80Pt Events And You

41 replies to this topic

#21 Aethon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:38 AM

It would be nice if the event were a day or two longer; as someone who works Thursday through Monday, these weekend events never go my way unless they extend them.

I really hope they extend this one, like they did the last couple; I enjoy my Adder, and would certainly like to have another.

#22 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:41 AM

To me, the events seem consistently pitched in order to take 20 hours to complete for your average player.

It is too much.

....and it pulls me away from playing CW which I find more engaging.

#23 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:54 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 02 March 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

Not only that, but the "hard core" obsessive compulsive types probably already have a lot of the rewards that PGI's giving out anyway so it's no real skin off PGI's nose to give them another copy of some Mech.

I try to collect them anyway, but I already have an Adder Prime(I) so receiving a plain-old Adder Prime isn't really giving me anything that I'd ever use. (I failed, for the record... only made it to 30 points since I couldn't play on Friday and 2 days just isn't enough time for me to get to 50 points.)
True 'dat, brudda, I was working on the paint camo. Had the Prime(I) myself, too...

#24 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:33 PM

Being a new player here (just over a week) Im not sure I have room to talk. But I think its pretty cool that they have these kinds of events with goodies and rewards.

But I have no delusions about myself. Im not very good and chances are I probably wont improve much so getting a full 50 points or more isn't very likely to happen unless I get really lucky.

Even though I think I play as a team effort pretty good (ecm coverage, maintaining target locks for LRMs ect ) and get good damage and spotting and assist scores most of the time, I don't get hardly any kills for those points. And team team scores don't count.

So even though the Events are real nice, they wont reward much to people like me who try to do more in the way of assisting the team ( Like spotters who get behind and use TAG ) rather than all out damage for kills.

Thanks for the event though.
Cheers

Jax

#25 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:10 PM

View PostJaxRiot, on 02 March 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

So even though the Events are real nice, they wont reward much to people like me who try to do more in the way of assisting the team ( Like spotters who get behind and use TAG ) rather than all out damage for kills.

FWIW: A "good" spotter knows pretty much when to come out and still a LRM boat's kill, those little ********!!!

#26 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:13 PM

Hopefully they'll make weekend challenges based on rewards (Solo Kill, Most Damage Dealt, Saviour Kill, Component Destructions, Kill Assist, etc)

If it gets robust enough that it's able to differentiat between roles, then that'd be even better.

#27 skotsche

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

I must say that I liked this challenge. It was quite easy to get one point. And with the free time I had I was able to get the free premium time. Thanks alot for that PGI! But I knew from the beginning that I would never make it to the Adder and that is ok.

A challenge is not meant to be finished by everybody and the prices were for the die hard players with a lot of time. Just accept that.

#28 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:26 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 02 March 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

how about just a 2x cbill weekend.

I could kiss you.

#29 Malckovich

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

While I do feel that the time required to finish these challenges is a bit too high and I would prefer a qualifier being based around match score, I really did not experience all the negative behavior people have been complaining about.

Most of my games were against a lot of the same people I play with and against on a regular basis in pug land. Sure a couple matches with someone that was hoarding kills, but those were few and far between. This has been my experience with every event, so over the course of 500+ drops not a large trend in negative behavior.

#30 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:46 PM

View PostMalckovich, on 02 March 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

While I do feel that the time required to finish these challenges is a bit too high and I would prefer a qualifier being based around match score, I really did not experience all the negative behavior people have been complaining about.

Most of my games were against a lot of the same people I play with and against on a regular basis in pug land. Sure a couple matches with someone that was hoarding kills, but those were few and far between. This has been my experience with every event, so over the course of 500+ drops not a large trend in negative behavior.
Agreed, a lot people were playing very stupidly and getting themselves accidentally TK'd by dashing in front of team mates, trying to score the final shot on an enemy solely BECAUSE a "KILL" was REQUIRED for the point.

In score based events there was a LOT less of this kind of silliness.

#31 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:01 PM

I suspect they are trying to generate some 'high activity' metrics prior to a Steam release (either to load-test or to be able to show the best numbers achievable).

As the current events certainly favor "everyone pile in for as long as you can stand to play" behaviour.

I am not sure if they are paying attention to 'event fatigue syndrome', or if they consider it an acceptable price to pay given the turnouts.

I personally feel the various event styles (1+1+win+survive, lots of assists, 1+1 etc) have each taught me something useful and applicable to the game, but I am by no means a 'typical' gamer.

