Balance BattleMechs

106 replies to this topic

#41 Golden Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 656 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:12 AM

Clan mechs don't need quirks, they need Endo Steel.

Thunderbolt fires PPCs better than the Timberwolf, don't know why that means the Timberwolf needs to be nerfed. Timberwolf doesn't have any quirks worth mentioning, so even if you removed them, wouldn't make any difference for that mech.

#42 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:34 AM

View PostFupDup, on 31 January 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

The official reason for the MGs is that they're afraid a 6 MG Spider would have a devastating effect on the back of an Atlas.

Posted Image

Flamers though could be anyone's guess.

Well to be fair...Wouldn't you run if you saw a spider with guns zipped tied to its legs?

#43 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

They need to reduce quirks overall and fix some of the other glaring issues like:
-mechs with poor engine caps (ie. Awesome 8 series, Highlanders, Blackjacks, Vindicators)
-buff internal structure in IS mechs across the board
-improve mobility in certain mechs
-favorably adjust hitboxes

Then they need to buff up the IS weapons and some clan weapons too. PPCs are rarely used outside of the 9S. IS medium lasers unless quirked beyond belief are woefully behind ERMLs.

#44 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

La Malinche

The main problem this mech has is that anything it can do, most IS assaults can do better coupled with extremely low mounts for energy weapons. The low mounts encourage a more brawlier playstyle, but the weapon hardpoints and quirks feel contrary to that (For instance, encouraging AC10 over AC20 etc..). I'd suggest adjusting its LPL quirks to MPLs and AC10 to AC20 or maybe even AC5. The other issue is that unlike the other banshees, you can't shield with your arms as doing so results in losing some of your main weapons. This is especially problematic for an assault that wants to get into close range. Just throwing my 2c out there.

I really want to love this mech, but at the same time I can't deny it has serious issues barring it from anything aside from casual play.

Edited by Evan20k, 31 January 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

View Postxe N on, on 31 January 2015 - 01:15 AM, said:

The quirkening actually didn't improve the balance between mechs.It just create a new league of meta mechs that outperform all other

I cannot speak for the Clans, but here my list of mechs that need more quirks:

Ember (and only the Ember)
Cicadas
Shadowhawks (beside the K)
Atlas
Victor
Highlander
Jenner

more concerned with the Mechs that need LESS quirkening. Like pretty much anything named Thunderbolt. But especially the 9S.

#46 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 January 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

more concerned with the Mechs that need LESS quirkening. Like pretty much anything named Thunderbolt. But especially the 9S.

Its not only the Thunderbolts. If I drive my FS-9S it's like easy mode compared to my Ember. And all these next to 50% cooldown quirks for some weapons on some mediums are quite too much too.

#47 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

View Postxe N on, on 31 January 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

Its not only the Thunderbolts. If I drive my FS-9S it's like easy mode compared to my Ember. And all these next to 50% cooldown quirks for some weapons on some mediums are quite too much too.

True enough. Though though butthurt QQ from the apologists for both, is to me, when combined with their sheer prevalence, proof of their OP nature.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 31 January 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#48 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 31 January 2015 - 03:21 AM, said:

All Locusts need a firepower boost. The LCT-3M already has good firepower, but it's not enough.

Ravens, Commandos, and Locusts need some extra leg armour. Especially Locusts.

pls no. Half the fun is figuring out how to maximize utility from what it is restricted to. It's already pretty ridiculous that I can strap four MedLas onto one and just core things out at 380 meters non-stop while presenting the smallest target profile in the game at 170 kph. Who even needs the Locust IIC with that being a thing?

I'm on the fence about the legs, though I wouldn't be as upset over them receiving another buff as I would be about it getting another firepower buff.

I do think Catapults, Blackjacks, JagerMechs, need looked at with regards to quirks. The ones they have just plan don't make sense. Blackjacks, especially. Jagers need a serious buff to the side torsos because they are massive and I die in 0.5 seconds using an XL and so do the people I shoot at doing the same. The 'Mech is a bit of a joke. Catapults...well...it's almost like they didn't get any quirks at all.

#49 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:01 PM

Lots of crazy IS over-quirked mechs for new metas.

Typical PGI thing, really. Encourage people to go back and buy other Tbolts so they can abuse the 9S, etc with other abusive metas.

#50 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

PGI gib Onions structure buffs.

Jenners, Commandos, BJs, Vindis, Trebs, Quickdraws and Awesomes also need a lot of help.

#51 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:05 PM

Clams have yet to get their quirk pass. I've had to shelve the NopeVa due to being as wide as an Awesome, yet having significantly less armour. And larger arms.

Mist Lynx, Ice Ferret, Badder, Nova, Thor and Mr Gargles are all objectively inferior to their competitors.

The Cute Fox might stand for something, since it is a fair bit larger than a Spider. They could probably focus more on durability than weapon quirks, for some chassis' at least. Nova doesn't need any additional RoF...it needs to be able to keep an arm.

Has there been an ETA on the Clan quirk pass yet?

#52 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

The Vindicators were not quirked as if they are T5 mechs. For instance, take a look at the St. Ives' Blue:

VND-1SIB - St. Ives’ Blues
Large Laser Range +7.5%
Energy Weapon Range +7.5%
Laser Duration -20%
Missile Weapon Cooldown +10%

^T5 quirks, folks. Fear the +15% LL range. For a mech that needs so much help, these quirks don't fit the bill. The SIB was quirked as if it was a higher tier mech, while its quirk fall far short, even of every other Vindicator. There is literally no reason to take the SIB over the 1AA, and the SIB costs real money.

