Op Is The Point!

Balance

19 replies to this topic

#1 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

I think it's a lot more fun for everyone when more mechs are "OP" in their specific ways.

One probably has to be king, and the TW is that. I think that's okay.

Others can become excellent in various ways, and that's exactly what the quirk system is doing. Yes, some mechs will be relegated to useless, but that was always the case.

For players, I think it's so much more fun to pilot something that feels truly powerful in its own way.

Thoughts?

#2 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

Personally, I hate it when there are a select few 'Mechs that are OP. This is likely because I play competitively, and when there're a few "standout" 'Mechs that perform head-and-shoulders above the rest, that's all you ever see. This was the case with PPC Stalkers for a while, and then Dragon Slayers and Embers, and then Timberwolves and Stormcrows... it just gets really repetitive. Personally, I feel like the game is at its best when there are a lot of equally viable options for 'Mechs - it just keeps the game from getting stale in my book.

TL;DR: no thanks - I like a more level playing field, with a lot of options.

Edited by DEMAX51, 05 January 2015 - 12:04 PM.

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

The problem becomes which OP is the right OP. Some folks want the wrecking ball (Im this guy) Others want the immortal warrior able to be the last mech standing. Others wanna be OP from a distance other at knife range. How does everyone get their version of happy time?

#4 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Yea we should nerf the T-wolf, give it a removable JJs, and an XL 325 engine.

And while the IS is all cheering in glee because it got a nerf. I'll be using that freed up tonnage between 7.5-12.5 tons to pack some direwolf level firepower.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 05 January 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

Personally, I hate it when there are a select few 'Mechs that are OP. This is likely because I play competitively, and when there're a few "standout" 'Mechs that perform head-and-shoulders above the rest, that's all you ever see. This was the case with PPC Stalkers for a while, and then Dragon Slayers and Embers, and then Timberwolves and Stormcrows... it just gets really repetitive. Personally, I feel like the game is at its best when there are a lot of equally viable options for 'Mechs - it just keeps the game from getting stale in my book.

TL;DR: no thanks - I like a more level playing field, with a lot of options.
So you want to be head and shoulders the most OP player in the game. Cause that is what being competitive is. You want to be THE best the one everyone has to eventually beat to be the best?

#6 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 January 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

The problem becomes which OP is the right OP. Some folks want the wrecking ball (Im this guy) Others want the immortal warrior able to be the last mech standing. Others wanna be OP from a distance other at knife range. How does everyone get their version of happy time?

But that would be exactly the point! There should be mechs for all those roles -- not one mech that does them all, or a bunch of mechs that suck. :)

#7 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

Make everyone OP! :D

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

But that would be exactly the point! There should be mechs for all those roles -- not one mech that does them all, or a bunch of mechs that suck.

This. The TW should be good at one thing and the summoner should be good at another thing entirely. TWs should be better at brawling while summoners should be better as skirmishers and fire support. What we really need implemented are the clan quirks. We also need better skill trees that reinforce those different roles.

Edited by Khobai, 05 January 2015 - 12:58 PM.

#9 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

If pgi cared about balance and mechs not being op. Single heatsinks wouldnt be so worthless. Endo wouldnt be required on 95% of mechs.

#10 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 05 January 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

If pgi cared about balance and mechs not being op. Single heatsinks wouldnt be so worthless. Endo wouldnt be required on 95% of mechs.

they actually nerfed Double heat sinks.
and double heat sinks are supposed to be directly superior to singles, at the cost of space.

Regardless endo and DHS are too good anyway, there is really no reason you shouldn't bring both.

#11 operatorZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:16 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 January 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

So you want to be head and shoulders the most OP player in the game. Cause that is what being competitive is. You want to be THE best the one everyone has to eventually beat to be the best?

