What Should The Max Engine Size/speed For The Urbie Be?

BattleMechs Balance Gameplay

84 replies to this topic

#41 BoldricKent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:57 AM

I think Urbie its an excellent opportunity for introducing some strategic thinking in MWO, Urbies were cheap and easy to maintain,
so to reflect that... and to kick Urbies into his proper place, i suggest introducing C-Bils limit drops, much like a tonnage drop, just based on hard cold cash, where price of a mech and its modification would serve along side tonnage. That would level Clan/IS field as well as stock/mod mechs.

#42 Groutknoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:43 AM

how about 5 - 150 std/xl then quirked for 155 - 300 std only

from turret speed to com speed, just have to pay a high tonnage cost for fast speeds

Not sure if it could be done, just a random thought.

#43 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:48 AM

It’s a Mech with no mission

We drop in all types of environments and we have no choice of what maps so we can’t choose which Mech or Mechs to use

It needs to be at least as fast as a Firestarter or it will be a hunk of junk

Forget table top be practical

davegt27

#44 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:32 AM

View PostYueFei, on 22 January 2015 - 12:49 AM, said:

If you're so obsessed with lore and canon, you must've nearly had an aneurism because we can customize our mechs out the wazoo.

On the other hand, doesn't it make sense that in-game content is made viable so that we see it used more often?

Why do you care if others are granted more freedom to customize their Urbanmechs?

Does my 98kph Hunchback make you mad, bro? Should I put the STD200 back in there just for you?

Listen to this guy.

The HBK has 275 max engine in MWO precisely because its canon engine is 200. By PGI's formula, which is default engine rating x 1.4, all canon 200 engine mechs receive 275 max engine. All mechs are made that way in MWO, except few that might go too fast for HSR to handle.

And if we go by PGI's formula, then the Urbie should have 85 max engine rating since it has 60 engine by default. I am saying 100 to be generous.

Know your **** first.

Edited by El Bandito, 22 January 2015 - 03:43 AM.

#45 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:18 AM

The simple solution to viability is a savage quirck and make it have great acceleration and deceleration so it can be a great peek and poke mech but terrible in the open.

#46 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:20 AM

View PostHARDKOR, on 22 January 2015 - 06:18 AM, said:

The simple solution to viability is a savage quirck and make it have great acceleration and deceleration so it can be a great peek and poke mech but terrible in the open.

Yep, and give it some kick ass AC10 and energy quirks, so it will deal beastly damage at the cost of movement speed. You know, something that is actually unique.

Edited by El Bandito, 22 January 2015 - 06:25 AM.

#47 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:28 AM

Not every light needs a lag shield to be viable, and those of you who think 100kph lights ain't viable need to never, ever, ever post anything regarding the clan/IS balance again. Like SRSLY, you guys are jerks if you can expect people to drive the kit fox and then turn around and demand a fast urbie.

#48 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:29 AM

It's absurd to pretend a mech to behave in a differ manner it's been design.
It has no sense to have an Urbie to mimic badly a fast light.

So, yes: must have kick ass quirks acc/decel, ac/10... and my favorite urbie: great ac20 quirks.

#49 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:34 AM

View PostEcrof, on 21 January 2015 - 10:49 PM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image

She's not a clown She's Harley Quinn!

180 Rate. The Urban is not meant to be fast. Its meant to be cost effective and thus easy to afford.

#50 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:47 AM

i'v made some assumtions on the available info and created a posible urby build, chek here.
http://mwomercs.com/...76-urby-builds/

#51 SirSlaughter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 370 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:58 AM

The max speed allowed must remain crap like the factory engine: slower than the stock atlas.

#52 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

This is getting rather silly. People are suggesting we entirely change the game just for the Urbanmech, to justify it being locked in a 180 engine.

#53 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

If i remember right, i heard in the town hall;
- eng cap between 180 and 220
- and the chassi will have a tonage reduction bonus of 6 t (he said somthing about it being inpsoible if not)

if u look at the stock load out of the UM-R63* you will see the sum of all components and armor is above 30t (this is without taking any weigt of the chassi ore engine in account!)

so knowing this i have made some urban mech builds by using a spider chassi and removing 6 t of armor..

first 1; (take the 1 ML and split it in 2 SL) (and if it was a urby it would have 194 armor (took the remaining 16 armor from the spider too..))

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f96b780bb1b010b

i think with some nice quirks (machine gun and AC/10 related) this is a viable build whith would exell at city combat.

- stats of build are
speed 105.3~115.8 kmh
DPS with no quirks is (and modules) is 8.4 (hoping to sea that get to 14 or so with quirks)
jump distance (17.34m) ammo;
AC10 45 and machine guns 2000
armor 194

page for the things PGI shows for this mech;
https://mwomercs.com/urbanmech

#54 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 21 January 2015 - 10:56 PM, said:

You sir, have no taste. It is much more epic and readily recognizable to win in a mech that is really really bad no matter how much you tweak, than intentionally gimping a mech that is not too bad otherwise.

I get what you're saying. I understand it and to a certain extent I want the same thing.

Here's the problem: it won't sell well enough if that's what they say they're making, so they won't end up making it. And you won't get what you want.

I pre-ordered, but if the Mech isn't viable I'll be asking for a refund. I'm not paying real money for a pure joke Mech. I pre-ordered with the assumption that it'll be a fun and quirky Mech that can still be viable in the pug queue. For that to be true, it needs to be able to go over 100 kph. A 200-210 cap would make it viable, though challenging, and that would be fun.

It will still be bad. It has 6 hardpoints. Even with a 200 engine it'll be a 2/3 speed Jenner. That's pretty bad. But at least it will be somewhat viable, and with the right quirks and size it will still be fun. (Size is very important - it's supposed to be TINY.)

