186 replies to this topic

#41 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

View PostHarathan, on 13 January 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

I'll like your post, but I actually thought 1/1/1/1 wasn't a terrible idea.

The reason I'm against 1/1/1/1 is because if FORCES people to do things they're likely to end up doing anyways. I see a lot of decks with one of each weight class in it, but say I'm in a situation where I want to bring 2 Locusts and 2 King Crabs, I want that option and not be forced in to pigeon holed meta builds, because only specific mechs from certain weight classes are considered "Acceptable" or "Competitive"

#42 Ax2Grind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 816 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

Dear OP,

My team is super inviting to new players and pugs alike, as well supportive of entire other teams. Most of the teams I know are super inviting to other players. Sometimes I go on recruiting tours of NGNG and Comstar...play with folks who are not in units but want to use TS and are checking the game out a little more. I hear a lot about how much they would never want to be a "try-hard". I ask...what is a try-hard exactly? "Oh, its these teams that roll us in the group queue." Ok, I say...were they rude? "They dropped arty on us the entire game!", and "they rolled us 12-2 and then had the balls to say GG". Huh. Would you like to try playing with a team, and see how it is from that perspective? "No way!". Seems to me that there is a good amount of pre-conceived negative assumption about what playing on a team is all about. Many pugs seem to think its somehow an intentional slight that these folks decided to play a team game as a team. That's ridiculous.

Most if not almost every single group in MWO has recruiting threads. Most of these groups, large or small have training and learning documents, videos, and pdf's, if not homemade calculators and programs to help players have better builds and play the game better. Websites and forums and TS's paid for by the members to share with the other members. That sounds like a huge amount of effort for teams to go to if they just want to be rude to Pugs. I would say it's unfair to just brand the Unit/Team Community in a negative way. You are of course free to do so, but I believe you are wrong. There is quite a bit of positive outreach.

#43 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostAx2Grind, on 13 January 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

Dear OP,

My team is super inviting to new players and pugs alike, as well supportive of entire other teams. Most of the teams I know are super inviting to other players. Sometimes I go on recruiting tours of NGNG and Comstar...play with folks who are not in units but want to use TS and are checking the game out a little more. I hear a lot about how much they would never want to be a "try-hard". I ask...what is a try-hard exactly? "Oh, its these teams that roll us in the group queue." Ok, I say...were they rude? "They dropped arty on us the entire game!", and "they rolled us 12-2 and then had the balls to say GG". Huh. Would you like to try playing with a team, and see how it is from that perspective? "No way!". Seems to me that there is a good amount of pre-conceived negative assumption about what playing on a team is all about. Many pugs seem to think its somehow an intentional slight that these folks decided to play a team game as a team. That's ridiculous.

Most if not almost every single group in MWO has recruiting threads. Most of these groups, large or small have training and learning documents, videos, and pdf's, if not homemade calculators and programs to help players have better builds and play the game better. Websites and forums and TS's paid for by the members to share with the other members. That sounds like a huge amount of effort for teams to go to if they just want to be rude to Pugs. I would say it's unfair to just brand the Unit/Team Community in a negative way. You are of course free to do so, but I believe you are wrong. There is quite a bit of positive outreach.

I don't believe I labeled every unit/team. I used words as some and if needed to I'd have examples but this isn't a thread about calling out any specific users.

I'd be weary of saying most units myself as I honestly don't know the practices of most units, but your point is taken. Do you feel that the issue is so slight and insignificant that it doesn't affect the overall community that finds their way into community warfare?

Part of the reason I started the post was because of what myself and my warriors have been noticing which has made us not want to play. Not the difficulty of the games, or the wait times, or anything else which we have been fine with but some of the attitudes and behaviours seen while dropping.

It also comes from a personal place as I know I've put my frustration out on coms when it's been unnecessary. I've had to think about myself and my behaviour and as a reflection of my unit and our code of conduct I've had to not make excuses for it but to own up to it and figure out how I can better present myself when it comes to drop time.

#44 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:58 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 13 January 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

The reason I'm against 1/1/1/1 is because if FORCES people to do things they're likely to end up doing anyways. I see a lot of decks with one of each weight class in it, but say I'm in a situation where I want to bring 2 Locusts and 2 King Crabs, I want that option and not be forced in to pigeon holed meta builds, because only specific mechs from certain weight classes are considered "Acceptable" or "Competitive"

Wonderful, please take it to another forum.

