Founders: how are you building your prime variants?

149 replies to this topic

#1 Hikaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

I don't like the CPLT-C1 prime variant of the Catapult -- in particular the twin LRM-15s with only enough ammo for 8 volleys of scattered damage -- but it's one of my founders' prime variants, so I decided to use Remlab and build one I liked. I'm curious to see what your load outs will be for the four prime variants.

Was going with Streak 4s originally but I checked just to make sure and yep, only Streak 2s are available in 3049 IS. It seems as crit slots and tonnage are the same as CBT, and I know the hardpoint rule, but I wish I had a full MWO Mech Lab to play with so I knew how they handled things armor/engine upgrades and electronics... I /really/ want to know if we have access to Double Heat Sinks. They're most likely the #1 technological reason the Clans steamrolled the Periphery in 3050.

JR-7D
HBK-4G
CPLT-C1
AS7-D

Posted Image

Catapult CPLT-KE
Mass: 65 tons
Power Plant: Nissan 195 8 tons
Walking MPs: 3
Running MPs: 5
Jumping MPs: 3
Heat Sinks: 21
Standard Armor: 10.5 tons
Endo Steel Chassis: 3.5 tons

The CPLT-KE was one of the first heavy 'mechs to take advantage of the Draconis Combine's advances in endo steel orbital production. In conjunction with a lighter Nissan engine, the savings allow for twin Lord's Light PPCs instead of the medium laser battery found on the common CPLT-C1s, placing the Catapult into a direct fire support role -- and one with jump jet capabilities. Twin fire SRM 6 systems replace the missile pods as low heat solutions for close quarters combat. Additional heat sinks have been added to deal with the increased heat created by the cannons, though heat will climb rapidly when all weapon systems are brought to bear.

Weapons and Ammunition
2 PPC
2 SRM 6
2 tons SRM 6 ammo

Edited by Hikaru, 27 June 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#2 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

I think we only get streak SRM 2...

#3 Voyager I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

For the Catapult, I might just ditch the JJs for more LRM ammo. Probably throw an XL engine in it as well since the thing's already a walking center torso and my job is to not get shot at. If I can shed enough weight while still being good on ammo (some of those medium lasers might find themselves on the "optional" pile as well), I might even go all the way and upgrade the racks to 20s.

Stock Jenner is honestly looking pretty good at what it does. I'm sure I'll find something to tweak, but nothing jumps out as needing a fix. I'll probably try to turn it into a ghetto Puma at some point because how can you not stuff twin PPCs onto your light mech?

I need to get a good, long look at the Atlas's hardpoints before I make any decisions about that bad boy.

#4 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

Warning disclaimer: The below variant is only possible if there are double heat sinks, Artemis VI, and endo steel chassis
Atlas AS7-DB

Mass: 100 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Age of War/Star League
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/E-F-E
Production Year: 2750
Cost: 10,740,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,404

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 300 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 32.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 54.0 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
1 Gauss Rifle
1 ER PPC
2 LRM-15s w/ Artemis IV FCS
3 Medium Lasers
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 152 points 5.00
Internal Locations: 1 HD, 3 RT, 2 LA, 4 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine: Fusion Engine 300 19.00
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Double Heat Sink 14(28) 4.00
Heat Sink Locations: 1 LA, 1 RA
Gyro: Standard 3.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 304 19.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 48
Center Torso (rear) 13
L/R Torso 21 32
L/R Torso (rear) 10
L/R Arm 17 34
L/R Leg 21 41

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Medium Lasers CT 6 2 2.00
Gauss Rifle RT 1 7 15.00
2 LRM-15s LT 10 6 14.00
Artemis IV FCS LT - 2 2.00
Medium Laser RA 3 1 1.00
ER PPC LA 15 3 7.00
@Gauss Rifle (16) RT - 2 2.00
@LRM-15 (32) LT - 4 4.00
Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 10 Points: 24
3 5 6 5 0 4 1 Structure: 8
Special Abilities: SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, IF 2

Edited by DocBach, 27 June 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#5 Hikaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

The Jenner prime is the best built of the four, but it's still not ideal. 4 tons of ammo is basically one hit one death when I guestimate that half your enemies will be sporting a PPC and/or Gauss rifle. Punched in the numbers and you could build one with 2 PPCs but you drop the engine down to 6/9/- and only 3.5 tons of armor. And that's with zero additional heat sinks, so you're pretty much screwed after 2 volleys. Not gonna work.

#6 Phasics

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

Hikaru, nothing against using Remlab for fun just be aware by the time you get access to the mechlab the actual numbers may not match up

#7 Kanatta Jing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

If you don't like the Catapult and it's 8 volleys and fair close range damage you could just go all out range. Take out the heatsinks and the lasers, Upgrade to LRM 20's and two tons of ammo each.

And if you cry latter on about your inability to make the Catapult C1 not play like a Catapult C1 I am well and fully prepaired to laugh at your misfortune.

Edited by Kanatta Jing, 27 June 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#8 Hikaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostPhasics, on 27 June 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

Hikaru, nothing against using Remlab for fun just be aware by the time you get access to the mechlab the actual numbers may not match up

Of course. I'm just killing time. Like I said, from the videos, it looks like tonnage and critical spaces are the same. The only rules unique to MWO so far are hardpoint and 3049 technology limitations.

