Thoughts or feelings on First person only?

614 replies to this topic

#501 Sam Slade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 06 February 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

Saying 3rd person cameras are needed for motion sickness holds about as much water as saying that some people are afraid of violence directed at their person, so there should be an invulnerability toggle so they can feel safe. See my previous comments in this thread.

I also don't care how many potential gold farmers in Chinese prison will be inconvenienced by not being able to fire missiles over hilltops and around corners without the magic free camera LOS.

As to the first comment vis a vie motion sickness; are you kidding? If it can be implemented with no discernable advantage you'd still say no? To use your logic; I totally hate wheel chair ramps because people can walk up them instead of walking up stairs...

The second argument vis a vie China: Are you kidding? PGI would have to run the game through a Chinese third party company like KongZhong because that's just the way it is there(meaning isolated servers)... but they would make enough money to allow constant development and expansion.

From the tone of your post I think I shall make it simple: These ideas will make things better for YOU...more staff, more updates, more tech support more content. More for YOU.

Post script: if you have nothing to add except for 'I want for me! The rest of you can go **** a **** ****' then why post?

Edited by Sam Slade, 06 February 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#502 corsair

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 23 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

I have found from playing all the mech warrior games and games like world of tanks, that fighting from first person is always much more accurate. But some times you need that 3rd person veiw to navigate difficult terrain, or figure out why your stuck, or what ever. Its a valuable piloting tool as far as im concerned and i think it should be in the game.

#503 Tizzer

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:29 AM

First person I would tend to say yes , personally however 3rd no matter whether you mean to or not will have a advantage (the viewpoint and no cockpit "clutter" (although I love that sort of stuff) . However i could live with people having 3rd as long as non viewable things from cockpit aren't rendered, but thats a lot of work to do and a other have said I'd rather forced 1st person and have devs spend time on getting other shiney things (like sorting out a Madcat for the clan invasion) XD.

Edited by Tizzer, 08 February 2012 - 03:29 AM.

#504 Vernius Ix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOscar Mike

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

I am pro cockpit.

#505 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

In single player I always played 1st person for the immersion. I never really had any problems navigating etc and accepted any problems in urban areas as down to what it's like to pilot a mech. I can see both points of view but agree that 3rd person shouldn't be "God Mode" as it was in previous iterations.

#506 Mims

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

Im thinking first person only with drone camera modules, could have many aplications. just trying to stay within the bounds of the games reality

#507 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

If motion sickness were to be the decider, and the 3rd person view did not render anything not seen from inside the cockpit, but did prevent the rolling motion issue, thus alleviating the sickness aspect, then why would they not just allow a toggle of the motion aspect to off from within the 1st person view?

There seems to be a disconnect from 3rd person with no extra viewable objects and the 1st person with no decernable motion while in the cockpit. If someone gets both Motion sickness and are Claustrophobic in the cockpit while playing any game, perhaps they should rethink things.

#508 Mudvayne

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

As much as I would love to read through all these posts, I just don't have the patience and/or time. With that being said, my point of view:

Yes, Mechwarrior is a simulation piloting game, therefore it would be obvious to have the default settings to first person view. However, I believe the Mechwarrior community is split on using first person vs. 3rd person. Whether either or be an advantage or disadvantage. Common sense ( which isn't all that common) would to implement the 2 and give the players the choice. Not everyone can play in first person, but they love the game. So, by not allowing both views is basically telling people that we know you waited for so long for this new & improved version of Mechwarrior, but since you can't play the game in first person, you can't play it. I am excited about this game and look forward to playing again with my friends, which will not happen if there is no 3rd person view for them to do so.

Once again, I understand this is a pilot simulation game. But if you think about this. If we were truly able to operate 100+ story mechanical robots, the cockpit would most likely be filled with monitors allowing you to see everything around you. Giving it the effect of 3rd person. This is obviously not going to be implemented into the game itself. I'm speculating here that the developers want this game to be played, played a lot and played by many. I see no reason or rhyme why they should not implement 3rd person....

(Personally, I use both, depending on the mech I'm using and the type of combat.)

#509 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

The people who did MWLL mentioned in a fan-made interview video (start at 3:36) that there was a problem in the game engine that prevented them from doing a third-person view. That same problem may affect MW:O.

For the record, I am all for keeping the game first-person only.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 19 February 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#510 Magnificent Bastard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

First person perspective makes the game feel more epic. I am strongly in favor of keeping the game strictly first person perspective.

#511 Cur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 335 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

I'm a 3rd person lover.

1st person doesnt do mechwarrior justice.

All you people whom say its only right because of the realism aspect - im sorry - but i think you are fools for using that reason.

why?

