• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 505 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:33 AM

View PostBlakkstar, on 13 January 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:

I'd like to see a response article the condemns modern gamers for their lazy, risk-averse, approach to games and their demand for above-average win rates for everybody based entirely upon mythical magic matchmaking algorithms that don't and can't exist.

Every game you lose has one common element: you.

Lol oh really? So the 12-1, 12-0, 12-2 games are just the individual player experiencing it?

Ignorance at its finest!

#22 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:37 AM

View PostRampancyTW, on 12 January 2015 - 11:57 PM, said:

Strive to play better until you stop losing. Watch your problems magically disappear.

I don't know man. If I can take a Cicada and do 900 damage and get 4 kills (the only 4 kills for my team) then I don't know how much harder I can strive to play better. Does this game have a Backpack of Carrying so I can get +1 to my Carry skill? :P

#23 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:38 AM

IMHO, the matchmaker has a far lower impact on battles than most people think. The peek phase is what does most teams in - one team gets more mechs in position to shoot at fewer mechs on the other side, and it's over.

Or, a DireWolf {Richard Cameron} around at the start of a match, arrives too late to make a difference, and it's over.

OR, someone starts throwing missiles at one of your front running mechs, they cower behind cover, the rest of the team falters, and it's over.

OR, someone gets impatient at the start of a match, tries to force a push, dies, blames the matchmaker, and it's over.

OOOOOR, your team has some great builds, but they don't synergise, and it's over.

#24 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:39 AM

LOL, is this ANOTHER "MWO is P2W" thread?

#25 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 13 January 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

IMHO, the matchmaker has a far lower impact on battles than most people think. The peek phase is what does most teams in - one team gets more mechs in position to shoot at fewer mechs on the other side, and it's over.

Or, a DireWolf {Richard Cameron} around at the start of a match, arrives too late to make a difference, and it's over.

OR, someone starts throwing missiles at one of your front running mechs, they cower behind cover, the rest of the team falters, and it's over.

OR, someone gets impatient at the start of a match, tries to force a push, dies, blames the matchmaker, and it's over.

OOOOOR, your team has some great builds, but they don't synergise, and it's over.

And why am I mostly on those sides? What is the math or reason for that one? I get if I played like ass, and I get being stuck on the scrub team some of the time, but I get it the better part of 70% of the time. In my last like 10 games, ive been on the winning side 3 times.... if we go up to my last 15 games, 5 in total. Whats the reasoning behind that one? And its not like Me playing better would make to much of a difference, 12-2 wipes are just your team sucking in every aspect imaginable, no single person is going to turn that around.

#26 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:51 AM

Personally, I would like pilot skills and modules nerfed a bit. Trials having good loadouts really improved the game a bit. Now reducing the delta between a fully kitted/mastered mech and a newly acquired one with the same weapons loadout would further improve things.

#27 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:02 AM

View PostVoivode, on 13 January 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

I don't know man. If I can take a Cicada and do 900 damage and get 4 kills (the only 4 kills for my team) then I don't know how much harder I can strive to play better. Does this game have a Backpack of Carrying so I can get +1 to my Carry skill? :P
A couple nights ago I narrowly lost a match with 5 kills, 4 assists, 1000 damage in a Locust. I might have killed the last 3 guys, but I sacrificed too much armor getting greedy against a Raven earlier in the game.

Your play will never guarantee a win, but it does have a big impact. My best-performing mechs are also my winningest by a wide margin.

Edited by RampancyTW, 13 January 2015 - 07:03 AM.

#28 Impossible Wasabi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 462 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:22 AM

At this point, the Space Pope would rather see a ranking system as opposed to the terrible matchmaker we currently have.

Perhaps, the game could simply bump you up from Level 1 (completely new) to Level 5 (above average) based on your stats (K/D, Dmg, Match Score and W/L). It could do something similar to the current matchmaker and try to match you to people on the same level and if that isn't possible it could start expanding (so if someone is Level 3, it would aim for other Level 3 pilots and then expand +/- 1 level).

The Space Pope would be far more happy to face consistently better opponents with consistently better teammates to support him, instead of being sacrificed to the slaughter when he is matched with a terrible team.

What's annoying isn't losing, what is annoying is losing because you get put on a team where most players don't seem to understand the basics of the game (although the Space Pope does not blame them for this, but it does ruin his experience when he is expected to take out 5+ mechs per match).

Honesty, the Space Pope would at this point just prefer random drops based on weight, at least then he could chalk up his losses to bad luck rather than an atrocious matchmaker.

Edited by The True Space Pope, 13 January 2015 - 07:28 AM.

#29 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:29 AM

blame stats for some of this. When games starting having viewable player stats you start to get this. People get stuck on those numbers. My W/L ratio is bad so therefore they blame everyone else and stop having fun.

win or lose, the goal should be your personal enjoyment. Sucks being on teams that suck but did I fun?

Hell, I end up in rounds where I barely get to do anything because my team crushed them in minutes.

Also, not everyone can be good or get better...there is a ceiling for skill that no matter how much time you put in you just do get better.

Edited by Bigbacon, 13 January 2015 - 07:30 AM.

#30 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:30 AM

View PostRampancyTW, on 12 January 2015 - 11:57 PM, said:

Strive to play better until you stop losing. Watch your problems magically disappear.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have a clue how things are rigged.

#31 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:35 AM

View PostBellatorMonk, on 13 January 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

Spoken like someone who doesn't have a clue how things are rigged.
Things aren't "rigged". There has to be as many losers as there are winners.
Everybody wants to win more than they lose, and when they don't, it's because "matchmaker is broken." If you want to win more than you lose, you have to EARN it. And you earn it by continuously playing better than however good you think you are.

