Windows 10

128 replies to this topic

#61 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

I have shut it down and went back to Windows 7 for now. Web pages randomly load or give a error that server can't be found time to time. I guess there is no flash for Windows 10 yet, it won't let me down load it from Adobes website. I guess its alright as a OS on its face.... I wasn't able to find a all cpu meter that wasn't malware for Windows 10, but Objectdock does work in it so I guess its all good, lol.

#62 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

I have flash player running just fine. I took no extraordinary steps to install it.

Actually all the software I use in 7 is up and running in 10, though OCCT has a little trouble reading a few sensors.

Edited by Catamount, 23 January 2015 - 04:17 PM.

#63 0rionsbane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

i just have to say.. windows 7>8>8.1 and likely windows 10>8.1 because 8.1 has been just terrible
for a few reasons.
#1 windows decided to remove all of your working drivers and put theirs on there, had a long paragraph here decided to just say there are a ton of issues this can cause I had a few myself.
#2 one drive is pretty invasive, and less secure than keeping files locally. also it dose not turn off keeps coming back on unless you actually unlink your Microsoft account.
#3 Dll changes, many people got dll errors which are one of the most annoying things to fix. a majority of them were minor though.
#4 not fully backwards compatable, like every release of windows since they moved away from a backbone operating system (formerly dos on windows 95). Its just impossible to be fully comparable with out emulation if you change the system. Xp for example can run far more programs than windows 7, and windows 8.1 is even farther down that list.

all that being said id still get windows 10 only because I know I dont like 8.1 and I feel it being a lighter os system spec wise might work better on my laptop. and maybe will use multicore processors better because since 7 they kind of messed that up. but i would keep windows xp,7,and 8 over 8.1 and 10. been thinking of downgrading to xp, just because you know what i want in a os, i want it to work and xp works.

Edited by 0rionsbane, 23 January 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#64 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,669 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

Unless I missed it, what are you system specs besides the 7970?

1. Open case, clean out dust buildup on heatsinks.
2. Power Options - Best performance
3. Afterburner and set profile for run fans earlier.

#65 Pugnax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationSometimes Canada

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

Well this has turned out to be quite the exciting discussion and I'm excited for 10.

#66 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostCatamount, on 23 January 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

I have flash player running just fine. I took no extraordinary steps to install it.

Actually all the software I use in 7 is up and running in 10, though OCCT has a little trouble reading a few sensors.

Where did you get the download file at? When I got to adobes page... it is just blank where the download button should be....

View PostTarl Cabot, on 23 January 2015 - 07:49 PM, said:

Unless I missed it, what are you system specs besides the 7970?

1. Open case, clean out dust buildup on heatsinks.
2. Power Options - Best performance
3. Afterburner and set profile for run fans earlier.

Thanks for the advice Tarl.... I build systems and never rarely let my rigs have layers of dust on them, as in never. Power options are set to high performance.... Fan is set to 65% in CCC for the 7970.

System specs... FX-8350 at 5 ghz, custom water cooling loop I put together from the danger den.

16 gb of 1866 ddr3 ram

XFX 7970 3gb

Samsung 512 SSD, but running 10 on two seagate 7200 rpm drives for the test build.

Gigabyte FX990 UD3 revision 1.1

#67 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:53 AM

You're always going to have slippage on compatibility as OSes move further and further away from what software was designed to run on. 8 definitely did break some things though, no doubt about that.

I actually didn't realize OneDrive was some kind of problem on 8/8.1. In W10 it's handled very simply: there's a sync folder, you drop stuff into it, it's online, and if you don't want it taking up space on the drive as well, you just designate it "online-only". The Explorer integration and the fact that it's already set up, not to mention all the free space you can get promotionally right now (I'm up to 30GB I think?) makes it a pretty nice system. If I don't want MS "intruding" into stuff, well, I don't stick it on the cloud :) It's mostly been nice just for files I want hosted for others or shared between home/work/university like projects and papers.

