Post Quirkening, What Is Your Absolute Favorite Mech (And Build) To Run?

103 replies to this topic

#81 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

View PostDaZur, on 27 December 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

Is there any other way? :ph34r:

:P

Not in a stock Prime.

15 shots of LB-X, 24 pulls of the trigger for LRMs. And an ER -PPC that I should be able to fire indefinitely, but that overheats you after about 6-7 shots (by itself) on a heat neutral map.

A Summoner should be able to fire that single ER-PPC for days without even a bare whiff of heat. Well, it should be able to stay cool with it's full armament, and it's not horrible, like a Nova, lol, but it also ain't "cool", and more so if you actually try to minmax those hardpoints.

#82 Dirty Starfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:46 PM

I just won a staring contest with an atlas in my dragon. I love it. The dakka is so unexpected! Everyone thinks it's just an ac-2 until they see that they have no armor left.

#83 Idalgos

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 98 posts
  • LocationLipetsk, Russia

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:21 AM

AWS-9M and AWS-8Q.
9M was first mech I ever piloted in this game, back in time when it was trial. Apparantly, smashing keybord wasn't that effective way of fighting, but it brought me my first kill and love for this walking barn door.
Before quirks, piloting an Awesome was kinda sadomasochistic - CT feels like magnet, heat is awful, firepower not so nice. And more than that, Stalker could do everything Awesome can, but better.
First minor tweaks made things a lot better. But than quirkening happend... Oh my, I could actually snipe again in my 9M! Or even alphastrike all those ERPPC and not overheat in second! I runed the same build for moths, but right now it feels effective, not like a MWO on hard mode.
Oh, and I have personal small laser kill count!

#84 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 December 2014 - 12:18 AM, said:

How about you?

It's a toss-up. Either my 4G - which is just ridiculously fast with the AC20, stacking quirk bonuses onto full mastery onto L5 AC20 modules. OR my SRM2 LCT-3S, which is just a little murdering murderer when I don't screw up and get insta-jibbed by something larger. :lol:

Actually, post-quirk LCTs in general are lots of fun. Even the silly 1V ERLL build can be a blast.

#85 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:40 AM

Same deal for me, I love my Hunchback 4G(F)
I always loved him before. It wasn’t like he was bad before, but now he’s just a powerhouse.
I think my only real troubles is SRM boat Summoner, or when it’s 3 on 1.

Buuut, I did recently play an old old old build of my CPLT-C4(F)… and I loved it. 742 damage in my first match with it. (x2) SRM4, (x4) Med Pulse.

I actually surprised myself haha. Usually I’ve just been running my K2, but I’m glad I got back into some old mechs.

#86 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:54 AM

Cataphract 1x. It was my favorite before the quirks, and the medium laser quirks play right into my build I use (AC20, 5 med las).

#87 Holdfast

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNoVa

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:27 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 December 2014 - 06:16 AM, said:

I run mine like this. HBK-4J It's my second favorite HBK, after the 4G.

It is light on ammo, but as long as I don't spam, it does pretty good, and usually by the time I run out, things are squishy enough for the lasers. The added speed though is pretty huge for me.

Dude, with all respect, why don't you use Artemis? Especially if you're using tag? Not for the grouping, but for the faster lock on time. I was building a second 4j (or, um, my third...), and I though It'd try it without Artemis so I could have a couple of extra tons to play with, and the slower lock on time killed me. Both figuratively and literally.

Not that the tighter grouping and better tracking aren't nice when nuking that cicada from orbit, but still, the lock on time seems to be critical to me. Or maybe it's just because of my impatient "let's peek over this hill and nuke them" play style.

#88 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

Pre-Quirk:
Blackjacks - I was running AC5 BJ's before the quirks...
Shadowhawk - what can't these things do? and the hitboxes, so generous.
Kintaro - my guilty pleasure, boating LRMs or SSRMs
Cicada - My only ECM mech, a fun sniper/scout with a guass.

Post Quirk:
Blackjack - ... and now they are 40% better.
Wolverine - I used to run a 4x LL Blackjack, Wolverine, and Griffin, these have all been replaced by 3x LPL Wolverine
Kintaro - I thought I would drop this for a quirkier mech, but it is a real workhorse in CW.
Thunderbolt - I really wanted to use a Catapult-K2 for my PPC mech, but i got quirked into this one.

Under Review:
Trebuchet 7M
Hunchaback 4SP
Awesome 8Q
Centurions (various)

#89 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:18 AM

Really curious how badly the Clan Quirk pass will make me cry.

Currently I love running my Summoner Prime stock, and my Bravo with an LB-10X, 2 tons ammo, SSRM6 w/ ammo x1, 1x ERPPC and 1x ERSLaser. (My old TT build...might swap the laser for .5 ton more lbx ammo)

Have a feeling I'm going to get stuck with idiotic gauss and laser vomit quirks. :angry:

#90 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 January 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

Really curious how badly the Clan Quirk pass will make me cry.

