60 replies to this topic

#1 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

There's something you can do, right now, without any nerfs or anything, to stop people lrm boating.

Get in a light mech. Probably need a 30+ tonner but the ecm spider also does the job nicely. Then play like a light. Scout. Increase battlefield awareness for your team.

Then if you see the tell tale cloud of missiles launching from somewhere behind enemy lines, sneak over there and shoot the lrm boat in the back.

As an added perk lights are often below %20 so you'll get plenty of opportunities to practice the art of light. :D

#2 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

Unfortunately I hate the LRM boats on my own team the most, and due to the TOS I am not allowed to core their backs out.

For every 1 guy on the forums saying "you just need to use them right" or "I'm supporting the team" or "they take as much skill as X", there are like 100 players in the actual game who suck bad, and want to hide as far from the fighting as possible and LRMs beyond all other weapons feed into this warped mentality the most.

The worst offenders are in Assault mechs, watching the entire fight take shape around them - unwilling to scratch their paintjob in favor of hoping their team will win the match for them while they farm assists and damage.

I want those guys to be on the other team, so the other team is down a few real assault mechs.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 10 January 2015 - 12:04 PM.

#3 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

yes

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:05 PM

View PostMaccasimus, on 10 January 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

There's something you can do, right now, without any nerfs or anything, to stop people lrm boating.

Get in a light mech. Probably need a 30+ tonner but the ecm spider also does the job nicely. Then play like a light. Scout. Increase battlefield awareness for your team.

Then if you see the tell tale cloud of missiles launching from somewhere behind enemy lines, sneak over there and shoot the lrm boat in the back.

As an added perk lights are often below %20 so you'll get plenty of opportunities to practice the art of light. :D

or you can L2P and know how to break locks by intelligent use of cover while advancing...... instead of standing in the open, dying and then QQing one the forums about it.

#5 Star Wolves Admin Account

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

LRMs get shredded in CW. A good unit will bring some ecm ams kitfoxes along. They will basically never touch you if you set up right.

Regardless I wish the dev would revisit them to make them less spamable but more deadly

Edited by Blueduck, 10 January 2015 - 12:09 PM.

#6 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

I hate assaults boating LRMs on my team.

#7 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

I do not enjoy them when they're on my team.

Not an issue on the red side. In fact, the more the better. Ammo explosions pad your damage so very nicely.

#8 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

I actually feel like LRMs should be unguided direct fire only, with faster travel speeds and much shallower flight path, and indirect fire on targets with narc/tag.

#9 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:20 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 January 2015 - 12:05 PM, said:

or you can L2P and know how to break locks by intelligent use of cover while advancing...... instead of standing in the open, dying and then QQing one the forums about it.

or worse camping on caustic or canyon

#10 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:20 PM

I do disdain bad lrmboats......

I admit I automatically assume any lrmboat that doesn't bring its own narc is a burden to the team and probably unskilled.

#11 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

View Postzortesh, on 10 January 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

I admit I automatically assume any lrmboat that doesn't bring its own narc is a burden to the team and probably unskilled.

Own Narc? Nah. Own tag? Yes. Narc is better in a coordinated pairing/group, not necessarily on the LRM boat.

#12 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

@OP: Yes. Almost as much as I hate streakboats. Not because they're OP. They're not. There's just some psychological mechanism that kicks in when I'm getting attacked by someone and I can't retalliate. I think that's a big issue people have with LRMs. Getting attacked by some dude behind a hill who's lazily firing LRMs with one hands while using Doritos to scratch his crotch with his other hand.

That's why you see players put a few extra shots into dead LRM boats, more so than any other build.

View PostMirumoto Izanami, on 10 January 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

I actually feel like LRMs should be unguided direct fire only, with faster travel speeds and much shallower flight path, and indirect fire on targets with narc/tag.

This is basically what I've been asking for too. Although not strictly unguided direct fire, just extremely difficult to get and maintain locks. There should be a skill barrier to LRMs and SSRMs on par with the skill barrier on gauss rifles, which should make them very difficult to use for people without aiming skills, but effective for players who do have good aim.

Your suggestion is a bit more harsh, but I prefer your suggestion to what we have now.

#13 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

Not If they are used correctly. My fav IS chassis is the catapult. People need to understand that MWO is not brawl warrior online. LRM'S have their place on the battlefield. This is a team game and LRMs are your support weapon that allows your team to assist without being nearby or having LOS.