There will always be differing opinions and some people believing one idea is stupid while another thinks it's brilliant. The true arbitrators of that are PGI and time. Sometimes we don't truly know an idea works or does not work until its implemented and given time and even then there may be differing opinions on if an idea works or not.

The topic of the thread, however, is the personalities that think it's acceptable or non problematic to, in whatever their perspective, call others or their ideas stupid. And it's not an issue of being PC, it's not an issue of being a care bare, it's more an issue of entitlement and feeling one persons opinions, thoughts, behaviours are grander than others.

Anyway, I was just interested to see what thoughts were on the topic, and/or if there were any possible solutions. No matter the intent to have a workable dialog it seems there'll often be a case of people who wish to troll well meaning threads that are looking for honest discussion. I really, some times, we could go back to the period after a large number of rabble rousers were banned from the boards as they may not be aware but for a small moment we went back to the more positive nature of the boards we saw during closed beta.

Apart from the last few comments I have things outside of the forums which require my attention and will leave this forum topic to float into /dev/null .

Peace, Love, and Hair Grease

#45 Ax2Grind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 816 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostDaisu Saikoro, on 13 January 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

I don't believe I labeled every unit/team. I used words as some and if needed to I'd have examples but this isn't a thread about calling out any specific users.

I'd be weary of saying most units myself as I honestly don't know the practices of most units, but your point is taken. Do you feel that the issue is so slight and insignificant that it doesn't affect the overall community that finds their way into community warfare?

Part of the reason I started the post was because of what myself and my warriors have been noticing which has made us not want to play. Not the difficulty of the games, or the wait times, or anything else which we have been fine with but some of the attitudes and behaviours seen while dropping.

It also comes from a personal place as I know I've put my frustration out on coms when it's been unnecessary. I've had to think about myself and my behaviour and as a reflection of my unit and our code of conduct I've had to not make excuses for it but to own up to it and figure out how I can better present myself when it comes to drop time.

I find that a lot of the frustration that gets vented comes from losing. PUG's in the Public Group queue and in CW will experience a much higher loss rate than teams. There is a counter frustration when folks in teams get fed up with complaints of being haxor's or trolls for simply winning the game. I was in a CW game two weeks ago, pugging myself I might add, and got dropped in with a 4 man STS crew. All they did was a simple jump snipe...and the cries of cheats came pouring in from the opposite team. When the STS guys typed out that they were part of a good team it was taken as an affront instead of an explanation. Now of course there are trolls on all sides of the game...but in general I see far more negativity from PUGs that the game is unfair due to simply losing. When the tools to get better and play on the same level as a team are offered (TS, core players, info on situational awareness, etc) it is often rejected. I think most folks who are invested in having a team want to see a stronger community of players. The tools have been provided by the community for becoming a better player at this game. At a certain point it is the responsibility of the individual players to either use that resource or to stop complaining when they get rolled by a team.

Even within teams this comes up. One unit I was apart of despised SJR. They thought they used haxs and cheated and were horrible for the community. Why? They won. This was ridiculous and irresponsible conversation on the part of that units leaders. Later I would be part of a unit that would enjoy scrimming with SJR and having dialogue about how to be better players. That was the reality of what that team was about. The negative assumptions from our team losing had no basis in reality.

So yes, I think the reality of teams making PUG's feel bad is mostly a myth created when folks feel the sting of a loss. Individual trolls are trolls. If people can't see past a comment in all chat and decide that all teams are evil because of an individual then they might need to turn all chat off. I would of course savor less trolls in groups trying to be d-bags. Less salt all around would be a nice change.

#46 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

View PostAlphaToaster, on 13 January 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

I think the poor behavior stems from several underlying causes.

1.) Poor community tools. (e.g. No way to block or mute a player that is harassing you.)

2.) Culture of online bullying to get compliance with herd mentality mixed with posturing for e-peen.

The lack of guides and/or instruction on the expectations for performance and teamwork in CW sets the stage.

New players do not know what is expected of them when they drop and they believe they can "do what they want" as far as builds goes, and that they can play the same way they do in the solo queue, and still win. Those who understand this is not the case generally have lost patience with those who do not/have not.

