258 replies to this topic

#141 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:59 AM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 29 January 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

That link states opinions and possibilities not facts. I agree that k/d is not a perfect stat but as I said it's the only one I have some modicum of control over. It also dpends as the thread said on how you get your kills.

It's not about you. It's about KDR in general. The fact that KDR can be (and has been) artificially inflated makes it nearly meaningless and not worth pursuing.

#142 Catra Lanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

View PostTriordinant, on 29 January 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

It's not about you. It's about KDR in general. The fact that KDR can be (and has been) artificially inflated makes it nearly meaningless and not worth pursuing.

I don't inflate my k/d that way so "semi cheats" do not apply to me.

#143 Devilsfury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:18 AM

Whoever made up the rules has never played or is just plain stupid. But..I do understand part of their point. They dont want us; the player base, telling other people how to play their game. I get that. The thing I dont get is when some @sshat literally shoots once then goes off and hides with 10 minutes left in the game when its 11-1 or whatever. You are just trolling and keeping 23 other people in game because you are being an idiot. THAT is something that should be banable but PGI is too stupid to see it.

Edited by Devilsfury, 29 January 2015 - 08:32 AM.

#144 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 29 January 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

Yes but seeing as I am getting into that age range where I will be the old slow fart. I likely have better insurance than you do, and your driving fast and not paying attention will not raise my rates. :P

I'm near there myself. Just try to only have your blinker on when you actually do want to turn, please.

#145 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:25 AM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 29 January 2015 - 08:16 AM, said:

If you don't do any of that stuff (except for those paltry 7 times out of 3,000) and keep your stats to yourself, then you should be good. Just remember when comparing your KDR with another player's KDR that you have no way of knowing how much of that player's KDR is due to skill and how much is due to "semi-cheats" as you call them.

#146 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:34 AM

View PostDevilsfury, on 29 January 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

Whoever made up the rules has never played or is just plain stupid. But..I do understand part of their point. They dont want us; the player base, telling other people how to play their game. I get that. The thing I dont get is when some @sshat literally shoots once then goes off and hides with 10 minutes left in the game when its 11-1 or whatever. You are just trolling and keeping 23 other people in game because you are being an idiot. THAT is something that should be banable but PGI is too stupid to see it.

You are talking about something entirely different.

View PostTriordinant, on 29 January 2015 - 08:25 AM, said:

If you don't do any of that stuff (except for those paltry 7 times out of 3,000) and keep your stats to yourself, then you should be good. Just remember when comparing your KDR with another player's KDR that you have no way of knowing how much of that player's KDR is due to skill and how much is due to "semi-cheats" as you call them.

I am aware of that, it's enough for me to know that I didn't use any of those methods and that my k/d is mine, be it 0.8 or 2.2.

#147 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostRorvik, on 28 January 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

Then you're a rarity, because I see a lot of people brag about how pointless their 4:1 K/D is.

Because it is pointless. K/D is dramatically affected by play style and the performance of your teammates.

At one point I had a K/D over 7, but I wasn't enjoying playing the game because that style isn't how I like to play. So I said screw it, started playing the way that I enjoy, and now my K/D is ~1.5 (which also includes a stats reset). My W/L is ~1.1.

If your K/D is 0.8 and your W/L is ~1.0, but you cause chaos in the enemy ranks and tank for a sniper teammate whose K/D is 3.0, then you are an asset to your team.

#148 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:50 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 29 January 2015 - 04:24 AM, said:

Is there a speed Minimum in this 100km/h zone? If not... No foul. It sucks but still no foul obeying the law.

Here in WA, if there are 5 cars backed up behind you, you are required to pull over and allow them to pass. Note that it says nothing about how fast you are going. This law applies even if you are speeding. I.e. if you're going 65 in a 60 zone, but there are 5 cars backed up behind you, then you're breaking two laws at once.

So while there may or may not be a minimum speed in addition to a speed limit, if you're impeding the flow of traffic you're breaking the law.

#149 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:18 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 29 January 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

Here in WA, if there are 5 cars backed up behind you, you are required to pull over and allow them to pass. Note that it says nothing about how fast you are going. This law applies even if you are speeding. I.e. if you're going 65 in a 60 zone, but there are 5 cars backed up behind you, then you're breaking two laws at once.

So while there may or may not be a minimum speed in addition to a speed limit, if you're impeding the flow of traffic you're breaking the law.
I will try to remember that if I am in WA. :huh:

#150 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 29 January 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

I will try to remember that if I am in WA. :huh:

If it's a multi-lane road and you're in the left lane (not counting carpool lanes, if any), then you're required to yield to faster moving traffic. Even just one car. ;)

#151 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 29 January 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

If it's a multi-lane road and you're in the left lane (not counting carpool lanes, if any), then you're required to yield to faster moving traffic. Even just one car. ;)

Here in Texas as well.

Plus, we have the "Texas Friendly". Where you are legally allowed to drive on the shoulder of single line highways, if they are improved shoulders (i.e. paved) and it is safe to do so, in order to allow faster traffic to pass.

#152 Utilyan

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:00 AM

If its a loss CW match, and depending on how many folks are attacking and defending it might be in your interest to stretch the clock, more so if your a defender since you can win with clock.

But if its for KD ratio you fail. If you even glance at your KD ratio your a noob.

You know what my KD ratio is? Its a AC/10 with I don't ******* care written on it.

The Best measure of skill in this game is.....................FRAMES PER SECOND. :lol:

I've seen the most stupid fricken pilots with 12 weapons and 2 weapon groups.....don't target enemy........BRAWL zoomed in........dueling lights circling....walking forward............TOP OF THE SCORE LIST. This is the ACE pilot.

