Post Quirkening, What Is Your Absolute Favorite Mech (And Build) To Run?

103 replies to this topic

#61 Alekzander Smirnoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

The Pretty Baby, I've had my AWS's for a long time, the 8T was my absolute favorite for carting a tag in the head, 4ml on the arms and Alrm15's. I stuffed them in the closet and utterly scoffed at the PB when It was released, now, with the quirks, and this, loaded on it. Its a freaking LL vomiting machine, its like carrying four of the damn things with no ghost heat and nearly ERLL range with the modules! Used properly (I hang back from the crowd like any AWS pilot worth their salt) its an utter wrecking machine! Factor in use of arm lock, adv zoom module, and other fun stuff (LRM), targets don't seem to comprehend I've done quite a bit of damage before they start backing out. Up close the LL vomit continues while adding the ML and SRM's into the mix when heat allows.

#62 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

My Misery is my favorite. Though I also love my pirate's bane, I run it totally stock, and my Locust 3M

#63 Manei Domini Krigg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,005 posts
  • Locationred team

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:57 PM

View PostFlak Kannon, on 26 December 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

Easy one.

Dragon 1N
Huggin

The rate of DPS on these two builds is just north of insane with them Master'ed and cooldown module'd... Feels unfair at times.

Hit 1400 damage and 6 kills 2 times with my 1N in my first 5 drops with it post quirk.

Posted Image
Not one mech - this is 4 mechs each withs his mechbay, engine, modules.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Krigg, 26 December 2014 - 10:04 PM.

#64 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:11 PM

My favorite is the cicada 2A. The speed coupled with the medium laser quirks give the mech a pretty substantial advantage in a brawl.

#65 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:14 PM

All the non ECM cicadas are my favorites for pugstomping and clanwars postquirk.

2B is just a monster. I average 700-800dmg and several kills a match with this mech. The problem with most pilots is they tend to try to use the cicada as a light mech. Thats wrong its a medium and you need to use it as such. Its a striker mech and fast peek a boo is what it excels at. Combination of speed, firepower, and mpl quirks make it the best medium under 55tons in my opinion. It can rip through an assualt because of the minimal facetime combined with pinpoint mpl quirks and modules. You can carry hard with this mech if your good.

2A is pretty good. Level 5 cooldown cuts the burntime down to almost wub levels. Range mod gives it about a 360m range for max dmg. Its not bad at all though it still runs a little hot. Good speed, decent alpha, and low facetime make it a good support mech for a push and supporting heavies.

3C....Used to be one of the worst mechs in the game. Post quirks have vaulted it up to the best sniper medium or light in the game. Level 5 range module gives it a whooping 1100m range on the ERPPC. I may be wrong but I believe thats the longest range of any direct fire weapon in the game. Level 5 cooldown gives it a rate of fire just slightly slower than an AC5. Best part about it is with the heat quirks the mech will never get hot just firing the ERPPC. My third clanwars drop I brought this mech. I was Marik and dropped with the 1st Marik Guards against HHoD on the snowmap. I positioned myself 1100m off the b gate and was literally untouchable as I pounded them rushing through. There was just nothing they could do at that range to counter my fire as i machinegunned them with the ERPPC. Also the PPC velocity is almost prenerf levels. Almost instantaneous hits with very little lead.

Edited by beerandasmoke, 26 December 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#66 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:35 AM

My absolute favorite? That's a tough one. It's really close between the BJ-1X and the BJ-Arrow. The former gets Medium Lasers with bonus range and beam duration almost as short as Large Pulse Lasers. It also gets that benefit in addition to being the fastest well-armed medium on a Standard engine with decent cooling, bar none. It's really hard to do poorly in it.

The Arrow, on the other hand, is just tons of fun hosing down targets in a deadly torrent of MG fire with a 23-point burst every three seconds. It's just so shreddy! Almost every round in it is a hoot and, with the revamped modules and lasers, the wub build has become more deadly than my old LB-10X, AC/5, or AC/2 variants ever were. It's fantastic.

In the end, I think I have to choose the BJ-1X, simply for the utility afforded by its great speed. It's just incredibly reliable at what it does.

The Locust was also in the running for favorite 'Mech post-quirks, but said quirks have taken a lot of the thrill out. It's almost too easy, now, and you see one or two every game. The rockstar effect has disappeared. I think it moved over to the Mist Lynx. :P

#67 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:33 AM

I would have to say the Hunchback-4J. That thing just vomits LRMs. With two LRM10s, I can fire them at the same speed as a Trollcat. In fact, the only issue I have with it now is the limited ammo. STD200, with the mandatory two extra heatsinks, Max Armor, Endo, 5 small Lasers, a TAG, and everything else is ammo. Still, it's hilarious when something tries to chase you down, and you just turn and waddle away at 75kph, while firing over your shoulder. With the insane torso twist, and arm swing, you can fire at anything that tries to chase you.

