128 replies to this topic

#81 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

Win10 + SSD is win

Bios screen to Windows logon screen is 6.6 seconds for me (3770k+840 EVO)

#82 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

View PostCatamount, on 25 January 2015 - 03:08 PM, said:

8 and 10 are bother lighter and faster than 7, so I'm not sure where that wouldn't materialize.

It's not the SSD vs HDD issue. I tested that myself some time ago when there was thought about the impact that might have on MWO. Maybe 10's thread scheduling doesn't like the FX chips' funny setup or something? That's been a long-running problem with Windows anyways, so maybe MS just hasn't hammered that out completely for the new OS. That's the only thing I could figure.

Particles have behaved especially well in 10 for me vs 7, to the point that I was finally able to turn them back up, so you're clearly failing to realize some benefit I'm seeing here.

What we need here is more data - more installs on more systems and types of systems.

So you don't think my samsung SSD vs the older Seagates have much to do with the perfomance? I can tell you one thing for sure it will effect, Boot time for the win! lol.

Seriously though, I can't imagine MS will let Amd's processors not have good optimization this time around. You guys are really trying to get me to go get a new I7/ ddr4 and a Nvidia 980 aren't you.... :P I checked prices yesterday on the new Z99 platforms and I just shook my head. :o

#83 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:44 PM

Nah, Pirate Islands is where it's gonna be at. Have you seen the rumored 380X specs? :D

If you are having problems with something due to the FX chip, I'm sure MS will fix it. W10 has always had its performance advantages from what I've seen, but I've also seen MS doing a lot of work in these later builds to clean things up, do some polishing, do some optimization, basically work on fit and finish instead of new features. 9926's only new feature is Cortana, and it's not a new feature, just one that didn't make it into the public builds on Windows until now (it's been floating around for awhile). I didn't get ~6 second boot times before, so there's clearly work to improve things. Hopefully as this gets closer to launch all the major issues will get resolved, wherever they may lay.

#84 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

http://www.canadacom...&item_id=047466 64GB but fast

65$ would make a fine, test SSD. although 75$ get me

http://www.canadacom...&item_id=068531 128GB but slower.

#85 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:44 PM

View PostCatamount, on 25 January 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

Nah, Pirate Islands is where it's gonna be at. Have you seen the rumored 380X specs? :D

If you are having problems with something due to the FX chip, I'm sure MS will fix it. W10 has always had its performance advantages from what I've seen, but I've also seen MS doing a lot of work in these later builds to clean things up, do some polishing, do some optimization, basically work on fit and finish instead of new features. 9926's only new feature is Cortana, and it's not a new feature, just one that didn't make it into the public builds on Windows until now (it's been floating around for awhile). I didn't get ~6 second boot times before, so there's clearly work to improve things. Hopefully as this gets closer to launch all the major issues will get resolved, wherever they may lay.

No I haven't heard about it.... got a link? lol. I am sure if I had my Samsung running 10 right now.... boot times would be just as nice and I would be seeing some improvements.

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 25 January 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

http://www.canadacom...&item_id=047466 64GB but fast

65$ would make a fine, test SSD. although 75$ get me

http://www.canadacom...&item_id=068531 128GB but slower.

Man Smokey that seems like a lot to drop for a 64gb or a 128 gb just to test out Windows 10.... I thinks I would wait or just pick up another samsung 500gb, they are on sale at the egg right now for around $220ish mark. The 1tb ones are also on sale the last time I looked for around $400. :wub:

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 25 January 2015 - 08:44 PM.

#86 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:13 PM

http://www.maximumpc...nd_quarter_2015

This is basically the set of specs being thrown around. It's looking like the 380X will be the high end card for the initial release, the 390X being held back for refresh maybe. If you compare that to the 290X, the 380X would be faster than the 980 even without HBM or any architectural improvements

#87 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

View PostCatamount, on 25 January 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

http://www.maximumpc...nd_quarter_2015

This is basically the set of specs being thrown around. It's looking like the 380X will be the high end card for the initial release, the 390X being held back for refresh maybe. If you compare that to the 290X, the 380X would be faster than the 980 even without HBM or any architectural improvements

Thanks.... and that sounds very nice :D I like my 7970 but maybe by then it will be time to upgrade, and it sounds like it is gonna be a beast!

#88 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:37 PM

View PostCatamount, on 21 January 2015 - 05:07 PM, said:

MWO runs considerably better in the 10 Tech Preview than it does in 7.

There is no reason to not immediately switch, hell there's no reason not to switch to the Tech Preview unless you don't want another reinstall once 10 goes commercial. Unless you hate Windows just for the sake of hating Windows and/or are just dying to jump over to a dying set of OSes in the desktop space that command less than 1.5% of marketshare, 10 is where it's at.

