Is Access To Clan Mechs

40 replies to this topic

#21 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:19 AM

View PostCrockdaddyAoD, on 24 December 2014 - 01:44 AM, said:

Yeah because everyone absolutely hates running the Tier 1 Timberwolves and Tier 1 Stormcrows ... those mechs hella suck. *eye* roll ... oh and the Hellbringer is a uber crappy heavy mech. I couldn't imagine using it. Imagine ... if you will ... running multiple LRM 15 racks and ERLL in your slow assault Warhawk (more sarcasm) ...

I own almost every mech in the game. Clan mechs for CW are strong. They range incredibly well and are durable. Only good IS teams with many veterans with modules etc beat clans regularly. We do ... but again we are a competitive team. It isn't easy. Against organized teams it is incredibly difficult to win. Sure your lights are limited by speed but they carry a massive punch. PLus imaging a kitfox with ECM and Triple AMS!! Talk about missile defense.

I admit I am in love with the variety I get out of my TDR right now and a few other mechs ... but if I could choose a mech ... I'd be hard pressed to turn down several waves of Storm Crow's and Timberwolves.

That being said ... the quirks helped to close the gap and without them the current game would be nigh hopeless in many ways unless you are a pro direct fire team. I for one am glad to see the variety.

And again, you only go on about the Timby and Stormcrow. Hellbringer is a good mech from what I can see. Warhawk is a pretty good mech. But then again, the TBR, SCR, HBR, WHK, DWF and a very select few MDDs are all we see in CW, with the primary clan choice being the TBR and SCR. You rarely see SMRs and NVAs. Only people who I guess wanted to run some DWFs pick KFX and MLX, otherwise they wouldnt have. Whats your take on the SMR and NVA? Or the Gargoyle? Or the Mad Dog? There has to be a reason you dont see half the clan mechs on a regular basis in CW.

#22 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:29 AM

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Red_Corsair

pirates with clan lazorz

#23 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:00 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 24 December 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

And again, you only go on about the Timby and Stormcrow. Hellbringer is a good mech from what I can see. Warhawk is a pretty good mech. But then again, the TBR, SCR, HBR, WHK, DWF and a very select few MDDs are all we see in CW, with the primary clan choice being the TBR and SCR. You rarely see SMRs and NVAs. Only people who I guess wanted to run some DWFs pick KFX and MLX, otherwise they wouldnt have. Whats your take on the SMR and NVA? Or the Gargoyle? Or the Mad Dog? There has to be a reason you dont see half the clan mechs on a regular basis in CW.

It's SMN btw, for summoner. As for why we don't see the others, it's because they are not tonnage efficient. That doesn't mean they're not good. Just not the best. I'm sorry, but if you want every clan mech to be tier1, and the bestest at everything, then you're gonna be sorely disappointed.

View PostLOADED, on 24 December 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Red_Corsair

pirates with clan lazorz

Actually, they were "pirates" heavy emphasis on the quotation marks there. Since she was a clanner actually, and they were a covert op run by the Jade Falcons

Edited by IraqiWalker, 24 December 2014 - 06:10 AM.

#24 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:31 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 December 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

Yeah, if it's for one week, of course they would. It takes WEEKS! To learn to play a single variant right, let alone a full chassis (3 variants). Although with clans it's a bit shorter, since all three variants can be the same set up.

Variant isn't the correct term here.

A variant is a term to use for a battlemech. A mech with fixed hardpoints and such. (lorewise this is practically equipment as well. this is why some mechs is a brand new variant by simply replacing an AC 10 for a LBX 10)

The other term is an "Alternative Configeration" or "Alt. Config." for short. This is the term to use for omnimechs.A mech that has flexible omnipods that can switch in and out hardpoints and is quite flexible.

Just nit picking....

Anyway on topic I think CW needs to develope a little bit better.
I want to see something that say... when I am fighting FRR in my ghost bear. I want to see a team of mostly FRR, not dozens of davions and mariks. Also I think there should be an insentive to use faction correct mechs. Maybe a loyalty point bonus and C-bill bonus of 10%? Then we should eventually drop some Clan mechs for IS use however in very limited use. I do not think it'll happen this year at all though.

Also direwolf would be practically off the shelf. The IS didn't really get any besides some kurita. However they were restricted to testing.