In order for a team to win in CW, you need everyone on board with whichever strategy is decided by the majority. One person not following the groups choice can mean a loss, and the veterans understand this. The new people mistake "well if you don't listen we're going to lose" argument as posturing when it is merely fact, that without full team by-in on a plan of action, failure is certain. Or in some cases, the new person simply doesn't care if they win or lose, they just want to pilot their mechs around, which pisses off the players on their team that hope to win.

Expectations from both groups need to be established and reaffirmed by PGI with Tutorials that outline to the new player what both the community expects from them, and what they can expect from the community for going against the grain.

I generally don't trash talk in matches, but I have little patience for "that guy" who drops into attack, with or without a unit sometimes, in some joke builds (lrms on attack? rly?), complaining about premades before we've dropped, and how IS or Clan is OP this or that. These guys run their mouth most of the game, typically shoot down any plan that is offered (what's the point it's a premade so we're going to lose no matter what, we should just quit), and seemingly are there to troll the team. They usually quit no less than once a week, declaring they are quitting, or this is their last match, in an attempt to pull players with them and try to draw the entire game into a chat argument rather than play the game.

Very salient point.

As someone who tries to step up if I'm in a multiple unit/solo player CW match this speaks to what gets me most frustrated.

There really seems to be a stratification between solo, group, and then CW where each step up involves a bit more involvement than the rest.

Solo, really do what you want. Unless there are sync droppers it's 11 solo players going to blow stuff up.
Group queue, multiple groups, often on coms, one and done, endless skirmishes.
CW, multiple groups, and individuals, some on coms, some not, four mechs, trying to win or defend a planet.

I personally like the stratification and it's likely why I only fight in CW. I understand having a light attitude, and that ultimately in life the games mean very little, but when the games are up to 30min, the earnings really aren't that great, and you get some really tough competition it's difficult to understand why someone wouldn't want to put their best foot forward. Or if they want to joke around, why they don't do it in a lesser area where their behviour doesn't impinge upon the enjoyment of someone else.

I was actually in a match with a large team the other day (clanners, sadly) and they were insulting to the other team and to the people playing on their side (we were defending). They literally had the galls to say the other team were rocking those PPC Thunders and that there was no reason to really give it an effort. I think about my life and growing up with chronic asthma, being a high school drop out, having a rare and nasty form of stage-3 cancer and what my life would've been if at any of those points I thought "well the opposition is just too hard... feels pretty stacked against me... maybe I should roll over and just not fight." I get that a lot of people do make these choices and it may be the reason why some people live the existence they do while others live an existence that is almost impossible to believe.

</digression>

Apologies, but to your point (and my last here) I am very hopeful that PGI does involve tutorials and tools. Heck even their COC isn't something that you really come across unless you read a particular forum. Ultimately, perhaps the items you mentioned will need to be in place before we can bring people large and small into the same place... and I'm hopeful of that as with such a small community, the more toxic it is to older players who have grown a life where they don't feel the need to be insulted or the new players who get their feet cut out from them before they even get a chance to walk... if the situation isn't cleaned up so that we can bring back, retain, or encourage new membership I worry where we might be in no time at all.

I love this game. I love mechwarrior. I love the members of my unit and the friends that I have made here. If not for some of my experiences I wouldn't have made it through having to deal with the active stage of cancer as sanely as I have. I live for being a better me every day and I hope to do all I can to help this game succeed.

Thanks for the time and effort in sharing your thoughts (those who remained on topic). You have my respect.

<S>

#47 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

All these complaints about the MWO "Community" just scream "I don't play many PC games" to me. I guess that comes with a fairly large part of the MWO demographic being tabletop gamers who don't typically play PC games. Go play Counter Strike, Quake, DotA, or practically any other online competitive game form the last ten years and come back and tell me MWO has a bad community.

That said, that's just how it is, no reason to be upset by it. It's the internet, the very first thing anyone should learn about the internet is to not be bothered by anything anyone says.

#48 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostAEgg, on 13 January 2015 - 03:24 PM, said:

All these complaints about the MWO "Community" just scream "I don't play many PC games" to me. I guess that comes with a fairly large part of the MWO demographic being tabletop gamers who don't typically play PC games. Go play Counter Strike, Quake, DotA, or practically any other online competitive game form the last ten years and come back and tell me MWO has a bad community.

