Tactics Vs Light Rushes

18 replies to this topic

#1 Frankenst3in

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:47 PM

Can we agree that camping omega VS. light rushes is a bad idea? Couple games in a row now, VS groups we know light rush, I have people calling to camp the gun. If 12 Firestarters get anywhere near the gun, its over. They can DPS too hard, can't kill them before omega goes down. What (I think) needs to happen is we need scouts out in the lanes, so they can call the correct gate being rushed, and our whole team needs to get to the gate right then. From there, need to be constantly shooting, constantly doing damage, following them back to omega. That way their numbers and health are low when they get to the important bits of the map. I rarely speak in match or on the forums, but that was like three bad games in a row, featuring the same people. Gotta adjust tactics here i think.

Edited by Cephling, 24 January 2015 - 09:49 PM.

#2 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:51 PM

Omega camping is bad. Damage or kill as many as you can as far forward as you can. A streakwe or two in reserve to finish off anyone who gets thru is worth having especially in later rounds when thr turrets have been killed and cant be relied upon to finish wounded lights.

#3 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:52 PM

Actually is kind hard to do that, unless our own team are in lights too, because the bonky hitboxes of firestarters allow then to dodge trough the heavies/assaults/mediums with not much dmg, and able to reach omega still in good shape. The easist way to kill a firestarter is when they are still or slow...

I think the only way is to send some scouts and faster mechs ahead to identify the start of the enemy push, and then spread the mechs left all over the way, always aiming legs. As soon one is legged try to leg another one. Leaving streak boats near omega.

#4 Reitmeier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 955 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:14 AM

Stopping a lightrush isnt a big deal. Many units try to do it but many just try to adapt some tactics which they dont know.
I think even as a Clanner its quiet easier to stop it.

- Have at least one mech in your Deck that is able to stop Lights. You have the tech to kill lights very fast. Most of you uses at least 2-3 Stormcrows. Choose a 5+SSRM6 Crow or a 5-6MedPulser Crow and you will have the speed and the weapons to kill Lights very fast. I see very often Clanner that uses LRMs in their Crows and I think "what a waste of fine tech".
If you are in a 12man try to coordinate whos gonna use a Lighthunter in Wave1 and have at least 4. (they will also do a good job if no lightrush happens).
If you really want to stick to your LRMs than use a LRM5 Boat because it seems that LRM5 have a nice impact on legs.

- Scouting is important. If you see more then 4 Lightmechs near the gates you can be sure that a Lightrush is going to happen. Try to get near the gates now and dont fall back.

- Its all about the legs. When the rush starts just to go for the legs. Leg one Light and leave him. Go for the next one and finish the legged later.

Just my 2 cents from an IS Pilot that ownes every clanmech and is quite jealous about your technology^^

#5 PASHA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

Simple.
1) Scout out the corridors.
2) Ensure at least 2-3 Mechs (preferably mediums like SCRs are C-STRK boats w/ BAP).
3) Establish firing lines awaiting incoming lights.
4)???????
5) Profit.

#6 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:37 AM

I disagree with this line of thinking. I think, if you're playing for the Clans, the best strategy against a FS rush is to find a corner way, way in the back, and shut down.

Your friend,

House Steiner.

#7 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:09 AM

The idea of forming on a defense point, gen or Omega is concentration. Until a thrust axis is identified at which point relatively slow (ie90kph) mechs can select engagement points to bring fire to bear and also cover the defense point. Speed 106 mechs have greater options but we did see last night some pushes get caught out by end game light rushes.

Pugs will need to set up some effective light hunting builds. All in all the recent games have been excellent practice. it is likely CSJ will be up against many units practicing just these tactics (1-3 light rushes and then coordinated tdr OR Assault rushes) as units cycle their factions.

#8 hideyourkids

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

2 streak crows can basically stop a light rush on their own. Combine that with everybody shooting for legs and its not really that hard.

Edited by hideyourkids, 25 January 2015 - 01:36 PM.

#9 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:21 PM

Agree with hideyourkids. Try to make sure you have 3min-4max streakers in your 1st and 4th wave and you are set. To many streaks though are not good for a heavier rush, so to many is no bueno.

btw, standing on Omega is not good in any situation. A couple guys near it to catch the guys who make it by is ok, but they need to addressed at or outside the gate as much as possible.

