41 replies to this topic

#21 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

View PostMergatroid Skittle, on 02 January 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

I get it... You are one of the complacent players who TKs and then blames the other person for getting in the way. You probably have a high TKing average.

I don't see that stat. but I can count the number of times I've team killed on one hand...like 3 times in the year I've been playing. All of them accidental. First like 2 were my bad when I was a new player and wasn't prepared for how wide the weapons were for the Atlas and killing a crippled teammate by accident. Another one was when I shot an enemy mech with large lasers and before the beams ended (before quirks and no modules) and a light dashed into them and got both his red legs removed.

I saw I get teamkilled at least twice as many times as I've accidentally killed a teammate. Usually because I push a bit or a teammate doesn't see me. There was that glitch a while ago where teammates wouldn't be properly marked and I got team killed like 3 times before that was patched.

#22 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

I dunno…Either a TK is rare enough that a heavy penalty seems uncalled for, or it is done purposefully in which case I don't think they worry about the penalties. Most intentional TKs I have seen have been people in trial mechs on new accounts with an ax to grind about something (Like LRM boats). Penalties wouldn't do anything to them at all.

#23 Mergatroid Skittle

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

View PostBrody319, on 02 January 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

First like 2 were my bad when I was a new player and wasn't prepared for how wide the weapons were for the Atlas and killing a crippled teammate by accident.

If penalties were more significant, I believe players would be much more careful and these types of incidents would not occur as often.

#24 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

View PostMergatroid Skittle, on 02 January 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

If penalties were more significant, I believe players would be much more careful and these types of incidents would not occur as often.

yea and I had no idea there was a ******* penalty. The game doesn't tell you when you are new if you can lose money for TKing. so how about instead of just increasing the penalty, we just create a proper tutorial to teach new players that they can and will suffer penalties for TKing.

#25 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:44 PM

I would be fine with either idea, as long as you add the condition that team damage/team kills to artillery/air strikes don't count, as it's just as much the dead person's responsibility to stay away from the red smoke that was dropped 5 seconds ago.....

#26 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

View PostMergatroid Skittle, on 02 January 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

I don't think most people care in pug land its common practice to shoot through your team to take the kill

#27 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

In a word: NO!

Most Team-kills are accidental and a 10K penalty is plenty -- and for purposeful kills -- you report them to support@mwomercs.com.

What they should be doing is showing the total Friendly fire damage each player has inflicted on the summary screen at the end of the match.

#28 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 02 January 2015 - 02:51 PM, said:

In a word: NO!

Most Team-kills are accidental and a 10K penalty is plenty -- and for purposeful kills -- you report them to support@mwomercs.com.

What they should be doing is showing the total Friendly fire damage each player has inflicted on the summary screen at the end of the match.

I am like 99% sure they do.

#29 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

View PostBrody319, on 02 January 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

I am like 99% sure they do.

No, it doesn't. It shows Match-score, kills, assist, damage and ping.
It should show: match-score, kills, assists Enemy Damage, Friendly damage, ping.

#30 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

I like MoonUnitBeta's idea of penalty based on damage (with a 30 point buffer), instead of based on a kill.
Most times I don't get team killed. In fact, I'm not even sure if I've ever been team killed in my 7 months playing MWO.
However, I often times get hit by callous and/or careless allies, which often soften me up to be easily killed or critically crippled (such as losing a main weapon). I'm usually a medium brawler, so I expect to be hit every now & again by a stray salvo or laser, but sometimes... you can't help but think your allies are either blind or would rather kill you than the enemy.

Earlier, a lancemate and I backed into each other accidentally. They summarily turned and laid 3 medium lasers into my side torso; point blank. At best, they were startled. At worst, they were rudely & unnecessarily responding to the mishap. Unfortunately, I'd be hard-pressed to believe the former, given the match had just started and the enemy was nowhere near us yet. Needless to say, I was running an XL engine.

I find a lot of friendly fire (especially in PUGs) occurs when people are dogpiling all over each other, trying to land a hit or score a kill on a few targets, instead of the proper units advancing to decongest, out of fear of getting hit by the tiniest little bullet.

It's pathetic whenever heavies & assaults insist on camping a spot to play peek-a-boo with enemies of equal or lesser weight classes, while a group of fire support dawdles; ultimately following the example set by their more heavily armored, but childishly fearful brethen. Then, when the few who try to do something, the people sitting on their hands do nothing but peek and watch.

But that's a whole 'nother discussion in and of itself.

#31 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

View PostBrody319, on 02 January 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

The game doesn't tell you when you are new if you can lose money for TKing. so how about instead of just increasing the penalty, we just create a proper tutorial to teach new players that they can and will suffer penalties for TKing.

Absolutely agree. The tutorial teachs you next to nothing on how to actually survive in an actual match.

A majority of my team kills were also when I was brand new and horrible at aiming.

It'd be great if the tutorial taught some general tactics too, like to stay close to allies, but not ride each other's shiny metal ***es.

#32 Michael Abt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

Some kind of penalty per FF damage done would be nice, extra penalty for destroyed components. As a medium brawler i have to do evasive maneuvers in order to dodge enemy fire. However, too often i lose the AC20 on my Hunch because some teammate ´sharpshooter´ blows it from behind.

