Founders: how are you building your prime variants?

149 replies to this topic

#121 Crimson Dux

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 170 posts
  • LocationLisbon, PT

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:36 AM

Its

View PostKyoshim, on 13 July 2012 - 02:13 AM, said:

But it's possible to put dual PPC on the torso if we removed the 4 medium laser ?

Yes it has been confirmed. See here

#122 Kyoshim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 202 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

View PostZoghak, on 13 July 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

why does this show that we can not mount a ppc in the left torso? it has 2 energy hardpoints

View PostCrimson Dux, on 13 July 2012 - 03:36 AM, said:

Its

Yes it has been confirmed. See here

ok thanks a lot for your answers :lol:.

#123 lonewolfsx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 231 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:22 AM

View PostBluten, on 28 June 2012 - 03:40 AM, said:

.....I honestly like the defaults. When I play a Hunchback I'll want to be the guy that can use speed to get close, punch face with AC20, then dodge counter fire.....

I'd like to use this post to generalize many similar ones regarding the Hunchback. I have the 3025 tech book in PDF and according to that, the regular AC/20 equipped Hunchback has speed ratings of 3/5, which is pretty damn slow. I think it's something like 60 kp/h. So just because it only weighs 50 tons, with old IS tech it's giving up speed to be able to house that giant canon. The Gauss variant ideas are a bit more plausible as you will be able to engage at more range. To be honest, the Hunchback is basically a bigger urbanmech, but people miss that purpose. Basically I'm saying not to expect to be running around the battlefield dodging fire and attacking, you're top speed is pretty much the same as an Atlas by default. The only mech slower than you would be if they introduced the Annihilator at 2/3.

EDIT: My mistake, it's 4/6. Still, that's very slow for a mech that's only 50 tons.

That said, I'm planning a Jenner setup for myself. To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about setting up a mech without Clan tech and even less about this "hardpoint" system (I thought that was one of the main reasons why Mechwarrior 4 was such a crappy game, at least in comparison to MW2 and MW3). However I think I can come up with a useful variant:
-Remove SRM-4 (I've been spoiled by Streak SRM's and won't hit anything with this anyway unless the projectile speed is very fast)
-Drop a few jump jets. I find I never need more than 2, 60 meters is plenty for dodging missiles or getting up to most buildings. Hopefully MWO will allow individual jump jet allocation, I hope it won't be a "jump jets on/off" deal like MW4 was. That sucked.
-Keep all four medium lasers. If I had it my way, I'd drop the armor on the arms and put these into the L/R torso, but with hardpoint that's unlikely.
-Up the armor to survive a little longer
-Possibly change the weapons to either be 6 Medium Lasers, or 2 mediums and 1 large. Any extra tonnage to heat sinks or speed. I'll have to go back and play MW3 and see what life is like without double heat sinks, I don't even remember. 3049 is like the dark ages or something almost (well actually yeah.. end of succession war).

If it gets later on years wise, I'd drop the regular medium lasers for Heavy ones, and the Large for an ER Large, and of course would need double heat sinks to handle that.

I've always been a heavy lasers user, and heat is frequently my worst enemy. Dealing with single heat sinks is going to drop my effectiveness extremely, which is why I'm looking forward to the xp received through scouting activities. Too bad there aren't any regular vehicles, that would be fun to kill off a few weaker enemies while I direct my heavier lance to the bulk of the enemy mech force.

We'll have to see how the hardpoint works though, I have a favorite layout of the Jenner IIC that happens to also work in MW4 that is famous among my friends.. triple SSRM-6's with ammo and heavy mediums for finishing weapons. Pretty easy on heat and killer in close range duels even against mediums and low-heavy mechs.

Edited by lonewolfsx, 13 July 2012 - 04:49 AM.

#124 lonewolfsx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 231 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:28 AM

Oh and one other note, that online mech designer is pretty cool! I had never heard of that before. I've been using a mech designer called "The Drawing Board" on my computers for years now, and while I prefer the save/load ability, level 3 tech, extra items (did you guys forget about XXL and ICE engines?, Enhanced Imaging and Torso-mounted cockpit, etc.), it's pretty cool to be able to design most stuff directly in my web browser. Thanks for the link.

One last comment: I hope MWO uses fractional weights instead of only half ton increments.

Edited by lonewolfsx, 13 July 2012 - 04:35 AM.

#125 Zoghak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:29 AM

na, hunchback speed is 4/6 (63,5 kp/h) which is still slow for a medium mech.

#126 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:58 AM

Probably going to use the stock Jenner for awhile, then might look at upping its ECM to make a heavier Raven.

#127 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:09 AM

You'll find out about my variants, when we're in the game and your tasting hot death! :lol:

Edited by Monsoon, 13 July 2012 - 05:10 AM.

#128 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

I'm building my 4 variants in the Mech Bay on August 7th. I'll get too worked up guessing that will and won't be until then.