However clans shouldn't be at a disadvantage, IS using mix clan and inner sphere mechs. Clans should get soon a "Wave 3" clan pack or something that consists of IIC variants like the Hunchback IIC, Locust IIC, Jenner IIC, Urbanmech IIC (if it comes out...) etc.

I wounder if there will be the ability soon to make IS mechs with clan tech... like the AS7-D(Clan) which has a C UAC 20, C SSRM 6, C Swarm LRM, and 4 normal medium lasers. (this is it stock)

#25 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:37 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 24 December 2014 - 06:31 AM, said:

Variant isn't the correct term here.

A variant is a term to use for a battlemech. A mech with fixed hardpoints and such. (lorewise this is practically equipment as well. this is why some mechs is a brand new variant by simply replacing an AC 10 for a LBX 10)

The other term is an "Alternative Configeration" or "Alt. Config." for short. This is the term to use for omnimechs.A mech that has flexible omnipods that can switch in and out hardpoints and is quite flexible.

Just nit picking....

I know, but I needed to use the term here to explain to the broader audience (there are still some who don't have clan mechs)

View PostNightshade24, on 24 December 2014 - 06:31 AM, said:

Anyway on topic I think CW needs to develope a little bit better.
I want to see something that say... when I am fighting FRR in my ghost bear. I want to see a team of mostly FRR, not dozens of davions and mariks. Also I think there should be an insentive to use faction correct mechs. Maybe a loyalty point bonus and C-bill bonus of 10%? Then we should eventually drop some Clan mechs for IS use however in very limited use. I do not think it'll happen this year at all though.

Also direwolf would be practically off the shelf. The IS didn't really get any besides some kurita. However they were restricted to testing.

However clans shouldn't be at a disadvantage, IS using mix clan and inner sphere mechs. Clans should get soon a "Wave 3" clan pack or something that consists of IIC variants like the Hunchback IIC, Locust IIC, Jenner IIC, Urbanmech IIC (if it comes out...) etc.

I wounder if there will be the ability soon to make IS mechs with clan tech... like the AS7-D(Clan) which has a C UAC 20, C SSRM 6, C Swarm LRM, and 4 normal medium lasers. (this is it stock)

I would like some of those suggestions. I personally think that the tech trees should remain separate for much longer, though.

Also, if I am not mistaken, they are close to running out of the era-appropriate first wave clan mechs (Especially considering they can't implement any that use MASC, yet. Ex: Gladiator, Shadowcat). Soon they might have to start working on second line mechs. I know they said the 2C mechs will probably never enter the game in the near future, but some of the older omnis could be inserted as second line mechs.

#26 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:41 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 24 December 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

personally my most common mechs I take for CW is...

Mist lynx: C (stock build with no AMS), and sometimes the prime (stock copy of the A)
Warhawk: A (stock copy of the F), Prime (stock copy of TARRA, aka no LRM 10), and B (missile hawk)
Direwolf: B (LRM Widowmaker minus the small laser), A (LBX 20, LBX 10, 4 er med las, the rest of the weapons I keep changing)
Kitfox: D (2 lrm 5, 2 lrm 15), Prime (stock copy of A)
Ice ferret: Prime (stock), Sometimes the other two but most often the prime.

and I also started running the nova's quite recently, I play all of em but I most often play the prime with 12 small lasers.

I literally didn't take the timberwolf once in CW and I rarely use the stormcrow (I still struggle to see why people like that mech so much. It's a decent missile platform but the medium lasers are too damn hot)

So yea... I do often have my games as a loss but I also often have the highest match score (kills/ damage) in my team or both teams.

those firestarters are kinda hard to prevent zerg rushing the base.

#27 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:07 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 24 December 2014 - 06:37 AM, said:

I know, but I needed to use the term here to explain to the broader audience (there are still some who don't have clan mechs)

I would like some of those suggestions. I personally think that the tech trees should remain separate for much longer, though.

Also, if I am not mistaken, they are close to running out of the era-appropriate first wave clan mechs (Especially considering they can't implement any that use MASC, yet. Ex: Gladiator, Shadowcat). Soon they might have to start working on second line mechs. I know they said the 2C mechs will probably never enter the game in the near future, but some of the older omnis could be inserted as second line mechs.