What do they got? better rig.

ultimately skill aside, the greatest mechwarriors of all is not the guy who can wipe everyone out. Its the one who will have you laughing the entire match or takes the roleplaying to the next level.

#153 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 28 January 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

Do I shut down every game I can not win? Far from it, i might do it 1 game out of 100 but after 10 losses in a row I made the decision not to backslide anymore and I don't apologize for it.

Most of us could care less if you don't want to apologize for it. It's not as if apologizing, were you to do it would make it any less of a dyck move in our opinions.

What most of you that post about this are doing is seeking validation that this "tactic" is a good move. Just because it's not against any rules doesn't make it honorable, okay, or pardonable. So naturally, those who like trolling, acting out on the interwebs, who get some feeling of power/validation from wasting peoples time are going to flock to you and you will all have a big group hug together as you "laugh" at us.

It's OK though, because I don't care for those types and they don't have any influence on how I carry on.

#154 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 29 January 2015 - 08:16 AM, said:

ACTUALLY...

Your very own third post on this thread, which started all of this conversation(which has been rather good I must add, love that there's little, if any, real bsing), stats you shut down specifically to protect your KDR, therefore....

You inflated your own KDR.

Seriously, that's exactly what you did and you can try to rationalize it any way you want, the fact remains, you inflated your own KDR.

Remember that the next time you look at that KDR with such..whatever. It's not a reflection of your skill or ability, it's a reflection of your avoiding playing the game in the spirit it was intended in order to inflate your KDR.

#155 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:15 PM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 28 January 2015 - 04:34 AM, said:

Are the rules put up somewhwre, I can't find them? I've read several threads that say that if you power down and have participated to the best of your ability you are within your rights to do so.

I just got reported for holding 23 players up which I feel I didn't. When someone powers down I don't get upset. I recognize that he is within his rights to do anything to stay alive except exploiting of course. It's the opposing teams job to ferret the guy out. I help search or if I am on the loosing side I either watch what will happen or simply launch another mech.

Those 23 players are being selfish then. If you did any damage, walked around ineffectively, and then chose to shut down rather than be a notch on some punk's mech, you did nothing wrong.

PGI has not offered you a 'retreat' function without severely penalizing you. You can't eject and give them the victory, so the fault for this situation these put upon 23 is PGIs. How about complaining to the proper people about the real problem: surrendering is required, particularly on skirmish.

The next time, remind these people they pledged 15 minutes for the match. You're playing your way since you are not allowed to voluntarily give the superior force the victory under that time without penalty, they must find you or wait.

Then if anyone gives out your position, screenshot it and report them to support@mwomercs.com for team treason. (Include match map, approximate time and offending parties with the Screenshot if possible)

#156 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

View PostSoultraxx, on 28 January 2015 - 04:46 AM, said:

Hello OP

You do realise that your team mates will probably just give your position to the enemy anyway if a loss is on the cards.

now that IS completely against code of conduct, when OP's behaviour isn't

#157 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

It's probably not formally against the rules, but it should be. MechWarrior 2 had a great out-of-bounds message "You have fled from combat. Cowardice will not be tolerated."

Yes, all 24 players have committed to 15 minutes of fighting, but they have committed to FIGHT for those 15 minutes. The only possible justification you could have for this is if it's skirmish and you have no weapons left and thus absolutely no way to win. If you give up before the game is over, you should at least get a temp ban.

#158 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 29 January 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

ACTUALLY...

Your very own third post on this thread, which started all of this conversation(which has been rather good I must add, love that there's little, if any, real bsing), stats you shut down specifically to protect your KDR, therefore....

Seriously, that's exactly what you did and you can try to rationalize it any way you want, the fact remains, you inflated your own KDR.

Remember that the next time you look at that KDR with such..whatever. It's not a reflection of your skill or ability, it's a reflection of your avoiding playing the game in the spirit it was intended in order to inflate your KDR.

No I did not, you see survival unless I exploit is entirely within my rights and part of the 15 min. battle. Inflating would be dropping with a group and executing alts. or dropping with some people and taking turns to get the kills in situations that allow it, over and over again. Or I could start a new account and go club baby seals.

#159 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:51 PM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 29 January 2015 - 01:39 PM, said:

No I did not, you see survival unless I exploit is entirely within my rights and part of the 15 min. battle. Inflating would be dropping with a group and executing alts. or dropping with some people and taking turns to get the kills in situations that allow it, over and over again. Or I could start a new account and go club baby seals.

Your own statement in your third post counters any rationalization you toss out, you shut down simply to protect your own KDR, which means you purposely inflated your KDR. Whether or not it's within your right to shutdown while being the last Mech standing on your team in Skirmish is another thing altogether, and one PGI isn't even certain they want to continue to allow currently, they DO want us to report anyone doing that, they DO check on the reports and check the player's history, so it's obviously something they are still considering making against the rules.

You stated why you shut down, to protect your KDR. You damned yourself with that statement.

#160 Desdain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNewark, DE

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 29 January 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

ACTUALLY...

Because hiding from the other team take no skill right?

That doesn't even pass the smell test. When I play a match I fight hard, and if I find myself in the position of not being able to fight any more (all weapons destroyed), you're damned right I'm going to work hard to keep the other team from enjoying killing me. I will evade, run and hide to the best of my ability. If they can't find me, then it's affirmation to me that I was superior at surviving.

If the other team doesn't like this, then I would suggest they get BAP and coordinate to find and eliminate me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users