• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:24 PM

Hail

I was going to post this in the clanner forum since I work with them the closest, but I think this is important for all of us.

I know I can be a bit intense in matches, and I have been worried that I've stepped over the line. As I feel I am the model for my unit I've pulled myself in greatly and have asked my Khan to tell me if I've stepped out of line. I make no excuses for my behavior and apologize to anyone who's dealt with my gruffness.

What I've been seeing, though, are some groups that seem to have a culture of disrespect to others (and by virtue to themselves). When called on it the responses have been "We're having fun" or "We're xxx we don't care about anyone else."

More than anything else I feel these behaviors are what is really going to hinder and destroy CW and the game overall. We know how difficult these fights are just as it is but the sometimes hostile and negative nature of some units and individuals are what is going to make people just not care and keep people from playing and supporting the game we love. It's a shame how short sighted some individuals are but that is the nature of some humans, isn't it?

So what do we do? Myself and my unit (Clan Diamond Shark : Diamond Shiver) are making a pledge to work with and to try and help those who wish to come into the fold. Those who wish to push themselves and improve themselves while being mature respectful individuals who don't hide behind the anonymous nature of the internet.

I'm open to thoughts, perspectives and more. I'd like to see a real dialog as I think until PGI stands up and does something we're going to have to police ourselves.

Seyla

A black, native american, white mixed fellow from NYC who is almost 2 years in remission from cancer. I'm poor, I have a great grandmother who is 92 and my only real surviving relative (that I care about) and I met the First Lady of the United States last year (and the president of Taiwan). Another human being.

#2 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:22 AM

You hit the nail on the head regarding what is wrong here.

Look all over this forum. It's riddled with nonsense such as "CW is the land of real skill and real warriors!" followed by "Whah!!! Don't add match-making or change the game mode because then I won't get free wins against PUG's and ghost drops!" Because that takes "skill" - and who cares if nobody else is having fun provided I get my wins! Right...

It's a joke, and if you point it out to people, they whine, make laughably excuses - "this is war?!" - and other delusional drek. Meanwhile, the CW queues grow quieter and the game mode dies on the vine... and it won't be 5 posts until Roaddrunk or some other dim-bulb stops by this thread to post more delusional nonsense.

They don't get it, and they never will. Either CW will die - and they'll blame the PUG's they've bashed, rolled, and insulted for that - or CW will change and be worth playing - and they'll whine about the loss of free wins because it might challenge their "skill."

At any rate, I appreciate you stepping up, taking ownership, and noting the serious problems both in CW and the childish and idiotic behavior it has brought out of the worst elements of the community.

Take care.

Edited by oldradagast, 13 January 2015 - 04:23 AM.

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:31 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 13 January 2015 - 04:22 AM, said:

Look all over this forum. It's riddled with nonsense such as "CW is the land of real skill and real warriors!" followed by "Whah!!! Don't add match-making or change the game mode because then I won't get free wins against PUG's and ghost drops!" Because that takes "skill" - and who cares if nobody else is having fun provided I get my wins! Right...

It's a joke, and if you point it out to people, they whine, make laughably excuses - "this is war?!" - and other delusional drek. Meanwhile, the CW queues grow quieter and the game mode dies on the vine... and it won't be 5 posts until Roaddrunk or some other dim-bulb stops by this thread to post more delusional nonsense.

They don't get it, and they never will. Either CW will die - and they'll blame the PUG's they've bashed, rolled, and insulted for that - or CW will change and be worth playing - and they'll whine about the loss of free wins because it might challenge their "skill."

At any rate, I appreciate you stepping up, taking ownership, and noting the serious problems both in CW and the childish and idiotic behavior it has brought out of the worst elements of the community.

Take care.
There are also those like me who have lost all but ONE Ghost match in CW and still want it to remain that hard mode. I'm getting my butt handed to me and it's great cause that false sense of greatness is no longer being fed. Of course Beer or I will come by and post here. Opposing opinions are required for PGI to get teh full scope of how the community feels. So for every "this game needs" post I disagree with I will be sure PGI reads a "no, not really needs." Now when I agree with you I will do so just as staunchly as when I disagree with you. But until then, don't take it personal. It's not about you, it's about what I think is right.