Currently I love running my Summoner Prime stock, and my Bravo with an LB-10X, 2 tons ammo, SSRM6 w/ ammo x1, 1x ERPPC and 1x ERSLaser. (My old TT build...might swap the laser for .5 ton more lbx ammo)

Have a feeling I'm going to get stuck with idiotic gauss and laser vomit quirks. :angry:

When in reality the Summoner-P should get JJ quirks and mobility quirks to allow it to be a fast striker mech. Maybe a nice PPC velocity buff to let it be the one true Poptart in the game. Maybe not to the horrid degree it used to be, but yeah.

#91 FindersWeepers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the CIA

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

Locust. 1v gatlaser or 3M basscannon
wibwibwib.
dadadada
bwaabwaabwaa
Its a party

#92 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostSep, on 15 January 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

Locust. 1v gatlaser or 3M basscannon
wibwibwib.
dadadada
bwaabwaabwaa
Its a party

ME410 Hornisse, unlimited ammo and hundred AI bombers with no tail gunners....thats a party and a jolly fun time.

20 and 30mm revolver cannons.....oh yes please. You want Dakka, that is Dakka that is very satisfying. bbbrrrrrttt...and entire planes explode =D

#93 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 15 January 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

When in reality the Summoner-P should get JJ quirks and mobility quirks to allow it to be a fast striker mech. Maybe a nice PPC velocity buff to let it be the one true Poptart in the game. Maybe not to the horrid degree it used to be, but yeah.

I'd prefer not to see my favorite chassis become the poster boy for my least favorite tactic, but otherwise do agree.

As I've noted before, it needs a significant PPC heat reduction(35-40% with a 25% cooldown) in the RA and a heavy LB-X cooldown (40% like the CN9-D) in the LA. Missiles are somewhat afterthought on it anyhow, so I'd much rather see the quirks maximize it's "thunder and lightning" ability.

Just my wish list, lol.

#94 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 January 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

I'd prefer not to see my favorite chassis become the poster boy for my least favorite tactic, but otherwise do agree.

As I've noted before, it needs a significant PPC heat reduction(35-40% with a 25% cooldown) in the RA and a heavy LB-X cooldown (40% like the CN9-D) in the LA. Missiles are somewhat afterthought on it anyhow, so I'd much rather see the quirks maximize it's "thunder and lightning" ability.

Just my wish list, lol.

35-40% heat reduction? Then its the Clan 9S....and quite frankly, being able to machinegun out a weapon that is supposed to be punchy, slow and hot.....just doesnt seem right.

#95 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 15 January 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

35-40% heat reduction? Then its the Clan 9S....and quite frankly, being able to machinegun out a weapon that is supposed to be punchy, slow and hot.....just doesnt seem right.

No, because it only has one energy slot in that arm. You can't mount 3 er ppc.

First thing they need to realize, is that quirks need to be split, with the general quirks by chassis, and the specialized" quirks by pod (just like the IS should be tiered chassis/location) which would immediately minimize a ton of the boating/minmaxing we are seeing.

Simple fact is, what was once a cool running and effective armament, in TT, due to RoF and doubled armor is actually rather hot, and ineffective. That needs to be addressed, much like the ac20 HBK finally got made into the ambush threat to assaults it was supposed to be.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 15 January 2015 - 11:36 AM.

#96 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:36 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 January 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

No, because it only has one energy slot in that arm. You can't mount 3 er ppc.

First thing they need to realize, is that quirks need to be split, with the general quirks by chassis, and the specialized" quirks by pod (just like the IS should be tiered chassis/location) which would immediately minimize a ton of the boating/minmaxing we are seeing.

Yeah, but dont quirks apply to the mech, not the single arm component? Id rather have a 15/15 ERPPC firing with higher velocity, hotter and slower, over a 10/12 one firing really damn fast. Less face time with the enemy, the better.

#97 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 15 January 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dont quirks apply to the mech, not the single arm component? Id rather have a 15/15 ERPPC firing with higher velocity, hotter and slower, over a 10/12 one firing really damn fast. Less face time with the enemy, the better.

we don't know how they will do Omnis, but total chassis "maxi" quirks will lead to stupid levels of op boating, something I am hoping Russ comprehends, but he ain't taking my calls anymore, lol.

As a skirmisher, I would rather have the RoF, as I can twist between just fine, lay 3-4 shots and get out.

It's one reason I look forward to snub nose PPCs someday.... they will be the short range version ppc projectile speed in MWO already makes PPCs

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 15 January 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#98 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 January 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

we don't know how they will do Omnis, but total chassis "maxi" quirks will lead to stupid levels of op boating, something I am hoping Russ comprehends, but he ain't taking my calls anymore, lol.

As a skirmisher, I would rather have the RoF, as I can twist between just fine, lay 3-4 shots and get out.

It's one reason I look forward to snub nose PPCs someday.... they will be the short range version ppc projectile speed in MWO already makes PPCs

Lol, you dun made enemies with Russ? =D

#99 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 15 January 2015 - 11:48 AM, said:

Lol, you dun made enemies with Russ? =D

might have. I guess he don't like my ideas. Does that make me a Shiroi Ronin instead of a White Knight?

#100 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

Post-quirks, I really like the Stalker-4N 4 large laser + all the heat sinks build.

I also have a 5M with fewer heat sinks and a bunch of LRM 5s, which was my favorite pre-quirks. It's still decent but after playing the 4N I overheat constantly if I try to go back. x.x

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users