Edit: The other day i did an odd accidental TK. Teammate was brawling with an enemy, i fired into its back just when my teammate killed him. Shot went right through the enemy, no hitreg, killing my teammate. Doh.

Edited by Michael Abt, 02 January 2015 - 04:22 PM.

#33 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

I don't think the in-game penalty is that important. The thing that stops me the most with regard to team killing is the threat of administrative action.

If you make the in-game penalty too high then it punishes people who TK by mistake. If you intentionally TK then the admins will eat you anyway, and if you want to think of it this way, the lost income from having your account locked for a few days will easily add up to a lot of C-bills.

If you really care about C-bills that much. And I bet $5 TKers don't.

Edited by Water Bear, 02 January 2015 - 04:42 PM.

#34 SirSpoony

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostMergatroid Skittle, on 02 January 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

I can't be the only one that thinks this... But I think there needs to be a much harsher penalty for team killing. If you regularly team kill, you are doing something wrong. I think you should lose all C-bills in a match if you record a team kill.

I've played over 1500 matches and had maybe 5 team kills if that. I can only remember 2 team kills and after seeing the penalty I thought "That's it?".

AGREED....
It's very simple. Other games allow the ability to have "No Friendly Fire" why can't MWO? We could also have modes that allow it as well. So many this&that scenarios like this in MWO that other games offered years and years ago, this is just one shining example among many. First mech based game that comes out and is actually modernized = lookout MWO!

View PostWater Bear, on 02 January 2015 - 04:40 PM, said:

I don't think the in-game penalty is that important. The thing that stops me the most with regard to team killing is the threat of administrative action.

If you make the in-game penalty too high then it punishes people who TK by mistake. If you intentionally TK then the admins will eat you anyway, and if you want to think of it this way, the lost income from having your account locked for a few days will easily add up to a lot of C-bills.

If you really care about C-bills that much. And I bet $5 TKers don't.

What in this game is a perfect science "as-is"? Sure it would take time to perfect, but this game lives off of that attempt at least, even if they never seem to get there. Penalties should be by a daily action based formula and then reset to move on to another day unless you scored in a certain point value in team killing and/or friendly fire damage. More people would strive to not team kill and most would succeed in avoiding it because they will be looking for it and have greater consideration for it; into eventually just doing it without thinking about it much (better quality player). Resulting in hopefully better quality players over the "I don't care" or the "Doesn't matter" along with the actual team killers. I can say it's possible because I know many that have played since the very beginning and never once had a team kill; I also have 0 team kills. Any new ideas can lose players, but not doing anything also has lost players. Would they gain some players back due to this idea; sure they would. It's a two-sided coin just like everything else.

This is more than just having a troll-filter and has been possible in many games many years prior to this one. What MWO and players of MWO have to worry about is the next online mech MMO that has all of these modern ideas; which can offer more than MWO's past driven ideas. Past ideas that although appeal to someone like myself that played table-top, will not appeal to the majority that seek the next best thing. Will MWO step up to the plate?....Probably not and this whole idea mentioned here will never happen, but this is why it's hard for games to survive longer than a few years. Game company's get so caught up in their "We're right and they are Wrong" ideas, that they lose what quality in creativity that drove them into creating the game in the first place = in the title of a mech movie turned into a quote = "Crash and Burn"...

Edited by RobotjoxKwonDo, 02 January 2015 - 05:41 PM.

#35 Mergatroid Skittle

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

View PostCathy, on 02 January 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

I don't think most people care in pug land its common practice to shoot through your team to take the kill

And why don't they care? Because the penalty is hardly noticeable. Let's say (hypothetically) that a TK would cost you 10 million C-bills. Do you think PUGs would continue to shoot through their teammates? Answer: Definitely not as much, if at all.
Just because people play PUG matches, doesn't mean they are dumb.

#36 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

View PostMergatroid Skittle, on 02 January 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

This seems contradictory. You don't like the idea of bumping penalties for team killing, but would like to see penalties for team damage? Most people damage their teammates throughout a match, but few people actually kill teammates. More penalties for team damage would result in penalties every game.

And that would result in more fire control, not at all contradictory.

#37 Gothic Salad

• Pip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:27 PM

It would be easy to code for x amount of Damage to team a team kill equals penalty up to and including suspending account. There are way to many imbeciles in the game who intentionally walk up behind a friendly and purposely open up on their back. This way measuring team damage which they already do plus team kills would allow them to target those fools and not the accidental kill when a nub walk into a friendly firing line.

#38 Xx Mechwarrior xX

• Pip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHick Town- Alberta

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:53 AM

Had a Jenner run into my fire line last nite, I was running a Arctic Cheetah Prime with 6 SMPL, and I "team kill" him. Because he had to get in there and make the kill shot. He seen me sitting there wasn't like I was hiding behind a hill or running into steal a kill shot, I did the work on this enemy, I wore his armor down and I get the "team kill" cause some noob runs out in front as I pull the trigger.

#39 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:06 AM

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE OH THREAD OF THE PAST! RIIIIIIIIIISE!!!

#40 Dirty Starfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:32 AM

What is up with all the necros recently?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users