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:35 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 13 January 2015 - 04:22 AM, said:

Take care.

Thats how PvP games often are going to be, but in the end if the majority does't have fun, they don't participate. No idea why those elitists don't undertsand it. But in the end they then blame PGI for "mistakes" that is ften caused by player behavior.

#5 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:10 AM

View PostOzealot, on 13 January 2015 - 06:06 AM, said:

You are on an island.

Truth
Posted Image

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:35 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 13 January 2015 - 06:10 AM, said:

Truth
Posted Image

I don't even have an Island! :(

#7 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:54 AM

View PostOzealot, on 13 January 2015 - 06:06 AM, said:

You are on an island.

but its a cloudy island with a rainbow, YAY.

now lets share the love

Edited by Lily from animove, 13 January 2015 - 06:54 AM.

#8 GroovYChickeN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:55 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 13 January 2015 - 04:31 AM, said:

There are also those like me who have lost all but ONE Ghost match in CW and still want it to remain that hard mode. I'm getting my butt handed to me and it's great cause that false sense of greatness is no longer being fed. Of course Beer or I will come by and post here. Opposing opinions are required for PGI to get teh full scope of how the community feels. So for every "this game needs" post I disagree with I will be sure PGI reads a "no, not really needs." Now when I agree with you I will do so just as staunchly as when I disagree with you. But until then, don't take it personal. It's not about you, it's about what I think is right.

At least you had a constructive response, unlike others here.....

However, OP point was not to make CW "easy mode". It was to urge the community that is involved with CW to foster an atmosphere that will encourage more people to play. That is very very very different from making the game easy.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:04 AM

View PostGroovYChickeN, on 13 January 2015 - 06:55 AM, said:

At least you had a constructive response, unlike others here.....

However, OP point was not to make CW "easy mode". It was to urge the community that is involved with CW to foster an atmosphere that will encourage more people to play. That is very very very different from making the game easy.

True, and for that I am sorry. But Radagast was pointing out that it is where the elite want to stomp the Green. and that is Just as negative and hurtful to the community. It is a faulty generalization. Both sides of the coin can and do get toxic There is no reason either side to behave poorly. Then again I feel that is a lesson that is more often taught at home better than anywhere else. My dad was my role model of good sportsmanship, I taught my kids how to be good sports And still reprimand them when they act like a poor sport.

#10 Ilithi Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 475 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:11 AM

View PostDaisu Saikoro, on 12 January 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

Hail

I was going to post this in the clanner forum since I work with them the closest, but I think this is important for all of us.

I know I can be a bit intense in matches, and I have been worried that I've stepped over the line. As I feel I am the model for my unit I've pulled myself in greatly and have asked my Khan to tell me if I've stepped out of line. I make no excuses for my behavior and apologize to anyone who's dealt with my gruffness.

What I've been seeing, though, are some groups that seem to have a culture of disrespect to others (and by virtue to themselves). When called on it the responses have been "We're having fun" or "We're xxx we don't care about anyone else."

More than anything else I feel these behaviors are what is really going to hinder and destroy CW and the game overall. We know how difficult these fights are just as it is but the sometimes hostile and negative nature of some units and individuals are what is going to make people just not care and keep people from playing and supporting the game we love. It's a shame how short sighted some individuals are but that is the nature of some humans, isn't it?

So what do we do? Myself and my unit (Clan Diamond Shark : Diamond Shiver) are making a pledge to work with and to try and help those who wish to come into the fold. Those who wish to push themselves and improve themselves while being mature respectful individuals who don't hide behind the anonymous nature of the internet.

I'm open to thoughts, perspectives and more. I'd like to see a real dialog as I think until PGI stands up and does something we're going to have to police ourselves.