They said they will not add it after clan Wave 1 but after the 2nd wave it may possible be seen.

Also there is a hint that the Hunchback IIC is planned for this game. On the founders huncback video it stats that the hunchback pro is a giant autocannon in the torso and the con is it doesn't have it on both torsos. after that it was "yet...".

hinting that the mk IIC will come into the game because the hero one obviously doesn't got 1 hunchies.

Anyway, It is likely that we will see the IIC mechs anytime between now and later. As you stated we are running out off mechs, for mechs that actually saw service in the inner sphere for the invasion we only got 3 left and it isn't suitable to make a pack off it due to the mad dog being given as a promo. These mechs are...

Firemoth (MASC)
Viper (larger kitfox that has no torso, meaning it'll have serious design time like the nova)
Executioner (MASC)

So no pack will be made from these as the only thing they can release next is the viper. |

IIC mechs may have some issues like the fact that barely any are in this timeline for 3 variants however a person did think it may be a good idea for the exp pool to share with the co-existing IS version, ie Locust IIC and normal Locust.

Because this kinda makes sense as the original version of these mechs are still around in the clan space without an IIC variant.

But yea, this is jsut an idea to basicly sneak in more IIC variants because I think only 2 or 3 IIC mechs could come in otherwise.

older omnis and stuff could come in as well eventually. But who can say no to a duel UAC 20 hunchback with jumpjets?

#28 Bregor Edain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:44 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 24 December 2014 - 01:07 AM, said:

Not a single piece of salvage was ever left to the pilot that got it. Not even mercs got away with it. All clan tech was handed to the houses, and was done so quickly, since the houses went to extreme measure to take that tech. Including threatening to destroy (and possibly even carrying out that threat) the mercs in question.

The Dragoons and Kell Hounds where allowed to salvage Clan omni mechs after the battle for Luthien and perhaps before that too. Granted, they where the best mercs around but this sets precedent.

#29 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:46 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 23 December 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

Clans having IS mechs...?

or better yet IS weapons

#30 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:11 AM

View PostScorcher, on 23 December 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

The way community warfare is laid out, you will never be able to use Clan mechs as IS and vice versa.
not true at all. PGI could do some sort of a salvage point system that when you salvage so many points you could then turn them in to "unlock" a Clan mech or IS mech to be used while you are playing the other side. Also, PGI could very easily just so often open up a Chassis here or there as (salvage over time) that has made its way into Clan hands or IS hands and do events around it.

Today in the IS, we have battled the Clans on many worlds and have captured their tech. But it has not been until today that we finally understand how to use and maintain it in the limited numbers we have that are operational. Today! The Inner Sphere has the knowhow to use that limited tech. I give you the Madcat!

And there you go... The Clans have the Timberwolf and the IS would have their refitted Madcat. Its Omni pods could now fit IS or Clan weapon tech, unlike the Clan Timberwolf that would only still use Clan tech. But let's reverse the situation.

Let's say we get this event. Not only would the IS get the IS Madcat retrofit from the Timberwolf, but the Clans also have IS salvage if their own in the now renamed Orion llC. Now with the Clans havering a retrofit of their own, they too can use IS or Clan tech on this chassis as well as use our standard engines in it.

And PGI can keep releasing mechs to each side like this periodicly. One Clan mech refit for the IS and 1 IS refit for the Clans.

Edited by Yoseful Mallad, 24 December 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#31 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 24 December 2014 - 06:00 AM, said:

It's SMN btw, for summoner. As for why we don't see the others, it's because they are not tonnage efficient. That doesn't mean they're not good. Just not the best. I'm sorry, but if you want every clan mech to be tier1, and the bestest at everything, then you're gonna be sorely disappointed.

I dont want everyone to be the best. But the incessant whining about Clans OP stems from basically a quarter of the clan mechs being so much better then the others that everyone migrates to them and ignores the rest. And since im sure the Clan stats overall are not bad, it leaves the not so great Clan mechs to never see needed buffs to atleast bring them to a point where Clams will get in their other robots.