That said, that's just how it is, no reason to be upset by it. It's the internet, the very first thing anyone should learn about the internet is to not be bothered by anything anyone says.

You're both right and wrong.

I'll agree with the people who have that opinion not having a lot of exposure to online gaming, or at the very least, shelter themselves from a good chunk of it (Ironically, these are usually the same people who want an integrated VoIP, because they are blissfully ignorant of the HELL that is.)

Having said that, the MWO demographic has long been exposed to it, almost desensitized to it. The niche demographic for MechWarrior is actually long in the tooth when it comes to online gaming, as many of us have been around it since it's advent. We're used to bad behaviour and trolls, crybabies, etc. Many of us are salty about it as we have watched many a good game ruined by care bears who want everyone to be nice to each other (noble, but why don't you try to change the hearts and minds of 6 billion people while you're at it) or the WASDerps who are ever on the hunt for the Easy Button.

No, the MechWarrior crowd isn't new to it at all, it's those born after Reagan who are on the polar extremes of the topic.

#49 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 13 January 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

No, the MechWarrior crowd isn't new to it at all, it's those born after Reagan who are on the polar extremes of the topic.

And yet, these grown man-children act no different from the kids that don't know better. People (ostensibly grown adult professionals) successfully lobbied for separated queues, and look how that's pretty much spoiled the attitude here. At least in games that have proper all-comer open queues, people are whining about the normal things like build/spec/class/ability balance. Here, no one wants to even compete; they either want to derp around a map with 23 other clueless noobs or basically re-enact the Clan invasion strictly on lore.

It is no wonder some can't handle offensive scrolling text. For every one person over 35 that has actually learned from life experience, there are at least 1000 others that are sure chronological age gives a free pass from critical thought.

Edited by bobF, 13 January 2015 - 03:52 PM.

#50 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 13 January 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

(Ironically, these are usually the same people who want an integrated VoIP, because they are blissfully ignorant of the HELL that is.)

Snipping the rest of your post, but integrated VOIP does work very well in some games, (TF2). It also works very poorly in some others (Halo), and it isn't used at all in other games (Titanfall). So personal experience has a VERY significant impact on whether you think it's a good thing or not. I've mostly seen it work well but that's mostly because I don't play console games online that much, where most of the games that use VOIP poorly are.

So honestly whether it would work or not is a pretty big mystery. I've never actually seen a game get VOIP after release, everything either has it or doesn't, so it's hard to say how best to predict whether it will work or not. Though, games with dedicated servers, and thus "regulars" who play together a lot, are typically the ones where VOIP works better. So I guess there's one strike against it working here.

#51 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

View PostbobF, on 13 January 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

Here, no one wants to even compete; they either want to derp around a map with 23 other clueless noobs or basically re-enact the Clan invasion strictly on lore.

Don't forget ghost drops and rolling random PUG's while part of a 12-man as examples of failure to compete in CW... and plenty of that is strongly encouraged by the old man-children you mention.

I think we can all agree that the game needs a better onboarding experience and a way to ease people in to show them that they CAN compete. Then - and only then - ease them into CW, but with due care. Otherwise, you risk losing them entirely - and any money they would have spent.

The game isn't THAT hard if one's goal is to at least "do something useful" in a match, which would be a decent enough goal for new players. The subtle aspects are harder, sure, but right now, far too many new players get tossed into the flames with no clue what they are doing. One could say they are "lazy for not wanting to work at it," but the reality is that seal-clubbing has never worked in any sport or game, even long before video games, as way to get people interested in play more, developing their skills, and paying money.

Better tutorials, mentor-mentee systems, private training matches FOR FREE, and so forth, could all help that. Integrated voice coms (your team only) would help, but only if it has a mute button or maybe an option where it only works with the people in your group that dropped in... There are ways this could work, it just will take some effort and tests.

Edited by oldradagast, 13 January 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#52 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

View PostDaisu Saikoro, on 12 January 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

What I've been seeing, though, are some groups that seem to have a culture of disrespect to others (and by virtue to themselves). When called on it the responses have been "We're having fun" or "We're xxx we don't care about anyone else."