#129 Twisp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • 109 posts
  • LocationBed

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

Well, I chose a 'Cat, so Im thinking of taking the concept of the CPLT-K2, and stripping some tonnage in one area (Maybe I'll switch a Medium Laser out for a small) to pile on armor. Otherwise the build seems nice, That little niche from medium to not QUITE long range has always been home, for me.

Edited by Twisp, 13 July 2012 - 05:51 AM.

#130 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

I chose the Atlas for my founders mech, and I'm thinking of stripping the AC 20 and LRM 20 for a pair of Ultra AC-5's and a second SRM 6. Keeping the medium lasers and the 20 single heat sinks, although I may upgrade them to ER lasers depending on how hot the mech runs. Three tons of ammo for the UAC5's and two tons for the SRM's all bound up in a CASE so I don't magically explode, 20 single heatsinks should keep the mech cool, leaving me with enough weight left for a C3 Slave and an ECM for ultimate 'Ambush Atlas' action.

I can drop two heat sinks, half a ton of armour and the ECM if I need to upgrade the C3 to a Master. Could also switch the ECM out for a BAP so nothing sneaks up on me, or an AMS with a ton of ammo so I don't get the shizz kicked out of me by LRM's.

Depending on how SRM's work, I could also swap the pair of SRM6's out for a quartet of SSRM2's.

#131 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

View PostZoghak, on 13 July 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

na, hunchback speed is 4/6 (63,5 kp/h) which is still slow for a medium mech.

Actually, 4/6 is pretty standard for a medium.

6/9 is about as fast as most actual combat mechs ever went - and most mechs, of any weight class, will have vastly inferior armor and firepower to move at that speed.

2/3 = Slow
3/5 = Below Average (or, Average for Assault Mechs)
4/6 = Average (Fastest speed possible for most assault mechs)
5/8 = Fast
6/9 = Very Fast
7/11 = Stupid Fast
8/12 = Ludicrous Speed (only achievable on scout mechs, and even then generally through MASC.)

#132 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

4/6 is way below average for medium mechs. 5/8 minimum for an average workhorse medium, ideally it should have JJs too. Not being able to outrun mechs that are 50% heavier is horrible.

Edited by Acehilator, 13 July 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#133 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Well, I did just build a 50 ton, 6/9/6 movement, max armor by weight 'mech with an AC/20 and 3 tons of ammo... it even manages a single medium laser as well...

That actually sounds kind of fun, doesn't it?

#134 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

I am not sold on IS XL Reactors on brawler mechs, but we need to play the game to see how much of a liability they are.

#135 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostAcehilator, on 13 July 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

I am not sold on IS XL Reactors on brawler mechs, but we need to play the game to see how much of a liability they are.

With my luck in anything involving dice rolls, I could mount the engine crits on someone else's mech and still take an engine crit. So, generally speaking, I opt for max armor, max speed, max firepower where possible.

But yeah, show me a hunchback build that is 5/8 or faster, without using XL engine, and can fit the AC/20 with any respectable amount of ammo, armor, and a few medium lasers.

The hunchback is as "slow" as it is for a reason :P

#136 Sept Wolfke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

the fact that the hardpoint system is still in flux makes it impossible to really answer the question posed by the title of this topic.

#137 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hm hope the REMLAB import works:

/edit: No it doesnt

Edited by Acehilator, 13 July 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#138 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 13 July 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

But yeah, show me a hunchback build that is 5/8 or faster, without using XL engine, and can fit the AC/20 with any respectable amount of ammo, armor, and a few medium lasers.

The hunchback is as "slow" as it is for a reason :P

Endo Steel, 9.5t FF Armor (169/169), AC/20, 3 tons ammo w/ CASE, 2 medium lasers. Three critical slots left.

Easy.

Edited by Acehilator, 13 July 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#139 VanillaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationIn my parent's basement

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Isn't anyone just going to roll around in the prime for a couple of rounds to see how things work? Making plans based off other games without knowing how this one plays out sounds like a recipe for a lot tears.

#140 Latriam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 146 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

Equipment Mass Internal Structure: Endo Steel 3.5 Engine: 260 7.0 Type: Fusion XL Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 3 Heat Sinks: 15 [30] 5.0
Gyro: Standard 3.0 Cockpit: 3.0
Armor Factor: 211 13.5

Internal
Structure Armor
Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 21 31
Center Torso 11
L/R Torso 15/15 22/22
L/R Torso (rear) 8/8
L/R Arms 10/10 20/20
L/R Legs 15/15 30/30
Weapons and Ammo Location Crits Tons Medium Laser LA 1 1.0
Medium Laser LA 1 1.0
Medium Laser RA 1 1.0
Medium Laser RA 1 1.0
LRM 5 LT 1 2.0
LRM 5 RT 1 2.0
LRM 15 LT 3 7.0
LRM 15 RT 3 7.0
Ammo (LRM 5) 24 CT 1 1.0
Ammo (LRM 15) 8 LT 1 1.0
Ammo (LRM 15) 8 LT 1 1.0
Ammo (LRM 15) 8 RT 1 1.0
Ammo (LRM 15) 8 RT 1 1.0

Edited by Latriam, 13 July 2012 - 03:43 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users