Seyla

A black, native american, white mixed fellow from NYC who is almost 2 years in remission from cancer. I'm poor, I have a great grandmother who is 92 and my only real surviving relative (that I care about) and I met the First Lady of the United States last year (and the president of Taiwan). Another human being.

THIS! THIS is why the non-Marik factions are having trouble with membership, and why so many non-Marik players are raising such a fuss about how awful CW is. Just about every other faction besides Marik is either indifferent to, or actively hostile to their PUGs, and when you drop into a match where you are mocked, ridiculed and derided for not picking the right mech to go with the group's strategy because you only have three mechs in your mechbay, or worse, nine mechs all leg you, and then leave you in the dust because you don't have the mech they wanted you to have available, or because you don't speak their language and didn't know what they were telling you, you're going to quickly start to hate the game and not want to play!

House Marik is gaining new players steadily, and we're all having fun. We all have gripes or issues with CW, but we generally understand that it's the first round of beta, and we're still having fun, and our PUGs are having fun, and doing well, because we actively work with our PUGs and encourage them to coordinate and join us on TS, etc., exactly the opposite of what many other factions do. I've heard stories about many of the matches, particularly in the Clan factions, where PUGs face vitriol and hatred in drops, and are sometimes even TK'd or legged for not taking the "correct" mech, whether or not they had that mech available, or even understood the language they were being instructed in.

Communities can make or break a game, and if you want to build a strong community around MWO and CW, the faction communities need to take a cue from us in Marik and embrace their PUGs and encourage them to participate and coordinate, and invite them to the party, instead of beating them down for being new, or inexperienced, or not speaking the same language, etc.

Edited by Ilithi Dragon, 13 January 2015 - 07:13 AM.

#11 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

I have never seen House Steiner operate the way you mention. Not that they don't have some players that MIGHT do it, but it has never happened when I was in a match.

Now The Law will occasionally, when drunk enough, put a a laser or 3 into another Lawman's leg/butt. But that is the extent of it.

#12 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:37 AM

Honestly, when I played CW for the week I did, the worst I saw was
- 1 Smoke Jaguer 12 man.
- 1-2 Liao 12 mans.
- 1 JF 8-9 man that had interesting tactics but ruined the experience by demanding the IS team drive Thunderblunders, 'or else.'

I had far more matches than these against both teams & PUGs, the team matches were usually rolls, point is while the attitude does exist it is not the majority.

It still exists in the other Modes too, I still have some sceen captures of the Quality Ones, sometimes I send them in though I am not sure if anything is ever done.

As for the Forums, I moved that to a whole new thread.

Like the OP, I live in NYC, we have enough stupidity going on in the Rotten Apple, we don't need it in our games.

#13 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 13 January 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

You need to get out more then. I have seen enough Steiner, Liao, Davion, CSJ, CJF bashing in game to make Eddie Murphey sound like a peace loving child comedian. Hence one reason I stopped playing competitively. Was tired of the game and the constant hate. These forums and In-Game chats are more hate filled than any community I have ever seen in my entire like (and as my video game collection and Online games stand around 1000 I think I should know).

Actually, I recall since the 90s Murphy and other comedians of his generation said the comedians who came after them made them (Murphy, Carlin, Williams, etc.) look like peace lovers. The main thing was how they used curse words. Comedians of the Murphy, Carlin, Wlliams, etc. group used them sparingly only to break the rules just enough without avoiding the point of the joke. You could take their material, remove the curses and still be left with enough to see their point, possibly see it as funny if you liked it. The comedians who came after them thought cursing WAS the joke, remove the cursing and there was no joke or point left.

Kinda like some in and out of game dialog. Prime Example, Man Up.

#14 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:50 AM

I do find the irony of someone from CJF bringing up the sportsmanship thing, but I'll bite. One of the least enjoyable matches I've played in this game was against the Lords. It wasn't so much that they stomped the PUG team I was on, they really are good players, but the constant trolling comments of how bad our team was.

