#41 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:06 PM

View PostThomasMarik, on 15 January 2015 - 10:58 PM, said:

Incorrect. It is very easy to pug and make these services fit your needs. FWLM has been doing it successfully for 2 years.

It's as easy as clicking "Launch" and automatically having VOIP? Oh it's not? Then it is not "very easy". It's maybe "Not super hard".

#42 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:07 PM

I don't care if they put in a voip or not as long as I am able to mute people who are talking that I have no interest in listening too. It's why I use TS now because there are times when even some of my teammates are just annoying the carp out of this old man and it's far better for me to mute them then to have serious meltdown. Good on them for trying to increase team work as I am always for it but if I have to listen to someone tell me how to play the game who clearly ahs no idea what they are talking about, I am either going to mute them, or shoot them.

I seriously doubt that they will put in a voip system that they don't have a mute or opt out button for. At the very least, I should be able to find a way to turn the volume down so they can listen to themselves pontificate about the mastery of their plan while I'm off winning the game for them.

#43 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:07 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 15 January 2015 - 11:00 PM, said:

so important that we got by for 3 years without it.

Hundreds of my, and my team members death can be directly attributed to not having proper voice comms.
The ability to instantly and easily communicate will greatly improve the way the game plays for many players.

Yes there will be people who abuse this system. You can mute them, and if they're really bad - report them.
Yes there will still be bad players, but with some help they will hopefully be less bad.

#44 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:08 PM

View PostMercules, on 15 January 2015 - 11:05 PM, said:

Oh you mean all those options that don't work and therefore basically don't exist for PuGging... yeah... PUGS don't use those because they can't. By the time you got the whole 12 members of a PuG on the same server in the same channel the match would be over.

Funny I've been in hundreds of drops where the TS channel was joined by the drop members before any mech was on the battlefield. Yes I am talking about PUG drops. These other options do work, and work very well. You should try them. Teamwork is OP.

Edited by Death Drow, 15 January 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#45 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

View PostThomasMarik, on 15 January 2015 - 11:03 PM, said:

Yup. That is exactly what I am saying. 3rd party servers have numberous advantages over anythign PGI can pump out. The big one is moderation. Another is quality.

*Game Starts*
"Hey everyone join this TS channel quick"
*no one joins*

Man that's some quality right there. VOIP is desperately needed both in the PUG queue and in the group queue for groups smaller than 12 mans. CW coming out just makes communication even more important.

#46 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

Current VOIP: Download and install TS. Search forums for a public TS server. Connect and log in, ask where to find people who want to group up. Locate a group ready to drop. Alt-Tab to MWO, send friend invite, join group, wait for group members to ready up, launch group queue game search. 15 minute process. 10 minute if you're stick with same group for next match. Feel extra lucky if you happened to get into a large group, otherwise prepare for stompage.

Future VOIP: Click "Play Now". 0 minute process.

I fail to see how this can be argued as a bad addition to MWO.

I'm definitely in favor of a Press To Talk key requirement (i.e. no voice activation) so we don't hear random bodily noises from unsuspecting (or uncaring) folks.

#47 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:12 PM

I don't really want to get in an argument about it. What's done is done. I'm not happy that dev resources are going towards this, I would much rather and still would want a command wheel. However practically everytghign else in teh Town Hall is something I'm happy about so Well just see where this lands.

#48 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:13 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 15 January 2015 - 11:09 PM, said:

*Game Starts*
"Hey everyone join this TS channel quick"
*no one joins*

Man that's some quality right there. VOIP is desperately needed both in the PUG queue and in the group queue for groups smaller than 12 mans. CW coming out just makes communication even more important.

So you think those same people who couldn't be bothered to join TS, RC, ETC VOIP are miraculously going to become team oriented now?
I'm not so optimistic.

Edited by Death Drow, 15 January 2015 - 11:13 PM.

#49 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

View PostDeath Drow, on 15 January 2015 - 11:08 PM, said:

Funny I've been in hundreds of drops where the TS channel was all joined by the drop members before any mech was on the battlefield. Yes I am talking about PUG drops. These other options do work, and work very well. You should try them. Teamwork is OP.

Hundreds out of Thousands, or what? I'm willing to bet more than half the current active population of MWO doesn't have the latest TS installed. I only do because of my unit. Otherwise my friend has a small mumble server for a small gaming group and that is what we primarily use for games. In come cases we just use the built in VOIP especially if we include PuGs.

A team based game that generates matches with randomly thrown together people that doesn't have built in VOIP is asinine in 2015.

#50 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:16 PM

View PostMercules, on 15 January 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

Hundreds out of Thousands, or what? I'm willing to bet more than half the current active population of MWO doesn't have the latest TS installed. I only do because of my unit. Otherwise my friend has a small mumble server for a small gaming group and that is what we primarily use for games. In come cases we just use the built in VOIP especially if we include PuGs.

A team based game that generates matches with randomly thrown together people that doesn't have built in VOIP is asinine in 2015.

The vast majority of my drops, on this and my other account, are premade drops. I did at one time join in on the pug drops on a couple of the ts servers where once a team was formed by the matchmaker that team would pick a channel and all join that channel. Did this quite a bit for a good amount of time.

What's assinine is expecting a game development company to have to organize it's playerbase for them.

Edited by Death Drow, 15 January 2015 - 11:21 PM.