Yeah, its mostly a vocal minority that tends to make more noise than the rest of the community. Usually a group or individual with an ego that makes the sun look like a pinhead.. ..the kind of people that get a kick out of getting a certain response from other people, just so they can keep on pandering their ego... ...'because having a massive e-peen is a monumental achievement to them and gives them the right to belittle or be rude to others'. Of course some people suck and are just jerks. Life has its bad eggs...

Anyway, I disagree with posts here that the players are scaring off newbs - I for one recognise the hard work done by a just as vocal minority that provide help and support to players while also discussing the game in decent manner, our so called pillars of the community...

Likewise you do have those players that appear to troll, but rather are vocalising their thoughts and opinions in a different way.. ..you for one learn to separate these players from the outright trolls and to take their comments with a pinch of salt.

Really do not need to take every in chat comment or in forum post to heart & the only way to avoid the fire is to stop fanning it... ...some people are just easier to ignore...

#53 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

I'm a fail troll, yet the post previous to yours illustrates my points perfectly. We need systems that "ease" bads into competitive play, when they've already been here forever, in every pvp game (i.e. guilds/clans/units/regiments/etc and TS/Vent/etc). The critical thinkers, regardless of age, figured this out, and enjoy pvp gaming. Everyone else whines on the internet.

I'm baffled that it's the Millenials that get the rap for being entitled.

#54 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

View PostbobF, on 13 January 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

I'm a fail troll, yet the post previous to yours illustrates my points perfectly. We need systems that "ease" bads into competitive play, when they've already been here forever, in every pvp game (i.e. guilds/clans/units/regiments/etc and TS/Vent/etc). The critical thinkers, regardless of age, figured this out, and enjoy pvp gaming. Everyone else whines on the internet.

Today's "bad" could be tomorrow's good - paying - player, unless we're to believe the good players were all born being good... lol... they were bads too, once... how soon they forget... But if we're just going to encourage seal-clubbing along with laughable shouts of "this is war!" while defending free-wins, the "bad" is logically going to laugh at the stupidity and hypocrisy of it all and spend his time - and money - elsewhere.

In the end, it's PGI's problem since their paychecks depend upon bringing in new players, but seal-clubbing generally is not considered a successful tactic to encourage when designing a game where there's no real money to be had by the players.

Edited by oldradagast, 13 January 2015 - 04:59 PM.

#55 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

View PostbobF, on 13 January 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

they either want to derp around a map with 23 other clueless noobs or basically re-enact the Clan invasion strictly on lore.

Not seeing the problem.

#56 Tywren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

What I've been seeing, though, are some groups that seem to have a culture of disrespect to others (and by virtue to themselves). When called on it the responses have been "We're having fun" or "We're xxx we don't care about anyone else."

More than anything else I feel these behaviors are what is really going to hinder and destroy CW and the game overall. We know how difficult these fights are just as it is but the sometimes hostile and negative nature of some units and individuals are what is going to make people just not care and keep people from playing and supporting the game we love. It's a shame how short sighted some individuals are but that is the nature of some humans, isn't it?

I agree, the bad attatudes from many of the "This is pro hardcore war mode! Get Gud, Get Rekt, or GTFO!" players are one of the bigget things driving many away from CW (i'd say it the #1 thing, but that can be debated), And it's not just new players. I've been playing this game sence the "base" in Assault mode was nothing more than a colored square on the ground, and Hunchys with 400XL engines and as many small lasers as you could pack on where breaking the limits of the games engine; and the disgusting vitrol has really turned me off of CW as a whole.

So what do we do? Myself and my unit (Clan Diamond Shark : Diamond Shiver) are making a pledge to work with and to try and help those who wish to come into the fold. Those who wish to push themselves and improve themselves while being mature respectful individuals who don't hide behind the anonymous nature of the internet.

I'm open to thoughts, perspectives and more. I'd like to see a real dialog as I think until PGI stands up and does something we're going to have to police ourselves.

Seyla

Honestly without PGI chipping in, thats about the most you can do. Now if PGI where to lend a hand, and start handing out sanctions (such as being locked out from CW for X number of drop windows) for poor conduct, not only to offending players, but to their unit as well, i think you'd start to see this dry up really fast. If nothing else it would cause the unit leaders to start kicking out their trouble makers.

