Dear Pgi. May We Stay Up Late?

57 replies to this topic

Poll: Gaming Habits (131 member(s) have cast votes)

EU ceasefire should kick in...

1. 1 hour sooner (13 votes [9.92%])

Percentage of vote: 9.92%

2. exactly as it is. (26 votes [19.85%])

Percentage of vote: 19.85%

3. 30 minutes later (4 votes [3.05%])

Percentage of vote: 3.05%

4. 1 hour later (50 votes [38.17%])

Percentage of vote: 38.17%

5. 2 hours later (38 votes [29.01%])

Percentage of vote: 29.01%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

I don´t know about you, but the majority of players I met in MWO is not in school anymore. We may stay up late, if we want. In fact that is when most of our gaming happens. After we had dinner, took care of household stuff, the kids are in bed/we spent time with the family and whatnot.

The current EU ceasefire is way too early. Push it back one or two hours.

As it is only the last 2 hours before the ceasefire matter.*

9.15 pm for those poor guys in western europe? That would mean they should get to gaming at 7.15 pm. That is way before many are even done working. Things are only slightly better in central or eastern europe.

*Please note that I, personally, very much dislike the ceasefire mechanic as a whole. It begs players to play the system instead of the game. It invalidates wins early in each cycle etc. But considering that PGI won´t rethink their policy anytime soon this would make things easier as a stop gap measure.

#2 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

Well, it is CW-related so I thought...

#3 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

You realize that the 9pm ceasefire is the same as the one for north America?

#4 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

That may well be, but doesn´t change anything about what I am trying to say in the OP.

#5 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:52 PM

onwe hour later? this means past 11pm or even 12pm for many eu countries. stop being so egoistic western europe you are not the majority of europe.

Edited by Lily from animove, 27 January 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#6 SuperPignouf

• PipPipPip
  • Fanjunkare
  • Fanjunkare
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

That's not about being egoistic or something... I connect at 22:00 GMT+1 and ceasefire is at 22:15 GMT+1.
I like the game, I even paid a bunch of premium stuff. I don't feel egoistic or anything by asking to be able to play a bit of CW when I log in.

View PostLily from animove, on 27 January 2015 - 12:52 PM, said:

onwe hour later? this means past 11pm or even 12pm for many eu countries. stop being so egoistic western europe you are not the majority of europe.

Edited by SuperPignouf, 27 January 2015 - 01:08 PM.

#7 Mark Brandhauber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 291 posts
  • LocationYorkshire United Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 27 January 2015 - 12:52 PM, said:

If you count germany as western europe then yes we are the majority of europe, if not then we are not. Personally i count germany as part of western europe

#8 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

We have the same challenge OP, between the NA east and west coasts.

But if you move it one hour further, it does the same thing to all of the ceasefire times and will actually take it further out to the point where east coast NA players might get little to no time at all. Yes, we can stay up late, but we usually have jobs or school in the morning that negate many of us staying up till the 0030 ceasefire we already have. 0130 would be worse.

#9 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

I´m proposing moving the ceasefire for the EU timezone. You guys overseas know better what time you can play at than I do.

And if it is fair or not is why we are having this vote, isn´t it?

#10 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

just WAIT 40 MINUTES

#11 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

View Postjaxjace, on 27 January 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

just WAIT 40 MINUTES

I don´t know what is up with all the capital letters, but here you go:

View PostMolossian Dog, on 27 January 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

...As it is only the last 2 hours before the ceasefire matter.*...

#12 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 27 January 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

We have the same challenge OP, between the NA east and west coasts.

No you don't. CET, Central European Time, stretches from Spain all the way to Poland. It has over 400 million people living in it, which makes it the most populated European time zone by far. It's pretty much a no-brainer that if you're considering EU times, that's what you take as default.

#13 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:29 PM

The thing people have to take into account, is, that you can´t just log in and immediatelly start CW dropping. Getting a team together, briefing, checking and cross checking builds, communicating with the higher-ups and so on take between 30 minutes and occasionally almost an hour. That reduces actual CW-playing time even further.

On the one hand people want a populated EU cycle, on the other hand we are not given enough time before the ceasefire hits. And few people bother with playing after ceasefire.
(Please note I am not arguing if CW games early in the cycle are meaningless or not. That is worth a topic of its own. I just observe player behaviour. For our current discussion the question is not even relevant.)

And frankly speaking those who would go to bed half an hour before the ceasefire starts haven´t lost that much. But those who can´t get into a game before that point see themselves as screwed. They feel pretty much excluded from CW.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 27 January 2015 - 04:30 PM.

