Post Quirkening, What Is Your Absolute Favorite Mech (And Build) To Run?

103 replies to this topic

#21 GeistHrafn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMB, Canada

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:53 AM

Thunderwub 7mpl, HBK-4P basically stock 9 mlas, and 4SP 5mlas, 2 ASRM-6's. All three are solid mechs.
By far tho, quirks or not, 2LPL 4MLas Timby is my fav mech, hands down.

Edited by Rhazien, 26 December 2014 - 05:54 AM.

#22 Latorque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:00 AM

The DRG-1N. I held out on my Flame as long as possible; i plainly loved the mix of speed and solid skirmishing damage it was sometimes able to dish out - but 1xLB10X and 4xMLas doesn't really cut it anymore... and along came the 1N!

A dragon that assaults pull back from once you start holding down that sweet AC-5 Trigger; and my teammates complain about that weird booming noise transferring from my headphones :D .

Unfortunately not a hero mech; so i mostly pilot the Ember as long as my free premium time allows to rake in C-Bills.

#23 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:04 AM

5SPL LCT-3M. The most nimble chassis in the game and a 20pt alpha that cycles insanely fast and hits nearly 200M range. It's atill a LCT, but it is a LCT that actually can be really effective if played well.

My first choice if I'm playing just for fun.

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:07 AM

View PostErkki, on 26 December 2014 - 02:39 AM, said:

Like you Bishop Steiner, my favourite mech is still my first one, also the Hunchback, and its P and G variants.

G I run with AC20(3½ ammo) + 3 ML, STD235 engine.
P has 8 ML(right arm missing one), STD275 engine. ML range and Radar Dep. modules

Looks like I wasn't born to be an assault or heavy pilot. My two Hunchback murder & mayhem brothers have easily the highest K/D and W/L ratios, talking about more than twice as high as the next ones, of all my mechs.

I'm also growing to like the Grifin GRF-1E Sparky, with the chest-mounted lasers and winged shield arms it seems to play like something between the HBK-4P and a Centurion and has a lot of potential to me.

nearly identical, except I run a 225 std, so I can carry 4.5 tons ammo.

#25 Bromineberry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:07 AM

My favourite Mech after the quirkening is the same mech as before the quirkening. I didn't even change the loadout, it just got better due to the quirks:

Thunderbolt 5SS, without any Pulselaser

#26 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:10 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 26 December 2014 - 03:28 AM, said:

I'm playing my Catapult K2 much more. I actually like it post quirk. I now call her...Blue Lightning!

I'm a bit hazy on the details (being at work on my phone, I have no access to my game). Its basically the following...

Blue Lightning:
Endo, DHS with an XL295 engine (80.1 kph with XP mastered).
2 PPCs and 2 LPLasers.
Have both PPC and LPLaser cooldown modules.

I want to say heat efficiency is in the mid 1.2 range (maybe 1.26).

The 2 PPCs are now usable for fire support. I can hang back a bit and rip shots wich has done wonders for survivability. Dual ballistics is nice, but the high mount arms allow you to shoot and still be behind cover. Its a nice change.

I chose 2 LPLasers as a followup because they hit hard with a short duration. The K2 also gets a small energy duration quirk, so LPLaser have even a smaller duration. Plus, I have better luck hitting light swarmers with 2LPLasers vs a large ballistic. The alpha is nice with this setup too.

P.S.
Another real nice build is the Metaman.
2 PPCs, 2MLasers and 1 A/C10

2 PPCs and an A/C10 for ranged alpha strike goodness, or an A/C10 and 2MLasers for closer targets.

In any case, the K2 is getting used again. As a Catapult pilot, that makes me happy.

I was just testing my bone stock, SHS packing K2 in the testing grounds last night. You can get an impressive number of PPC volleys off with SHS in that thing.

If they'd ever fix it's itty bitty PPC issue, it would be in regular rotation again.

#27 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:10 AM

G4, glorious brawler. ac20/3ml/std260

#28 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:12 AM

My old favorites are still my favorites. The quirks made other variants more playable, and in some cases made my old favorites more devastating.

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:13 AM

View PostPitchBlackYeti, on 26 December 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:

CN9-AL

Some of you may bash me for an XL in a CN9 but its the buid that works best for me. The SRMs are there for extra punch when I lose the LL arm, AMS for shielding teammates that are too slow to take cover, you can dump it for an extra DHS that doesn't change much.

Alternate version for STD engine fans: CN9-AL

Nope, I'm not a wannabe tryhard living in Open Beta.