But like i said that would require PGI stepping up.

#57 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

View PostTywren, on 13 January 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

I agree, the bad attatudes from many of the "This is pro hardcore war mode! Get Gud, Get Rekt, or GTFO!" players are one of the bigget things driving many away from CW (i'd say it the #1 thing, but that can be debated), And it's not just new players. I've been playing this game sence the "base" in Assault mode was nothing more than a colored square on the ground, and Hunchys with 400XL engines and as many small lasers as you could pack on where breaking the limits of the games engine; and the disgusting vitrol has really turned me off of CW as a whole.

Honestly without PGI chipping in, thats about the most you can do. Now if PGI where to lend a hand, and start handing out sanctions (such as being locked out from CW for X number of drop windows) for poor conduct, not only to offending players, but to their unit as well, i think you'd start to see this dry up really fast. If nothing else it would cause the unit leaders to start kicking out their trouble makers.

But like i said that would require PGI stepping up.

I wasn't here quite in closed Beta, but I recall the painted squares on the ground, the vanishing HUD bug, etc.

But you hit the nail on the head. The try-hards more than anything else are killing this game mode. It doesn't matter if you win or lose if the game was a miserable waste of time and the other people you were playing with were complete tools.

This isn't "war" or "real life" or any other sad metaphor used to explain away bad behavior by bratty man-children who get a sadistic thrill out of beating up vastly inferior opponents while trumpeting their skills over the free wins. It's a game - nothing more - and if it's not fun to play, it will die.

Edited by oldradagast, 13 January 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#58 Bows3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 229 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • Location3 time World Champion

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

While I agree with the points in this thread, what I fail to understand, is WHY do people not bring their A game to CW, and then complain (looking at you Inner Sphere pilots) about their "trash tier IS 'mechs" like, WTF do IS pilots not realize they have more powerful 'mechs? Dragon 1N, Firestarter A. H, and S, Thunderbolt 5SS and 9S, and that's not even all of them! Most matches my unit RA, the Restless Adders, play in CW, we win, and at least one person on the enemy team whines about their trash tier 'mechs. WHY!? Makes it difficult to take the points in this thread seriously.

#59 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:54 PM

View PostbobF, on 13 January 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

View Postoldradagast, on 13 January 2015 - 06:28 PM, said:

I wasn't here quite in closed Beta, but I recall the painted squares on the ground, the vanishing HUD bug, etc.

But you hit the nail on the head. The try-hards more than anything else are killing this game mode. It doesn't matter if you win or lose if the game was a miserable waste of time and the other people you were playing with were complete tools.

This isn't "war" or "real life" or any other sad metaphor used to explain away bad behavior by bratty man-children who get a sadistic thrill out of beating up vastly inferior opponents while trumpeting their skills over the free wins. It's a game - nothing more - and if it's not fun to play, it will die.

Posted Image

#60 Tywren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

View PostBows3r, on 13 January 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

While I agree with the points in this thread, what I fail to understand, is WHY do people not bring their A game to CW, and then complain (looking at you Inner Sphere pilots) about their "trash tier IS 'mechs" like, WTF do IS pilots not realize they have more powerful 'mechs? Dragon 1N, Firestarter A. H, and S, Thunderbolt 5SS and 9S, and that's not even all of them! Most matches my unit RA, the Restless Adders, play in CW, we win, and at least one person on the enemy team whines about their trash tier 'mechs. WHY!? Makes it difficult to take the points in this thread seriously.

This highlights a point i've been thinking on and off about. One of the issues with CW is that people equate it with everyone dropping in custom kitted, min/maxed mechs. This leads to the complaints of cookie cutter drops (note the complaint threads about Timber Wolves, Stromcrows, and T-Bolt 9S spam drops).

Now in BT cannon, unless you where the homeguard for a capital world, or say Victors personal unit, you didn't have the luxuary of being able to field only top tier mechs, and equipment. To emulate this why not have everyone's drop deck randomly generated from the IS/Clan mechs (depending on their faction) in thier roster? In Fact, as you gain ranks with that faction, you could unlock the drop deck slots so that those slots are no longer randomized.

Sorry, off topic for the thread i know. I'm just tossing out random thoughts.

Edited by Tywren, 13 January 2015 - 07:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users