Do You Like Your King Crab?

53 replies to this topic

#1 Rehl

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:41 AM

Just curious to see what people think. Personally, I only have the loyalty reward version, and I have to say that I enjoy it much more than I ever enjoyed a new Atlas (or Dire Whale, for that matter). It just seems a little more responsive for some reason (as far as actual movement goes). Also, the weapon placement seems pretty fantastic. The arms reach around corners for AC20 rounds to the face from virtual cover, and the other hard points are so high on the torso that they're great for hill hugging. I'll pick up two other variants when they are made available for cbills, but even with just the basics done, it's a lot of fun... most of the time ;)

Do you love it? hate it? dig it? disdain it?

#2 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:48 AM

Its very, very good but im not playing it anymore till the other variants are out for Cbills, because i dont play unmastered mechs, except while leveling them.

#3 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:49 AM

KGC is a great mech. My only problem with it is that it very much outshines the Atlas and doesn't really leave a place for it. It can carry more firepower, has a lower profile, can move as fast, has better hardpoints. The only reason to take Big Al for a spin is the nostalgia at this point. Usually, that's still enough for me. Not every mech has to be equal in my mind, and I like some of the lower tier ones just for their looks, feel, etc. I just worry about the power creep pushing these older mechs so far out of the running that we no longer see them, ever.

#4 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:50 AM

View PostDino Might, on 23 December 2014 - 03:49 AM, said:

KGC is a great mech. My only problem with it is that it very much outshines the Atlas and doesn't really leave a place for it. It can carry more firepower, has a lower profile, can move as fast, has better hardpoints. The only reason to take Big Al for a spin is the nostalgia at this point. Usually, that's still enough for me. Not every mech has to be equal in my mind, and I like some of the lower tier ones just for their looks, feel, etc. I just worry about the power creep pushing these older mechs so far out of the running that we no longer see them, ever.

Atlas was already obsoleted by the Banshee anyway. Its just too goddamn huge and easy to shoot for the firepower it brings.

#5 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:54 AM

I want to like it, but it's just ehh.

Now in all fairness, Assaults are not my thing (I even hate my Misery and people like those).

To me its...wadle slowly and hope to unload your weapons and kill a poor schmuck caught out in the open before the enemy focuses you down and kills you. This is all assuming you aren't left behind and killed by a couple of enemy lights.

I know there are good and crafty Assault pilots out there, I'm just not one of them.

I will say this though. I do tolerate the King Crab, which I'd more than I can say for my other Assaults.

#6 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:57 AM

The KC is a great 'Mech that I enjoy piloting very much.

Can't wait for the Cerberus.

#7 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:04 AM

Very solid mech. Can carry a whole lot of pain. And as long as you put at least a 320 in it then it will be just fast enough to keep up with the rest. Have all 3 and they are elited now. And not gonna sell of a single one.

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:08 AM

View PostRehl, on 23 December 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

Do you love it? hate it? dig it? disdain it?
Its a thing of beauty BUT I have to find my groove in it which was simple for my Atlas-S for some reason. :huh:

#9 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:25 AM

View Postsneeking, on 23 December 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

Had some great matches in it, had many more I don't feel like talking about...

But to be fair its big and slow and thats not my area of expertise. ..

This basically sums it up for me.

I'm glad I have the mech and appreciate the gift from PGI, but it just isn't my class of mech.

It does look so darn cool though.

#10 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:22 AM

Yeah I really like it alot mostly because it doesn't flounder about like most assault mechs. I mean aside from speed, it has the handling characteristics of a heavy and a great torso transverse range. Honestly it is the ONLY assault mech I really like and that includes mechs like the Dire Wolf and Warhawk.

#11 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:25 AM

I'm not an assault pilot, but the Crab is fun to waddle out in and blow up some mechs before I get focused and shot into the dirt. :D

#12 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:36 AM

I am having alright games with it. However I keep trying to resist myself from getting an XL engine... because I am seeing less and less reason why to continue playing with 1 torso... it often leaves you without any close range weapons besides a single AC 20 or leaves you no long range weapons with an effectiveness outside of 300 meters... also most jagermech builds with AC 20's have sometimes more firepower then me... which concerns me. I rarely like playing a mech that specifically has less firepower then something much lighter then it. (ice ferret is an acception as it is the fastest clan mech in game...)

#13 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:50 AM

KC I like it as much as the Daishi, what I like most about it is its mobility handles like a heavy mech +1

#14 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:55 AM

Love it to death. Haven't dropped in anything else since they I got them.

#15 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:55 AM

It's amazing, I love it.

With a dual gauss + 2 ppc build I find that an xl350 works just fine, the speed to get in good sniper positions is worth more than st survival in that case. And you can still take a lot of damage, most of my deaths are CT even with xl.

For any brawler setup the xl engine is a no no, you need the shield.

But for me the misery is the superior std engine assault brawler, since it can zombie with a large pulse. so I prefer the xl super firepower setups on the KC. I guess the ct zombie lasers are the one thing going for the atlas as well.

#16 NovaFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:00 AM

I'm not much of an assault pilot, but I have a soft spot for the Battlemaster, Dire wolf and Stalker, and to a lesser extent the Atlas, just because of how old of a chassis it is. The KGC feels responsive and maneuverable for its size, but I can't help but feel it has this ponderousness to it that I can't pin down. Something about the low arms, the huge, easy-to-shred profile (especially up close, SRMs will eat it) and inability to shield well makes the mech feel unwieldy to me. It brings more firepower than the Atlas, but tanks poorer (You should never die before you lose an arm in a humanoid assault).

Yet it doesn't have the same instant presence at all ranges the Dire Wolf can bring. Even the Whale's big shoulders are decent objects to shield the torso with if you're willing to do a little defensive dance in order to soak missiles. The Crab has these long and exposed flanks and the builds tend to favor one range or another.

I think the telling part is I haven't really met a crab that I had a huge amount of difficulty killing yet. It also has some weird issues like the vertical spoiler counting as rear CT but visible from the front, although the hitbox is only about as large as the head, so it's not significant.

Edited by NovaFury, 23 December 2014 - 06:04 AM.

#17 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:07 AM

I'm saving up for when the other KGCs come up for c-bills. I already have enough XP on the KGC-000(L) to get all the elite skills. Thing is really nice.

#18 vettie

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:38 AM

Its a freebie (more or less), what's not to like?

#19 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:39 AM

Precious crab wife

#20 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:50 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 23 December 2014 - 05:36 AM, said:

I am having alright games with it. However I keep trying to resist myself from getting an XL engine... because I am seeing less and less reason why to continue playing with 1 torso... it often leaves you without any close range weapons besides a single AC 20 or leaves you no long range weapons with an effectiveness outside of 300 meters... also most jagermech builds with AC 20's have sometimes more firepower then me... which concerns me. I rarely like playing a mech that specifically has less firepower then something much lighter then it. (ice ferret is an acception as it is the fastest clan mech in game...)

To be honest, I think I have only lost a ST in the KC like 2-3 times since I got it which is roughly only 10% of the time. That being the case, you really could probably roll with an XL and not see your combat effectiveness drop all that much.

Also consider that XL vulnerability is partially a factor of the enemy expecting to find an XL engine equipped. I mean you don't tend to shoot at STs unless you feel confident that the enemy is using an XL so considering that 90-95% of the KC won't be running an XL, no one is going to really be expecting you to be vulnerable to a ST loss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users