Then there's the Quickdraw 5K:

QKD-5K
Additional Armor (LA&RA) +10
Additional Structure (LL&RL) +7
PPC Velocity +15%
Energy Weapon Heat Generation -10%

Annother T4/5 mech getting absolutely hosed. It got quirked as if it's some kind of T2 wrecking machine. I assure you, it is not. Get rid of the current quirks and give it some serious help.

All of the Vindis and QKDs need help, I chose these two as the most egregious. The VND-1X in particular needs some huge ballistic buffs.

#53 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

I think I've come to terms, and I'm ready to admit that the 9S needs a slight nerf. The amount of PPC spam during this event has been making the game frustrating.

IS Mechs needing some love:

Commandos
Spiders
Blackjacks
Vindicators
Kintaro
Quickdraw
Catapult
Orion
Awesome
Victor
Battlemaster
Highlander
Atlas

Mechs needing a rethinking of quirks, at least a few of them. Not all bad

Locusts - 1V, man. Terrible
Cicada - 3S is "okay"
Centurion - The D is iffy
Cataphract - The 3D is not as good as some think. Jump meta is dead

Clan mechs:
Everything that isn't a Stormcrow, Hellbringer, Timberwolf of Direwolf

Edited by Greenjulius, 31 January 2015 - 01:55 PM.

#54 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostKevjack, on 31 January 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

The Vindicators were not quirked as if they are T5 mechs. For instance, take a look at the St. Ives' Blue:

VND-1SIB - St. Ives’ Blues
Large Laser Range +7.5%
Energy Weapon Range +7.5%
Laser Duration -20%
Missile Weapon Cooldown +10%

^T5 quirks, folks. Fear the +15% LL range. For a mech that needs so much help, these quirks don't fit the bill. The SIB was quirked as if it was a higher tier mech, while its quirk fall far short, even of every other Vindicator. There is literally no reason to take the SIB over the 1AA, and the SIB costs real money.

Then there's the Quickdraw 5K:

QKD-5K
Additional Armor (LA&RA) +10
Additional Structure (LL&RL) +7
PPC Velocity +15%
Energy Weapon Heat Generation -10%

Annother T4/5 mech getting absolutely hosed. It got quirked as if it's some kind of T2 wrecking machine. I assure you, it is not. Get rid of the current quirks and give it some serious help.

All of the Vindis and QKDs need help, I chose these two as the most egregious. The VND-1X in particular needs some huge ballistic buffs.

PGI subtracts quirks for JJs, which probably explains why those certain chassis and others got pooped on. It's a pretty silly policy, because JJs already are used to set the mech's tier, which sets the buffs in exchange.

#55 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

There is something fundamentally wrong with the idea of quirking being the way to balance IS vs Clan. Quirks should be a way to make the subpar chassis, on both sides, viable in relation to the good ones. What we have now is a situation where only the uberquirked IS mechs can stand up to the Timberwold, Dire, Hellbringer and stormcrow.

This IMO is a design failure, the best chassis on both sides should be comparably good without any quirks at all, in other words Clan tech and IS tech should have been balanced before any quirks were even considered. All quirks should be removed, then IS and Clan tech should be tinkered with until they are roughly equal, then the subpar mechs should be quirked to match the tier 1 mechs. This means significantly weaker quirks across the board, and significant adjustments to clan and IS tech. The suggestion of doubling IS internal structure would be a good starting point.

#56 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

The TDR-9s,TDR-5SS, Wolverines 6k and 7k and the Banshees and firestarters all need more quirks.

#57 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

KGC-000 Needs a 33% increase in UAC/5 speed desperately.

View PostSjorpha, on 31 January 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

There is something fundamentally wrong with the idea of quirking being the way to balance IS vs Clan. Quirks should be a way to make the subpar chassis, on both sides, viable in relation to the good ones. What we have now is a situation where only the uberquirked IS mechs can stand up to the Timberwold, Dire, Hellbringer and stormcrow.

This IMO is a design failure, the best chassis on both sides should be comparably good without any quirks at all, in other words Clan tech and IS tech should have been balanced before any quirks were even considered. All quirks should be removed, then IS and Clan tech should be tinkered with until they are roughly equal, then the subpar mechs should be quirked to match the tier 1 mechs. This means significantly weaker quirks across the board, and significant adjustments to clan and IS tech. The suggestion of doubling IS internal structure would be a good starting point.

No, the range/heat/tonnage/space advantage that the clans has over IS is not made up for the slightly weakened focused damage nerf that the clans get.

#58 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

Wait you think the 5S (not SS) and 9SE need nerfed?

The 5SS really isn't all that OP..it's no better than the pre ghost heat AC40 Jager was. Easily defeatable. Arguably more so.

Edited by Mavairo, 31 January 2015 - 01:39 PM.

#59 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

View PostFupDup, on 31 January 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

PGI subtracts quirks for JJs, which probably explains why those certain chassis and others got pooped on. It's a pretty silly policy, because JJs already are used to set the mech's tier, which sets the buffs in exchange.

it is pretty damn dumb.

Vindicator had JJs when it was ranked tier 5. So not sure why they should be held against them.

View PostMavairo, on 31 January 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

Wait you think the 5S (not SS) and 9SE need nerfed?

The 5SS really isn't all that OP..it's no better than the pre ghost heat AC40 Jager was. Easily defeatable. Arguably more so.

wait...there are other TBolts beside the 9s and 5SS? You'd never know since you never see them.

It was a hyperbolistic statement. Like most made in these forums.

#60 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:47 PM

View PostRhent, on 31 January 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

No, the range/heat/tonnage/space advantage that the clans has over IS is not made up for the slightly weakened focused damage nerf that the clans get.

Eh? I'm saying they need significant changes to be balanced, and you seem to agree? I didn't say they were balanced as is, just that quirks is a bad way of balancing.

Edited by Sjorpha, 31 January 2015 - 01:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users