If you were realy in a mech's cockpit you'd have the ability to turn you're head left and right, up and down, tho you're crosshairs wont be aiming where you're looking your'e still able to see the battlefield, and say an enemy mech running towards you that you arnt able to see if you're head has been shoved in a vice so you're only able to see straight ahead (which is what the current 1st person view suggests)

You'd need a 3 monitor setup to come close to a 1st person that would do the mechwarrior game any sense of justice, and even then you'd still need the ability to turn you're head left/right/up/down when in the cockpit for additional sight.

Other than that, i actualy loved being able to look at my mech while i piloted it, rather than hoping to hell im running in the right direction vs the sun so i can drool at my shadow instead.

#512 Magnificent Bastard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

View PostCur, on 19 February 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

1st person doesnt do mechwarrior justice.

All you people whom say its only right because of the realism aspect - im sorry - but i think you are fools for using that reason.

why?

If you were realy in a mech's cockpit you'd have the ability to turn you're head left and right, up and down, tho you're crosshairs wont be aiming where you're looking your'e still able to see the battlefield, and say an enemy mech running towards you that you arnt able to see if you're head has been shoved in a vice so you're only able to see straight ahead (which is what the current 1st person view suggests)

You'd need a 3 monitor setup to come close to a 1st person that would do the mechwarrior game any sense of justice, and even then you'd still need the ability to turn you're head left/right/up/down when in the cockpit for additional sight.

That's why I have buttons on my joystick that turn my pilot's head within the cockpit in MW4. I expect something similar in MWO. So there you go, problem solved.

#513 Teddy Bear

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

More realistic the better.

#514 Wyzak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 256 posts
  • LocationHartford, Vermont

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

1st person for me, but perhaps there should be a way to turn off the cockpit bounce that so many are saying will give them motion sickness.

#515 Conn Man

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostMagnificent *******, on 19 February 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

That's why I have buttons on my joystick that turn my pilot's head within the cockpit in MW4. I expect something similar in MWO. So there you go, problem solved.

This. MW3 had a free look mode as well.

The VW cockpits only have first person. There is no option for a third person view. Some people have questioned that, but after playing a game not one of them has made a single serious complaint. That's after countless events, including innumerable gaming conventions serving I don't know how many players. Not one complaint. Do you know why? Because since everyone has the same view nobody has an advantage over anybody else.

I don't think there should be a question about having a choice of views in game. There should only be one. Personally I would like it to be first person only, but if there is going to be third person then everyone should have to play that way.

#516 Conn Man

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

And for the record:

"I want to simulate piloting a 'mech. Not simulate an out of body experience. First person is the way to go."

#517 Fluffinator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 132 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostCur, on 19 February 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

but i think you are fools for using that reason.

why?

If you were realy in a mech's cockpit you'd have the ability to turn you're head left and right, up and down, tho you're crosshairs wont be aiming where you're looking

Um the apache does that now...do you really think these mechs are less advanced than our current choppers?

#518 Wulfbane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 181 posts
  • LocationNZ Auckland

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

I first person ftw. it show more skill in the pilot and most normal people use 1st person. take battlefield 3 or mw2 or 3 for examples of games that use 1st person. if you can't handle the problem then leave or play. In 1st person it shows you in the mech and not out of it. teachs you to think and plan. i know ill be taking this from portal but THINK WITH MECHS!!!! ;)

P.s you can look around in a mech in 1st person

Edited by Wulfbane, 19 February 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#519 tacobellkiller

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

They need fist-person only because that allows them to use a true LOS system. To have a true LOS system with 3rd person might require magically disappearing mechs when they are out the mechs view but not out of the camera view, similar to World of Tanks. This is one of the worst aspects of WoT and I would much rather true LOS, without wonky workarounds that 3rd person would require.

As far as the head turning as opposed to mech aiming you could simply have a button when held turns mouse movement into looking around instead of aiming and when released the mech turns its aim to where ever you happen to be looking, like World of Tanks. One of the things they got right. You could also have a button toggle to lock/unlock the torso twist, especially if firing while twisting degrades accuracy which it probably should. All of this of course depends on what the cockpit and view looks like of course.

Edited by tacobellkiller, 19 February 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#520 DRevD

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

First person only.

Third person allows free scouting over obstacles, with minimal risk to yourself. This minimizes the need for dedicated scouting and tends to heavily favor passive hill humping snipers.

If MWO allows third person, the devs might as well advertise the game as a third person game. First person will be completely obsolete to anyone wanting to play competitively...or simply wanting to play the best they can.

Edited by DRevD, 19 February 2012 - 09:10 PM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users