41 replies to this topic

#1 Hades Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:18 AM

These events and getting longer and longer, there become so much of a grind i doubt i'll bother to take part any more.

what happened to the old events that u got mechs for 5 pts and 3,4 and 5 million for 10 to 30 pts?

The sheer time frame required for the average player to get 80pts and for the rewards is become pathetic.

Coolshot 6's really? come on thats 10k item not even coolshot 9's, then air strikes over arti? another waste.

Then the mech, an Adder, something i see maybe 5% of the time at most in matches and certainly never in CW.

The only thing of worth was the 3 day premium time and the colour and medallion. Rest was junk and low balling.

What use to be a fun and excitement has been a chore and a grind beyond what the normal c-bill hunt is.

3 days for most people, those people who could actually or would use the Adder who don't already have it, i highly doubt even got the 50pts for it.

so who exactly are these events aimed at?

PGI i think you need to rethink the grind needed for these events as it's not any fun any more. You not just talking about this game but your competing against other games these days who have events such as marvel heroes which had a event with these cosmic and omega cross over which in hindsight would have been a much better way to spend my time than this event.

Will take serious consideration as to where any new events are really worth the grind.

How did the rest of you find this and how do u feel about todays events compared to how they use to do?

#2 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:20 AM

I just miss events that took into account how you did the during the match, not who secures the kill.

My play style, I am very good at dishing out the damage, but I am a lousy finisher (I chain fire alot) I normally have low number of kills, and a high amount of assists.

#3 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:21 AM

I played for the premium time and then ground cbills with what time I had available.
50 pts is a bit excessive for an adder... especially since I have a few.

I will say though this event has made me a better player.

Edited by CygnusX7, 02 March 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#4 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:23 AM

I kind of wish they would just go by in game points.

#5 Zakizdaman

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCalgary, Ab, Canada

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:33 AM

Yeah people complain about the grinding for mechs but the grind for this event was awful. I played almost 100 matches this weekend and got 59 points.... 59... ugh... 59!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least 20 hours of game time!

#6 PurpleNinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:39 AM

Agreed. Besides we see an outrageous number of LRMs and people like me, who get pissed with all kill stealing and start holding your fire until you see the enemy red CT.

#7 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:39 AM

Well... It shouldn't be "easy" or "quick" to earn a 'mech, BUT, I would assume that MOST of the player base has family obligations/events and such that they'd like to participate in as well, and it'd be nice if the 'challenges' were "week to week" instead of weekend only things.

While this week's challenge was ABSOLUTELY better than last week's, it still seemed to be oriented more for the "hard core" player. Figuring a 50% win/loss ratio (if MM was working perfectly) that's still 160 matches. Figuring an average minimum 5 minute match time, plus 'average?' queue time of one minute, that's 6 minutes per match, at 160 matches that's 960 minutes, or 16 hours of play time, and in my opinion that's kind of an unreasonable expectation for most people.

I'm sure there's many people who did in a lot less than 160 matches. Good for you, you're either very lucky, or... Well, I dunno what, just lucky I guess, but I'm guessing that there's a majority that weren't able to complete the challenge, and that's kind of sad.

I think it'd be really cool that a few hours of play a day over a week, or multiple weekends, could earn you the rewards...

And for the record, I played a lot this weekend and got the full 80 points...

#8 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

I decided not to play, Adder just wasn't worth playing a minimum of 50 games over 3 days.

Also, you really didn't need 80 points, just 50. The extra 30 was just extra sugar on top of the cherry.

#9 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 02 March 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

it'd be nice if the 'challenges' were "week to week" instead of weekend only things.

Agreed. Run 'em from Tuesday to Tuesday or something. Sure they'd probably need to figure out new target numbers, but it's not like the ones they're currently using are all that great.

Something else I've been thinking about... run them once a month instead of every week. The constant stream of challenges is part of the burnout.

#10 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:12 AM

Didn't bother with the challenge. Not interested in the Adder. With the way I collect mechs, it would have basically been a bill for two more Adders. Was slightly interested in the paint, until I looked at the shades of blue I already have.

If anything, I played less than normal during this challenge.

#11 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 02 March 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

Something else I've been thinking about... run them once a month instead of every week. The constant stream of challenges is part of the burnout.
That's true, you don't want to burn out the 'hard core' base, as well as getting the majority of the casual players 'opting out' as we've seen so many posts in this and other threads on the subject stating they did.

Challenges should be oriented towards the casual player, absolutely. Yes, the 'hard core' will burn through 'em quick and be on to other things, BUT, as I believe the vast majority of the player base would qualify as 'casual' this should be an ok situation.

You'd have a minority that earned it quick.
You'd have a majority that earned it 'as intended'.
You'd have a minority that didn't earn it, through choice or other factors.