The only way to be crowned the true king sh*t of **** mountain is to beat the other king, consistently using the exact same mech and loadout. Other wise their will always be those who claim *cheats* :P the truest measure of skill is to have the combatants use the same equipment......just sayin :ph34r:

#12 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:18 PM

I'm gonna guess yes. Whyever not? But to be the best by skill.

In any case, the more competitive something gets, the closer matched the leaders become. For example, in Formula1 the diference between winning and coming second is a mere 0.1s per lap.

#13 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostoperatorZ, on 05 January 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

The only way to be crowned the true king sh*t of **** mountain is to beat the other king, consistently using the exact same mech and loadout. Other wise their will always be those who claim *cheats* :P the truest measure of skill is to have the combatants use the same equipment......just sayin :ph34r:

Skill is more than twitch though. It's also the brains to outfit the right mech. Eg do you gamble on getting the right map or team mates in pug, or can you strike a better more flexible balance that will win more games per 100.

#14 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

What exactly does this have to do with either my post, or the topic of the entire thread?

I never said anything even remotely along those lines, man. I just said I don't want a few specific 'Mechs to be OP, because it gets stale (and VERY boring in high-end play where people min-max like crazy).

That said - yeah, I obviously want to be the best. I play competitively, and I do so because I want to see how I stack up against the competition, and because I want to be the best at what I do. That has absolutely nothing to do with what this thread is about, however, and it certainly doesn't pertain to my preference for a more even distribution of power with regards to individual chassis.

Finally, individual players can never be "OP" - 'Mechs and weapons and such can be OP, but players, player skill, and teamwork, most certainly can not.

Edited by DEMAX51, 05 January 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#15 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostAjerWerklWerkl, on 05 January 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

I think it's a lot more fun for everyone when more mechs are "OP" in their specific ways.

One probably has to be king, and the TW is that. I think that's okay.

Others can become excellent in various ways, and that's exactly what the quirk system is doing. Yes, some mechs will be relegated to useless, but that was always the case.

For players, I think it's so much more fun to pilot something that feels truly powerful in its own way.

Thoughts?

No one has to be king, not if somehwhat decent balance exists, because then mechs would have their niches where a few shine truly. A nova will never be as good as a SCR because the way the emch is designed by canon, yet there is not a reason that they are such worlds apart.

we could need more qurkenign to define roles for the mechs. then they cna be unique in their specific way.

#16 operatorZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

View Post5LeafClover, on 05 January 2015 - 12:22 PM, said:

Skill is more than twitch though. It's also the brains to outfit the right mech. Eg do you gamble on getting the right map or team mates in pug, or can you strike a better more flexible balance that will win more games per 100.

for example...chess...the only advantage a player ever has is whoever gets the first move.....you don't get to choose the load out of the chess board...or wonder what the board will look like.......no where did I mention "twitch" if that's what you got, its not what I meant...but I get your point :)

#17 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

No one has to be king, not if somehwhat decent balance exists, because then mechs would have their niches where a few shine truly. A nova will never be as good as a SCR because the way the emch is designed by canon, yet there is not a reason that they are such worlds apart.

the nova and stormcrow should be synonymous to the summoner and timberwolf.

the nova should be a skirmisher/firesupport while the stormcrow should be a brawler.

but we need more than just weapon quirks to differentiate that. we need movement quirks too. the summoner getting +10% max speed compared to the timberwolf was a good start.

Edited by Khobai, 05 January 2015 - 12:57 PM.

#18 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

+1 on the movement quirks! Opens up a whole new way to make mechs special.

#19 Jolly Llama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:14 PM

Different mechs being kickass for different things. This is the point of the quirk system.

#20 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

A mech can be #1--I have no problem with that. But OP mechs have no room in a MP only game such as MWO. There is a big difference between being the best mech, and being heads above all the rest in its respective class.

I'm looking at you--Timbies and Crows. One day the jundgement of the Nerf Hammer shall fall upon ye and I will finally not feel dirty riding you.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 January 2015 - 07:14 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users