#68 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:50 AM

WVR-6K wub wub. I've got a whole folder full of screenshots like this.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
LOL Just got this one, new record.
Posted Image

Edited by lsp, 27 December 2014 - 04:27 AM.

#69 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:15 AM

I really wanne share my new found love but I cant, because then everybody would run it and ppl would soon realize how ridiculously strong that mech and its loadout is.

It is scary what I can do with it and hands down the most fun to run right now.

If too many play it it will be nerfed.

I know thats totally stupid but u dont know how much I luv this mech. I dont want it to be nerfed. I want it to stay like it is. So I wont direct any attention at it haha.

#70 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:16 AM

View PostThunder Child, on 27 December 2014 - 03:33 AM, said:

I would have to say the Hunchback-4J. That thing just vomits LRMs. With two LRM10s, I can fire them at the same speed as a Trollcat. In fact, the only issue I have with it now is the limited ammo. STD200, with the mandatory two extra heatsinks, Max Armor, Endo, 5 small Lasers, a TAG, and everything else is ammo. Still, it's hilarious when something tries to chase you down, and you just turn and waddle away at 75kph, while firing over your shoulder. With the insane torso twist, and arm swing, you can fire at anything that tries to chase you.

I run mine like this. HBK-4J It's my second favorite HBK, after the 4G.

It is light on ammo, but as long as I don't spam, it does pretty good, and usually by the time I run out, things are squishy enough for the lasers. The added speed though is pretty huge for me.

#71 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:57 AM

This thread delivers.

It shows how (despite it's misses in places) the Quirkening really helped IS mechs. The variety of mechs and loadouts you see now is amazing. At no prior point in the game's development - at least since I started in 2012 - has the "meta" included such a diverse set of mechs and loadouts.

Sure, each particular variant (note, variant, not chassis) has it's own "meta build" but the end result is a massive diversity of "usable" (if you will) chassis in game.

Finally, we don't have a world where the best mechs are whichever mechs can mount the Loadout Of The Month (see: AC5/PPC builds a few months ago). What's more, even in a game chock full of Timberwolves and Stormcrows, there are lots of highly competitive IS mechs. And if you're not looking at only the very most competitive, but rather the much wider set of perfectly usable and non-team-gimping mechs, there are a hell of a lot of really awesome IS mechs. Even Dragons and Awesomes.

That this thread exists, and has so many great builds, makes me so happy.

#72 Pacifist

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:22 AM

Certainly not the meta but I have a range of IS mechs and the one I'm having the most fun with is a
Jager S with AC-20, 1 ML, 2MG, and 3 Flamers.

It's not CW viable by any means but on the pub circuit it plays decently and I'm keeping a positive K/D.
Adapting to the proper play style is difficult but rewarding every time a mech shuts down in front of you.

Edited by Pacifist, 27 December 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#73 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 27 December 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

This thread delivers.

It shows how (despite it's misses in places) the Quirkening really helped IS mechs. The variety of mechs and loadouts you see now is amazing. At no prior point in the game's development - at least since I started in 2012 - has the "meta" included such a diverse set of mechs and loadouts.

Sure, each particular variant (note, variant, not chassis) has it's own "meta build" but the end result is a massive diversity of "usable" (if you will) chassis in game.

Finally, we don't have a world where the best mechs are whichever mechs can mount the Loadout Of The Month (see: AC5/PPC builds a few months ago). What's more, even in a game chock full of Timberwolves and Stormcrows, there are lots of highly competitive IS mechs. And if you're not looking at only the very most competitive, but rather the much wider set of perfectly usable and non-team-gimping mechs, there are a hell of a lot of really awesome IS mechs. Even Dragons and Awesomes.

That this thread exists, and has so many great builds, makes me so happy.

Exactly, and agreed.

Are there still some tweaks that need to be done? Sure. But on the whole, I really like where the game is for diversity. And heck, half my mechs don't even follow the "meta" quirks for the chassis, because they don't fit my playstyle. And yet are still either viable, or better, so in all, win win.

#74 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 27 December 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

Finally, we don't have a world where the best mechs are whichever mechs can mount the Loadout Of The Month (see: AC5/PPC builds a few months ago).

Wait what?
Whenever i see one of the bigger comp teams play IS, they are using Thunderbolt 9S all over the place. Peek one second, have 25 ERPPCs flying into your direction.
I'd really wish to know what PGI thought doing those quirks. The PPC meta reigned supreme for years, they stopped it by brutally nerfing the PPC, and then they give the 9S this utterly absurd 50% er ppc heat reduction combined 15% velocity, making the ERPPC on it pretty much better than the PPC was before the nerf.

Watched a bit of jager stream (IS vs IS CW), and the amount of ERPPCS flying around seemed to rival the past days of PPC+x meta. IMO those excessive ERPPC buffs for the 9S were a step back in weapon and mechbalance (especially when looking at IS vs IS)

Edited by meteorol, 27 December 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#75 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 December 2014 - 06:16 AM, said:

I run mine like this. HBK-4J It's my second favorite HBK, after the 4G.