The Summoner needs help, no one in their right mind pilots it. It has so very few really viable loadouts, it has no pod space and the like 5 JJ it has strapped on dont really amount to much more then a mound of wasted weight. If the Summoner got a few Agility/mobility and JJ buffs, I think it would become the Clans choice for a fast striker heavy, maybe lighter on the guns, but I guess like a Heavy version of the old Victor I heard everyone loved so much...it was agile, fast, moved well, had JJ. Which I suppose is why PGI doesnt do that to the SMN.

Mad Dog could use some MIssile quirks, maybe less heat gen or faster reload rate or something. I have played with it in Smurfy and if you mount any meaningful amount of missiles on it, the thing runs very, very hot..I can never get more like 4-6t of ammo and a 22% heat eff when mounting 4SRM4 and 2 SRM6, some builds with Art some without. Its LRM builds are even kinda worse imo...you can strap 4 LRM 15s or 20s on it but you either wont have any back up lasers, no heat eff to speak of, or low ammo....and since LRM boats are all about ammo, it will likely be the 1st 2 you lack...Then to boot, you usually strip off armor on the thing, making it quite weak overall. Ofc, the Vulture always was a back line support mech.

Nova: Ive toyed with this in Smurfy and its trial version a bit. It needs a bit more on the heat eff in the way of some quirks. Since it can mount only lasers, as putting a cannon on it is a waste, it simply has no sustainability if you put any meaningful amount of lasers on it. Sure, you can chain fire as you should, but then your damage output is just plain bad. and more face time=more getting shot to bits. A few energy based quirks would help that mech out, CD, beam time, heat eff...that stuff

Idk anything about the MLX, KFX or Frozen Rodent....

Warhawk: It is a pretty good mech overall, its durable, fast, agile. I quite like it. But it to could use a few heat eff quirks, given it has a mound of DHS that are limiting it's hardpoints. It only has but a few builds it can even make. LRM Boat, that imo is a waste of an assault mech. LL/LPL/CERPPC builds, the CERPPC builds suck simply cuz the CERPPC sucks. Its like sole loadout is the 4xLPL. I suppose you can mount cannons and a mix of lasers and missiles, ive got a build like that. But the Warhawk is a Clan Awesome at heart and should be quirked as such.

Toygoyle, I spent about 5 minutes in smurfy with it and I came to the conclusion it is a total Piece of crap. Sure, its fast, but it has absolutely no space to put any meaningful firepower, that is unless your going to laser vomit with it.....but its other loadouts? they made me laugh and cry...

Next is the topic of Clan weapons. People complain that clams just laser vomit everything to bits, and I reply, its cuz that is about the only truly good weapons the clans have.

Their ballistics overall just suck, high spread, pretty high jam rate...no one in their right mind takes them. Sure, they are lighter then the IS versions, but the other drawbacks massively out weigh that advantage. They have a better Gauss Rifle though, I will give you that.

The Missiles while they are lighter and all, they still spread more then IS ones so they deal less overall damage cuz you can avoid them better, plus AMS eats more of them, equalling the same end result. SRMs I have played with for several games, I just find them to slow to be worth much, thats partly due to my PC's overall inability to play this game well, and cuz they really are slow.

The CERPPC and the IS one are just not worth using in any form or fashion. The C one is lighter, but its still crap all the same, 10/15 is just not good maths. that 2.5/2.5 spread is pretty much pointless and irrelevant.

So that leaves clams using laser vomit....

SO while IS QQ about how OP the clans are, it leaves the clans to never see buffs or tweaks that would coax clammers to try other builds and mechs, so we are left in the endless loop...

#32 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

In game lore the Inner Sphere NEVER gets "Clan Mechs". They reverse engineer clan mechs to make inferior copies. Please correct me if I am wrong, I have not played TT in a long time but I think I read all the technical manuals.

Of course the start repairing salvaged and captured clan mechs and using them as soon as they find them on the battlefield, but they never build them from scratch.

Also, I suppose the Warden Clans would give mechs to IS houses. That is the year that they might become available but you couldnt just let every IS pilot use them.

Edited by MechWarrior5152251, 24 December 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#33 The Mechromancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 497 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

All the factions should be made to be more unique, not similar.

View PostMechWarrior5152251, on 24 December 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

In game lore the Inner Sphere NEVER gets "Clan Mechs". They reverse engineer clan mechs to make inferior copies. Please correct me if I am wrong, I have not played TT in a long time but I think I read all the technical manuals.