At 60 kph it isn't viable. It's a 1-shot free kill for the first enemy Heavy that stumbles into it.

#55 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 January 2015 - 03:32 AM, said:

Listen to this guy.

The HBK has 275 max engine in MWO precisely because its canon engine is 200. By PGI's formula, which is default engine rating x 1.4, all canon 200 engine mechs receive 275 max engine. All mechs are made that way in MWO, except few that might go too fast for HSR to handle.

And if we go by PGI's formula, then the Urbie should have 85 max engine rating since it has 60 engine by default. I am saying 100 to be generous.

Know your **** first.

1.4x is the formula for lights, not mediums.

Mediums use 1.3x. This would put the Hunchback and Centurion 260 instead of 275. But PGI raised them up for quality of life reasons.

Also, the Ravens 2X and 4X are only "supposed" to be at 245, but PGI raised them to 275.

The Panther was expected to have a cap of 200, but PGI raised it to 250.

Your argument is invalid.

Posted Image

#56 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 January 2015 - 12:12 AM, said:

Franky, I am surprised about your reasoning. I want slower Urbie and smaller A1 ear for different reasons altogether.
Urban mech engine request was made because it is such a slooow thing in canon. It is for sheer challenge value.
Catapult ear shrinking request is endorsed by me because again in canon there were no VCRs attached.

You see the logic in those?

So you want to go by canon mech effectiveness. If we go that route...

Okay, that means no more nerfs for the Timberwolf or Stormcrow. They were designed from the ground up to be the "perfect storm" of durability, mobility, and damage output, with no weaknesses in any form. Inner Sphere mechs pretty much are never supposed to match them by lore, unless they have a hefty tonnage advantage (and even then it might be hard).

Sure you want that? It's not too late to join the dark side, because we have cookies...

Edited by FupDup, 22 January 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#57 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

Spider: 126.9kph
Locust: 126.9
Firestarter 97.2
Commando 97.2
Raven 97.2
Jenner 118.8

So using the wiki's speeds EVERY IS light is breaking its speed limit.
So why is the urbie gotta 80 max?

#58 RAM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,019 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

View PostFupDup, on 22 January 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

Mediums use 1.3x. This would put the Hunchback and Centurion 260 instead of 275. But PGI raised them up for quality of life reasons.

Good to see you continue to disingenuously obfuscate the issue. You know that 'quality of life' was not the reason PGI maintained faster HBKs. Perhaps change your name to straight up FUD?

View PostFupDup, on 22 January 2015 - 10:27 AM, said:

So you want to go by canon mech effectiveness. If we go that route...

Okay, that means no more nerfs for the Timberwolf or Stormcrow. They were designed from the ground up to be the "perfect storm" of durability, mobility, and damage output, with no weaknesses in any form. Inner Sphere mechs pretty much are never supposed to match them by lore, unless they have a hefty tonnage advantage (and even then it might be hard).

Sure you want that? It's not too late to join the dark side, because we have cookies...

Yes, absolutely and their nerfs should be undone. Some mechs are going to be better designed than others and some mechs are going to be worst designed. That is the nature of the build mechanics.

The TBR is pretty much an all-round better mech than the SMN, but what the SMN is good at it does better. That is far better balance than everything being equal.

The game does not have to change to support a slow UM - the players need to adapt. Slow is not unviable. Play Assault & defend your base or play Community Warfare on defence. Perhaps teammates will work together rather than run off and leave team members behind. Teamwork is overpowered!

If you want a fast Urbanmech, you have the SDR-5K. If you want a fast Urbanmech you are not going to be using big ACs. If you want another 'fast light', asking for the Urbanmech really defies logic.

What the UM is designed to do, it does very very well. Play to those strengths or select a different mech that conforms to how you want to play. There is a big deference between wanting an Urbanmech and wanting another generic Light that looks like an Urbie.

85 DAV

RAM
ELH

Edited by RAM, 22 January 2015 - 12:43 PM.

#59 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 January 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

She's not a clown She's Harley Quinn!

180 Rate. The Urban is not meant to be fast. Its meant to be cost effective and thus easy to afford.

She is a clown you dolt.

#60 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostRAM, on 22 January 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

Good to see you continue to disingenuously obfuscate the issue. You know that 'quality of life' was not the reason PGI maintained faster HBKs. Perhaps change your name to straight up FUD?

Yes, absolutely and their nerfs should be undone. Some mechs are going to be better designed than others and some mechs are going to be worst designed. That is the nature of the build mechanics.

The TBR is pretty much an all-round better mech than the SMN, but what the SMN is good at it does better. That is far better balance than everything being equal.

The game does not have to change to support a slow UM - the players need to adapt. Slow is not unviable. Play Assault & defend your base or play Community Warfare on defence. Perhaps teammates will work together rather than run off and leave team members behind. Teamwork is overpowered!

If you want a fast Urbanmech, you have the SDR-5K. If you want a fast Urbanmech you are not going to be using big ACs. If you want another 'fast light', asking for the Urbanmech really defies logic.

What the UM is designed to do, it does very very well. Play to those strengths or select a different mech that conforms to how you want to play. There is a big deference between wanting an Urbanmech and wanting another generic Light that looks like an Urbie.

85 DAV

RAM
ELH

Hahahahaha teamwork.

Pretty sad the only justifiably good area the urbanmech could work is base defense, because we all know the only thing this game needs is more turrets.

How about we just skip the development man power and costs, and just let you pilot a base turret instead?

Its just like what the urby will be if it goes under 60 kph.

I can put a small engine in the Spider and make a slow urbanmech too, so clearly we just shouldn't have the urbanmech at all because the spider can do its job and have more viability in its builds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users