Post Quirkening, What Is Your Absolute Favorite Mech (And Build) To Run?

103 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:18 AM

The quirkening has changed a lot of things. Some mechs, possibly stupidly broke, lol, others, have quirks that just leave you scratching your head.

For some, it's love affair with a whole new chassis, for others, it's an old flame rekindled.

For me? It's my very first mech. All the way back in CB, when the Founder's program was offered, I originally bought an Elite Package (I think) and chose the HBK-4G(P) Hunchback.
I really sucked in it, so bought the Legendary to get to the Catapult and Atlas. The discovered Centurions, and forgot all about my first mech.

Some time after Open Beta, I revisited it, and started running the Can Opener, and did well. But between Shadow Hawks and Griffins, etc, the poor ol Hunchie started gathering dust again.

And then? The Quirkening.

Finally, the HBK-4G was able to perform the role it was intended for. You see, the original TT design was a relatively slow, moderately armored mech, but carried a big enough gun that it was a credible threat even to Assault Mechs, in CQB. The problem? When MWO doubled armor (and eventually added DHS, XL Engines, etc), the HBK quite simp.ly lost it's punch. It still hit OK, but Assault Mechs in general only worried if there armor was already damaged.

The, the Quirks arrived. And the crying began. Yes, the HBK fires it's ac20 considerably faster than before. It finally hits like it is supposed to. And yet, it still moves at Assault Mech speed, with Medium Mech armor. It still has a ridiculously short range. The mech is fraught with flaws and exploitable weaknesses.

But it does that ONE THING real well. And I have had more fun hunting in it than in any other chassis in the game. My stats are not great (only a 2.72 KDr, 382 avg damage in 139 matches), but the challenge and results are enough.

How about you?

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:23 AM

I spend an ungodly amount of time in my shadowhawks, which don't have quirks.

Quirks made me buy formerly truly trash robots, like the wolverine.

#3 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:27 AM

The old Founders Hunch went back to being my favorite. I love anything with an AC20 as its primary shooty.

#4 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:01 AM

I really enjoy my Wolverine 6R. I get that the Wubverine is a better Mech, technically speaking, but I love my rapid-fire AC5 and SRM14 torso blast... With cockpit ML backup, natch.

I love it because it's very much a stock style load out, but it _works_.

I also really love piloting my hunchies (4G,4P,4SP). I miss my griffins, which I love but feel got the short end of the QuirkStick.

My YLW is amazing (though it already was).

What I find happening? I've a clan tag, and a clan unit. But when I'm solo dropping, I do it in IS Mechs now, because they're more fun.

#5 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:16 AM

Gaussphract 3D, Banshee 3S with Gauss/AC20 + 2xLL + 6xML and Banshee 3E with 2xUAC5 + 2xAC2 + 4xML.

The only mech I bought because of quirks was 9S and it appeared to be worse than dual Gauss Cataphract and will probably be nerfed anyways.

And my absolute favorite mech was Gauss + ERPPC Shadowhawk, but someone very smart decided that single gauss and single PPC combo was too OP.

Edited by kapusta11, 26 December 2014 - 01:19 AM.

#6 MoonfireSpam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:27 AM

Grid Iron - Gauss 3MPL XL 275
Thunderbolt - Gauss 2ERPPC XL300

Gotten decent results with both in PUGworld

Edited by MoonfireSpam, 26 December 2014 - 01:27 AM.

#7 SerratedBlaze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:46 AM

Huggin mostly, so much woosh. The AC20 hunchie still takes a while to reload (i'll see if module fixes that enough soon) and my catapults have improved, but aren't overwhelming. I bought the wolverines and do well with the wub, AC5 isn't my best weapon but the mech functions reasonably.

Oh and the thunderbolt 9S. I used to use it as a supporty AC10, lrm10, tag bap ml. now it's replaced my K2 for PPCs and does one hell of a job.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:21 AM

This guy. Jester MK II. It makes Lurmers cry. Also, has good vomiting with minimal heat issue. Just stay near the vanguard and provide both offensive and defensive support. Might buy the 4N later for LLaser quirk.

Posted Image

And this guy. He is my best money earner IS mech. Lurm all the things, and when the enemy comes near, thinking I have little back up weapons, I give him the Triple LPL facial.

Posted Image

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 December 2014 - 12:18 AM, said:

My stats are not great (only a 2.72 KDr, 382 avg damage in 139 matches), but the challenge and results are enough.

Show off. <_< My 4P has 0.25 KDR.

Edited by El Bandito, 26 December 2014 - 02:45 AM.

#9 Erkki

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:39 AM

Like you Bishop Steiner, my favourite mech is still my first one, also the Hunchback, and its P and G variants.

G I run with AC20(3½ ammo) + 3 ML, STD235 engine.
P has 8 ML(right arm missing one), STD275 engine. ML range and Radar Dep. modules

Looks like I wasn't born to be an assault or heavy pilot. My two Hunchback murder & mayhem brothers have easily the highest K/D and W/L ratios, talking about more than twice as high as the next ones, of all my mechs.

I'm also growing to like the Grifin GRF-1E Sparky, with the chest-mounted lasers and winged shield arms it seems to play like something between the HBK-4P and a Centurion and has a lot of potential to me.

#10 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:42 AM

treb 3c with lrm15

40% lrm CD........... i can get nearly 3 salvo out before the average mech gets the second one out. thats hidden op! imo.

tip 1: is to do your own spotting since you are relatively manoeuvrable; spot, tag and do tons of damage.

tip 2: don't be afraid to do a 1v1 face off, once the first salvo hits; their cockpit will be shaking all over and that's when you start to realize they can hardly hit you back.

tip 3: when in doubt test with chain fire, otherwise alpha all the time.

tip 4: look for big/ slow threatening targets.

tip 5: bring a tag....... im still testing how effective bap is but tag is a must.

