Reduce Toxic Players In Game

210 replies to this topic

#181 Catra Lanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:36 AM

Sticks and Straws, personally I don't care what people call me in chat. In through the left ear out through the right. Teamkilling though bothers me(when I say teamkilling i refer to intentional ones). In one game a guy killed three teammates at the start, a few games later the same happened to the red team. The name wasn't the same but I suspect it was the same guy with an alt.

Luckily it is rare but I have noticed an increase in frequency, it's still rare but... As to why I have no explanation as I don't think there's been a noticeable influx of new players.

#182 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:05 AM

I saw a couple of reports go out last night for language. There is some real mech rage out there. Especially when it comes to LRM's and Thunderbolts.

I have been playing since pretty much inception, and until a month ago, never had a TK. That being said, it happens, especially in todays game of high burst FLD and insane amounts of laser vomit.

A Commando that runs in front of his teams Stormcrow, Thud 5S, or Timberwolf, well....

#183 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:24 AM

The percentage of trolls is very low.

The better solution is for everyone to politely point out that weather the person is right or not, the behavior is wrong then ignore them.

If everyone does this it will be like the real world, you just don't do things because the vast majority of people frown on it.

#184 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostAssaultPig, on 29 January 2015 - 02:00 AM, said:

an easier (and to be honest, maybe better) solution would be for the chat client to just have a squelch/ignore function

this kind of thing is why I'm still leery of voicechat

also, PGI does ban people if their conduct is bad or repeated enough. I follow another forum that has a fair number of folks who play, and we've had a couple over the course of time who have complained that PGI banned them for conduct (good riddance imo.)

still, for all their talk about 'toxic' players, companies like money an awful lot. In MWO as in most games you have to be pretty awful for a pretty extended period of time for anything to actually happen to you

All I've been arguing for ITT is a system that addresses only the players who are "pretty awful for a pretty extended period of time" and nothing else.

View Postjoelmuzz, on 29 January 2015 - 02:33 AM, said:

A vote system is useful to highlight players for staff to spy on for a bit and then react to any issues they witness while watching or reviewing logs.

But shouldnt result in auto bans.
Use it to prioritize who staff monitor only.

In the case of text and voice chat you should be able to permanently block anyone who offends/annoys you from your own computer.
That solves a lot of problems. People who want to dominate others by having them globally censored are half the problem.

Again, only globally censoring the players who have been proven time and again to be toxic. Everyone has bad moods and bad days sometimes, and lash out. Should that be punished? No.

But should a player who is nothing but toxic day in and day out be allowed to continue in such a manner? The squelch/ignore function only serves to alleviate the issue for the individual user who decides to use that function. It does nothing to address or reform the offending player's crappy behavior. It does nothing to discourage the offending player from behaving like a sociopath just because "it's the internet and not real life." This has been my point all along and everyone seems to be content in ignoring that and twisting my words.

View PostThe Basilisk, on 29 January 2015 - 02:10 AM, said:

LoL is the best example for a community that does not work at all and what has to be circumvented by all costs.

Player executed penalisation systems are nothing but invitations for bullying and abuse.

Keep it rational yourself, take a pic and mail it to support.

I invite you to actually take a look at LoL's system. I've played the game since it came out and the system has come a long way. I've witnessed it in action and it works well.

But yes, I will go to support with a screenshot next time I need to. Thankfully it is a pretty rare occurrence in this community. The overwhelming majority of players on MWO are great people that I enjoy playing with. All I want is for the few "bad apples" to be made to understand that their behavior is not acceptable inside such a stellar community. Is that so much to ask?

View Post0111101, on 28 January 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

Abuse of the reporting system leads to punishment for the abusing player. Look at League. You submit false reports and get punished for it. You get a bunch of false reports against you and nothing happens to you. You get legitimate reports against you often enough or for severe enough offenses and you're given a chance to stop the behavior before any punitive action takes place.

This is an issue of accountability for your actions in a virtual environment and nothing else.

Edits: clarity, wording

Edited by 0111101, 29 January 2015 - 09:10 AM.

#185 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:40 AM

I'd rather the game have an "ignore" list and a "no-play list"

ignore would simply mute all their chat on my screen.

no-play would not allow us to drop in the same match.