Edited by Mickey Knoxx, 25 January 2015 - 02:24 PM.

#10 Tony Benoit

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationForum Banned, New account soon

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

If you're familiar with MechWarrior: Living Legends, The Mad Dog (CheeseWheel) is the obvious answer.

Get a Vulture or a Ryoken with ALL THE STREAKS! Have 2-4 of them parked around key objectives and watch the lights inta-gib.

Problem solved.

#11 UniquePilotName

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 74 posts
  • LocationDreaming of a "Smokey" Terra

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

What me and the other DERPs have done, though both times have been on boreal's vault, was run a scout out to BAP the entrances and find out and run out to find out the entrance they plan to rush. line up all your firepower along the path they are going to take and leg them as they pass by and chase them. sounds a little dumb, but it worked against APOC twice IN THE SAME GAME, then again when pugs attempted it. trick was legging half of them and hitting their already squishy as hell mechs in their even squishier asses.

TLDR: Missles or direct fire leg shots then chase them

#12 bedevere42

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationDropship, in transit to new front.

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

I feel we should be more worried about a 12-man Urbie rush once they come out. Mad Dog is the obvious answer to the light problem but do you deal with 35 tons of 360 degree torso twist? Expect an Inner Sphere counter push once the Urbie drops, just sayin...

#13 Sprouticus

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:42 AM

View PostUniquePilotName, on 25 January 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

What me and the other DERPs have done, though both times have been on boreal's vault, was run a scout out to BAP the entrances and find out and run out to find out the entrance they plan to rush. line up all your firepower along the path they are going to take and leg them as they pass by and chase them. sounds a little dumb, but it worked against APOC twice IN THE SAME GAME, then again when pugs attempted it. trick was legging half of them and hitting their already squishy as hell mechs in their even squishier asses.

TLDR: Missles or direct fire leg shots then chase them

On Boreal you should be able to see the rush from the top of the hills if you have a zoom module. I can monitor them fairly easily from there.

Once you identify the rush you have 2 options:

1) If you are setup for it, place your mech along the rush path at max range, this should allow them to shoot, back, and then when they get passed turn around and hit them as they go by. 2-3 streak mechs are assumed. Placing them at the 'easy' generators first and then have them move inward as needed.

2) If you are not setup for it, jump the wall and rush them, force them to fight you or begin their rush early. Then Eject and pick a streak mech. You only need 2-3 folks to do this for it to be effective.

3) The lights dont have much range (SPL) usually, so legging works WONDERS. Let the turrets finish them.

Personally I perfer a 3SSRM6/ML build over pure streaks for my crow. I find it more useful in non light rush waves, but still excellent at killing lights.

#14 Volkodav

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationЯрославль. RDL.

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:47 AM

View PostNotMwHighlander, on 25 January 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

If you're familiar with MechWarrior: Living Legends, The Mad Dog (CheeseWheel) is the obvious answer.

Get a Vulture or a Ryoken with ALL THE STREAKS! Have 2-4 of them parked around key objectives and watch the lights inta-gib.

Problem solved.

Yes mwll was good. If Vulture shot chainfire - not only light burst), it was hard to resist even heavy.

mwll man - greetings/

#15 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

I used to think the Vulture streak boat was the solution, but last game I hit 3x a firestarter with 6xssrm6 and the mofo didnt die...

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

Streakboats.
Gauss shots.
LRMs
Pulse laser vomit.
Block their path.
Move to intercept AHEAD of their path, rather than follow them directly.
Go for legs. Only morons go for the body. Leg and immediately move on to the next one. Leg the pile and then cleanup.
Enjoy.

#17 Volkodav

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationЯрославль. RDL.

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:58 AM

48 legs - win)

#18 Sprouticus

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:11 AM

View PostKoniving, on 26 January 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

Move to intercept AHEAD of their path, rather than follow them directly.

This. So much this. Use your max range, let them come to you, then turn and hit run with them and hit them as they run away.

Use the lanes wisely so they cant easily turn corners or use buildings on you.

#19 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

Cheese wheels will set you free.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users