338 replies to this topic

#61 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:28 PM

View PostXenonCx, on 15 January 2015 - 11:25 PM, said:

I politely disagree. I think it is definitely upon the company to facilitate player organization. People choose the path of least resistance, so if it's easy to organize using the tools available (examples: Facebook, Twitter), then their product has a much greater chance of success.

Oh I agree with that sentiment Xenon. I worded my statement intentionally 'have to organize their playerbase for them'.

View PostMercules, on 15 January 2015 - 11:27 PM, said:

No... our TS fills up with just members, why would we give the address to some random person we will likely only see that once for less than 30 minutes? To me that sort of setup is on the game developer.

if you didn't invite them then you've no cause to complain that they couldn't hear you

#62 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

View PostDeath Drow, on 15 January 2015 - 11:24 PM, said:

Considering PGI had to spend money to create it then that is only fair that they make it a premium only feature.
+1 Suggestion.

Right, lets only give self entitled people with too much money the ability to speak.
"Hear me peasants... for I am a paid user and you shall all bow down to me"

For the record I don't think all paid users will be like that (myself being one), but if you make it a paid only feature you're suddenly turning it into the have and have nots...

#63 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:31 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 15 January 2015 - 11:29 PM, said:

Right, lets only give self entitled people with too much money the ability to speak.

For the record I don't think all paid users will be like that (myself being one), but if you make it a paid only feature you're suddenly turning it into the have and have nots...

Private matches already requires two premium users.

#64 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:31 PM

View PostDeath Drow, on 15 January 2015 - 11:24 PM, said:

Really you are a founder and you don't know how this was done?

Back when there was an "official" TS server, yeah it could be done. That was what? 2 years ago before they could no longer say there was an official TS server and everyone scattered? Even back then you would run into half the 8 man not having TS on a regular basis. I know it worked occasionally... but most of us don't want, "Well occasionally we manage to find enough people with the proper version of TS installed that can get the address into it in like 30 seconds and into the right channel so that we can play the match with 3/4s of the group on coms."

Most of us want: Hit launch... chat with group in game. Done.

I'll remind you it is 2015 and numerous games have been doing just that for 10+ years.

#65 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 15 January 2015 - 11:29 PM, said:

Agreed. if they are going to do it then do it. We don't need the Private Server fiasco all over again.

#66 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

View PostHimseIf, on 15 January 2015 - 11:25 PM, said:

VOIP is over rated. Why would anyone use it anyway? i tried listening to it, it was only some tryhards mouthing and then crying extremely hard over seeing an LRM one time and it might have landed in their soup or something.

People like myself who can type faster than most people speak think VOIP is redundent. Besides, prior text i can bring back by opening the chat window, voices only exist at the moment they are spoken. Why you enjoy hearing tryhards screaming because you don't know their personal maneuvers/slang/vocab' i am not sure but those players have mental issues.

I can't type pretty fast sometimes, but I can't type while also engaging in combat. What's more is that while engaged in combat I'm unlikely to look at the chat window until I'm out of combat.

What I can do while fighting is talk and listen. Your chat communication means nothing if no one will read it in time

#67 Kutfroat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 228 posts

View PostDavers, on 15 January 2015 - 07:15 PM, said:

Now there is no reason to separate any of the queues.

it is good it´s coming, but no reason to let groups back into soloqueue, not at all. it´s not just because there is voip, soloplayers suddenly start to work together like a real team. it might be better sometimes, but it is far from a real team.

so no, they should keep queues divided.

#68 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:33 PM

View PostMercules, on 15 January 2015 - 11:31 PM, said:

Back when there was an "official" TS server, yeah it could be done. That was what? 2 years ago before they could no longer say there was an official TS server and everyone scattered? Even back then you would run into half the 8 man not having TS on a regular basis. I know it worked occasionally... but most of us don't want, "Well occasionally we manage to find enough people with the proper version of TS installed that can get the address into it in like 30 seconds and into the right channel so that we can play the match with 3/4s of the group on coms."

Most of us want: Hit launch... chat with group in game. Done.

I'll remind you it is 2015 and numerous games have been doing just that for 10+ years.

Numerous games have also dropped that feature because it cost them playerbase due to abuse.

#69 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:35 PM

View PostDeath Drow, on 15 January 2015 - 11:28 PM, said:

if you didn't invite them then you've no cause to complain that they couldn't hear you

2015... most games have had integrated VOIP for 10+ years.

Unit TS server fills up. Not paying to have more spots for random dude that I'll have to spend 2 minutes at the start of the match getting into the server when the damn game should have had VOIP in Beta.

View PostDeath Drow, on 15 January 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

Numerous games have also dropped that feature because it cost them playerbase due to abuse.

Numerous? Got a news article from any of them stating that?

