210 replies to this topic

#161 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 28 January 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

So how would the game judge the accuracy of a players vote? Someone downvotes you, how will the game know that this is an accurate representation of your participation in the game? What if a whole team down voted you just because there is one player in their unit that really dislikes you? How does the game distinguish that all of those votes are false?

If you are going to consider a feature you have to look at the pro's AND the potential con's.... ....any kind of vote system is open to abuse and not all abuse would be easily identifiable unless a player had a history of suspicious voting..

Look at the forums - it would be easy enough to pad player profile ratings up or down. So whats to say the same would not apply for in game ratings.

You call it a flimsy argument, I call it a logical assessment of the potential flaws of such a system.

Because you don't leave player behavior moderation to machines and algorithms. Again, look at League's system which works.

#162 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:56 PM

View PostKaspirikay, on 21 December 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

So, I'm sure we've seen abusive language being thrown about a lot and random TKers as well.

I think its time we had an in-game/after game rating system like that of LoL and other games like that. Those with bad enough ratings would get muted for a number of games.

Or those that has been reported as TKers would be locked out for x number of games.

On the flip side, those with good ratings would be seen as desirable players to play with. Maybe even give a paintjob or something if the rating stays up for a period of time.

Thoughts?

Extra credits did something about this.

The idea was that you get points racked up against you if people report you enough, and once a certain threshold is met, you start a game with text and voip muted. If anyone wants to hear/read your bile, they have to un-mute you.

#163 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:12 PM

View Post0111101, on 28 January 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

Because you don't leave player behavior moderation to machines and algorithms. Again, look at League's system which works.

Yes and you cannot leave it to humans either. You seem to be missing the point on how such a system could be abused by players.

And just because it 'works' in LoL does not necessarily mean that it would work in MWO.

#164 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:17 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 28 January 2015 - 09:12 PM, said:

Yes and you cannot leave it to humans either. You seem to be missing the point on how such a system could be abused by players.

And just because it 'works' in LoL does not necessarily mean that it would work in MWO.

I won't be able to dissuade you from that perspective and that's ok. I feel certain that there is a feasible system and you may not agree but we won't know until it happens, if it happens at all.

Edited by 0111101, 28 January 2015 - 09:18 PM.

#165 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 28 January 2015 - 09:12 PM, said:

True, but the question becomes if is worth trying. With Steam distribution coming sometime in next 12 months (by the looks of things), managing the community will likely be more difficult. PGI should be considering what kind of tools will make that task easier.

#166 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

View Post0111101, on 28 January 2015 - 09:17 PM, said:

...but we won't know until it happens, if it happens at all.

That we can agree on ;)

#167 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:54 PM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 28 January 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

The hypocrisy in this post is unreal.

Thank you for calling me a liar exactly like I knew you would. Now everyone will know not to pay you any attention.

Toxic is as toxic does.

#168 Carcass23

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

Thought I would chime in and say that the penalties for TK'ing should be worse. Especially the more you do it in a short amount of time. Yeah, we have all done it at some point or another. Someone walks into your line of fire and blammo. Gone. Whoops. We already get a penalty of cbills for that boo boo. TK'ers are another story though. If you've gotten 6 TK's in the last hour, maybe that should be a red flag somewhere? So why not increase the harshness of those boo boo's exponentially, based off of how often you are TK'ing? Sounds reasonable to me?

As far as poisonous atmospheres go, *coughs* report the ones that are being abusive and let the company handle it. They'll take notice if someone has multiple reports and its their game so they can moderate it as they see fit. That said, we actually can be the better game. We can be the community that doesn't tolerate toxicity. That's right, no "System of a Down" Nerf them.

While I am a firm believer that 40 year olds are really no more mature than teenagers, in general. I do think they are world wise and most of us realize that we are the ones who make this community friendly, or unfriendly. There are all sorts on a public forum, but many names stick out "Road tested even" You may not like their opinions, or their style of explaining their opinion, but overall.. the main players on this forum seem to be generally courteous to each other and to new players. That's all anyone is really asking, I think. As Rufus says, "Be excellent to each other." Set the example and if most are nominally like minded, the trolls are less likely to garner attention, which is all they crave.

Then kill your enemy mercilessly with your mech's weapons. Shoot the corpse to ensure it's dead.

#169 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:34 PM

View PostCarcass23, on 28 January 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

While I am a firm believer that 40 year olds are really no more mature than teenagers, in general.

I believe the expression was, "The amazing thing about young fools is how many survive to become old fools."

#170 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:36 PM

View PostEscef, on 28 January 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

I believe the expression was, "The amazing thing about young fools is how many survive to become old fools."

Posted Image

#171 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:48 AM

I like the gerneal idea, but a simple voting mechanic WILL BE abused.

Furthermore PGI has lots of other work to do - they would need to hire people to take care of all those votes if they don't want to lose development time.

#172 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:52 AM

I'm doing my part. One Alpha Strike at a time. ^_^

#173 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:00 AM

an easier (and to be honest, maybe better) solution would be for the chat client to just have a squelch/ignore function

this kind of thing is why I'm still leery of voicechat

also, PGI does ban people if their conduct is bad or repeated enough. I follow another forum that has a fair number of folks who play, and we've had a couple over the course of time who have complained that PGI banned them for conduct (good riddance imo.)

still, for all their talk about 'toxic' players, companies like money an awful lot. In MWO as in most games you have to be pretty awful for a pretty extended period of time for anything to actually happen to you

#174 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:02 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 21 December 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

Yes, all the trolls and kiddies will surely download an infamous F2P title related to a franchise three times as old as they.

