Elephant In The Room: Module Prices

84 replies to this topic

#1 SURUBAMAN

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

Most modules cost 3 million - some 6 million cbills. Now that community warfare is mostly rolled out, it's become more important to own multiple modules- many of them duplicates, so your mechs can be drop-ready. Unfortunately, paying for all these modules leaves little left to spend on buying new chassis. Some have essentially given up on modules. I'd say half of my drops in pug's happen without me visiting my mech bay. It's too frustrating to find modules that I have locked onto CW decks and buying new ones is just not worth the cbill.

I understand that PGI is trying its best to make money. After all, this is a business. But I think they are not leaving us any options on the module front. There should be an incentive for us to spend MCs on modules. Since mechs have "Mastery Packs" for various chassis, I don't see why we would have options to buy multiple modules in one package. There could be a "Targeting module package" which includes Target Info Gathering, Radar Deprivation, 360' Retention, and Advanced Target Decay. A package like this could go for 1500 MC. I imagine that people would end up purchasing multiples of such packages as they keep on acquiring more and more chassis.

The number one reason I enjoy continuing on Mechwarrior Online is because I look forward to starting my next chassis to grind. But that is happening less and less frequently. It's not like I don't buy mech packs. I am eagerly awaiting my Resistance (Wrath) pack! But I still want the option of earning more CBills or having a relatively inexpensive option to buy my modules since my precious CBills have been sent to that rather than populating my empty mech bays.

PGI, more mechs means more mech bay purchases and more module purchases. If you make us waste millions of CBills on modules which we end-up misplacing in some errant mech we forgot about, how do you expect us to purchase more mechs (mech bays)?

Please come up with some solution to the module pricing issue. I remember Russ was considering making a new sort of module that would cost less Cbills but would be permanently affixed to a specific mech. This is "a" solution. But I still feel like a better one (which doesn't preclude the former proposal) is to make module packages available via MC purchase.

#2 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:20 AM

I wouldn't mind modules being available for MC, after all, consumables are.

People would start moaning about p2w though like there was no tomorrow

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:38 AM

Module Sale 30%-50% off!

#4 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:50 AM

My thoughts from a previous topic on this:

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 30 January 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

Really there's no excuse as to why modules can't be shared between mechs once you purchase them in the same way many games do these days. Especially now that it costs ~20 million cbills to apply modules to a SINGLE mech, the implication that I should have to shell that out for every single mech I have AFTER buying it and building it just so I don't have to hunt them down and switch them around every time I change mechs is absurd and insulting, and simply reeks of being a dirty way to try and nudge players into spending more on MC. The truth is I would be inclined to spend more on this game if this frustrating issue was addressed, and I don't even care about being refunded for duplicate modules. As it stands it just looks like pure laziness at best and devious coercion at worst, and I feel obligated to refuse to dump money or cbills into avoiding this nuisance.

I feel okay with pretty much every other pricing setup applied to this game through various packages and store prices, but this one particular "feature" which has stood for far too long and only gotten worse with the addition of new modules is a huge, glaring black mark in my eyes. The longer it has stood, the more disgusting and suspicious it looks.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 31 January 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

My thoughts from a previous topic on this:
Really there's no excuse as to why modules can't be shared between mechs once you purchase them in the same way many games do these days. Especially now that it costs ~20 million cbills to apply modules to a SINGLE mech, the implication that I should have to shell that out for every single mech I have AFTER buying it and building it just so I don't have to hunt them down and switch them around every time I change mechs is absurd and insulting, and simply reeks of being a dirty way to try and nudge players into spending more on MC. The truth is I would be inclined to spend more on this game if this frustrating issue was addressed, and I don't even care about being refunded for duplicate modules. As it stands it just looks like pure laziness at best and devious coercion at worst, and I feel obligated to refuse to dump money or cbills into avoiding this nuisance.

I feel okay with pretty much every other pricing setup applied to this game through various packages and store prices, but this one particular "feature" which has stood for far too long and only gotten worse with the addition of new modules is a huge, glaring black mark in my eyes. The longer it has stood, the more disgusting and suspicious it looks.
Not bad logic from a player perspective with maybe a few exceptions. Some of these Modules are/may represent actual modifications to the standard equipment in the Mech. But the fact that these cost as much as a light Mech... does seem excessive. I am not against grinding for them, but you did bring up a good point.

#6 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

As a completely free to play guy (I haven't spent a penny on the game yet), I have absolutely no complaints with the pricing for the modules. I own 19 mechs and I have enough modules to have 5 or 6 mechs completely kitted out at any one time.

BUT... we need the little window in the UI that pops out to show the mech loadout... we need that to show equipped modules as well. Plain and simple. (and that pop-out needs to appear faster... it's so bloody slow!)

#7 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

They could go a few ways with it. As it is, they are priced in that range where many individual modules are more expensive than many actual mechs.

- Keep the price or even inflate it, but let them be used across all mechs like an unlock. This becomes "end game" pursuit and will give people plenty to spend XP and cash on.

- Drop the price significantly; give people multiples of any module they currently have and steer the game more towards trying to kit out each mech and keep it kitted. If they were 25% of the cost (say) people might think of them as more part of a mech build and keep it somewhat static rather than swapping them around.

Both solve the issue of module loading, finding and waiting for the mech to save.

#8 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:13 AM

I think it would be nice for non-CW drops to have infinite number of purchased modules so that I don't have to move them around between every match. For CW, I get that it makes sense to need multiple copies of the same modules since you need multiple mechs. But cut me some slack on the regular games and the moving modules around dance.