#14 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

View PostMark Brandhauber, on 27 January 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

If you count germany as western europe then yes we are the majority of europe, if not then we are not. Personally i count germany as part of western europe

germany is gmt + 1, and we already have ceasfire at 22:15, which is late considering that people have to work. and so when you make it one or 2 hours later, than many of central and eastern europe will not be able to able to play a proper role in this, which si why we got the cycle changed. many working people stop playing at around 22:00.

and you need 30minutes to find and gather people? usually if you are in a unit, you just hop into the TS, get put into a group and drop together, that takes maybe 5 minutes. The worst case if that group is the only one and just dropped then it may, depending on how long the CW match goes be 30 Minutes, but thats not the case on daily base. You don't really cross check builds every day. And you communicate with the higher ups when you are waiting for the drop. maybe when you don't have much time, you should optimise that time schedule, because 30minutes for all this seems to be way much longe than you should need.

so yes it kinda is a bit egoistic, because when you at gmt +1 log in at 22:00 this is NOT the majority of players time when they log in. This is actually when most europeans leave the games already again. most people log in at around 8-9 playing one or two hous. Guess why the usual 20:15 time in Tv is "primetime" because there is the most money to make with advertising.

View PostUite Dauphni, on 27 January 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

No you don't. CET, Central European Time, stretches from Spain all the way to Poland. It has over 400 million people living in it, which makes it the most populated European time zone by far. It's pretty much a no-brainer that if you're considering EU times, that's what you take as default.

this is actually CET +1 ( and +2 during summertime)

Posted Image

Edited by Lily from animove, 27 January 2015 - 05:17 PM.

#15 Splitpin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationNoo Zeelund

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

NA is the majority of the player base. There was already a 1 hr compromise working against NA East Coasters to better accommodate EU players, the problem being there isn't a 8hr time difference between NA and EU. And I say this as an Oceanic (NZ) player where CeaseFire for me is 3am, yet I'm not complaining, seems to me it's the best it can be with 3 even 8 hr windows.

#16 mp00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 319 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIn a bottle, Canada

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

How about changing CF times every patch day? so about every 2 weeks the CF changes ... 1st 1 hour sooner, 2nd as is, 3rd 1 hour later.. not optimal but here is no way to appease everyone.

#17 DarkToes

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:53 PM

sorry to maybe drag this form in the opposite direction, but correct me if I'm wrong here. This game has a Cease fire for regions, meaning you can't play at certain times?

#18 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

People have this misconception that the last 2 hours matter, IT ALL MATTERS!

it makes it that much harder or easier to take or hold when the planet is already 100 percent by the last 2 hours.

#19 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:54 PM

Look while everyone argues about NA and EU, im just going to chime in here and say, what about us Australian players?

Imagine how our Westies feel being behind the East coast & then of course there is the unofficial island of Australia to the east, New Zealand (:P) that just does its own thing several hours ahead of us...

And what of the all the King Crabs residing in Christmas Island? They have their own time zone (CXT) a good 4 hours behind the rest of the world.. ..ignoring the fact that this is a completely incorrect statement... ...it is in fact a bit behind Signapore, but thats another story..

Posted Image

I mean seriously, Australia is twice the size of half the world.. ..we should have two ceasesfires. But then all the Koalas pugging it up on Uluru would probably always have something to say about that... ...and Christmas Island, jeez they would kick up a stink..

And what is with the forum not recognising Uluru as an actual word? It's one of the most famous rocks in the world.. ..goddam Microsoft.

#weallhaveproblems

:ph34r: :P ;) :D

#20 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:08 AM

View PostSplitpin, on 27 January 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

NA is the majority of the player base. There was already a 1 hr compromise working against NA East Coasters to better accommodate EU players, the problem being there isn't a 8hr time difference between NA and EU....

As I said, I think every timezone got to decide on its own what ceasefire time is best for themselves. Changing the EU ceasefire doesn´t mean other ceasefire times have to be moved.

And if that leads to the cycles not being 100% the same, what gives? Equally long cycles that are inconvenient don´t help anyone. A theoretical equality that leads to lots of people hardly playing is not equal or helpful at all.

I am not jealous or dismissive about other timezones. They will know what is best for them.

View Postjaxjace, on 27 January 2015 - 07:35 PM, said:

People have this misconception that the last 2 hours matter, IT ALL MATTERS!...

4 posts above yours. Check it. Your point has already been adressed.

I am not arguing the point. If it is true or not doesn´t matter. What matters is that player numbers drop significantly after the EU ceasefire. That is an observable fact.
Maybe you are right and they are all wrong. But the point is it makes CW more of a ghost town. So the Devs should accept the facts and react to them.

If you can convince all the people to drop after the ceasefire just as well and if you can convince PGI to make earlier games having the same impact as later ones, be my guest. You will have my sincere thanks. Until then we will have to work with what we have.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 28 January 2015 - 03:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users