#186 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:51 AM

I would be for a profanity filter only because I use it as my own personal Mad Libs mini-game.

#187 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:25 AM

Do profanity filters still block Words like Cockpit(****pit)?

No? Good!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 29 January 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#188 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

View PostRussianWolf, on 29 January 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

I'd rather the game have an "ignore" list and a "no-play list"

ignore would simply mute all their chat on my screen.

no-play would not allow us to drop in the same match.

The "No Play" list idea was nixed about 3 townhalls ago because it will destroy the matchmaker with everyone's preference lists and you'd never get matches.

#189 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

behavior has to be pretty bad for most players to take and upload a screenshot and actually send it in an email, especially when most assume (usually probably correctly) that no action will be taken as a result

I mean, that's a lot of my time invested as opposed to either just dropping the match or TKing the guy

there is really no excuse for their not to be a basic ingame report function

#190 F4T 4L

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

**** you, dumb-ass. Aren't we censored enough?

If I scream at you on team-chat that you're an idiot, and you made some incredibly stupid mistake, you most likely are.

I can't speak for other folks, of course..

#191 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:08 PM

lol, who's censored

nobody's gonna take you to jail for being a douchebag

#192 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

"Let me be offended for you! because I know that everyone else is offended and hurt by these mean words on the internet!"

#193 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:35 PM

'wah wah somebody called me out for being an *******'

#194 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:35 PM

View PostEscef, on 22 December 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:

I would have guessed 16.

me too....he just made the rest of us under 30 guys look really good.

#195 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

View PostAssaultPig, on 29 January 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

Posted Image

#196 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:44 PM

View PostBrody319, on 29 January 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

Posted Image

OMG so true... love that meme.

View PostAssaultPig, on 29 January 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

You sir, can go to the corner, and think about your life.

Aside from that.... too much rage. How about a funny meme and a gif to LYAO (Laugh your A** off) at?

Posted Image

See? He agrees...

Posted Image

What These two think of this topic

#197 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

I love how these topics always bring out all the people who just blatantly want the right to harass other people and fling hate speech and other toxic drivel into chat. So many thinly veiled excuses to cover up their own immaturity and lack of social capability. It's so laughably obvious who the real problem players are when they can't even stop themselves from coming in and calling people "thin skinned", "carebears", "crybabies", and a multitude of other teenage level excuses, trying to pin their social ineptitude on others and claiming that their lack of ability to talk like a decent human being stems from some kind of made up "internet culture". It's like a direct guide on which players are total douchebags who need to be ignored.

Sorry kids, keeping a safe and enjoyable community atmosphere that DOESN'T drive players and supporters away is far more important than your INSULTINGLY FALSE assertions of "freedom of speech" that disgrace the very meaning of the phrase.

#198 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:23 PM

There are multiple units on MWO that offer a better environment like that TG.

;)

#199 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:28 PM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 29 January 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

I love how these topics always bring out all the people who just blatantly want the right to harass other people and fling hate speech and other toxic drivel into chat. So many thinly veiled excuses to cover up their own immaturity and lack of social capability. It's so laughably obvious who the real problem players are when they can't even stop themselves from coming in and calling people "thin skinned", "carebears", "crybabies", and a multitude of other teenage level excuses, trying to pin their social ineptitude on others and claiming that their lack of ability to talk like a decent human being stems from some kind of made up "internet culture". It's like a direct guide on which players are total douchebags who need to be ignored.

Sorry kids, keeping a safe and enjoyable community atmosphere that DOESN'T drive players and supporters away is far more important than your INSULTINGLY FALSE assertions of "freedom of speech" that disgrace the very meaning of the phrase.

Posted Image

Wouldn't want people to think this community is all trash because one person said a bad word on the internet mrite?

#200 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

View Postjoelmuzz, on 29 January 2015 - 02:33 AM, said:

A vote system is useful to highlight players for staff to spy on for a bit and then react to any issues they witness while watching or reviewing logs.

But shouldnt result in auto bans.
Use it to prioritize who staff monitor only.

In the case of text and voice chat you should be able to permanently block anyone who offends/annoys you from your own computer.
That solves a lot of problems. People who want to dominate others by having them globally censored are half the problem.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users