Seriously - there was not one of us that was grouped, I don't think, versus an organized 12-man on comms, that was Clan. On defense. On the arctic one. Even if they were just okay players, they would have had a huge advantage.

I've been on the losing side of some bad stomps before. I don't think you can play this game without having a couple of those under your belt. This one was utterly unenjoyable thanks in large part to the near-constant berating from the Lords players.

This would be like Michael Jordan playing a pee-wee league basketball player and bragging about it - it's not a real impressive accomplishment to beat a disorganized group of players dropping for fun when you're one of the elite groups that takes this whole thing really seriously. It was enough to make me stop dropping on that border because, honestly, I'm just here for the hour or so distraction each night.

Instead of watching whatever crap is rolling out as the new sitcom, I play MWO. But against egotistical ******* like that? Eh - I can do other stuff. I dropped on the other border until the numbers dried up, now I'm back to PUG and solo dropping in the regular game rather than playing CW.

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:52 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 13 January 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

You need to get out more then. I have seen enough Steiner, Liao, Davion, CSJ, CJF bashing in game to make Eddie Murphey sound like a peace loving child comedian. Hence one reason I stopped playing competitively. Was tired of the game and the constant hate. These forums and In-Game chats are more hate filled than any community I have ever seen in my entire like (and as my video game collection and Online games stand around 1000 I think I should know).
The Nutty Professor
Shrek
Dave
Eddie Murphy hasn't been edgy in decades!

And you never been to a Pokemon forum have you! :unsure:

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:05 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 13 January 2015 - 07:57 AM, said:

Never liked Pokemon at all. Was never allowed to play it when I was little either. Also that is not his own comedy. Good lord almighty give me strength. You guys just like to freaking troll me don't you. I said HIS comedy. NO FREAKING ONE OF THOSE was his. All premade scripts that were not part of one of his Saturday Night live or what ever else routines. And out of all his performances how many would you say are suitable for Children (NOT TEENS)? Maybe 10%.

Anyways nice off-topic trolls guys. Topic is the spawn camping of this community that goes on in game.

Hey man if you are going to reference edgy comedians from the 80s and every movie I listed were comedies. Eddy hasn't done a stand up routine in ...ages! I was a father when Pokemon came out.

And teh topic is about bad community warfare behavior not specifically spawn camping. ;)

#17 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:35 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 13 January 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

That's cause Eddy is edgy and no one will book him
Posted Image
Posted Image
Sorry what was that about edgy...? :P

Lets face it Eddy swore a lot... That WAS edgy. Its not any more.

And yes you are right it is about bad community warfare

doesn't that make this like the 1000th duplicate of threads exactly like this discussing the same problems and then having rage wars that no one gives 2 craps about but continues to rage anyways?
Funny thing about all those other threads, they are made by people with thin skin also. When someone starts to heckle and harass me I rate their effort and critique their delivery. ^_^

#18 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 13 January 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

Then why does he not ever have a job other than another Beverly Hills Cop sequel?

Anyways back on topic.... yeah majority of those people are just butt hurt. I really couldn't care less. I played CW thought it sucked and haven't played it since.

Cause maybe that Style of comedy has lost its edge? Swearing for the sake of swearing isn't funny any more. Making fun of a minority while being a minority is.

#19 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:55 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 13 January 2015 - 07:46 AM, said:

Eddie Murphy has more curse words in his work than in the Usual Suspects. Anyways not the point I am saying these guys make him seem suitable for Children.... which in and of itself is impressive because he is in no freaking way suitable for anyone 15 or below IMO.

The comedians who came after Murphy were worse, they swear enough to make him look like a priest, Murphy is not the edgiest. Even when his swearing is removed, I could still find humor & points in his comedy.

#20 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

I agree with OP that we should try and not be jerks to each other. Kicking ass is one thing, but being abusive while doing it is another.

The trolls who came after trying to derail the thread into matchmaker complaining, can go to mudhut town and get bent, as not every topic needs to be about their pet issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users