The State Of The Summoner (Hey Pgi Devs, This Post Is For You Guys, Just Fyi)

BattleMechs Balance Loadout

1236 replies to this topic

#1021 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,757 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 20 March 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

Yeah, MW4 did get damage very, very wrong...pulse lasers were an utter joke there....like 0.67dmg per shot and ****....lolwut?

There is a very big difference between Vengeance and Mercs when it comes to pulse lasers, just fyi.

In vengeance, all lasers had the same DPS per ton as the rest in their tech base. So ERLL, ERLPL, ERMPL, ERML, ERSPL, and the ERSL all had the same DPS per ton (something like 0.4 DPS per ton).

In mercs, they learned why that was a bad idea and increased the DPS on the pulse weapons to compensate for the difference between continuous fire and burst/alpha type weapons. They just didn't increase it to be quite enough, but they at least tried to make the weapons compete for different roles which is nice given the lack of really different energy weapons.

#1022 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:01 PM

Here's my suggestion to Bishop Steiner.

Write a page-thread review about the previous quirks and the post quirks... compare and explain why or why not said changes are good/bad/terribad in a concise format. Then suggest improvements to the quirks (be creative if possible).

I'm behind on my Gargoyle post (sorry, been doing stuff and CW for the event), but I'll present it really soon.

#1023 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 21 March 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

Here's my suggestion to Bishop Steiner.

Write a page-thread review about the previous quirks and the post quirks... compare and explain why or why not said changes are good/bad/terribad in a concise format. Then suggest improvements to the quirks (be creative if possible).

I'm behind on my Gargoyle post (sorry, been doing stuff and CW for the event), but I'll present it really soon.

I got a better plan.

Accept Russ wants it to suck, drink more, stop caring.

#1024 BARBAR0SSA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

Didn't Mike Frost say he was in charge of the clan quirks?

#1025 Anakha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 172 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:03 AM

Yes and he's been actually posting in the quirks thread which is pretty nice. But PGI still needs to devote some dev time to addressing the other factors effecting the Summoner. Namely letting us remove some JJ's considering the current state of JJ's in this game and also allowing it to upgrade to ES or swap FF for ES. This would help the Summoner dramatically.

#1026 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

View PostAnakha, on 26 March 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

Yes and he's been actually posting in the quirks thread which is pretty nice. But PGI still needs to devote some dev time to addressing the other factors effecting the Summoner. Namely letting us remove some JJ's considering the current state of JJ's in this game and also allowing it to upgrade to ES or swap FF for ES. This would help the Summoner dramatically.

can't support this. Summoner without JJs is not a Summoner. Mechs need to be fixed to be viable for what they are and are suppsoed to be, not stipped laservomit metashadows recognizable by canon Names only.

#1027 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:50 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 20 March 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

There is a very big difference between Vengeance and Mercs when it comes to pulse lasers, just fyi.

In vengeance, all lasers had the same DPS per ton as the rest in their tech base. So ERLL, ERLPL, ERMPL, ERML, ERSPL, and the ERSL all had the same DPS per ton (something like 0.4 DPS per ton).

In mercs, they learned why that was a bad idea and increased the DPS on the pulse weapons to compensate for the difference between continuous fire and burst/alpha type weapons. They just didn't increase it to be quite enough, but they at least tried to make the weapons compete for different roles which is nice given the lack of really different energy weapons.

I still never, ever, ever, took pulse weapons in MW4 any variant. It was ML's LLs, PPCs, SSRMs, LRMs and ACs of 10 or higher....or 5s in bunches....only possible cuz I played with ammo off.

It was funny to watch pulse laser mechs fire though, its like CERPPCs in this game, so much effort, so little result.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 March 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

can't support this. Summoner without JJs is not a Summoner. Mechs need to be fixed to be viable for what they are and are suppsoed to be, not stipped laservomit metashadows recognizable by canon Names only.

You mean you dont want a Summoner with 11 MPL slots and DHS to support it?

View Postshad0w4life, on 21 March 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

Didn't Mike Frost say he was in charge of the clan quirks?

And does he have a better clue then the other people who did the IS quirks? Or is Frost the quirk guy?

#1028 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:19 PM

Posted Image

better...but not quite where I was hoping. Still,will be interesting to see how it fares.

#1029 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,757 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:24 PM

The machine gun quirks are still lol. Since you can mount at best 3 MGs, it is going to take more than 5% better ROF to make them actually viable. The MG range quirks are also still making me scratch my head.

#1030 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:57 PM

Meh. It's slightly more mobile, and the LBX/ERPPC arms are sorta nice, but the rest...blahhh.