#32 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:50 AM

View PostRampancyTW, on 13 January 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

The better you are, the harder your Elo score will force you to carry.

This right here is exactly part of the problem "high ELO" players shouldn't even be in games with "low ELO" players. At all. Ever. People should only be playing with and against people of their own approximate skill level. Naturally there should be some variance, but it shouldn't be putting players at something like a 2500 rating with/against players who are just starting out at 1500 or whatever the hidden numbers are.

View PostRampancyTW, on 13 January 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

Everybody wants to win more than they lose, and when they don't, it's because "matchmaker is broken."

It's not about wanting to "win more than [I] lose", it's about wanting good, competitive games rather than slaughterfests.

#33 Wolfwood592

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 505 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:51 AM

Everybody wants to win more than they lose, and when they don't, it's because "matchmaker is broken." If you want to win more than you lose, you have to EARN it. And you earn it by continuously playing better than however good you think you are.

LOL

so your saying that a 12-4 match where said player gets 3-4 kills and 500-600 damage while the rest of the team struggles between 100-200 damage OR less with 0-1 kills is said players fault?

your logic is.....interesting

Edited by Wolfwood592, 13 January 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#34 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:54 AM

Easy to say when you are playing a fast moving lag shield light Locust and against pugs that ignore back shooting lights like you. As a Medium or heavier..team work is required even more with 12 man matches. 8 man matches allowed Heroes in the days or old.

As a matter of fact you were in my last match and attempted to get in our backfield and started back shotting me. I called for our lights to attend to you so I could focus my Assault's firepower on larger mechs and because Elo graced my team with some better people..they listened and got your attention off me.

Your team lost 12-2..your "elevated game" didn't do **** against a team that is not filled with window lickers. You were placed on a team and expected to carry yet your team lost despite your individual skill.

My team won because we shared the damage taken and given instead of soloist running around scoring damage to be King Window Licker of the match.
Now on the other hand..had my team had the window lickers, they would have ignored you and let you rack up 1000pts...but guess what Elo decided that match?

#35 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

View PostRampancyTW, on 13 January 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

A couple nights ago I narrowly lost a match with 5 kills, 4 assists, 1000 damage in a Locust. I might have killed the last 3 guys, but I sacrificed too much armor getting greedy against a Raven earlier in the game.

Your play will never guarantee a win, but it does have a big impact. My best-performing mechs are also my winningest by a wide margin.

I'd say at that point you've made a pretty tremendous impact for a 20 ton mech. If you've already killed 5 then getting those other three means you killed 2 of 3 lances by yourself in the lightest of light mechs. That's your teammates not showing up to fight. Can those little Locust legs even handle the load of all that carrying?

Edited by Voivode, 13 January 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#36 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

View PostWolfwood592, on 13 January 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

LOL

so your saying that a 12-4 match where said player gets 3-4 kills and 500-600 damage while the rest of the team struggles between 100-200 damage OR less with 0-1 kills is said players fault?

your logic is.....interesting
I'm sure you never win matches where you score 1 kill, 2 assists, and all of 200 damage, either.

I don't have a 1.31 W/L solo-only because matchmaker likes me, I can assure you of that.

#37 Wolfwood592

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 505 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostRampancyTW, on 13 January 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

I'm sure you never win matches where you score 1 kill, 2 assists, and all of 200 damage, either.

I don't have a 1.31 W/L solo-only because matchmaker likes me, I can assure you of that.

ahaha nice response, didn't expect anything else!

#38 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:03 AM

View PostBellatorMonk, on 13 January 2015 - 07:54 AM, said:

Easy to say when you are playing a fast moving lag shield light Locust and against pugs that ignore back shooting lights like you. As a Medium or heavier..team work is required even more with 12 man matches. 8 man matches allowed Heroes in the days or old.

As a matter of fact you were in my last match and attempted to get in our backfield and started back shotting me. I called for our lights to attend to you so I could focus my Assault's firepower on larger mechs and because Elo graced my team with some better people..they listened and got your attention off me.

Your team lost 12-2..your "elevated game" didn't do **** against a team that is not filled with window lickers. You were placed on a team and expected to carry yet your team lost despite your individual skill.

My team won because we shared the damage taken and given instead of soloist running around scoring damage to be King Window Licker of the match.
Now on the other hand..had my team had the window lickers, they would have ignored you and let you rack up 1000pts...but guess what Elo decided that match?
I actually switched to my Jenner after that map. Locust doesn't have the cooling efficiency to have as big of an impact on hot maps unless the game drags out a while.

Sometimes I lose and there's nothing I could have done better, yeah. It just doesn't upset me really, because I know I win plenty of games where I did jack all.

#39 Wolfwood592

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 505 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:05 AM

View PostRampancyTW, on 13 January 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

I actually switched to my Jenner after that map. Locust doesn't have the cooling efficiency to have as big of an impact on hot maps unless the game drags out a while.

Sometimes I lose and there's nothing I could have done better, yeah. It just doesn't upset me really, because I know I win plenty of games where I did jack all.

lol an excuse from such a carry hard player?????

Your just too good for matchmaking bro?!?!?! Teach us the ways of the master

Edited by Wolfwood592, 13 January 2015 - 08:05 AM.

#40 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:08 AM

View PostWolfwood592, on 13 January 2015 - 08:05 AM, said:

lol an excuse from such a carry hard player?????

Your just too good for matchmaking bro?!?!?! Teach us the ways of the master
You're not going to win more if you just expect to win more without getting better. If you want to win more, you gotta stay ahead of your average performance.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users