#51 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:19 PM

View PostDeath Drow, on 15 January 2015 - 11:13 PM, said:

So you think those same people who couldn't be bothered to join TS, RC, ETC VOIP are miraculously going to become team oriented now?
I'm not so optimistic.

There are so many reasons people won't join a TS server it's ridiculous. The most obvious being:

MOST PUGS DON'T KNOW THOSE SERVERS ARE OUT THERE

However a built in VOIP will get used. It might be used in the wrong way occasionally, but it will mostly get used correctly.

In fact, tonight in CW it could have been of use even though my unit was in TS together. We dropped CW with 10 people in one match and it would have been a lot handier to communicate with our PuGs that way then have to type things in. We could have kept our TS going and just chatted with them when needed. Since you can hotkey mute yourself in TS you don't even have to listen to an echo.

#52 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

View PostDeath Drow, on 15 January 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

What's assinine is expecting a game development company to have to organize it's playerbase for them.

Under your logic it should be up to player to manually keep track of damage on little printed score cards instead of PGI having to manage for people.

#53 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

View PostThomasMarik, on 15 January 2015 - 11:12 PM, said:

I don't really want to get in an argument about it. What's done is done. I'm not happy that dev resources are going towards this, I would much rather and still would want a command wheel. However practically everytghign else in teh Town Hall is something I'm happy about so Well just see where this lands.

That is pretty much were I am at, I could spend all night arguing, but the debate is over (and by debate I mean lack of new and fixed features, while C3 is reimplemented). I seriously hope it is everything you guys wanted and that it encourages you to spend more money on the game (premium time for voip, that would be hilarious).

#54 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:22 PM

View PostMercules, on 15 January 2015 - 11:19 PM, said:

There are so many reasons people won't join a TS server it's ridiculous. The most obvious being:

MOST PUGS DON'T KNOW THOSE SERVERS ARE OUT THERE

However a built in VOIP will get used. It might be used in the wrong way occasionally, but it will mostly get used correctly.

In fact, tonight in CW it could have been of use even though my unit was in TS together. We dropped CW with 10 people in one match and it would have been a lot handier to communicate with our PuGs that way then have to type things in. We could have kept our TS going and just chatted with them when needed. Since you can hotkey mute yourself in TS you don't even have to listen to an echo.

Did you invite those pugs to your TS? CI does when we have pugs in CW with us.

View PostTroutmonkey, on 15 January 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

Under your logic it should be up to player to manually keep track of damage on little printed score cards instead of PGI having to manage for people.

Wrong.

#55 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:24 PM

The vast majority of my drops, on this and my other account, are premade drops. I did at one time join in on the pug drops on a couple of the ts servers where once a team was made that team would pick a channel and all join that channel. Did this quite a bit for a good amount of time.

Premade =/= PuG

How the hell you could all join the right channel when most of your PuG probably didn't even have TS on much less be on the right server to begin with is a mystery.

Built in VOIP should be standard for nearly any game that lets random groups form. Payday2 has VOIP and you could easily give out TS info prior to launching a mission unlike MWO which throws you into a group and starts counting down. I've been tossed into games and 3 seconds after my screen stops being black heard Bitchin' Betty doing the checklist.

#56 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:24 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 15 January 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

That is pretty much were I am at, I could spend all night arguing, but the debate is over (and by debate I mean lack of new and fixed features, while C3 is reimplemented). I seriously hope it is everything you guys wanted and that it encourages you to spend more money on the game (premium time for voip, that would be hilarious).

Considering PGI had to spend money to create it then that is only fair that they make it a premium only feature.
+1 Suggestion.

View PostMercules, on 15 January 2015 - 11:24 PM, said:

Premade =/= PuG

How the hell you could all join the right channel when most of your PuG probably didn't even have TS on much less be on the right server to begin with is a mystery.

Built in VOIP should be standard for nearly any game that lets random groups form. Payday2 has VOIP and you could easily give out TS info prior to launching a mission unlike MWO which throws you into a group and starts counting down. I've been tossed into games and 3 seconds after my screen stops being black heard Bitchin' Betty doing the checklist.

Really you are a founder and you don't know how this was done?

#57 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:25 PM

I politely disagree. I think it is definitely upon the company to facilitate player organization. People choose the path of least resistance, so if it's easy to organize using the tools available (examples: Facebook, Twitter), then their product has a much greater chance of success.

#58 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:25 PM

VOIP is over rated. Why would anyone use it anyway? i tried listening to it, it was only some tryhards mouthing and then crying extremely hard over seeing an LRM one time and it might have landed in their soup or something.

View PostLil Cthulhu, on 15 January 2015 - 08:28 PM, said:

And you, sir, are a prime example of someone who should stick to single player games.

People like myself who can type faster than most people speak think VOIP is redundent. Besides, prior text i can bring back by opening the chat window, voices only exist at the moment they are spoken. Why you enjoy hearing tryhards screaming because you don't know their personal maneuvers/slang/vocab' i am not sure but those players have mental issues.

#59 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:27 PM

Anyways... seriously I hope VOIP works out well for you guys that couldn't bother to use TS all this time. I really hope that it doesn't chase away new players too.

Myself... you won't hear my voice on the in game voip.

#60 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:27 PM

View PostDeath Drow, on 15 January 2015 - 11:22 PM, said:

Did you invite those pugs to your TS? CI does when we have pugs in CW with us.

No... our TS fills up with just members, why would we give the address to some random person we will likely only see that once for less than 30 minutes? To me that sort of setup is on the game developer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users