Will that hold true on low end systems? I have windows 7 right now and it is tolerable in most pug matches and really hit or miss in the CW matches. I'll find in CW my game freezes up for a couple seconds every once and a while which is highly frustrating when trying to deal with light zergs. How would upgrading to a more demanding OS help?

#89 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:45 PM

View PostThomasMarik, on 25 January 2015 - 09:37 PM, said:

Will that hold true on low end systems? I have windows 7 right now and it is tolerable in most pug matches and really hit or miss in the CW matches. I'll find in CW my game freezes up for a couple seconds every once and a while which is highly frustrating when trying to deal with light zergs. How would upgrading to a more demanding OS help?

Everyone seems to be under the impression that it is less demanding then Windows 7.... just as Vista was a ram hog, and 7 helped fix that issue for systems that only ran 2 gbs of ram. Will it run nicer on a lower end system... I Don't know as of yet, I do have many older parts and systems around. Even have some Core2duos, (5300) and Amd 6000x2, maybe even a X2 4000 laying around with mother boards that match up. Even have 8 gbs DDR2 800 mhz, and some older graphics cards, all the way back to Nvida 9800 and ATI 4800 512mb lol, Maybe I will start doing some installs.

I haven't tried Windows 10 on my Intel Q9550 yet......could be interesting to see if there are any improvments with it from windows 7.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 25 January 2015 - 09:46 PM.

#90 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:48 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 25 January 2015 - 09:45 PM, said:

Everyone seems to be under the impression that it is less demanding then Windows 7.... just as Vista was a ram hog, and 7 helped fix that issue for systems that only ran 2 gbs of ram. Will it run nicer on a lower end system... I Don't know as of yet, I do have many older parts and systems around. Even have some Core2duos, (5300) and Amd 6000x2, maybe even a X2 4000 laying around with mother boards that match up. Even have 8 gbs DDR2 800 mhz, and some older graphics cards, all the way back to Nvida 9800 and ATI 4800 512mb lol, Maybe I will start doing some installs.

I haven't tried Windows 10 on my Intel Q9550 yet......could be interesting to see if there are any improvments with it from windows 7.

Well I ask for more than just for MWO. I don't want to get thie free upgrade adn find it ruining my computer.

#91 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:58 PM

View PostThomasMarik, on 25 January 2015 - 09:48 PM, said:

Well I ask for more than just for MWO. I don't want to get thie free upgrade adn find it ruining my computer.

There are ways around what you fear..... if you have a little now how, and a extra hard drive you can test it out to see if it will improve or mess things up for you. Do you have experience with changing out a hard drive and installing a OS?

Here is what my Windows 10 is looking like right now...

Posted Image

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 25 January 2015 - 10:06 PM.

#92 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:48 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 25 January 2015 - 09:58 PM, said:

There are ways around what you fear..... if you have a little now how, and a extra hard drive you can test it out to see if it will improve or mess things up for you. Do you have experience with changing out a hard drive and installing a OS?

Here is what my Windows 10 is looking like right now...

Posted Image

I do ahve experience with both of those things. I was under the impression that upgrading my Windows 7 to 10 was irreversable. The whole thing sounds like Microsoft is trying to abandon Windows 7 and 8 with this free upgrade thing.

#93 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:42 PM

They want make it Steamdows or Winsteam - something like that - allways online - sell Apps left and right etc...
Giving it away for free will make the Userbase explode and force anyone to ride the Win10 Train or be left back.

I have the feeling the Performance of Win10 is volatil when playing MWO like if it somtimes runs like **** and sometimes awesome.
Had 2 matches were LRM Spam totally brought me down FPSwise (even below 10 FPS) and i have no clue why other than anything still needs a good amount of thoroughly optimization and Driver updates.

Edited by Thorqemada, 25 January 2015 - 11:43 PM.

#94 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:29 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 25 January 2015 - 11:42 PM, said:

They want make it Steamdows or Winsteam - something like that - allways online - sell Apps left and right etc...
Giving it away for free will make the Userbase explode and force anyone to ride the Win10 Train or be left back.

I have the feeling the Performance of Win10 is volatil when playing MWO like if it somtimes runs like **** and sometimes awesome.
Had 2 matches were LRM Spam totally brought me down FPSwise (even below 10 FPS) and i have no clue why other than anything still needs a good amount of thoroughly optimization and Driver updates.

What they are trying to do is consolidate their market base as opposed to still having Xp,7,and 8,8.1 and 10 users. If they can shift the majority of that to 10, thats better for them (in some reasons us) and also better for the future of DX12 (which will be very important to us)

Very few people will purchase windows based apps from a store, because that's simply a market that won't work on the PC, and MS don't have a stable of games to make it a steam or origin competitor.

So personally i think your reasoning is flawed.