It is light on ammo, but as long as I don't spam, it does pretty good, and usually by the time I run out, things are squishy enough for the lasers. The added speed though is pretty huge for me.

Mines not too different to yours Bishop. The only major change, is the extra tonnage from the engine goes into BAP, and a little bit more ammo. I found I was running out far too early, but then, I have the damned thing on chainfire, and as soon as I have a reliable lock, it's missiles away (reliable, as in either I'm spotting it myself, or it's a solid engagement like a whal in the water, or whatever).

#76 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:09 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 December 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

and also exposes you a lot more. I'm guilty of it too....trying to squeeze in that extra shot before twisting or ducking for cover...... that's when I tend to eat a lot of return fire.... by getting greedy.

Don't get me wrong, used intelligently, the RoF quirks can be huge. But considering how bad a staring problem most people have in MWO to begin with? Most of them end up eating more fire too, because of it, lol.

That's true too! After the quirks arrived, at first I played in the same style I always had in my HBK-4SP.

Then I tried taking advantage of the ROF quirks for the SRM6's. Sometimes I blazed through someone gloriously while a teammate was tanking the enemy fire.

And sometimes I just ended up getting blown to bits and end up hanging my head in shame. :P

#77 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

View Postmeteorol, on 27 December 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

Wait what?
Whenever i see one of the bigger comp teams play IS, they are using Thunderbolt 9S all over the place. Peek one second, have 25 ERPPCs flying into your direction.
I'd really wish to know what PGI thought doing those quirks. The PPC meta reigned supreme for years, they stopped it by brutally nerfing the PPC, and then they give the 9S this utterly absurd 50% er ppc heat reduction combined 15% velocity, making the ERPPC on it pretty much better than the PPC was before the nerf.

Watched a bit of jager stream (IS vs IS CW), and the amount of ERPPCS flying around seemed to rival the past days of PPC+x meta. IMO those excessive ERPPC buffs for the 9S were a step back in weapon and mechbalance (especially when looking at IS vs IS)

You totally missed the point of the post you quoted.

It wasn't about PPC's in particular, the point was that before the quirks and changes, AC5/PPC and Gauss/PPC was the loadout you used on any mech capable of using them. If a mech was good or bad depended almost entirely on it's ability to carry those weapons effectively.

Yes, the TDR-9S is a somewhat broken quirked mech. I said at the beginning of that post, that some of the quirks missed the mark.

But you know what? You see ERPPC's on exactly two IS mechs, and only the 9S commonly. Practically nobody else uses them, because outside of those two mechs, ERPPC's are bad.

Thus, the whole freaking point of my post. IS now sports, for the very first time in MWO history, wildly diverse loadouts. Yes, a given variant will tend to have a "meta" build, but there's little to no similarity from mech to mech. That's way, way better than things have been previously.

#78 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:49 PM

Honestly, I just love the Hunchbacks. I've got the G, H, and P and they all are great.

I ran the G a long time ago, basic'd it, then let it go. It was OK, but I wasn't really syncing with it. Same with the H.

The one I really meshed with was the P. I loved it and I eventually decided to revisit the rest of the chassis thanks to it. I picked up the H and the J, ran the H as a Gaussback and the J as an SRM cornershooter and mastered them.

Then the Quirkening happened. I grabbed the AC10 Cooldown 5 and stuck it on the H. The damn thing was a hammer and the poor SOB on the other end was the anvil. The J surprised me as a LRM barfer, but LRMs weren't really my playstyle, so I decided to sell it and grab the G.

And the G is just downright scary now with those AC20 quirks.

Finally, the P just deathstars things left and right. It was always solid, but the lower heat and duration have dialed it up to 11.

#79 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:36 PM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 27 December 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

Honestly, I just love the Hunchbacks. I've got the G, H, and P and they all are great.

I ran the G a long time ago, basic'd it, then let it go. It was OK, but I wasn't really syncing with it. Same with the H.

The one I really meshed with was the P. I loved it and I eventually decided to revisit the rest of the chassis thanks to it. I picked up the H and the J, ran the H as a Gaussback and the J as an SRM cornershooter and mastered them.

Then the Quirkening happened. I grabbed the AC10 Cooldown 5 and stuck it on the H. The damn thing was a hammer and the poor SOB on the other end was the anvil. The J surprised me as a LRM barfer, but LRMs weren't really my playstyle, so I decided to sell it and grab the G.

And the G is just downright scary now with those AC20 quirks.

Finally, the P just deathstars things left and right. It was always solid, but the lower heat and duration have dialed it up to 11.

Love my G.

Oddly, my current "go to" mech on my clan acct is.... a stock Summoner Prime.

Feels good to play hardmode, lol.

#80 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 December 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

Feels good to play hardmode, lol.

Is there any other way? :ph34r:

:P