What Should The Max Engine Size/speed For The Urbie Be?

BattleMechs Balance Gameplay

84 replies to this topic

#61 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:53 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 January 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

She's not a clown She's Harley Quinn!

180 Rate. The Urban is not meant to be fast. Its meant to be cost effective and thus easy to afford.

Harley Quinn is a clown you dolt.

Edited by Ecrof, 22 January 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#62 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

View PostRAM, on 22 January 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

Yes, absolutely and their nerfs should be undone. Some mechs are going to be better designed than others and some mechs are going to be worst designed. That is the nature of the build mechanics.

Unfortunately, that doesn't turn out to be very fun in an actual video game. MWO has had a long history of this, starting with mechs like the Dragon and Awesome being never used as well as metagames like the Lagshield Raven 3L or 4 PPC Stalker. Having a handful of options be 100% clearly superior leads to dumb situations in-game.

The TBR is pretty much an all-round better mech than the SMN, but what the SMN is good at it does better. That is far better balance than everything being equal.

The one use the SMN had compared to the TBR was being cheaper to buy/repair due to not having Endo Steel. That's really about it. Any loadout you can build on a Summoner can be replicated on a Timberwolf, most of the time better.

The game does not have to change to support a slow UM - the players need to adapt. Slow is not unviable. Play Assault & defend your base or play Community Warfare on defence. Perhaps teammates will work together rather than run off and leave team members behind. Teamwork is overpowered!

If you stay behind and camp your base, your 11 teammates will have to fight against 12 enemies without you. Outnumbered and thus more likely to be overrun. Alternatively, one or more enemy lights or fast mediums might come along and harrass your base, probably killing that Urbanmech in the process. Even a Locust boating Small Pulse Lasers will be able to out-damage an Urbanmech carrying AC/10 + SL.

During heated battles, changing position to retreat or push forward when opportunities present themselves is pretty damn vital and is what makes or breaks a match. Not being able to retreat or push forward with one's team is a severe handicap because it means your team basically has one player missing, a player that could have been dealing and/or absorbing damage. So much for teamwork...

If you want a fast Urbanmech, you have the SDR-5K. If you want a fast Urbanmech you are not going to be using big ACs. If you want another 'fast light', asking for the Urbanmech really defies logic.

What the UM is designed to do, it does very very well. Play to those strengths or select a different mech that conforms to how you want to play. There is a big deference between wanting an Urbanmech and wanting another generic Light that looks like an Urbie.

I've gone over this several times by this point, so by now I think you're just strawmanning instead of innocently misunderstanding my position.

For the gazillionth time, going at Clan light mech speed is NOT fast for a 30 ton mech. 106.9 kph is only fast for mechs above 45 tons. For mechs under 45 tons, it's still crappy speed, but just not as crappy as 50.5 kph. That's not anywhere damn near Spider speeds, at least sensibly built Spiders that is.

85 DAV

RAM
ELH

As a sidebar, why do you even end your posts with that anyways? I can see your username along the left border of the thread. It's redundant.

Edited by FupDup, 22 January 2015 - 01:04 PM.

#63 Hukkama

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

View PostBrody319, on 22 January 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

Hahahahaha teamwork.

Pretty sad the only justifiably good area the urbanmech could work is base defense, because we all know the only thing this game needs is more turrets.

How about we just skip the development man power and costs, and just let you pilot a base turret instead?

Its just like what the urby will be if it goes under 60 kph.

I can put a small engine in the Spider and make a slow urbanmech too, so clearly we just shouldn't have the urbanmech at all because the spider can do its job and have more viability in its builds.

the urbanmech was known to be a slow urban defense mech. now you are complaining that it is what it was made to be. thats rich

#64 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostHukkama, on 22 January 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

the urbanmech was known to be a slow urban defense mech. now you are complaining that it is what it was made to be. thats rich

"I didn't pay 20 dollars to have fun or win, I payed 20 dollars to drive a Base turret!"

Making a mech into something its not supposed to be, yea this game doesn't do that.

everyone knows the Thunderbolt is a known PPC boat.
Every light in this game is supposed to run +150 kph.
and really lets be honest here, the Maddog, yep, the perfectly lore friendly streak boat.

This game has never and should never make mechs into something they aren't in lore!

#65 Hukkama

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostBrody319, on 22 January 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

"I didn't pay 20 dollars to have fun or win, I payed 20 dollars to drive a Base turret!"