I also have no complaints about the free stuff given/earned, as it's all gravy to me - I am mostly grinding C-bills or something when the events are on.

However if they want to design the challenges to truly reward the players, then yes, the extended or 2 part events should be looked at for anything that is going to require 10-20 hrs of play in order to earn the top rewards. I think it would lead to a better and more team-oriented community atmosphere if they took a little of the time/match pressure off.

#32 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 02 March 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

I kind of wish they would just go by in game points.

I don't. At least until they give us the formula for how those are earned, because I can't for the life of me find any real pattern.

I've outscored myself on games with half the kills, damage, assists, and everything. They obviously do something. But there is something else behind the scenes that's giving points too, and no clue what it is.

#33 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:17 PM

View PostDulahan, on 02 March 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

I don't. At least until they give us the formula for how those are earned, because I can't for the life of me find any real pattern.

I've outscored myself on games with half the kills, damage, assists, and everything. They obviously do something. But there is something else behind the scenes that's giving points too, and no clue what it is.
There is no pattern but you're getting points based off the same things every game:

Damage
Assists
Kills
Targeting assists
Component damage
Strike hits
Savior Kills
UAV performance
Staying with your lance
etc.
etc.
etc.

The end of match score is a value based on the performance of EVERYTHING you did in the match, not just how much damage you did and how many 'mechs you killed/helped kill.

It's possible for a Raven to get zero kills, 12 assists, and 200 damage, and STILL come out with top match score due to everything else the pilot was doing during the match. I've seen it happen fairly regularly.

#34 Fonzie260

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

I will say this......

IT'S ALL FREE!!!!!!!!! ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PLAY THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!

Should every thing be given away free? Just play the game and win. I got my adder and then some..... I didn't grind it out I just played the game the way they wanted me to. Take a break from the game if you can't see that it's all FREE.

#35 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

View PostFonzie260, on 02 March 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

I will say this......

IT'S ALL FREE!!!!!!!!! ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PLAY THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!

Should every thing be given away free? Just play the game and win. I got my adder and then some..... I didn't grind it out I just played the game the way they wanted me to. Take a break from the game if you can't see that it's all FREE.
Yes, but here's what I'm working towards:

A method of having challenges that doesn't result in players having to go ape nuts about any particular scoring aspect.

A consistent problem with the last few challenges is that you have idiot players who, desperate for a kill, to be counted in their end of match score dash in front of their teammates, getting themselves killed.

The idiot gets upset and cries "Report for TK!" and the poor schlub who fired the weapon has to worry over his shoulder that PGI is going to listen to the moron and take action.

Specific points requirements like what we had recently do not necessarily encourage "team" play, especially as the 'timer' gets closer to zero.

Better to focus the scoring on true team performance measures, heck, just changing the scoring criteria to match your END OF MATCH score would be BETTER than the "1 kill, 1 assist" criteria by far. At least then people could CONTINUE to play like they do outside of challenge weekends.

Edited by Dimento Graven, 02 March 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#36 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:49 PM

how many people actually got the 80 points ?

#37 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:21 PM

We really should have a regular schedule. For example, weeks 2 and 4 will have a challenge. Weeks 1 and 3 wont. With early notice on a monthly basis, people can then plan early on how their weekend should be like. Private leagues can better schedule their matches.

secondly, a challenge is only as much as you make of it. Dont like the kill steal behaviour, then play for the three points for premium, log out before the time is redeemed, and enjoy the free gift.

#38 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:23 PM

80 is to damn high.

#39 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

View PostChuanhao, on 02 March 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

secondly, a challenge is only as much as you make of it. Dont like the kill steal behaviour, then play for the three points for premium, log out before the time is redeemed, and enjoy the free gift.
It's not just the KS behavior in of itself, it's when these people get repeatedly TK'd in the process of trying to KS their team mates and then have the absolute gall to report their team mates for TK'ing that's the ultimate stupidity of scoring the way the last few challenges have been scored.

#40 Hades Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:40 PM

View PostLiquidLlama, on 02 March 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

I'm still relatively new (about 2 weeks playing time), and after 4 points in about 9 hours of playing, I quit. One match I had 11 assists, but no kills; only 5 kills to show for it overall.

I certainly could have used the Adder as I only have 2 'Mechs in my inventory right now, but the frustration level was just too much.

This is the type of new player i'm talking about that could have used the Adder.

I personally last night went for a grind till the end and in 5 hours got 13 pts.

I'm not the best or worst player out there so this is part of the reason why i was wondering how did the average joe go

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users