I dunno what the ratio is now, but I "feel" that it was mostly the "hard core" or "nearly hard core" players that earned the full 80 points, and vast majority of everyone else didn't.

#12 LiquidLlama

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:19 AM

I'm still relatively new (about 2 weeks playing time), and after 4 points in about 9 hours of playing, I quit. One match I had 11 assists, but no kills; only 5 kills to show for it overall.

I certainly could have used the Adder as I only have 2 'Mechs in my inventory right now, but the frustration level was just too much.

#13 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

View PostLordred, on 02 March 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

I just miss events that took into account how you did the during the match, not who secures the kill.

My play style, I am very good at dishing out the damage, but I am a lousy finisher (I chain fire alot) I normally have low number of kills, and a high amount of assists.

Perhaps the worst part of these Challenges or events is they do nothing to encourage playing support roles in what should be a team based game, just builds that might get the kill and selfish gameplay. Deathmatch, Deathmatch, Deathmatch.

#14 WildeKarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Personally I haven't bothered with most of these challenges. I'd be unlikely to play 50 games over a weekend never mind get the qualifying point on each of those games.

Think I had half a dozen games on Friday night then wasn't back on again as the type of game these challenges generate doesn't make it enjoyable.

It would be better to stretch out the time to play the challenge and to revise the scoring method.

#15 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

View PostLiquidLlama, on 02 March 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

I'm still relatively new (about 2 weeks playing time), and after 4 points in about 9 hours of playing, I quit. One match I had 11 assists, but no kills; only 5 kills to show for it overall.

I certainly could have used the Adder as I only have 2 'Mechs in my inventory right now, but the frustration level was just too much.
Man, I empathize with you completely. You have to be stupidly hard headed competitive to want to dedicate the amount of time required to do some of these challenges, ESPECIALLY, when you're new to the game, playing un-optimized/un-mastered 'mechs.

I totally admit to a stupid level of hard headed obsessiveness when it comes to this game, but fortunately I'm not having to play with un-optimized/un-mastered 'mechs.

Hopefully PGI will start considering the casual/new player on these challenges.

They ARE getting close with premium time earned at a reasonably low point level.

Honestly I think Roadkill made the best suggestion in that the challenges should run "Tuesday to Tuesday", and I think the point structure should remain as is, to accommodate the majority of new/casual players.

Us minority of "hard core" obsessive compulsive types will earn the challenge regardless, so no need to structure a challenge around a minority...

#16 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:28 AM

Should just go with 1 point = 10 mc and call it good. <<shrugs>>

#17 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 02 March 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

Us minority of "hard core" obsessive compulsive types will earn the challenge regardless, so no need to structure a challenge around a minority...

Not only that, but the "hard core" obsessive compulsive types probably already have a lot of the rewards that PGI's giving out anyway so it's no real skin off PGI's nose to give them another copy of some Mech.

I try to collect them anyway, but I already have an Adder Prime(I) so receiving a plain-old Adder Prime isn't really giving me anything that I'd ever use. (I failed, for the record... only made it to 30 points since I couldn't play on Friday and 2 days just isn't enough time for me to get to 50 points.)

#18 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:33 AM

The only challenges I like are the ones with random prizes; it appeals to the gambler in me.

It would be nice to have more challenges like the Halloween event. Ideally, I'd like it to be set up where the better the score you get, the better your chances of getting something really good (like engines or something).

#19 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

how about just a 2x cbill weekend.

#20 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

The rewards for this event aren't an issue really, it's free stuff so there is no need to complain that it isn't "better" free stuff, we should be grateful for the things PGI decides to give us in these events. The scoring system is much better than the past event, removing the win condition when a win is more dependent on the 23 other players Matchmaker chooses to group you with than it does on your own personal skill (the same can be said about match score...your match score will be terrible if Matchmaker keeps giving you bad teams). Was the scoring system idea? No...it would have been much better to give us multiple points per match (specially given the absurd length of this event) for multiple kills/assists (get 2kills/2+assists get 2 pts...get 3/3+ get 3pts, ect.) but it is a step in the right direction (adding win and/or survive to the criteria to get a point is pure insanity). As for the length of the contest...80pts is beyond ridiculous! I do agree that we should have to "earn" the rewards PGI gives us but needing 80pts in this system, even for the best player requires a minimum 80 matches...if que times were instant and all the games averaged 10 minutes per match it would take over 13 hours to get 80 pts in 80 matches...13 hours!!! As I have said before I also play poker on-line and participate in on-line tournaments with millions of other players and those events rarely take more than 2-3 hours to complete, sometimes 3-4 but never over 5. PGI please re-evaluate the time it would take to meet the objectives you set out for us (try to complete an 80pt even and see how frustrating it is and how much time you need to just get to 50 pts) and make events that can be completed in 5 hours or less for the sake and enjoyment of your community

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users