View PostBill Lumbar, on 24 January 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

Where did you get the download file at? When I got to adobes page... it is just blank where the download button should be....

Yeah I think the Adobe site is having a bit of a meltdown over OS detection so it doesn't move forward to the download page.

Just go here and use the W8 version

http://get.adobe.com.../otherversions/

Strangely the flash issue didn't appear for me before so Adobe must have just recently broken their site or it doesn't work with later builds. Either way at least the workaround is easy.

#68 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:53 AM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 21 January 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

So I guess its Cryengine and Microsoft's fault that MWO Isn't optimized for all our gaming rigs then? I have been running Linux Mint for 8 years now, I could care less about its market share. IMO, it simply is my choice for a operating system. I don't just hate Windows, I just don't like where they are going in the last 3 years with there OS design choices. I mean hell, I stood by Vista and was fine putting it on my rigs, never really had a problem with it with any of my rigs. When Windows 7 came out, Microsoft had listened to its customers and improved from Vista. IMO, Windows 8 and 8.1 is just trash.

I have installed Windows 10 test build and played with it, but I have not tested MWO or any games with it yet. Can anyone really confirm that MWO improves enough on it to justify the upgrade? Anyone have a link or results of their own?

If you already have Windows 8/8.1 it doesn't matter, you get it for free, but if you don't have it already I am not sold that it would be worth it.

Here is a Quote from Phil Spencer regarding "their" vision for Windows 10.....

"For the Xbox team, this is the beginning of our discussion with fans about the work that we’re doing to bring gaming to the Windows 10 operating system. It’s really nice to finally be able to talk about this, we’ll continue the conversation throughout the year. We remain omitted to gaming on console, but we know that we have fans and gamers that also play on PC and phone.

It’s important that we build out the features that we have, learning from what we’ve done on console and helping make Windows 10 the best operating system we’ve ever created for gamers on PCs."

I sure hope they don't try to turn our PC's into the Xbox one.1 or just another OS for tabs and phones again. I mean why would he even bring up the part about gamers on phones when discussing a desktop OS? Seriously? :lol:

Here we have a company that creates and sells a Desktop OS, and yet they also create and sell their own gaming console. What motivation do they really have to step it up and make gaming on a PC with their "New shiny" OS coming a better gaming experience for PC gamers? BTW, don't forget about all those hard core phone gamers out there! Sounds kinda like a sales pitch to me.... I could be wrong though, time will tell.

Bill, I like you and agree with you on tons of things. Here is one area we part ways. I am a technical architect with more than I'd like to admit decades in the industry. I have been a Linux nut since kernel 1.1. I run primarily CentOS server and LinuxMint on my boxes and currently work in an Ubuntu environment.

Windows 8 UI needs to be separated from its technical underpinnings. Pretty much everything about 8's architecture is superior to 7. Up to and including exception handling, dealing with bad system timings and the internal message bus.

Having said that, I think Metro is a totally wasted POS. Apple went with "Apple everywhere" - TV, radio, music, email, calendars and so on. Microsoft went with "Identical interface everywhere" and seriously screwed the pooch on the desktop.

But there is no mistake: Windows 8 (technically) is a much better O/S than 7.

#69 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

I'm rather disappointed myself that MS insisted on keeping Metro apps around for 10. The tile interface is gone, and the apps can run in windows now so they're slightly less inept, but it's like having mobile applications on your desktop. Why would I bother using Metro Skype when I can just use Skype?

I suppose it doesn't really matter much since I rarely interact with them beyond Windows Update, and MS did keep around most (all?) of the legacy OS tools, like you can use the vastly more capable device manager instead of Metro's devices, but unless MS is going for some kind of simple user/power user divide by keeping both, I have no idea why they bother even maintaining or continuing development of these things.

Metro is bad, and Miscrosoft should feel bad.

Edited by Catamount, 24 January 2015 - 06:59 AM.

