Doesn't 1.0 W/l Ratio Mean Matchmaker Is Working Well?

114 replies to this topic

#101 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:05 AM

I have never lost so many matches with a 3 Kill and sometimes even 4 Kill Advantage like in the past few days - in the ~16800 matches i dont remember more than 2.

Either the Team suddenly went wild and got slaughtered or my Ammo was emptied and all imploded.

Had a good streak recently and got my HBK 4J to +1 Win and now i go out and have a nice meal in celebration of my success. ;)

PS: Pommes Frites and Currywurst Mission acomplished!

Edited by Thorqemada, 21 January 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#102 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:12 AM

How does the MM work elo? Does makes a team of 12 random elos, then grabs players closest to that average for the other team? Or does it grab 12 close elo's and have randoms on the second team? Either way there will be an imbalance of elo's on a team to reach an average.

I don't think the MM should make one team at a time, it should make 2 teams at the same time balancing each side to the other as it goes.

For example, find an assault for team 1 with elo of 1500, find an assault for team two with a elo as close as possible. Then find the next assauslt for team 1 taking in account the difference in elo of the first two elos. And so on and so forth.

I think this would solve a lot of problems. But then again, maybe not enough people play.

#103 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:32 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 21 January 2015 - 01:39 AM, said:

The higher your Elo, the longer the wait.
It has always been that way.

Im always surprised when I get into a match quickly! Half the time I doing other things. Got an entire basket of laundry folded once :P.

I dont mind the wait really.

Edited by mogs01gt, 21 January 2015 - 06:32 AM.

#104 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:47 AM

As a Puglord:

When I was a newbie my WLR was 0.25.

In my archived stats, my WLR was 1.12.

In my current stats, my WLR is 1.2.

I say I am doing a good job of beating the MM. :)

#105 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

I'm unsure on how ELO is supposed to work so I can only say how it FEELS to play MWO now.
I feel like it's all on me when I solo pug. I despair at some of the play I see in games, both on my team and the opfor. In my cicada, I'll regularly out damage and out-survive my entire lance. If ELO is trying to match me with equal players, why then do I out perform them on a regular, consistent basis?
My W/L is currently 51.5% which is around average, but if I am tripling the damage output of the next guy down....what does that say of my teams?
Something is amiss here but I don't know what it is.

#106 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

View PostSgtKinCaiD, on 21 January 2015 - 04:54 AM, said:

@Divine Retribution : I agree with most of what you said but there are some misunderstandings :
  • The (now archived) stats were put in place with the first iteration of the ELO based MM. So actually, you don't have stats when the MM was only class based. It's a sad thing because the "new" ELO based MM was pre-seeded with those matchs.
  • In group, your ELO is multiplied by a certain amount to reflect your enhanced teamplay, etc. the more the heavier is the multiplier.
  • The actual MM doesn't specifically stack the odds against you : for him, a match between two average teams and a match beetwen an average team against a team composed of high/low ELO players are the same as long as the ELO sum up of both team are equal (or the average ELO score on both team). For the MM, both match have a 50/50 win rate for both team. It's nice on paper but the results on the field are more tendentious.

To point 1: It is true that some of the Elo-based MM games are in archived stats. But don't the vast majority of those games predate Elo? It's hard to say what impact Elo made on my archived W/L, but I don't think that impact is significant.

To point 2: I have seen suggestions (and even offered the same suggestion) that teams have their average Elo multiplied by a set number based upon group size which would enable multiple smaller groups to better compete against large groups. However I haven't seen any post by PGI stating that it is in place. I may have missed it but as far as I know such a multiplier does not exist.

Whether it exists or not, when playing in a group every player's Elo is ends up different than where it would be strictly pugging. The greater the discrepancy between player skills in a group, the greater the artificial Elo change (which becomes greater with each match played together). Those false Elo scores then skew the solo matches of those players until the Elo scores are readjusted to the levels of the players' skills.

To point 3: The stats PGI has shown us regarding combined Elo on each team doesn't back this up. One team almost always has an edge in combined Elo. It was stated that the matchmaker does predict a winner when creating the match. Elo changes at the end of the match primarily when a team is expected to win but loses and when a team is expected to lose but wins. That's why I'm curious about how accurately the MM predicts a winner.

In practice, it is safe to say that 12 average players will typically win against a group of 2 great players, 4 average players, and 6 pretty bad players. The examples I used were how I felt about some of the matches, they may be an exaggeration of reality, but that's how I feel about it.

Edited by Divine Retribution, 21 January 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#107 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

Man
Machine
Method

Method, meaning MM is equal across.

Machine, is the mech you are running... there are blatant p2w mechs out there (oxide/huggin as an example)..

Man is your own piloting and gunnery skills...

So if you want to git gud and beat elo then run broken mechs and builds... and l2p

#108 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

View PostMycrus, on 21 January 2015 - 05:36 PM, said:

there are blatant p2w mechs out there (oxide/huggin as an example)..

lolwut?

#109 Weirdjedi

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:05 PM

I'm definitely feeling some drastic change in how the matchmaker works. It had to have happened somewhere in the middle of December, after the winter event started but before the tournament. I used to be able to scrape by using brand new mechs. Now I can barely get a shot in. Either my team is moving way too fast or they are the ones being ran over.

All I know is it must be time for me to take a break. Losing 40 out of 50 matches isn't fun.

#110 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:07 AM

View PostEscef, on 21 January 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

lolwut?

Try one out with srm4s and weapon modules... easy as hell to farm with.

#111 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:03 AM

View PostMycrus, on 22 January 2015 - 12:07 AM, said:

Try one out with srm4s and weapon modules... easy as hell to farm with.

Been on the receiving end of it.

lolwut?

#112 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:25 AM

View PostEscef, on 22 January 2015 - 01:03 AM, said:

Been on the receiving end of it.

lolwut?

And you dont think they are op?

#113 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:21 AM

View PostMycrus, on 22 January 2015 - 02:25 AM, said:

And you dont think they are op?

Nope. Strong? Sure. OP? No.

EDIT: And most definitely NOT p2w.

Edited by Escef, 22 January 2015 - 05:21 AM.

#114 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:35 AM

View PostEscef, on 22 January 2015 - 05:21 AM, said:

Nope. Strong? Sure. OP? No.

EDIT: And most definitely NOT p2w.

Ah okay, got it.

Strong mech + me = OP

#115 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:45 AM

View PostMycrus, on 23 January 2015 - 12:35 AM, said:

Strong mech + me = OP

Possibly. A decent player in a mech they are comfortable with, even if the mech is horribly weak, can be OP.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users