Like A Champion Continued!

171 replies to this topic

#61 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

Personally, I'm in the situation of I don't care for any of the rewards being offered for this challenge. But at the same time I'm very impressed with PGI for giving everyone that didn't quite finish last week's challenge a second chance.

So despite the fact that I won't be bothering with the challenge this week, I still think they did a great job creating this week's challenge.

Well done PGI. You missed the target audience of "me", but I don't mind. I admit that if you only made challenges that appealed to me, you'd almost certainly have a lot more players saying you were "being dumb" about it.

#62 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

View PostSmith Gibson, on 23 January 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

Personally, I'm in the situation of I don't care for any of the rewards being offered for this challenge. But at the same time I'm very impressed with PGI for giving everyone that didn't quite finish last week's challenge a second chance.

So despite the fact that I won't be bothering with the challenge this week, I still think they did a great job creating this week's challenge.

Well done PGI. You missed the target audience of "me", but I don't mind. I admit that if you only made challenges that appealed to me, you'd almost certainly have a lot more players saying you were "being dumb" about it.

This guy.

This guy, he gets it man.

He GETS. IT.

#63 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

Clever to string the two together, it generates some hope for really long term challenges that result in really interesting or exotic prizes.

Get a point every week for 52 weeks in a row and get a special warhorn that plays "Iron Man" or something.

Not sure I need the camo, but since I carried 31 points out of last weekend, only 19 to go, and that should be eminently doable in under 95 matches.

#64 OblivionsKey

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

Thank you PGI !
I did not have enough time last weekend due to work, but I am tearing through it now!

#65 Der Kopfsammler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 239 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

Oh wow... i wasnt expecting this... Alright PGI, ill forgive you for the pain you made me go through to get that CTF... :rolleyes:

#66 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

Once you get the Cataphract-3D Champion, they should've allowed doubling the points for winning with it (after the first 30 pts) for the last part (as an nice incentive).

#67 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

View PostAng3lsDem0n, on 23 January 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

Here is the thing buddy, I'm not claiming to be a good player at all here and my view is as an Average Skilled player. I only hit 30 after 15 or so hours of constant playing and over 80 games played total, not only that but the luck to have teams that tried to put in the work to just play and win. Also what I said about the cockpit items is that of my preference as well as about the camo being my opinion(And it doesn't seem like I'm alone in that opinion). Plus to add, it did seem you failed to read on how this is leading to bad gameplay and habbits of the players involved.

Here is a little copy of the issues I brought up I actively saw the last "Like a Champion".

"Such issues as someone getting a kill and doing a little damage to others and then disconnecting, "Yoloing" it and throwing away their mech to get a single kill, teammates running in front of you more often than normal to "steal" that kill from you."

Another was from a reply from someone who said this just promoted the style of play he liked, which was a Agressive style of play.

"Agressive? More like dickish with a tab of moronic. I've seen entire teems chase after one light to try to kill them and completely ignore the rest of their team because the light was cored. I've had my torso and arms blown off already from behind by teammates who wanted that kill that was in front of me and they didn't care I was already there fighting the guy. There is more fighting your teammates right now than fighting the other team."

ROFL

You just described every weekend Challenge.

It's free stuff. PGI doesn't have to give it away at all. Don't ruin it for the rest of us by whining too loudly.

#68 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

Really nice move by PGI, they listened to peoples prior concerns, not all people had the time to complete the challenge and extended it to a 2nd weekend & added more stuff as well. Great !

#69 Wolfwood592

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 505 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

Great job PGI, very happy it was extended even if I doubt I will have time for the 50!

But a free cata? Saweet

#70 EvGaS

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 77 posts
  • LocationKyiv, UA

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:57 PM

Automatically ended event round two even dont knowing - just somewhat added to inventory =)
Look - challenges - all 50 points :rolleyes:

#71 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:08 PM

It's cool they're doing this. I might, might actually finish the challenge.

But I'm not sure how much I want to grind, especially with rules I don't like.

#72 Jagger225

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 23 January 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

Once you get the Cataphract-3D Champion, they should've allowed doubling the points for winning with it (after the first 30 pts) for the last part (as an nice incentive).