I'll try and get Windows 10 up on this budget machine later being a more modern dual core i will see what happens.

#95 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:43 AM

I understand your well thought logic though i dont think that is the well thought logic MS uses ;)

So, it seems Win10 likes to have the Energy Settings all on High Performance and MWO wants Shadows, Particles and Effects on low - then my Performance seem not to crash as soon some Lurms fly around (at least in the few matches i did playtest).

With Energy Settings on "Balanced" its a bit slower but still ok.

Edited by Thorqemada, 26 January 2015 - 01:48 AM.

#96 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:51 AM

View PostCatamount, on 24 January 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

Yep go figure just as I get you a 9879 ISO built 9926 comes out

I've just finished installing, and had absolutely no problem updating Windows 10 to the current 9926 build.
I did enter the update options and set my updates to Fast however so newer builds will download as they come as opposed to the slow setting which leaves it a while before giving you the update.

#97 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:02 AM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 21 January 2015 - 01:05 PM, said:

I am on Windows 7 6bit and plan to stay there. I am also trying to get away from Windows OS and have switched most of my rigs over to Linux mint except two main gaming rigs I have. I have experience with Windows 8 and 8.1, but I really don't recommend upgrading to either of them. I haven't on my systems, and really see no need to nor desire to support Microsoft if this is the new path they are taking.

Ditto i really don't like 8.1, Looking at upgrading my laptop at the moment and the rig i want has this bloomin tat on it. I also like Ubuntu and Mint and so am sorely tempted if i bought the laptop at the top end of my price bracket i'd pull 7 off my current laptop and install it on the new one. Throw 8.1 in the bin and make my current dual boot laptop entirely Ubuntu or Mint

#98 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:38 AM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 25 January 2015 - 08:44 PM, said:

No I haven't heard about it.... got a link? lol. I am sure if I had my Samsung running 10 right now.... boot times would be just as nice and I would be seeing some improvements.

Man Smokey that seems like a lot to drop for a 64gb or a 128 gb just to test out Windows 10.... I thinks I would wait or just pick up another samsung 500gb, they are on sale at the egg right now for around $220ish mark. The 1tb ones are also on sale the last time I looked for around $400. :wub:

Ive been waiting to get more storage, Need to dump this 5200 RPM 2.5" sata Toshiba HDD that I have as weekly backup*its junk+slow And 180Gb so I dont want it.

+ I have an old dual core Laptop that could sure use a fresh Windows 10 install on a SSD, Its so slow now, it just sits in a dresser....65$ to bring it up to snuff is okay with me. but after I have my fun.

Not to mention the wifeys New AMD laptop that is decently fast considering no SSD, after she sees her old junk flying, I may be able to go buy a solid Samsung EVO to replace my barely used ADATA SSDs.......passing the speed onto her.

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 26 January 2015 - 04:43 AM.

#99 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:38 AM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 26 January 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

Ive been waiting to get more storage, Need to dump this 5200 RPM 2.5" sata Toshiba HDD that I have as weekly backup*its junk+slow And 180Gb so I dont want it.

+ I have an old dual core Laptop that could sure use a fresh Windows 10 install on a SSD, Its so slow now, it just sits in a dresser....65$ to bring it up to snuff is okay with me. but after I have my fun.

Not to mention the wifeys New AMD laptop that is decently fast considering no SSD, after she sees her old junk flying, I may be able to go buy a solid Samsung EVO to replace my barely used ADATA SSDs.......passing the speed onto her.

Sounds like a plan.... however... if you go with the 64gb one for the extra speed, you will be looking at around 20 gb of free space if you are lucky after you get 10 installed and MWO, and just a few other programs, fraps, core-temp, etc, etc. Not much space to work with for sure, but it might be enough.

#100 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:51 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 26 January 2015 - 01:43 AM, said:

I understand your well thought logic though i dont think that is the well thought logic MS uses ;)

Because a multibillion dollar corporate totally gets where it is by not matching the soundness and nuance of logic of a few dozen haphazard words posted in an internet forum as a five second run down of how where Windows sits in the market :rolleyes:

I guess if people that stupid can be that successful, you might as well log out and go start the next the Microsoft yourself, because clearly you'd do way better in the market than them, being oh so much smarter than they are and all.

View PostBill Lumbar, on 26 January 2015 - 05:38 AM, said:

Sounds like a plan.... however... if you go with the 64gb one for the extra speed, you will be looking at around 20 gb of free space if you are lucky after you get 10 installed and MWO, and just a few other programs, fraps, core-temp, etc, etc. Not much space to work with for sure, but it might be enough.

I would question the speed difference anyways. SSDs are not all alike, but I would think the difference would be rather small practically between those two particular models. I'd get the larger one myself.

Edited by Catamount, 26 January 2015 - 07:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users