#11 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:44 AM

I really like the KGC and the TDR-5SS is quite fun. The Ilya Muromets has always been my most-used but I've never had more fun than showing up in that Atlas-S (previously the D-DC) and unloading every SRM I have into the rear torso of an otherwise engaged mech, then doing it again if they survive to turn and face me. The brawl is real.

#12 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:56 AM

WubJack.

BJ1X with 2LPL, 3MLAS. Fast, nice high mounted arms, and the LPLs have an insane refire rate, awesome short duration, and are essentially heat neutral.

Fragile as hell, but an amazing rogue.

#13 stocky0904

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:01 AM

Best mechs for me after the quirks are my

KTO-18 (5x lrm5, 2x mpl)

KTO-GB (4x lrm5, 3x mpl)

AWS-9M (2x erppc, 1x ppc)

RVN-2X (4x mpl)

mastered and with all the necessary modules.

My Griffins and Shadowhawks are the losers of the quirk lottery (only the SDH-2D works fine for me atm). But the above mechs are mechs for PUG. CW needs other mechs (but the KTOs are ok for defend).

#14 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:28 AM

I'm playing my Catapult K2 much more. I actually like it post quirk. I now call her...Blue Lightning!

I'm a bit hazy on the details (being at work on my phone, I have no access to my game). Its basically the following...

Blue Lightning:
Endo, DHS with an XL295 engine (80.1 kph with XP mastered).
2 PPCs and 2 LPLasers.
Have both PPC and LPLaser cooldown modules.

I want to say heat efficiency is in the mid 1.2 range (maybe 1.26).

The 2 PPCs are now usable for fire support. I can hang back a bit and rip shots wich has done wonders for survivability. Dual ballistics is nice, but the high mount arms allow you to shoot and still be behind cover. Its a nice change.

I chose 2 LPLasers as a followup because they hit hard with a short duration. The K2 also gets a small energy duration quirk, so LPLaser have even a smaller duration. Plus, I have better luck hitting light swarmers with 2LPLasers vs a large ballistic. The alpha is nice with this setup too.

P.S.
Another real nice build is the Metaman.
2 PPCs, 2MLasers and 1 A/C10

2 PPCs and an A/C10 for ranged alpha strike goodness, or an A/C10 and 2MLasers for closer targets.

In any case, the K2 is getting used again. As a Catapult pilot, that makes me happy.

#15 Wolfgang2685

• PipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 69 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:34 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 26 December 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:

I spend an ungodly amount of time in my shadowhawks, which don't have quirks.

Quirks made me buy formerly truly trash robots, like the wolverine.

6k and 7k were trash to me before, used the 6r like a flying hunchback prequirk.

Then quirks happened and they gave the 7k the quirks that i wanted on my 6r....

Long story short, after quirks i sold the 6R. 7K is now a flying hunchback, and 6k is completely ******** with either those 500+m Lpulse, or noheatlol mpulse.

Amazing mech, i hope people start seeing that it's direct competition for stormcrows now.

As for my absolute favorite after quirk mech? Orion-M.
My standard config on it now is 3xERllas, 1x Gauss with XL350. It's a seriously fast sniper for a heavy and keeps nice and cool with the quirks.

Orion K with the same setup wont have the heat efficiency, but it will rival the sheer range of clan CERLlas.

Prequirk my fav mech was the CTF-3D, and right now i'd argue that it needs minor AC and laser quirks on the order of 5-10%.

Edited by Wolfgang2685, 26 December 2014 - 03:39 AM.

#16 PitchBlackYeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:58 AM

CN9-AL

Some of you may bash me for an XL in a CN9 but its the buid that works best for me. The SRMs are there for extra punch when I lose the LL arm, AMS for shielding teammates that are too slow to take cover, you can dump it for an extra DHS that doesn't change much.

Alternate version for STD engine fans: CN9-AL

#17 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:05 AM

View PostPitchBlackYeti, on 26 December 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:

CN9-AL

Some of you may bash me for an XL in a CN9 but its the buid that works best for me. The SRMs are there for extra punch when I lose the LL arm, AMS for shielding teammates that are too slow to take cover, you can dump it for an extra DHS that doesn't change much.

I wouldn't bash you for an XL in a Cent, I do the same. There was a time when Zombie Cents were nicer (when the hitboxes were borked), but now the zombie Cent isn't as desirable.

To me, the a centurion is a bit big and therefore should compensate with speed. An XL seems like the right choice to me.

BTW, like the build.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 26 December 2014 - 04:06 AM.

#18 Wolfgang2685

• PipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 69 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:31 AM

View PostPitchBlackYeti, on 26 December 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:

CN9-AL

You make me want the AL so bad, waiting for mechbay sale.

I have the 2 freebie cents they gave out but no third, the AL is the one I really really want. Also been waiting to try out the 3LLas variant of the AL.

#19 PitchBlackYeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:32 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 26 December 2014 - 04:05 AM, said:

To me, the a centurion is a bit big and therefore should compensate with speed. An XL seems like the right choice to me.

BTW, like the build.

I also think that the extra speed is worth the higher vulnerability. More speed=more damage spread from laser vomits. Heres proof that it can bite back pretty well :)

Posted Image

Edited by PitchBlackYeti, 26 December 2014 - 06:41 AM.

#20 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:27 AM

I thought the quirks would send me back to my Hunchback, and for a while, it did. I still love the 4P Swayback... but honestly. The beautiful Yen Lo Wang is awesome. Just awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users