Elephant In The Room: Module Prices

84 replies to this topic

#81 Torgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:47 AM

View PostMawai, on 02 February 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

Would you complain more about modules with high cbill prices or high MC prices? I can see why PGI might have avoided touching this one.

The solution I think is rather obvious: lower the CBill price for modules and then they wouldn't cost as much for MC either. Then people would not feel it's too unattainable to get modules for CBills, so getting them for MC would be more acceptable too. But hey what I consider reasonable seldom coincides with what PGI think.

#82 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:43 AM

I think a fair number of repliers are missing the most relevant points.

It isn't that the modules are OP, or impossible to afford, or that 10% makes a huge difference, or that the current system is fine if you only play 2-3 mechs etc.

MWO desperately needs new players, more players, happier players, and most of all, paying players.

The point is that the current Module system works against these goals rather than towards them.

The current system is, frankly, outrageously expensive (single ability modules costing more than medium/heavy mechs). It is grindy. It is clunky and inconvenient. It pretty much forces you to spend weeks of profit for small gains if you want to CW or play more than 2-3 mechs regularly.

It also puts newer players at even more of a disadvantage against long-time players than they already are. A 10% cooldown module won't make a newbie into an ace, but when the newbie has no modules and the long-time player has several, the odds are seriously against him (and no, ELO and/or MM don't solve that problem, at least currently).

Easy modifications to the module system would make it remain a C-Bill sink/premium incentive, but make it more accessible to newer/casual players, and to the people who own and play lots of mechs, not just a handful. I believe those are the players MWO should be encouraging.

Edited by MadBadger, 02 February 2015 - 09:44 AM.

#83 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

So much of these issues could be solved by a better inventory screen. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow us to see equipped items from our inventory, maybe put the equipped amount in parentheses. so ERPPCs 2(6) for 2 in stock 6 on mechs, and allow us to remove items from that screen, stripping them off a mech at random. They are monetizing the UI, by making is SO CLUNKY and HORRIBLE that you are encouraged to buy duplicates of everything for more than just CW. If they fix it we can just pull our modules and swap them at will, rather than hunting through our mechlab for that one target decay module... know it's on one of these mechs...

Edited by LordBraxton, 02 February 2015 - 10:06 AM.

#84 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostMadBadger, on 02 February 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

[snip]
MWO desperately needs new players, more players, happier players, and most of all, paying players.
[snip]

It's a good point. I have LOOOOOADS of mechs to use, both to alleviate boredom, but also a few heroes to build up c-bills, if needed. A new player, especially one still using trial mechs, doesn't have that option, and $3 million is a plateau they will feel is unobtainable.

My first mech was a Cicada 3C, mainly because I didn't understand that the earning bonuses for my first matches were a temporary level. It took me a long, long, long time to get my next mech with c-bills (Stalkers). Once there, I was able to start grinding properly, but it was a very long, slow climb just because I picked a bad mech to start with.

#85 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:46 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 01 February 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

CW and tier 3+ ghetto matches are as competitive as this game gets.

Modules aren't optional. I know many units who require modules and mastered mechs now, or they won't let you drop with the competitive/semi-comp/serious groups. Even for solo scrubs in the deepest depths of the underhive, having modules is a huge advantage - one enemies will have on you if you don't bring your own, which would equalize the fight.

Like hadokens in street fighter, modules aren't something that only the top 1% use, and the cost is hurting the game. Your post reads like the typical gold elitist excuse I've come to expect from this game. Why do you feel it's good to wall off parts of the game for new and returning players?

At the rate we're going, 2015 won't be the year MWO recovers, but the year MWO closes.

I've crushed many people using module in just basic skill mechs before. Its not the 'end all be all' that people like to think. I agree the system needs to be revisited, that the skill tree needs to be finally worked on (we have a place holder right now...yeah...) and that the game needs a UI overhaul along with a new player tutorial/guidance that makes the game's mechanics and numbers more meaningful and less gibberish to those who don't already know what they are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users