights and with the new tech... However, the lack of JJ is indeed a bit of a downside.

#16677 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:30 AM

View PostOdanan, on 21 June 2017 - 04:32 AM, said:

Yeah, the Mongoose has a weird profile; chicken-walker legs, but the torso is like that of a humanoid.
But yeah, its variants just being energy boats makes it kinda meh. The mech looks unique, but that is honestly all it has going for it.

The Jackrabbit is one of the worst possible choices honestly, worse than the Hollander. At 25t it'll never be able to effectively use the missile & energy hp's and it's also slow due to it's stock loadout.

Yup, it's be 'unique', but it'd be uniquely crappy unless it got some ridiculously strong quirks. I can't see it being added as a result.

The Nexus brings a quality JJ equipped 25 tonner.

Yeah, jumpjets make the Nexus somewhat acceptable, given the Commando doesn't have JJs.

It also has one very high mounted shoulder hardpoint, which somewhat makes up for all its variants being energy boats.

The Canis looks interesting, only major weakness is it's lack of speed but I don't think that's as big a deal now nor is it insurmountable.

It has jumpjets though, and being a slower mech to the Gargoyle's high mobility is probably a good thing (and why I'm starting to think the Phoenix Hawk IIC probably shouldn't be added yet).

#16678 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:02 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 20 June 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

Maybe. Skinny & tall isn't a bad thing, the GHopper is a good mech for example. Short & blocky could mean easily focused STs.

The Grasshopper only gets by on high mounts and quirks. Without them, it would be no better off than the Black Knight. Short and blocky also means smaller at range, which is better for poking.

#16679 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

In the 20 ton bracket I'm pro-Wasp all the way. On the 25ton bracket there's a bit more to be said, but the Mongoose would still be my first pick.

Personally, I would love to see the Mongoose in game; and I think it would be a great addition. Besides being a heavy energy platform, which is a good choice for lights, the variants have enough differentiation to actually provide for reasonably varied hardpoints. Also, the digitigrade leg profile on the humanoid torso is something very rare that wasn't anywhere else in the game until PGI altered the plantigrade (human) leg profile of the assassin into this type, which still makes it rare and worth adding more of.

The Jackrabbit could be in the game, but I see it as either a Nexus variant, or the Nexus hero. They'd also probably have to take some liberties with it, like making the Nexus hero the "Joker" variant of the Jackrabbit instead of the primary configuration. They could also maybe base it off of the 9W wobbie model which mixes ballistic and energy for some more survivability and endurance . . . but then you just have a Commando 1C given our tech limitations. Really, though, I see it coming down to what they did with the Mauler and using the MX90 Daboku as a Mauler variant.

I wouldn't be upset about the Raptor as a solid light omnimech for IS introduction. It at least has good omnipod potential, but by the time you max the armor it's not going to have as much pod space left for weaponry. In addition, at the slower speed for a 25 ton mech it would have to have solid quirks to help it out.

#16680 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

View PostZergling, on 21 June 2017 - 06:30 AM, said:

Yeah, the Mongoose has a weird profile; chicken-walker legs, but the torso is like that of a humanoid.
But yeah, its variants just being energy boats makes it kinda meh. The mech looks unique, but that is honestly all it has going for it.

Yup, it's be 'unique', but it'd be uniquely crappy unless it got some ridiculously strong quirks. I can't see it being added as a result.

Yeah, jumpjets make the Nexus somewhat acceptable, given the Commando doesn't have JJs.

It also has one very high mounted shoulder hardpoint, which somewhat makes up for all its variants being energy boats.

It has jumpjets though, and being a slower mech to the Gargoyle's high mobility is probably a good thing (and why I'm starting to think the Phoenix Hawk IIC probably shouldn't be added yet).

Also the Nexus looks like one of the mechs from Evangelion
Posted Image

This picture also shows that most of it's weapons are high mounts.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users