Let me tell you about MWO's population.

There's old men. We're talking 40+ year olds. They're army veterans. The Joseph Mallans. 10,000 dollars in minis, 30 years of battletech books. You ask them to quote a page in a TRO, and they'll do it.
Then there's the 4channers, like me. We've spent over a decade playing with the worst the internet has to offer.
You also have goons. A lot of goons. All the goons, essentially.
And then there's the competitive, hardcore russians and tryhards, formed up into elite units. I imagine they look a bit like this guy, and have the exact same philosophy.

The cherry on top is the golds. Old men and women who've spent hundreds of dollars buying digital robots. They were doing this years before starcitizen was even a fever dream.

So tell me why you fear that trolls and kids would invade this game.

In fact, I'm willing to bet money on the fact that any steam kids and trolls who come here to farm cheap laughs will instead find themselves hunted for sport, and discarded as their sanity leaves them.

Thanks for teh kind words Vass. I knew you liked me! B)

Is the bold supposed to be a bad thing? The players in question are coming into Our house to Farm it for laughs, only to find out its not so easy to do. Is that really a bad thing?

#175 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:07 AM

View PostCarcass23, on 28 January 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

While I am a firm believer that 40 year olds are really no more mature than teenagers, in general. I do think they are world wise and most of us realize that we are the ones who make this community friendly, or unfriendly. There are all sorts on a public forum, but many names stick out "Road tested even" You may not like their opinions, or their style of explaining their opinion, but overall.. the main players on this forum seem to be generally courteous to each other and to new players. That's all anyone is really asking, I think. As Rufus says, "Be excellent to each other." Set the example and if most are nominally like minded, the trolls are less likely to garner attention, which is all they crave.

Then kill your enemy mercilessly with your mech's weapons. Shoot the corpse to ensure it's dead.
We are older than the Younger players, But as to Maturity... We still play games with Giant Stompy Robots. How Mature is that? ^_^

Rule #2 ALWAYS double Tap!
Posted Image

#176 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:08 AM

one of the saddest parts of getting older has been learning that 'child' and 'troll' are not synonyms

the trolls are already in this game man. See: this forum

#177 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:10 AM

View PostKaspirikay, on 21 December 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

So, I'm sure we've seen abusive language being thrown about a lot and random TKers as well.

I think its time we had an in-game/after game rating system like that of LoL and other games like that. Those with bad enough ratings would get muted for a number of games.

Or those that has been reported as TKers would be locked out for x number of games.

On the flip side, those with good ratings would be seen as desirable players to play with. Maybe even give a paintjob or something if the rating stays up for a period of time.

Thoughts?

LoL is the best example for a community that does not work at all and what has to be circumvented by all costs.

Player executed penalisation systems are nothing but invitations for bullying and abuse.

Keep it rational yourself, take a pic and mail it to support.

#178 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:33 AM

A vote system is useful to highlight players for staff to spy on for a bit and then react to any issues they witness while watching or reviewing logs.

But shouldnt result in auto bans.
Use it to prioritize who staff monitor only.

In the case of text and voice chat you should be able to permanently block anyone who offends/annoys you from your own computer.
That solves a lot of problems. People who want to dominate others by having them globally censored are half the problem.

#179 occusoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 452 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:31 AM

View PostEscef, on 28 January 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

PGI has never treated me badly. And I've sunk more money into it than some of the prominent crybabies.

They never lied to you about 3rd person?
They havent broken various elements of the game like hitreg again and again?
They never sold pretty mechs and fuglied them?

The non-truthtelling alone is what I call "treating some bad", but I guess we have quite a different view on that.

View PostEscef, on 28 January 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

As for how you think the world works, that's more a reflection of your own attitude.

Its just what I see happening around me.
For example, theres a good deal of companies that treat their worforce worse than animals but people have to accept it for the great benefit of not going totally broke and loose it all. People value their homes and accept the bad treatment.
I happen to have the great luck to be my own boss and dont have to care about this madness. I wouldnt ever treat other human beeings that way so please elaborate where you pulled that "its my attitude" thing from.

The same scheme repeats all over our state. We loose more and more rights by the month, have to pay one of the highest tax rates in the world while most of the money magically "disappears" but yet most people accept that bad treatment because its still one of the better places to live in which can be considered a huge benefit.
All our political parties lie to no end, engage in large scale corruption and people still vote for them. Guess the benefits they expect out of that outweight the bad treatment.

To post at least something on topic:
A vote system that flags/highlights abusive players for support wouldnt be a bad idea either. Votekick/Voteban systems worked well on various HL mods I played even though they did auto-kick/ban and bans were only revoked upon request to the admin.
Simple but effective system.

#180 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:36 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 29 January 2015 - 02:07 AM, said:

We are older than the Younger players, But as to Maturity... We still play games with Giant Stompy Robots. How Mature is that? ^_^

Rule #2 ALWAYS double Tap!
Posted Image

Yep, Its not maturity it's the PC crowd. The whole group mentality taken to the extreme. How long before these guys gang up on other players not for what they do but the positions they take. The idea is ripe for abuse and mob rule.

Mature people like we military vet's understand how the world works and are not offended by words but actions. The kiddie crowd wants butterflies and unicorns flying out everyone's arse while they kill in a simulation. The pinnacle of morons on parade.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users