Survey On Clan Vs. Is Balance (When Comparing Only The Best Mechs Of Each)

57 replies to this topic

#1 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:21 AM

http://strawpoll.me/3254837

Remember that this only pertains to the very best mechs (in your opinion), not how they compare overall. It's not a forum poll because I have it linked on the outreach subreddit as well.

This is mainly to satisfy my own curiosity because I've seen players from both sides in CW claim both.

#2 Robin Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 337 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:23 AM

Voted.

#3 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:28 AM

Clan mechs outperforms IS mechs and it should be that way. Other balance options should be implemented in CW instead of trying to achieve tech balance.

#4 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:42 AM

Inbound for whiners with multiple account.

Ho I already see the lovely results made by guys unable to fight a Timber Wolf. X')

Do not worry OP. They will not forget the "Best Clans" part, but they will completly forget the "Best IS Mech" and will take in account there fight in there vindicator against a Dire Wolf to vote.

#5 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:47 AM

Ho I already see the lovely results made by guys unable to fight a Thunder Bolt. X')

Do not worry OP. They will not forget the "Best IS" part, but they will completly forget the "Best Clans" and will take in account there fight in there ice ferret against a King Crab to vote.

#6 Violent Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • 335 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:17 AM

If we go purely on the question at hand I had to say yeah the best clan mechs slightly outperform the best IS mechs, but having said that the top 2 tiers of IS (say split them into tiers of 3 mechs per tier) would have to outperform the top 2 clan tiers so all in all pretty even.. I think if IS pilots shoot off Clan arms more, they'll be fine. Everyone is still adapting to CW beta.

One of the things I think that is fantastic right now is that it is harder for me to kill a centurion in my huginn than it is to kill a direwolf and that when I'm in my IS light, I'm much more worries about a good ice ferret pilot than the same guy in a timberwolf.

Edited by Violent Nick, 24 December 2014 - 04:24 AM.

#7 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

I voted the IS stronger out peform the Clans. (Also is the stormcrow really the best clan medium mech? I haven't seen one in weeks unless I am in my one. My team seems to prefer having the nova instead and the occasional ice ferret)

I still have games with a duo off firestarters jump the defences and take out most of the generators before dying nad coming again in more firestarters.

It kinda makes me sad this iconic mech for flammers is rarely with a flammer... I kinda wish PGI makes a Tier 5 quirk for flamers while all the other quirks remain the same...

#8 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

View PostThe Boz, on 24 December 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

Ho I already see the lovely results made by guys unable to fight a Thunder Bolt. X')

Do not worry OP. They will not forget the "Best IS" part, but they will completly forget the "Best Clans" and will take in account there fight in there ice ferret against a King Crab to vote.

I saw what you did there.
(Strangely, I actually wanted to make that one too. Copycat!)

Edit: Heck, firestarter for the IS?
Man, you have just completly reversed what I had in my. Firestarters are OP. Nerf theeemm!
(My Adder refuse to get out of the mechbay since he encountered one.)

Edited by KuroNyra, 24 December 2014 - 04:19 AM.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:10 AM

Voted. And the result was as expected. The Clan mechs still has the edge when it comes to what counts in the drop deck.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 December 2014 - 06:11 AM.

#10 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:12 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 24 December 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

Voted. And the result was as expected. The Clan mechs still has the edge when it comes to what counts in the drop deck.

Now, we just need to know how many of the guys who voted for that actually used Clans mech before.
I'm pretty sur it is not more than 1 or 2% of them.

After all, it is too much for them to actually learn the capacity of there ennemy. :rolleyes:

#11 GeistHrafn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMB, Canada

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:20 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 24 December 2014 - 06:12 AM, said:

Now, we just need to know how many of the guys who voted for that actually used Clans mech before.

After all, it is too much for them to actually learn the capacity of there ennemy. :rolleyes:

I own both clan and IS mechs. My unit, whom I am loyal to, went FRR (at least for now), locking me into IS mechs.
Given the choice, I'd take a clan deck over IS any day, based on my personal experience with both. I guess i am the 1-2%.

#12 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:33 AM

View PostRhazien, on 24 December 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

I own both clan and IS mechs. My unit, whom I am loyal to, went FRR (at least for now), locking me into IS mechs.
Given the choice, I'd take a clan deck over IS any day, based on my personal experience with both. I guess i am the 1-2%.

Well, it depend on the point of view for the preference. I am a Clanner personnatly, but I would rather use a IS mech over a Clan mech. (That include the Timber Wolf, can't do something good with that ones. So far I only liked the Dire Wolf in Pugs.)

The Clans are harder to use, if you manage to do well, you will have a more dangerous mech. They were thought that way when implemented ingame.