When I run my CPLT-c4 it lets me help my team from where ever on map. Positioning pending. Something that can't always be done with direct fire. I make sure to include BAP, TAG, targeting decay, UAV and that I'm not the slowest mech on the team. I don't like seeing lrm boats that come into pugs lacking all the tools necessary to get the job done and play overly passive. Those are the lrm board I don't like.

My TBR-s load out is pretty similar to the TBR-prime default. 2-erll, 2 ml, 2 lrm 15, tag BAP etc. it's good to poke and surpress from a distance. I play both pretty similarly - get my own locks and keep the enemy ducking. Once the brawl starts I rain LRMS on the I use my teams locks or lock up enemy mechs that are safe and getting in free shots. I turn 1 on 1 fights into 2 on 1.

TLDR - I like lrm boats that come equipped for the job and aggressively work on surpressing the enemy. I hate LRM boats that come to battle. No tag, no BAP or even artiemis or targeting decay and expect everyone to feed them locks while they cluelessly camp in the backfield.

#14 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

View Postzortesh, on 10 January 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

View PostMirumoto Izanami, on 10 January 2015 - 12:23 PM, said:

Own Narc? Nah. Own tag? Yes. Narc is better in a coordinated pairing/group, not necessarily on the LRM boat.

NARCing is for fast movers (because you can't expect them to hold TAG on the target while moving), TAG is for brawlers. LRM boats should be LRMs (Artemis optional), ammo, a few heat sinks, some backup MLs, and an engine at least big enough to keep up with the pack. NARC travels so slowly that the accuracy is horrible outside of close range, which puts the LRM boat at risk of being overrun, and TAG requires too much face-time.

#15 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 10 January 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

This is basically what I've been asking for too. Although not strictly unguided direct fire, just extremely difficult to get and maintain locks. There should be a skill barrier to LRMs and SSRMs on par with the skill barrier on gauss rifles, which should make them very difficult to use for people without aiming skills, but effective for players who do have good aim.

Your suggestion is a bit more harsh, but I prefer your suggestion to what we have now.

If I laid out my full idea for LRMs, its actually not that harsh.

Aside from shallower flight path and faster travel speed, you would still need to lock the target (unless you just wanted to shoot at a spot on the reticule). When you pull the trigger on your LRMs, they would fire and travel to the point the target you have locked would be at if the target maintains the same heading and speed as when you pull the trigger (so if the target jukes or changes speed, then you are likely to miss with most missiles depending on the range). Also, no incoming missle warnings.

If the target is tagged or narced, then the missles take a more ballistic and a guided approach to the target. And again, no incoming missle weapon.

In either case, Artemis would increase range, speed, and maintain guidance from tag or narc even if that drops off while in flight.

This is what I dream of for LRMs.

Edited by Mirumoto Izanami, 10 January 2015 - 02:57 PM.

#16 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

All I ask is that any LRM boat on my team carry at least one medium laser, that's it. Nothing worse than seeing a LRM boat power down toward the end of a match with 2-3 bad guys left and everybody but them with tangerine and red CTs.

Ask nothing more than the ability got the LRM boat to sweep a single, solitary laser around to help his best up team clear the remaining enemy...that's it...be able to deliver a few points of direct fire damage in a pinch.

Edited by CocoaJin, 10 January 2015 - 02:53 PM.

#17 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:55 PM

You could also bring AMS.

#18 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

Nope.

#19 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

When I was participating in the Invasion mode there were plenty of 'mechs under ECM cover just standing there thinking they were safe from LRM attack. So I throw a few at them while they're standing around and I hit them, causing them to do a "Oh crap!" manuever.

When someone lobs LRMs at someone without a lockon.. does the target still get the 'INCOMING MISSILE!' message?

View PostBlueduck, on 10 January 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

LRMs get shredded in CW. A good unit will bring some ecm ams kitfoxes along. They will basically never touch you if you set up right.

Regardless I wish the dev would revisit them to make them less spamable but more deadly

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:20 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 10 January 2015 - 02:51 PM, said:

All I ask is that any LRM boat on my team carry at least one medium laser, that's it. Nothing worse than seeing a LRM boat power down toward the end of a match with 2-3 bad guys left and everybody but them with tangerine and red CTs.

Ask nothing more than the ability got the LRM boat to sweep a single, solitary laser around to help his best up team clear the remaining enemy...that's it...be able to deliver a few points of direct fire damage in a pinch.

I'm a little more demanding I guess. Once that mech is out of ammo, he dang well better not his to protect his epeen. He has armor. Go be a shield for your dang teammates.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users