#70 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

View PostDeath Drow, on 15 January 2015 - 11:31 PM, said:

Private matches already requires two premium users.

And? I'm not being forced into those games with those people. There really is no comparison here.

It'd be like requiring people to buy into the game before being able to use the forums. It'd lead to a class system where people can go around saying how much better they are.

#71 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

View PostThomasMarik, on 15 January 2015 - 11:32 PM, said:

Agreed. if they are going to do it then do it. We don't need the Private Server fiasco all over again.

I was joking about it being premium only. Although I wouldn't blame PGI one bit if they did make it that way. That would certainly help to cut out the trolls.

#72 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

View PostDeath Drow, on 15 January 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

I honestly cannot think of a game that dropped VOIP due to abuse. I do know one that went from a great VOIP solution (BF2) to a terrible friends only solution (BF3) and brought back much better VOIP in BF4 because the players demanded it.

#73 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:37 PM

View PostMercules, on 15 January 2015 - 11:35 PM, said:

2015... most games have had integrated VOIP for 10+ years.

Unit TS server fills up. Not paying to have more spots for random dude that I'll have to spend 2 minutes at the start of the match getting into the server when the damn game should have had VOIP in Beta.

Numerous? Got a news article from any of them stating that?

Seriously? Sure I could hunt down patch and update notes for you but I'm shocked you don't already know this. Are you simply trolling me? Not asking being a jerk just I'm really surprised you don't already know this. EQ got sued a long while back because of minor's hearing sex talk when they had their first voip.

#74 TamerSA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:39 PM

Personally not a fan of in-game VoIP. It usually boils down to flaming and raging...
The MWO community has been pretty good at avoiding the typical puberty rage in games, I've only ever seen one guy freak out on me in a match because he walked in front of me and damaged his leg -.-

But I would think that removing the hassle of typing is going to encourage more people to just flame and insult. I agree with the posts in here that if people did not go to the trouble to join a third party server, they probably didn't want the feature. If it is part of the game, muting is only going to make you even more of a target because you'll be the <racist term here> who refuses to use VoIP to listen to your most useless self proclaimed all star rage when he tries to solo a team game.

Separate queues would just be stupid, but I don't really see the game gaining as much as people think it will with VoIP.

Edited by TamerSA, 15 January 2015 - 11:47 PM.

#75 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:39 PM

View PostDeath Drow, on 15 January 2015 - 11:37 PM, said:

Seriously? Sure I could hunt down patch and update notes for you but I'm shocked you don't already know this. Are you simply trolling me? Not asking being a jerk just I'm really surprised you don't already know this. EQ got sued a long while back because of minor's hearing sex talk when they had their first voip.

You mean EQ which currently has VOIP? Yeah... that seems... like.... huh they currently have VOIP. :)

#76 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:41 PM

View PostMercules, on 15 January 2015 - 11:39 PM, said:

You mean EQ which currently has VOIP? Yeah... that seems... like.... huh they currently have VOIP. :)

notice I wrote 'their first voip'? Yeah... I guess... like... derp..

Sony won that lawsuit. Go figure it's Sony. Altered their EULA even more to better cover their rearend from future lawsuits and back came voip.

I'm sure you will admit that PGI is no Sony.

(No offense PGI)

Edited by Death Drow, 15 January 2015 - 11:44 PM.

#77 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:43 PM

View PostDeath Drow, on 15 January 2015 - 11:37 PM, said:

I just did some googling and the only thing I could find was them being sued because their VOIP supposedly violated some patent troll's intellectual property.

#78 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 15 January 2015 - 11:32 PM, said:

I can't type pretty fast sometimes, but I can't type while also engaging in combat. What's more is that while engaged in combat I'm unlikely to look at the chat window until I'm out of combat.

What I can do while fighting is talk and listen. Your chat communication means nothing if no one will read it in time

i read it in combat. i type too. It is funny that you think everyone speaks the same language, deaf people type in game just fine, but they can't hear "Atrus elsuvin" or whatever other peoples accents will render as in other peoples ears. Hence why i look at a built in VOIP as not going to change gameplay at all and don't know why people are excited about it.

#79 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

View PostDeath Drow, on 15 January 2015 - 11:41 PM, said:

notice I wrote 'their first voip'? Yeah... I guess... like... derp..

Yeah, and notice that they realized how stupid it was to not have it and put it back in?

#80 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:46 PM

View PostGumbyC2C, on 15 January 2015 - 11:43 PM, said:

I just did some googling and the only thing I could find was them being sued because their VOIP supposedly violated some patent troll's intellectual property.

Yeah that was another suit. You'll have to dig harder for the minor sex lawsuit. It's there. It happened. My brother worked for Sony-EQ in San Diego at that time.

The whole story is pretty hillarious really. Other than kids and sex of course.

Edited by Death Drow, 15 January 2015 - 11:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users