Of course the start repairing salvaged and captured clan mechs and using them as soon as they find them on the battlefield, but they never build them from scratch.

Also, I suppose the Warden Clans would give mechs to IS houses. That is the year that they might become available but you couldnt just let every IS pilot use them.

Correct, and the ones they gifted very rarely if ever made it into the hands of "Joe Shmoe" they were prized and given to important people.

Edited by The Mechromancer, 24 December 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#34 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

View PostBregor Edain, on 24 December 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

The Dragoons and Kell Hounds where allowed to salvage Clan omni mechs after the battle for Luthien and perhaps before that too. Granted, they where the best mercs around but this sets precedent.

That is true. I stand corrected.

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 24 December 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

Analysis

I understand what you're saying, and I agree with a big chunk of it. The good news is that clan quirks are coming soon. So most of those will be fixed

However, I think it's okay for the clans to be focused on laser builds for now. It's what's optimal for them, extreme long range, high damage over time set ups. (with modules they get pretty scary).

The main reason LOGICAL (this part is very important) people are saying the clans are OP in some regards isn't just centered around the TBR, and SCR (yes, the DWF can be scary, unless you know how to walk sideways, then it's just a 100 ton paperweight), it's centered around the map design for CW. The clan range advantage is made exponentially stronger in CW due to lack of proper cover. Most painfully obvious in the Boreal Vault, when the clans are defending, coupled with the advantage that the defending team already has.

It's not that the clans themselves are all OP, it's that the circumstances, especially in CW, make them /seem/ OP. They amplify their advantages.

That's what it really comes down to it. The clans don't need to get changed much, maybe not at all, if they just changed some of the circumstances around them. Also, the IS ML, and SL need their original heat back. That would drop down the heat for the ERML as well.

#35 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:49 PM

I know people that bought Clan mechs are kinda pissed they can't use them as IS. But I would rather people not simply be able to suddenly have an entire team of Clan mechs. I would rather see a salvage system be put in. Where you have to piece the mech chassis together. As well as any equipment.

Or just keep them separate. That's just me though.

#36 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:56 PM

If you wanted to use clan mechs you shouldnt have picked IS as your faction... PGI said a long time ago that IS and clan mechs wouldnt be interchangeable. It shouldnt have come as a surprise to anyone.

#37 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:48 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 24 December 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

That is true. I stand corrected.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree with a big chunk of it. The good news is that clan quirks are coming soon. So most of those will be fixed

However, I think it's okay for the clans to be focused on laser builds for now. It's what's optimal for them, extreme long range, high damage over time set ups. (with modules they get pretty scary).

The main reason LOGICAL (this part is very important) people are saying the clans are OP in some regards isn't just centered around the TBR, and SCR (yes, the DWF can be scary, unless you know how to walk sideways, then it's just a 100 ton paperweight), it's centered around the map design for CW. The clan range advantage is made exponentially stronger in CW due to lack of proper cover. Most painfully obvious in the Boreal Vault, when the clans are defending, coupled with the advantage that the defending team already has.

It's not that the clans themselves are all OP, it's that the circumstances, especially in CW, make them /seem/ OP. They amplify their advantages.

That's what it really comes down to it. The clans don't need to get changed much, maybe not at all, if they just changed some of the circumstances around them. Also, the IS ML, and SL need their original heat back. That would drop down the heat for the ERML as well.

Yeah, its more CW and the lack of any real choice in which way to approach the game. CW on attack is akin to the scenes in every Stalingrad based movie where the Russians charge into machineguns and get mowed down by thier own guys in the back.

CW needs to open up the map, make bigger maps and more, spread out objectives. CW needs to be more Battlefield/Planetside 2 gameplay where there is many places to go, many ways to win rather then like Battlefield 2142 Camp Gibraltar......1 avenue of approach.......it makes the Clans vast amount of guns seem alot more OP then they really are.

And if anyone is curious to see what truly "OP" looks like, play Everquest II and play a ShadowKnight....THAT is the definition of OP. Clans vs IS? Its actually not that far off from pretty balanced. Each are better or worse in their own rights.