#9 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:19 AM

Honestly, I think module prices are fine. The cost of DHS is much more annoying in my opinion, because DHS is a requirement for any mech. Modules are just a c-bill sink for those who want to squeeze everthing out of their most beloved mechs. You don't need them to make your mech effective.

But an option for searching modules, that would be amazing.

#10 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostNextGame, on 31 January 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

I wouldn't mind modules being available for MC, after all, consumables are.

C-bills are available for MC. However, I think someone worked out the prices and found that the most efficient way to turn MC into c-bills is to buy and sell off a Champion Jenner.

#11 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:00 AM

This and the upgrades need a change, they should be significantly more expensive, but once they're unlocked, they're done. It's really annoying to have to hunt down the modules you want when building a new mech.

#12 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:05 AM

Module prices have been a complaint of many players for a very long time.

Personally, I think consumable prices are fine. The other modules, however, I'd rather see priced at 50% of what they are now. That prices Weapon modules at the same level as the DHS upgrade, and Mech modules would more in the range of an engine. As things stand now, you wind up paying more for a module than you do for a fat XL.

Alternatively, add equipped modules to the Salvage calculation. It'd bump up income, helping with the grind and making modules as they're currently priced more affordable. Note, though, that I prefer the price reduction to this alternative.

#13 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

View PostEscef, on 31 January 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

C-bills are available for MC. However, I think someone worked out the prices and found that the most efficient way to turn MC into c-bills is to buy and sell off a Champion Jenner.

Cicada, actually. I think the Jenner was second most efficient?

http://mwomercs.com/...e-is-math-here/

#14 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:52 AM

Modules for MC - NO (You'd just be making them pay to win, which we don't need.)

Module cost reduction - NO (As someone who owns only a few modules so far I see them as the end of the line for mech improvement. They're meant to be endgame content after you've XPed the mech out and do not actually cost that much. By the time you've modified and XPed it out, you should have at least half the CBills for modules depending on the mech and what you want in it.)

In my opinion modules are a bad concept in combination with quirks and the terrible balancing we've had. Weapons being nerfed only to be brought back up by the two. It also means that if you don't use modules you're at a disadvantage and the old trade off system was a much better balanced concept (though needed fine tuning) especially with the multiple types of weapon modules available.

#15 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

I don't like the concept of modules, it makes no sense in the Battletech world, but they make people play and spend more, therefore, I don't think PGI will change anything.

#16 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 31 January 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

I don't like the concept of modules, it makes no sense in the Battletech world, but they make people play and spend more, therefore, I don't think PGI will change anything.

I like it from the perspective that it emulates real time 'tinkering' of systems. However the trade off design was much better and more realistic. A laser beam or ballistic weapon that hits farther will have to produce more energy, thus creating more heat. A weapon firing faster (cooldown) would have less time to produce energy, meaning it would go as far.

Improved/Trade Off
Range/Heat
Cooldown/Range
Heat/Cooldown (would allow a great number of weapons to fire at a higher cooldown)

These weren't supposed to be the endgame 'must-have'. They were supposed to be tweaks to the mech's performance in order to tailor a weapon more to a player's style or weapons loadout, to improve the variety of builds.

Edited by MauttyKoray, 31 January 2015 - 11:20 AM.

#17 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 31 January 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

I like it from the perspective that it emulates real time 'tinkering' of systems. However the trade off design was much better and more realistic. A laser beam or ballistic weapon that hits farther will have to produce more energy, thus creating more heat. A weapon firing faster (cooldown) would have less time to produce energy, meaning it would go as far.

Improved/Trade Off
Range/Heat
Cooldown/Range
Heat/Cooldown (would allow a great number of weapons to fire at a higher cooldown)

These weren't supposed to be the endgame 'must-have'. They were supposed to be tweaks to the mech's performance in order to tailor a weapon more to a player's style or weapons loadout, to improve the variety of builds.

The reason the tradeoff design didn't work in the past was because mech modules and consumables never had a downside in the first place, they were just direct upgrades. If you want weapon mods to be sidegrades that's okay, but you're gonna have to make EVERY module like that or else people will just use the ones that don't have weaknesses (like how nobody used the original implementation of weapon mods).

#18 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

I think they should remove all weapon based modules (range, cooldown) and put those into a clumped skills.
master level
"Cooldown" levels 1-5. affecting all weapons
"Range" levels 1-5 affecting all weapons.

make the skill tree a bit more interesting especially since skill points on some mechs are entirely wasted.

C-bills should go to equipment and mechs.
Skill points should make you feel like you are piloting your mech better. knowing its limits and how to tweak it to run better.

#19 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostBrody319, on 31 January 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

I think they should remove all weapon based modules (range, cooldown) and put those into a clumped skills.
master level
"Cooldown" levels 1-5. affecting all weapons
"Range" levels 1-5 affecting all weapons.

make the skill tree a bit more interesting especially since skill points on some mechs are entirely wasted.

C-bills should go to equipment and mechs.
Skill points should make you feel like you are piloting your mech better. knowing its limits and how to tweak it to run better.

The skill system was supposed to be entirely reworked to become an actual tree requiring a pilot to decide how they wanted to play the mech, gaining better attributes at one thing in trade off for not being better at something else, or a general jack of all trades mech that's slightly better at everything but not great at anything. This change never came and we still have the place holder skill system.

#20 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

Only the Penny less broken unwashed care about P2W. Get AJOB Losers!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users