#70 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:32 AM

View PostAstrocanis, on 24 January 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

Bill, I like you and agree with you on tons of things. Here is one area we part ways. I am a technical architect with more than I'd like to admit decades in the industry. I have been a Linux nut since kernel 1.1. I run primarily CentOS server and LinuxMint on my boxes and currently work in an Ubuntu environment.

Windows 8 UI needs to be separated from its technical underpinnings. Pretty much everything about 8's architecture is superior to 7. Up to and including exception handling, dealing with bad system timings and the internal message bus.

Having said that, I think Metro is a totally wasted POS. Apple went with "Apple everywhere" - TV, radio, music, email, calendars and so on. Microsoft went with "Identical interface everywhere" and seriously screwed the pooch on the desktop.

I agree. Windows 8 is a much better program than 7, but since it's an OS, being 'better' at the cost of usability isn't worth it. Thus it never caught on, and windows 10 is seemingly taking very little inspiration from it.

#71 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

View PostAstrocanis, on 24 January 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

I agree with you, under the hood it is a step in the right direction for sure, as it should be an improvement, not a step backwards. I haven't said I am a Windows 8 or 8.1 hater, However I have said I have concerns about just where it is MS is trying to go in the future. I am extremely open minded in trying new OS's and have always been able to find my way in them.

I am not some die hard 7 only fan, Or a XP die hard, I am not that at all. Hell back in the Vista days I built many systems for clients and got them to go Vista instead of XP... and they all loved their new computers, almost 0 problems other then a driver issue here or there. I am just skeptical of the direction MS is going, and if others care about their privacy much, they would be too. I have talked to others in the field and I agree that it is a much lighter OS and as tons of potential.... as I have said before, we will see how it washes out.

I am really shocked that MS is giving out free updates for 7 users also...is this really confirmed? Yep, I just found it, it will be offered to 7 users a little bit after 8 users get it. Interesting.

Just booted back into Windows 10 and it looks like a new build is ready to try, down loading now.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 25 January 2015 - 07:15 AM.

#72 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

Yep go figure just as I get you a 9879 ISO built 9926 comes out

#73 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

View PostCatamount, on 24 January 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

Yep go figure just as I get you a 9879 ISO built 9926 comes out

I know right... Lol. Have you downloaded it yet? Installed or upgraded to it yet?

I just got done with the download and am getting ready to burn a disc and then I am gonna upgrade my current install to it. I am mostly against upgrading vs. clean install...but holy hell MWO takes forever to down load and patch!

I am having some issues with my internet provider tonight... server not found when I click on a website, drop in MWO.. this is in all my computers, not sure whats up, but it is kinda sucking. Anyone else having issues with drops, or error messages when starting MWO or after getting it to load up into the lab, but then it drops and says error?

Btw, thanks for the link to Adobe, it worked... Yeah I guess their site was jacked up the last couple days.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 24 January 2015 - 06:25 PM.

#74 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:15 PM

I have had 9926 up for a few hours now and it seems to be running fairly smooth. No issues so far and nice that everything seemed to take just fine with a upgrade vs. a clean install. In game performance seems to be on par with Windows 7 performance, only played two games so far though.

#75 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:57 PM

I had a few issues getting 9926 running proper-like, but after a rollback and letting windows handle things instead of forcing it to do stuff, it went fine.

Also had a failure to load after a WU for 9926, but a couple of reboots later, things seem to be fine.

Also...it wanted me to install Razer Synapse again. No idea why, might be leftover schmutz from the first time I loaded Synapse and borked it up.

Also....Hey Cortana, why don't you like non-Americans? :wacko: (FYI - set region to US to enable)

#76 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:20 AM

GPU, Mainboard and Network run Win10 with Win8.1 Drivers.

The Flash Player comes right with the Installation - at least if you use the Internet Explorer.
Adobe Reader had to be manualy downloaded and installed.
Java 8-31 works both 32 and 64 Bit.
Quicktime works
Skype is a preinstalled App.
Antivirus "Avira" Free installed and runs - Avast! Free did not install

Websites do load properly so far - a few minor Hickups when they use some exotic Login Precedure and stuff like our Internet Provider but i could go around that with a Login over a Subpage that uses a different Login Menu.