#9 Phasics

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

View PostHikaru, on 27 June 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

Of course. I'm just killing time. Like I said, from the videos, it looks like tonnage and critical spaces are the same. The only rules unique to MWO so far are hardpoint and 3049 technology limitations.

Fair enough as far as loadouts for myself think I'll play a few matches first then tweak to my playstyle based on the responsiveness of the weapons. I do enjoy a more quirky loadout :huh:

#10 zer0imh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 581 posts
  • LocationFomalhaut

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

how do you add weapons and equipment in remlab? i can't see the available weapons that i can install.

Posted Image

Edited by zer0imh, 27 June 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#11 Derek Icelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 547 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Using Solaris Skunk Werks
My dream/goal loadout for my CPLT-C1 is:

Engine upped from a standard 260 rating to an XL 325 rating (thus upping the top speed to around 86 kph). Heat sinks upgraded from 15 single to 10 double. LRM-15s replaced with LRM-20 racks w/ 6 tons of ammo in the L/R torso. Endo-Steel internal structure. 11.5 tons of standard armor. 4 Medium Lasers swapped for 2 Small Lasers.

Basically converted to a C4 model with Endo-Steel and XL engine weight savings going to upping the engine rating and feeding the dual LRM-20 racks.

Spoiler

#12 Wolftrap

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

Biggest issue will be what the hardpoints allow you to place in exchange. Watching the Mechlab video again and it shows that for the prime Hunchback variant only ballastic wpns can go in the right torso. Which means their will be a reason to buy the different variants just because of the way hardpoints will change depending. I know a Catapult variant I made using primary variant for a BT game set on Solaris VII was 2srm 6s in exchange for each lrm 15....didn't have much ammo but 4 srm 6s dished out alot of damage in the arenas.

#13 Derek Icelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 547 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

My ideas for the other 3 'Mechs just involve swapping single heat sinks for doubles. I don't plan on using them nearly as much as my Catapult.

#14 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

I am pretty sure we get 'lost' tech, but there were some rules to follow... like no double heat sinks in the legs. Also IS DHSs took up 3 crit slots. It depends on PGI on what rules they followed from what setting. For example, the no DHSs (Clan OR IS) in the legs is out of the Battletech Compendium. What changes they have made to suit their tastes is up to them.

It is hard to Mech build without those rules.

Personally, I want to get a Hunchback down enough tons to replace the two medium lasers with large lasers and also go with a DHS engine. I might be able to do it with FF and Endo... I just don't know.

Heck, I wouldn'tbe half shocked if we can't alter the Founder's mechs at all.

#15 Hikaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

View Postzer0imh, on 27 June 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

how do you add weapons and equipment in remlab? i can't see the available weapons that i can install.

Click the tabs.
Click Armament, then under that, select Energy, Ballistic, Missile, etc.
They should show up. They do on IE at least.

Edited by Hikaru, 27 June 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#16 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

I'm going for the Hunchback as my founder mech.

My refit...

Pull the Ac/20 and 3 heatsinks for a gauss rifle and as much ammo as I can load.
Pull the small laser for .5 ton additional armor (max the chassis can hold)
Retain the 2 medium lasers in the arms.

or if pulse lasers actually seem worth the extra wieght and 2 tons of ammo are enough for the gauss rifle

strip .5 ton armor and pull small laser from head
Gauss rifle with 2 tons ammo
2 medium pulse lasers

#17 Derek Icelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 547 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

View PostPvt Dancer, on 27 June 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Heck, I wouldn'tbe half shocked if we can't alter the Founder's mechs at all.

Russ already said the Founder 'Mechs are identical to the Prime variants, save for cosmetic differences and the +25% C-Bill boost.

And double sinks in the legs can't be done, regardless of rules, because legs only have 2 free critical slots and Inner Sphere doubles require 3 critical slots. Same goes for the center torso and head, not enough free critical space.

#18 P O W

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hunchback will be my main mech and assuming all the tech they've been talking about is avaliable from the get go mine will look something like this:

10 double HS, 10.5 tonnes of armour, 2 large lasers, 2 small lasers, 1 ultra ac 5 with 60 rounds (3 tonnes of ammo) and CASE to stop it goin boom. oh forgot the endo steel heh

if the tech isnt there then ill go for something a little simpler:

swap AC/20 for AC/10 + 2 tonnes ammo and add 2 extra med lasers.

Edited by P O W, 27 June 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#19 Hikaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

One ton of gauss rifle ammo is 8 shots. Each shot does 15 points of damage.

An Atlas has 46 points of armor center torso. Assuming a non-moving Atlas lets you hit him in the center torso, it will take 4 shots -- half a ton -- just to breach the armor that single location on a single Atlas. In reality, most people will hit their intended target ~10-25% of the time at best. Sure, you can breach broken sections, and YMMV of course, but I think long range weapons with projectile travel time will miss a lot more than that. So yeah, even two tons (16 rounds) I think is a bit low. LRM ammo is low, but it has the benefit of being guided.

On a side note, if we do indeed get access to double heat sinks, I've just built a viable platform with 4 PPCs that is heat neutral. :huh:

#20 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

2 Large lasers 2 Medium lasers and as many damn MRM's as i can fit.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users