Meanwhile, you want OP? Its the EQ2 SK. The SK is a Plate tank, who uses a 1 hand sword and a shield. He gets massive amounts of self healing, prolly, no joke, 90% of the skills he has heals himself. He can Evac his group in a bad situation, he can Feign Death, clearing aggro for himself in a bad situation. He can even revive himself should he die, this is at his group's health expense. The SK has immense amounts of DPS and DD. Hes even got a heal he can shoot on the group, its a reactive heal, requiring the mob to hit the player, but hes got that to. The SK also has a 60-80% snare to slow the enemy movement. Then, in dire situations he has a massive nuke he can call on that if you spec right, also heals the SK for like 35% of his health pool. Along side that if he gets swarmed he has like, no joke, 8 Area Effect spells, 1 of which is a massive life tap. So, you want OP? That is OP.....what we have as clans in MWO? Not even close.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 25 December 2014 - 02:04 AM.

#38 The Mechromancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 497 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:37 AM

View PostTezcatli, on 24 December 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

I know people that bought Clan mechs are kinda pissed they can't use them as IS. But I would rather people not simply be able to suddenly have an entire team of Clan mechs. I would rather see a salvage system be put in. Where you have to piece the mech chassis together. As well as any equipment.

Or just keep them separate. That's just me though.

IS players pissed they cant use $$$ clan mechs...

clan players pissed they cant use $$$ IS mechs...

its a 2-way street.

and its better this way.

#39 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:16 AM

It doesn't need to happen, eventually IS tech catches up.

Although Clans running embers and Thuds would be interesting!

#40 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:35 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 25 December 2014 - 01:48 AM, said:

Yeah, its more CW and the lack of any real choice in which way to approach the game. CW on attack is akin to the scenes in every Stalingrad based movie where the Russians charge into machineguns and get mowed down by thier own guys in the back.

CW needs to open up the map, make bigger maps and more, spread out objectives. CW needs to be more Battlefield/Planetside 2 gameplay where there is many places to go, many ways to win rather then like Battlefield 2142 Camp Gibraltar......1 avenue of approach.......it makes the Clans vast amount of guns seem alot more OP then they really are.

And if anyone is curious to see what truly "OP" looks like, play Everquest II and play a ShadowKnight....THAT is the definition of OP. Clans vs IS? Its actually not that far off from pretty balanced. Each are better or worse in their own rights.

Meanwhile, you want OP? Its the EQ2 SK. The SK is a Plate tank, who uses a 1 hand sword and a shield. He gets massive amounts of self healing, prolly, no joke, 90% of the skills he has heals himself. He can Evac his group in a bad situation, he can Feign Death, clearing aggro for himself in a bad situation. He can even revive himself should he die, this is at his group's health expense. The SK has immense amounts of DPS and DD. Hes even got a heal he can shoot on the group, its a reactive heal, requiring the mob to hit the player, but hes got that to. The SK also has a 60-80% snare to slow the enemy movement. Then, in dire situations he has a massive nuke he can call on that if you spec right, also heals the SK for like 35% of his health pool. Along side that if he gets swarmed he has like, no joke, 8 Area Effect spells, 1 of which is a massive life tap. So, you want OP? That is OP.....what we have as clans in MWO? Not even close.

What I'm envisioning for CW is large maps(and I mean massive, where the base is barely the size of a couple of grids while the map consists of roughly 110 grids or so) where there is the base with the main cannon, and that's the main objective. However, there are secondary objectives outside the base. that the attackers can threaten, and those tactical objectives have a bearing on the outcome of the match. Something that forces the defending team to risk a foray out of the base to defend them. Not because they lose the game if they don't defend them, but because losing them makes defense significantly harder.

THAT is what I want to see in CW. Then again, I also want the matches to have more than 12 mechs per team at a time. For these maps, I want something that's possibly the size of 2 companies deployed vs an equivalent clan force (or a cluster of 5-6 stars -between 2 to 3 binaries- if we can get lore deployments in the game). That would be an epic battle.

The main reason that I loved the Battlefield games (especially 2142, never got to play anything past it), and Planetside 1&2 was the large numbers, and the flexibility of tactics with our approaches towards an enemy base. The massive size of the maps allowed us to do that. Especially in PS2.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users