Making a mech into something its not supposed to be, yea this game doesn't do that.

everyone knows the Thunderbolt is a known PPC boat.
Every light in this game is supposed to run +150 kph.
and really lets be honest here, the Maddog, yep, the perfectly lore friendly streak boat.

This game has never and should never make mechs into something they aren't in lore!

asking for a joke mech and then getting a joke mech. hey! we didnt want this!

#66 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:08 PM

View PostHARDKOR, on 21 January 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

It should max out at 60 kph but have epic quirks.

I suggest 50% cooldown on ac 10 and super fast torso twist.

Then what is the point of this mech if it's not going to be the original mech?

#67 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:08 PM

View PostHukkama, on 22 January 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

Hey, if you wanna spend the first minute of a match walking to your base, and then defending it in the 1/10 times that the enemy even tries to get your base please go ahead.

I'd rather not play Tower defense.

#68 Hukkama

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

View PostBrody319, on 22 January 2015 - 01:08 PM, said:

Hey, if you wanna spend the first minute of a match walking to your base, and then defending it in the 1/10 times that the enemy even tries to get your base please go ahead.

I'd rather not play Tower defense.

that actually sounds like a fun game mode but hey im not buying an urbanmech so i wont have to deal with being slow as hell or the fastest trash can in the universe

#69 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

View PostDarth Bane001, on 22 January 2015 - 01:08 PM, said:

Then what is the point of this mech if it's not going to be the original mech?

If we are saying the Urbanmech should be Original, you should lock all mechs in stock loadouts!
Have fun with your single heat sink energy boats, maybe someone will actually get a kill before they core themselves from overheating.

#70 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:12 PM

View PostEcrof, on 22 January 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

Actually, she is not.. A Harlequin was paired with a clown, traditionally, but is not one.

#71 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

View PostEcrof, on 22 January 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

Harley Quinn is a psychologist who tried to help the Joker when he was in the asylum. After a long period of time she began to fall in love with him and thus became his side kick in order to get closer. She is not a clown she dresses like one for the Joker, that is it.

#72 Hukkama

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

View PostBrody319, on 22 January 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

Harley Quinn is a psychologist who tried to help the Joker when he was in the asylum. After a long period of time she began to fall in love with him and thus became his side kick in order to get closer. She is not a clown she dresses like one for the Joker, that is it.

does doing something stupid for a person you love count as being a clown? or more of an *********?

#73 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

View PostBrody319, on 22 January 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

One that clowns around in a clown costume is a ?????

#74 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

View PostHukkama, on 22 January 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

We never asked for a joke Mech and we don't want a joke Mech. We want a quirky and fun Mech that has a reason to exist, even if that reason isn't identical to its reason in TT. (Because that reason doesn't exist at all in MWO.)

YOU think the Urbanmech is a joke Mech, but that's because you don't understand its role. Pretty much EVERY Mech in MWO has had its role modified in order to better fit a FPS environment. So it makes perfect sense for the Urbanmech's role to change slightly also.

#75 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

View PostEcrof, on 22 January 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

One that clowns around in a clown costume is a ?????

I wouldn't say the Joker's antics are clowning around.

This logic is like saying because I dress in doctor scrubs I am a doctor

#76 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:25 PM

Give it 210. Keeps it fast enough to be fun for regular play. Keeps it unique.

#77 Scyther

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

Max Engine size should be as big as can be fit in a mech of that tonnage. The top speed wouldn't change, all the excess power needs to go into torso twist rate.

Get that sucker spinning fast enough and with a few long-barreled weapons it should be able to take off.

#78 RAM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,019 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

View PostFupDup, on 22 January 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

Unfortunately, that doesn't turn out to be very fun in an actual video game. MWO has had a long history of this, starting with mechs like the Dragon and Awesome being never used as well as metagames like the Lagshield Raven 3L or 4 PPC Stalker. Having a handful of options be 100% clearly superior leads to dumb situations in-game.

The one use the SMN had compared to the TBR was being cheaper to buy/repair due to not having Endo Steel. That's really about it. Any loadout you can build on a Summoner can be replicated on a Timberwolf, most of the time better.

