#41 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 10 January 2015 - 01:53 PM, said:

Most are at similar firepower; while being slower, with less cooling, with hotter weapons.

They are played like bad mediums. Don't be seen, don't be shot.

true, but in CW this works nice with the adder, since the maops are big enough to stay at the distance they need.

Posted Image

that adder actually is my highest damage scoring ever, in CW adder has good hardpoints for high survivabilities and shooting damage in attrition battles.

#42 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

View PostHeisenbug, on 10 January 2015 - 02:20 AM, said:

Kit Fox's and Adders seem slow and very easy to kill. I love fighting against them, but don't understand the point of playing one. Please educate me.

PS: I am not trolling.

Clans have different philosophies for some of their mechs.

First off, Clans make many of their mechs run similar speeds to keep units grouped together easily. No worrying about the 130kph light outrunning the 90kph medium and getting disorganized.

The Kit Fox is supposed to be a support utility/weapons platform. Its meant to bring high firepower for its tonnage coupled with the electronics packages that make up its utility.

The Adder is a support fire platform. Its meant to bring the highest firepower for its tonnage and is evident with the dual ERPPC loadout that it had on its prime variant.

#43 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:40 PM

still say they are perfectly represented here.

#44 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

I like the idea of fire support Mechs (which is the role I play 90% of time), but they need quirks badly. Without them they are just slow lights with poor hitboxes, poor armor, too big arms and weapons they can't cool properly. If at least two of these issues would be adressed I would be a happy clanner.

#45 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:47 PM

The Kit Fox can be prety useful as a close support mech. The Adder I just don't see the point of. There is nothing it can do that a Stormcrow can't do better.

#46 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:05 AM

View PostMordin Ashe, on 11 January 2015 - 11:44 PM, said:

I like the idea of fire support Mechs (which is the role I play 90% of time), but they need quirks badly. Without them they are just slow lights with poor hitboxes, poor armor, too big arms and weapons they can't cool properly. If at least two of these issues would be adressed I would be a happy clanner.

The issue is the hitreg in the speedy IS lights. You can fire those 8 volleys of 4 CERML an Adder brings and not be able to kill them. without this issues they would be good weapon platforms. But you run hot while trying to hope for hitreg. Maybe a cooling buff would help.

View PostThomasMarik, on 11 January 2015 - 11:47 PM, said:

The Kit Fox can be prety useful as a close support mech. The Adder I just don't see the point of. There is nothing it can do that a Stormcrow can't do better.

true, yet in CW there are 20 tonnage difference which with a limited tonnage ressource of the dropship is something to consider. but in public matches, yes hardly a point for the adder.

Edited by Lily from animove, 12 January 2015 - 02:06 AM.

#47 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:02 AM

My guess is that they were mechs that were better in TT, but didn't translate well to a FPS like the Mechwarrior games.

#48 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:15 AM

Quirks could translate them into MWO quite easily. But for that to happen they would have to get some to begin with.

#49 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:42 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 12 January 2015 - 03:02 AM, said:

My guess is that they were mechs that were better in TT, but didn't translate well to a FPS like the Mechwarrior games.

because in TT not every IS light was a XL pimped ES + FF machine.

Edited by Lily from animove, 12 January 2015 - 04:42 AM.

#50 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:49 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 12 January 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:

because in TT not every IS light was a XL pimped ES + FF machine.

I'm not an expert at TT. I've barely played it and when I did, we were playing kiddie noob rules, so I am going off of what I hear.

The relation of speed vs firepower seems to be a bit different between the two genres.

From what I gather, a clan light can still be considered fast in TT even though it is technically a bit slower. This makes it a fast mech with good firepower and rather dangerous. In an FPS, it is just too slow for its own good when aim isnt a dice role.

That's just how I understand it (right or wrong).

#51 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:57 AM

View PostTal Ravis, on 10 January 2015 - 04:18 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6cd88385b1fbf4e

swap uac/20 for a gauss rifle and you get a range bonus

it's funny to watch people panic and flail about when you blast them with a UAC/20

mildly effective if you care about winning i guess

I admit, such Kit Fox will indeed give me nasty bruise.

