Like A Champion Continued!

171 replies to this topic

#81 FaceRipt

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:18 AM

Thank you for this, I missed out last weekend due to launcher issues.

much appreciated!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

#82 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:49 AM

View PostSky Hawk, on 23 January 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

I really ask myself, why don't you just gave this info us, last weekend... perhaps I could force myself bit more to play... The idea is nice, but... looks like, communication is still losttech... Right?

You shouldn't have to force yourself to play.

#83 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:31 AM

Oh nice. I didn't have time last week to go to 30 and let it slide at 18... should be fairly easy now :)

#84 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:08 AM

on one hand, it's nice to have something to work towards and PGI giving out free stuff. on the other hand, i can't say i enjoy the influx of players who seem to have trouble distinguishing a tree from the broad side of a Stalker

#85 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:09 AM

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I ******* love you PGI!

OOOOHH YEAH!
I scored 28/30 last time!

#86 Biggest Salami

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:25 AM

I can't say I'm happy for this challenge. The sheer amount of matches you have to play to meet all the qualifiers (which have little to do with skill, only with luck and selfish competitiveness) means there is no way I can win without making myself physically ill.

Assuming even a 50% victory rate, you'd have to play 100 matches to win all the prizes. When you factor in that you have to get kills AND assists it takes even longer, especially with the usual kill-stealing jockying going on during the challenge.

I guess I just don't see the fun in grinding all weekend through matches where you have no control over the outcome, and can only hope you lucked out in your team placement.

#87 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:20 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 23 January 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

Would have been nice had this info been posted... a week ago.

Consider that a large number of people were having the patch loop issue. I believe that it was sufficiently widespread that once the last patch seemed to have fixed that issue, they decided to compensate the downtime by extending this Challenge.

Because you were not personally informed does not allow you to complain about being allowed to get free stuff.

#88 ciosoy

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

Meh, didnt bother playing at all last weekend because I knew I couldn't do 30 wins in the free time I had. If this had either been less wins or we had known it would be over 2 weekends perhaps people with families can get involved too!

#89 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:57 AM

ouch . . . I already bought that sherman camo for my CTF-3D(C) :( funny

#90 Flaming oblivion

• The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:00 AM

You actually redeemed yourselves from what was a epic fail.

This is epic praise .

Good job PGI

Actually made it possible in the pug queue .

#91 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 24 January 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

Consider that a large number of people were having the patch loop issue. I believe that it was sufficiently widespread that once the last patch seemed to have fixed that issue, they decided to compensate the downtime by extending this Challenge.

I can't imagine how much that patch loop issue affected "a large number" (I assume it's a minority, but it hasn't gone unnoticed).

I doubt causation implies correlation here though.

Because you were not personally informed does not allow you to complain about being allowed to get free stuff.

Um, no?

#92 CaptnRobAnybody

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

Im a little confused I have a lot of games where we won, I lived, and got an assist yet receved no points. Am I not reading this right?

#93 Flaming oblivion

• The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

^ you need to get a kill and a assist and the win.

I wish they had knocked out the kill factor.

Just makes people stupid making it hard to win when your 5 mechs down in 2 minutes.

"must get kill" execute Rambo leeroy attack the entire enemy team with one lance maneuverer die lance dies all less then 100 dmg usually game over.

#94 Tool Box

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 219 posts
  • LocationDealing with a lance of enemies by myself.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:30 AM

I haven't missed a single challenge and i was out of town last weekend and i missed the second tier so i had a bunch of checks and one x soooooo happy they decided to continue this one. :) <3

#95 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

You know, I always thought the main problem with PGI's events was not so much the score formulas they used, so much as the length of time they ran. Last weekend I was only able to get eleven points, since Friday I had to work, and Sunday I had to spend the day with my girlfriend... leaving me only one full day in which to try to get 30 points. Suffice it to say I'm not that good. Friday night alone I managed to get seven points, I guess people hadn't yet adjusted their playstyles to "event mode" because once I logged in on Saturday it was a whole other game, I only got four points all day :/

So. Giving us the opportunity to extend the challenge to a second weekend is simply EXCELLENT. Now I get to actually grind out another mechbay(don't care about the 3D, I prefer the 4X and 2X)! Sweet!!!

The other way PGI could improve tournaments in the future is to implement the possibility of multi-point matches. They've done this once or twice before, I don't know why they don't do it again. For example:
Victory = 1 point
One kill = 1 point
Survival = 2 points
One-thousand or more damage = 1 point
CW match = 1 point (to offset the increased length of time spent in a CW game versus a pick-up game)
etc.

And stack those rewards. This approach would reward great all-around match performance instead of rewarding gamed performance (e.g., get a kill, tag another enemy, then hide while the rest of the team wins the match for you and you start a match with another mech; rinse & repeat). The better you in a match, the more points you get out of it.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 24 January 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#96 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

View PostSky Hawk, on 23 January 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

I really ask myself, why don't you just gave this info us, last weekend... perhaps I could force myself bit more to play... The idea is nice, but... looks like, communication is still losttech... Right?

Maybe they decided to be nice and give this to us? Maybe saw lots of people in the high 20's?

I mean damn....ungrateful much?

#97 Augustus Martelus II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMontréal, QC Canada

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 23 January 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

@Augustus Martelus II - the Sherman pattern unlock applies to standard or champion Cataphracts. Once you unlock it you will have that pattern available to apply to cataphracts you own.

@Sky Hawk - We were not going to to have an event this weekend but decided at the last minute to give people a chance to finish up what they started last weekend. We also added the extra tiers for players who already completed the challenge last weekend. We are constantly striving to improve our communication with our players!

Aw :/ I don t own any cataphracts....I did sell the one i won, since i don t drive them lol

but thx for the answer!

#98 RabidlyInsane

Rookie

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

If only "Kill Most Damage" counted as well as getting a killing blow, then I could be making progress on this.

#99 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

Thanks PGI for the additional chance to get to 30.

Last weekend, my w/l rate was one match in five. Today, it was three in five. So I was able to get to 30 points today after cumulatively 80 matches. It made me feel better not to have to leave a free Mech on the table.

I salute the PUG players who played to win, didn't TK me in their rush to kill whatever enemy was in front of me, and who didn't bring LRM boats stealing brawlers' kills via remote locks. I hope I was able to give something back to you by sharing the kills around, once the team win seemed secured.

Edited by Appogee, 24 January 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#100 Divine Decoy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:28 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 23 January 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

@Augustus Martelus II - the Sherman pattern unlock applies to standard or champion Cataphracts. Once you unlock it you will have that pattern available to apply to cataphracts you own.

@Sky Hawk - We were not going to to have an event this weekend but decided at the last minute to give people a chance to finish up what they started last weekend. We also added the extra tiers for players who already completed the challenge last weekend. We are constantly striving to improve our communication with our players!

Could we get say... a month to complete this? Like add another 20 points worth of prizes (cockpit items or paint) and have rest of month to get as many champion points as we can? Like the concept of continuing what we started, but maybe some kind of multiple weekend (or 2 weeks long) competition would be great too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users