I'm not sure I'll even have to revise any builds in my thread about the Summoner.

(shameless plug: http://mwomercs.com/...theorycrafting/)

I'll think about it though, just for the sake of playing along with the devs *trying* to get people to like the 'stock' builds somehow.

#1031 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 06 April 2015 - 04:57 PM, said:

Meh. It's slightly more mobile, and the LBX/ERPPC arms are sorta nice, but the rest...blahhh.

I'm not sure I'll even have to revise any builds in my thread about the Summoner.

(shameless plug: http://mwomercs.com/...theorycrafting/)

I'll think about it though, just for the sake of playing along with the devs *trying* to get people to like the 'stock' builds somehow.

Stock(ish) Summoner Prime is best, most fun, Summoner Prime.

Trew Story.

#1032 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:19 PM

Slightly better. I just wish they gave all of the arms some armor+structure instead of specific ones. I'm going to miss my +30% AMS range too, it was a unique little quirk. Otherwise this is another step in the right direction.

#1033 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:40 PM

Still wish it would receive a little JJ bonus but I am happy the legs are getting some love.

#1034 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:50 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 06 April 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

The machine gun quirks are still lol. Since you can mount at best 3 MGs, it is going to take more than 5% better ROF to make them actually viable. The MG range quirks are also still making me scratch my head.

Essentially, you'd need a 10% ROF to make just 1 MG shoot 1 more bullet over 1 second... due to how MGs operate (.1s = 1 bullet).

So... lol what.

#1035 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 April 2015 - 04:19 PM, said:

Posted Image

better...but not quite where I was hoping. Still,will be interesting to see how it fares.

Is that LBX spread quirk even noticeable? Since they took the SMN Prime off trial I cant play with it. Kinda wish the SMN, SMR? got a 10-12.5% ERPPC speed boost in the prime though....its only 1.

#1036 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:18 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 06 April 2015 - 06:11 PM, said:

Is that LBX spread quirk even noticeable? Since they took the SMN Prime off trial I cant play with it. Kinda wish the SMN, SMR? got a 10-12.5% ERPPC speed boost in the prime though....its only 1.

I got about 25 meters range out of my orion with the lbx spread reduction. Still shorter effective range than SHORT range missiles.

#1037 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:22 PM

I don't think the Clan mechs can be balanced without change-able Internal Structure and Armor types. The fixed engines is enough for them to retain their lore characteristics. With PGI bending the stats on all the Clan weapons to balance them with Inner Sphere it should be okay and is almost mandatory to make all the mechs compete in a balanced way. You want a level playing field for all the mechs.

#1038 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:41 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 06 April 2015 - 07:22 PM, said:

I don't think the Clan mechs can be balanced without change-able Internal Structure and Armor types. The fixed engines is enough for them to retain their lore characteristics. With PGI bending the stats on all the Clan weapons to balance them with Inner Sphere it should be okay and is almost mandatory to make all the mechs compete in a balanced way. You want a level playing field for all the mechs.

The Nova just got 2.5 tons of Armour(well, structure, with optional armour), the same it would get from Endo(without being any more durable)

It's a step in the right direction.

#1039 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:51 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 21 December 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

Unlocking ES/FF on all clan chassis but *not* seriously quirking them allows them flexibility without the extreme strength in a particular area.

Bad idea. It isn't even supposed to be much of an option for regular mechs, why free it up on the Omnimechs?

The issue is PGI's lack of realizing something very simple from the BT universe. All Battlemechs feature what the Omnimechs call Fixed Equipment.

Fixed Equipment being defined as anything that would take longer than 1 day to change, i.e. armor values, 'fixed' weapons, fixed equipment, etc.

That Flamer in the Adder's head? "Fixed." Meaning that like the Firestarter, it'd take technicians about 3 weeks to a month and a half to change it out. This happens to be the case with every Firestarter! "Fixed Equipment."

Structure? Virtually impossible to change unless you're wealthy enough to schedule an appointment and a few months of work at a factory to disassemble and reassemble your mech on a new skeleton made of endo steel, complete with modifications to adapt your mech's design for the fact that your mech just grew in size!

Armor? Not that difficult but certainly a pain. Clans don't change it because "Why?" IS doesn't change it because "I'm broke." But the typical way to get a little extra weight is to add Ferro. That's the way it's supposed to be.

The problem isn't that endo/ferro is locked. It's that Endo is NOT locked when it should be for the Inner Sphere.

#1040 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:02 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 06 April 2015 - 06:11 PM, said:

since the quirks dont happen til tomorrow, IDK..but the CN9D got a similar boost, and yeah, i notice it.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users