If you stay behind and camp your base, your 11 teammates will have to fight against 12 enemies without you. Outnumbered and thus more likely to be overrun. Alternatively, one or more enemy lights or fast mediums might come along and harrass your base, probably killing that Urbanmech in the process. Even a Locust boating Small Pulse Lasers will be able to out-damage an Urbanmech carrying AC/10 + SL.

During heated battles, changing position to retreat or push forward when opportunities present themselves is pretty damn vital and is what makes or breaks a match. Not being able to retreat or push forward with one's team is a severe handicap because it means your team basically has one player missing, a player that could have been dealing and/or absorbing damage. So much for teamwork...

I've gone over this several times by this point, so by now I think you're just strawmanning instead of innocently misunderstanding my position.

For the gazillionth time, going at Clan light mech speed is NOT fast for a 30 ton mech. 106.9 kph is only fast for mechs above 45 tons. For mechs under 45 tons, it's still crappy speed, but just not as crappy as 50.5 kph. That's not anywhere damn near Spider speeds, at least sensibly built Spiders that is.

As a sidebar, why do you even end your posts with that anyways? I can see your username along the left border of the thread. It's redundant.

Fun is relative: therefore one cannot say with any authority what is or is not fun. You could say that you do not find specific mechanics or roles fun, but you cannot make an absolute statement as such.

There has never been a time when no DRG or AWS was ever used (once they were included in the game of course). Suboptimal mechs are constantly seen and lambasted and often easily killed; however, they can still be dangerous due to being underestimated. Nor was the multi-PPC STK ever the only mech fielded, and it was not overpowered and arguably worse than some other potential options. Lag affects all mechs and was hardly limited to the RVN-3L. Fact is no mech in game is 100% superior.

While the SMN is cheaper to repair, that is not the only thing it does better than the TBR, as you yourself admit: by definition "most of the time better" means there are times it is not.

Yes, a modified LCT could take a stock UM - aside from you that is not in doubt. However, a mod'd UM will take that mod'd LCT. The UM can boat MGs & SPLs too! And do it with 10 (16 actually) more tons of weapons, armour & equipment.

In a meeting engagement or mobile defence, sure speed can matter. In a static defence? Not so much. Further mobility is not just sheer speed. Jets, accel/decel, twist & turn rates and torso twist all matter.

Teamwork is not blindly following the blob. There are few maps that permit 12 FR mechs to simultaneously engage 12 EN mechs. But the fact is that should really never happen, and when it does it has nothing to do with teamwork. But even say your 11 teammates are overrun, that leaves the possibility that the spunky little defender will save the day! Base defences are significantly enhanced by the presence of a defender: sure a light lance swarm will probably kill the UM, just as an assault lance swarm would overwhelm a lone KGC; however, that lone defender can delay (or even prevent) the cap buying time for reinforcements to arrive.

Teamwork is also working to include everyone on the team. Deliberately running off is pretty much the antithesis of teamwork. Covering off each others' weakness and fulfilling less desirable roles to free up others to play better to their strengths is teamwork.

It is fair to say that you are deliberately obfuscating the issue: the UM is not slow for a Light, it is slow for ALL mechs. The speeds of other light mechs are irrelevant. It is clear that you think it needs to be fast, but actual mechs in game demonstrate otherwise.

Anything worth writing is worth signing with your name. Not to mention that depending upon the forum theme selected or the screen/resolution being used, the name sidebar can be obscured.

View PostRoadkill, on 22 January 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

We never asked for a joke Mech and we don't want a joke Mech. We want a quirky and fun Mech that has a reason to exist, even if that reason isn't identical to its reason in TT. (Because that reason doesn't exist at all in MWO.)

The UM's raison-d'etre totally exists in the game. That people do not want to play that role does not invalid its existence. That aside, there are many 'quirky & fun' mechs that are not complete jokes that would fit much better into other reasons for MWO existence, so perhaps you should campaign for those?

85 DAV

RAM
ELH

Edited by RAM, 22 January 2015 - 04:21 PM.

#79 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

180 Max. But Scale the model just a little bit smaller than the spider so it LOOKS like its going fast. ;)

#80 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

View PostBrody319, on 22 January 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

I wouldn't say the Joker's antics are clowning around.

This logic is like saying because I dress in doctor scrubs I am a doctor

Harley Quinn is more of a clown than the joker, i never said the joker was a clown.
http://www.oxforddic...n_english/clown

Edited by Ecrof, 22 January 2015 - 04:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users