But most of the people voting against the Clans Mech don't even used them and think that every Clan mech are OP.
Some of them would gladly say the Ice Ferret is OP because it's Clan.
You can be sur there is that type of guy who voted for the first option. Personatly, I voted for the second one.
"The best Clan mechs slightly outperform the best IS mechs"

But the first one? Nah, it's BS. Especially since the quircks. And that is not a point of view. It is a fact. But of course you will have the countless protector of the Clans Mechs are completly OP blablabla

Edited by KuroNyra, 24 December 2014 - 06:35 AM.

#13 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:51 AM

Timberwolf is more versatile than the dumb-quirked thunderbolts, but they stomp it when it comes to MPLAS/ERPPCs, but the Timberwolf does everything else better.

Stormcrow's just stupid.

Direwolf and the King Crab are mostly even, I'd say. UAC/5 King Crab is a vicious, hellish nightmare.

Edited by Walluh, 24 December 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#14 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:18 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 24 December 2014 - 06:12 AM, said:

I have T-Wolfes and Crows and I think they are too good for their weight. They have the durability of a class above them, along with appropriate firepower, while retaining incredible mobility. The IS mechs that I piloted for a long time with similar tonnage must sacrifice durability or firepower for that speed or sacrifice speed for firepower.

Direwhale has noticeable trade offs for its power, but Timbie and Crow? Nothing worth mentioning.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 December 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#15 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 24 December 2014 - 07:18 AM, said:

I have T-Wolfes and Crows and I think they are too good for their weight. They have the durability of a class above them, along with appropriate firepower, while retaining incredible mobility. The IS mechs that I piloted for a long time with similar tonnage must sacrifice durability or firepower for that speed or sacrifice speed for firepower.

Direwhale has noticeable trade offs, but Timbie and Crow? Nothing worth mentioning.

With its twelve tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor and arsenal that rivaled that of most assault 'Mechs of the era,

It should be expected from the Timber Wolf to have them resilient, they are supposed to be resistant.
But have you spoke about there tremendous heat they create for there loadout?
Theses things are jack-of-all trade, but are far from being invincible. You can be glad they are don't run cooler than IS mech like they are supposed to do in the Lore.

Same goes for all the Others Clans mech.

The Timber Wolf was supposed to be fast, powerful and resilient. (In all others MW games, theses things were able to meet face to face an Atlas.)
The problem is to balance it while retaining what make a Timber Wolf... A Timber Wolf.

Basicly, how could we reduce his "OPness" without killing what make a Mad Cat. That mech no matter what happen should be feared on the battlefield. Like an Atlas is or a Dire Wolf is.

The Stormcrow is a sort-of Mad Cat for the Mediums.
Changing the Heat and make him even more hotter would basicly kill that mech. That thing is like the summoner swimming in hot lava.
Remove his firepower, same thing. It would be to take away the LRMS from a Catapult C1 or the Huch of a Hunchback G.
Speed? Clans mech were suppose to be fast f*ckers and should keep that.

Probably reduce the resistance, that could be a start. But need to be careful on that ground. If they reduce it too much, there won't be a point for that mech.

It need to keep what is make it good.
I don't want to see one of the most Iconic mech reduce to pile of garbage thanks to the cry of kids not able to deal with it, like it has been the case in others games for others iconic stuff.

Edited by KuroNyra, 24 December 2014 - 07:32 AM.

#16 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

Voted that IS strongly outperforms Clans .

Why ?
Sit two identically good pilots with identical pings into a class of your choice with meta-builds and have them go for it .
IS should be winning in 6-7 out of ten due to better heatmanagement capability with quirkings and way lower time of exposition out of cover for poke-shots, which especially counts in close matches where every last point of damage counts .

#17 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:52 AM

To stop the haters.

I am no against a Nerf for the StormCrow and the Timber Wolf.
But am I completly against unreasonable nerf that will nothing more than kill them.

Theses guys are, must, and should stay tier 1 mechs.

#18 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:54 AM

Bah you guys are noobs.

IS Wub is destroying everything these days.

#19 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 24 December 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

Bah you guys are noobs.

IS Wub is destroying everything these days.

Yeah but they should not destroy... But disintigrate for most of them. :rolleyes:

#20 Sethliopod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationInside the smoking wreck.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:11 AM

I like where you're going Rad, but I think the problem lies with the expected player choices and skills.

Take two identically new, bad, or average players (you know, the majority of the MWO population, myself included) and give them each the best chassis of their faction. The Clan player will win far more often. Why? Because he is less able to screw up his build, having had many options to make the wrong choice taken away from him. He is able to carry more (lighter, smaller) fire power and heat sinks. He will be able to engage better at longer range, often with no concern for ammo.With LRMs, he can ignore minimum ranges and still inflict some damage. And yes, he will probably overheat more, but his sweet XL engine won't be punishing him with a loss when he loses a side torso.

New and average players: Clan mechs are better. Better players: I'm not sure.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users