This would be the only way I would get the first 30 points in this challenge.

Fun idea PGI, but Nightmare1 is totally right...

#73 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

So because it was pointless for me to even try before, I didn't start, and as a result of that it is also pointless for me to make an attempt now. Way to waste two events.

I think you guys are designing these all in your heads. You need to design them with the data at hand:

1) What do we want players doing for the challenge? (answer X)
2) How many times per hour does the median player perform X normally? (answer Y)
3) How many hours of play do we want for this challenge to take? (answer Z)

Y • Z • 1.1 == times players must perform X

You might tweak that third number there -- that's your difficulty slider. I put it at 10% -- players have to either go 10% out of their comfort zone to try to complete the challenge, or it will take 10% longer than intended. If you raise it too high, you will frustrate players, and they will miss your target for Z and rightfully blame you for it.

#74 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

not even going to waste my time on time on the camo may try for the statue.
but with the way its going right now 12 matches in a row with none qualifying and ONLY cuz I didn't get 1 kill. 4 of them were victory's. they should do some thing like X amount of assist kills = 1 kill OR if you did 90% of the damage and some ********* takes the kill.
the kill should go to you.... unless you already have your 1 kill.
especially when you get like 11 kill assist and only if you did some real damage none of this run out tap every one with a MG shut down and hide for the rest of the game.

Edited by The Boneshaman, 23 January 2015 - 09:51 PM.

#75 LameoveR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

Thanks, PGI!

#76 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:47 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 23 January 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

There's more! If you reach a total of 50 points across both events, you'll receive a Permanent 'Sherman' Camo Unlock for the Cataphract chassis.

What if you already have it because your such an awesome support of the in-game content? ;)

#77 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:38 PM

I am not gonna make this one anymore than I made the last
(just barely earned 3 points for tier one)

But best of luck to the rest of ya! B)

#78 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:05 AM

This thing is tough. It's really tough when you're playing with many indecisive people who are not keen on taking responsibility. In fact, i believe these are the reasons why skirmish was born, those wanting it did so as to avoid the responsibility of having to take care of a base. Or any base at all.

It is so obvious when you see players standing around waiting for something to happen. Of cause nothing happens, they lose.

Edited by dragnier1, 24 January 2015 - 12:17 AM.

#79 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:47 AM

PGI... you made that special Island standing cockpit item and have given a few out (I sure would like one.) You should make a coiled up garden hose next and give it to all the whiners on this forum, that way maybe they could wash the sand out of their vaginas.

Both events weren't that bad, though To the Victors was better. During that event I had 2 text block programmed "Don't be cowards... stick together" & "If we are winning lets those without a kill get one". It didn't garner much response on friday but by saturday people were really working together to help each other. I had one game with 2 kills but 23 components destroyed since i was just winging and legging people. This one not so much... some annoying players who you watch them just waiting to kill steal. But I should probably stop reading the forum since seeing everyone cry & whine on here is just making me salty. I was playing last sunday just trying to deprive people of points by racking up the damage and the kills, then posted a game with a match score of 192 on here just to taunt someone whining about how they couldn't finish the event. It was really cool that since you weren't gonna do an event anyways you did the continuation you hoped to do for To the Victors. Even if the Tier 3 & 4 prizes don't mean much to me, it is still very good to your player base. The change in the past 6 months is noticed, appreciated, & hope to see this behavior continue cause I want my stompy robots to be viable for years to come.

Nathan

Edited by I_AM_ZUUL, 24 January 2015 - 12:52 AM.

#80 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:05 AM

LOL:)

I pushed hard last weekend to finish on the Saturday, unsure if I would be able to play on the Sunday. As it turned out, I did play through Sunday as well.

Today I see this, and I need just one game to finish it:)

That's gonna be kind of tough - better break out the LRM boat eh?

- oh, and uh, all hail the Supreme Celestial Wisdom, without whom the Earth does not spin.....

and finally, may the good Lord keep PGI safe and sound: God Bless, and thank you for the prizes PGI.

Amen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users