#52 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:27 AM

They should introduce MASC just for the clan lights that are slow, otherwise I'll never buy them because for lights speed is life, and going slow gets you dead.

#53 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:43 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 12 January 2015 - 05:27 AM, said:

They should introduce MASC just for the clan lights that are slow, otherwise I'll never buy them because for lights speed is life, and going slow gets you dead.

MASC would be interesting. It is prone to failure though. I could see using it to burst out of trouble, but it can randomly break and cause the mech to go slower than usual.

Without engine critical hits, if MASC failed (assuming PGI ever implements MASC anyway), does the light suffer internal damage similar to overheating?

Either way, MASC for Clan lights sounds like a descent enough idea.

#54 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:27 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 12 January 2015 - 03:02 AM, said:

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 12 January 2015 - 04:49 AM, said:

From what I gather, a clan light can still be considered fast in TT even though it is technically a bit slower. This makes it a fast mech with good firepower and rather dangerous. In an FPS, it is just too slow for its own good when aim isnt a dice role.

In TT Clan Lights tend to move as fast if not faster than most IS lights with more firepower.

For Example Stock TT Jenner goes 118.8 and the Adder 97.2. The Adder has slight more armor and runs 2 C-ERPPC while the Jenner runs 4 MLs and an SRM4. The Adder starts shooting the Jenner from much further away doing 2 possible hits of 15 damage each. The Jenner gets into range for the MLs and starts to do 4 possible hits for 5 damage each and eventually a fifth that scatters and does 1-4 random sections for 2 each. So on TT the Adder will start cutting pieces off a Jenner pretty quickly while the Jenner will simply strip armor off the Adder the majority of the time.

The flamer is mostly used to light terrain on fire or really mess up infantry and vehicles days. If a mech does get in close an Adder won't be above overheating the enemy with the flamer or lighting their hex on fire.

#55 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:34 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 12 January 2015 - 05:43 AM, said:

MASC would be interesting. It is prone to failure though. I could see using it to burst out of trouble, but it can randomly break and cause the mech to go slower than usual.

Without engine critical hits, if MASC failed (assuming PGI ever implements MASC anyway), does the light suffer internal damage similar to overheating?

Either way, MASC for Clan lights sounds like a descent enough idea.

At a minimum they could do like MWLL, where instead of random failure, you generate additional heat and can only use it for a limited time before you have to let it cooldown to use again.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 12 January 2015 - 06:34 AM.

#56 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:05 AM

In CW they have very little role as the opponents pretty much know where your team will be coming in so ECM cloaking you isn't worth much. Likewise most organized teams don't take a lot of LRMs so not much need for spotting or for AMS/ECM.

Pugland, on the other hand, is a different story. With how rampant LRMs are there, an ECM mech with 3 AMS can be a godsend to the team.

Edited by topgun505, 12 January 2015 - 08:05 AM.

#57 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

View PostHeisenbug, on 10 January 2015 - 02:20 AM, said:

Kit Fox's and Adders seem slow and very easy to kill. I love fighting against them, but don't understand the point of playing one. Please educate me.

PS: I am not trolling.

They fulfill a very different Roll from the Traditional Light, at least in my eyes.

For the Kit Fox - Triple AMS + ECM , that alone is worth it, especially in PUGS. Not so much I imagine in CW. I use mine with Twin ML's and some LRMS. Basically I hang with the Heavies/Assaults (where my need to be a fast light is negated) and that in turn with 3 x AMS with Overload and Range allows me to form a blanket of protection as they move from cover to cover. Trust me, its appreciated though not always spoken of in PUGS.

For my Addlers, They are great for adding a great amount of Firepower to your teams advance. I usually keep mine as streak Boats with a few ML's as well. That way, I can challange any lights that would pick apart my teams bigger mechs.
I do play one as a Long Range supporter though, with LRM's to lob.

They have their place. The key is to think outside the box and not try and do direct reference to IS Chassis.

-ST

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users