I've ALWAYS run an XL in Centurions, and always a big gun in the Right Arm. And Always killed those stupid "zombie" Cent's with my fragile XL Cents.

Fly that XL banner proud! Cent's twist and absorb damage more than well enough to use XLs. Something that my HBK sure can't claim, lol! (And man do I enjoy running my CN9-D a ton now, too!)

#30 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:21 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 26 December 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

I thought the quirks would send me back to my Hunchback, and for a while, it did. I still love the 4P Swayback... but honestly. The beautiful Yen Lo Wang is awesome. Just awesome.

Indeed...though for me, I thought the YLWs speed would make it the obvious choice.... (I mean, hey I been running the thing since literally the moment it was available, in CB), but found myself always going back to the Hunch.

It's not fast, though at 80 can still flank a lot of larger units. But it's agility is fantastic, and that high mount cannon lets me peek and run real nice.

That's one thing I do love, is the HBKs ALL got a lot of love to do exactly what each model was meant to do, and yet also do well with their base tier "generic" quirks.

Only one I don't have ATM is the Partyback, which never really suited me anyhow.

View PostTerciel1976, on 26 December 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

5SPL LCT-3M. The most nimble chassis in the game and a 20pt alpha that cycles insanely fast and hits nearly 200M range. It's atill a LCT, but it is a LCT that actually can be really effective if played well.

My first choice if I'm playing just for fun.

Nice! Been meaning to dust off my Mario Karts again. I was spectating a dude in a 1V and that er large was cycling FAST, too. Looks like a challenging fun little mech, again.

View PostBromineberry, on 26 December 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

My favourite Mech after the quirkening is the same mech as before the quirkening. I didn't even change the loadout, it just got better due to the quirks:

Thunderbolt 5SS, without any Pulselaser

About half of my mechs, I didn't really "feel" the quirks on, so I just reverted back to my standby builds, and in all, they still get a net improvement, so no complaints, either.

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 26 December 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

G4, glorious brawler. ac20/3ml/std260

I really don't want to know your ammo/armor levels, do I?

#31 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:35 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 December 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

I really don't want to know your ammo/armor levels, do I?

And that's the reason why it's glorious!!! :D

#32 Fubbit

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:59 AM

Same as before the quirks: HBK-4G. I did strip some armor off to load 4 tons of ammo.

Post quirks and with a lot of sharks in the CW queue instead of the pug queue, it's a turkey shoot.

#33 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:11 AM

The Quirkening solidified my de facto favorite mech...

Quickdraw -5K. :wub:

​4 x lLas + XL300 + JJ + all modules = a beautiful / semi-fragile skirmisher that fits my playstyle like a flipping glove.

(I'm really hoping I can tune my Zeus as tightly as I have my Quckie) :ph34r:

#34 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:12 AM

Well lets see the Firestarter A went from trash to favorite brawly light mech

I ditched my Jenner F for the Firestarter H.

I changed my Treb 7M from an ERLL boat to an LRM boat.

Those are three things I never thought would have happened before the quirks.

#35 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:25 AM

Heavy Metal since inception, quirks helped the build a bit. But I just can't get the same results in any other mech as consistently!

#36 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:26 AM

I was always a huge fan of the Hunchbacks, quirks just made them better. My founders 4G is lovely with AC20 quirks, the J is a lrm beast now, even the Grid Iron is better (though I liked the UAC quirks better than gauss). The one chassis I really got back into prior to the KGCs coming out (been playing those exclusively to master them up) was the locust. The quirks have made them an absolute joy to pilot.

#37 Wolfwood592

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 505 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:34 AM

Light - Commando TDK

Medium - Hunchback 4G

Heavy - Orion 1M

Assault - Atlas BH

I have loved my Boar's Head since day once. If I had to choose a single mech to pilot to the end, this would be it.

#38 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:23 AM

Quirks saw me invest in Thunderbolts, which I had never wanted to touch previously (and even with the fantastic 5SS and 9S they are still huge blocky targets that have poor agility).

I really enjoy the Banshee 3M post quirks.

It's nice to be able to play Firestarters that aren't the Ember, the S is probably my favorite variant right now.

I still love my barely quirked Misery.

#39 PurpleNinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

Dua SRM4 Huggin.

#40 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:49 AM

Playing with the Hunchback 4P now. First time I have really run it post-quirks. It's doing some work. I'm really pleased! I've had a few 500+ DMG rounds and one game with 4 kills. I like it.

P.S. still a bit hot, but I installed a snow globe in the cockpit. The globe reduces heat by 10% :)

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users