X-Fi Driver had to be installed per Device Manager Online Driver Update (let it do its work and gve it some more minutes - maybe you need to Power Down and Power Up to make some stuff work again where a simple Restart did not help i.e. my Keyboard was gone) and do not touch them in any way - let them simply run and use the gobal Taskbar Volumecontrol.

MWO (64 Bit), Skyrim, Civ V and Outcast run.
Youtube and Twitch run.

PS: Right Click the Windows Icon down left to get yourself the more detailed Settings Options in the Win7 Style Systemmenu.

Edited by Thorqemada, 25 January 2015 - 01:34 AM.

#77 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

Here are my last 4 games today on Windows 10 build 9926. Everything seems about on par with Windows 7 other then I have turned down several settings, particals to med from very high, effects to high vs. very high and two other setting to just high as well. AA is still on, running in 1920x1200.

At this point, everything seems to be running pretty smooth, but I am not seeing much of an improvement if any at all from Windows 7 at this point, and playing MWO.

2015-01-25 10:46:30 - MWOClient
Frames: 6013 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 33.406 - Min: 0 - Max: 61

2015-01-25 11:14:31 - MWOClient
Frames: 8418 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 46.767 - Min: 26 - Max: 76

2015-01-25 12:29:04 - MWOClient
Frames: 8241 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 45.783 - Min: 24 - Max: 69

2015-01-25 12:39:33 - MWOClient
Frames: 9679 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 53.772 - Min: 25 - Max: 88

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 25 January 2015 - 09:53 AM.

#78 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

8 and 10 are bother lighter and faster than 7, so I'm not sure where that wouldn't materialize.

It's not the SSD vs HDD issue. I tested that myself some time ago when there was thought about the impact that might have on MWO. Maybe 10's thread scheduling doesn't like the FX chips' funny setup or something? That's been a long-running problem with Windows anyways, so maybe MS just hasn't hammered that out completely for the new OS. That's the only thing I could figure.

Particles have behaved especially well in 10 for me vs 7, to the point that I was finally able to turn them back up, so you're clearly failing to realize some benefit I'm seeing here.

What we need here is more data - more installs on more systems and types of systems.

Edited by Catamount, 25 January 2015 - 04:26 PM.

#79 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

Monday morning I will be picking up a small SSD thats currently on sale for 65$ 128GB 2 choices.........

Have made win 10 install disc and have everything ready for go time. sata + Sata pwr have been routed for said SSD

#80 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 25 January 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

Monday morning I will be picking up a small SSD thats currently on sale for 65$ 128GB 2 choices.........

Have made win 10 install disc and have everything ready for go time. sata + Sata pwr have been routed for said SSD

What are you running for system specs Smokey? The FX-8350? I think my 7200 rpm drives are a factor in the "performance" of 10 on my rig. They are 80 gb seagates and are older drives.... 7200.10 series and I believe they only have a 8mg cache and they are Sata 3 drives. I just do not have an extra SSD laying around to put the install of 10 on. Wish I did, but I don't.

These are all coming from windows 7 tonight....

2015-01-25 12:37:49 - MWOClient
Frames: 9673 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 53.739 - Min: 33 - Max: 92

2015-01-25 14:59:38 - MWOClient
Frames: 10029 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 55.717 - Min: 34 - Max: 98

2015-01-25 16:39:40 - MWOClient
Frames: 9015 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 50.083 - Min: 28 - Max: 105

2015-01-25 17:05:16 - MWOClient
Frames: 10777 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 59.872 - Min: 44 - Max: 77

2015-01-25 19:38:34 - MWOClient
Frames: 10929 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 60.717 - Min: 35 - Max: 92

2015-01-25 20:10:10 - MWOClient
Frames: 9116 - Time: 180000ms - Avg: 50.644 - Min: 26 - Max: 80

Numbers seem a bit better and the settings are almost all high-very high AA on.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 25 January 2015 - 06:27 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users